Elon Musk: Officially a fraud and piece of shit. Official or unofficial war criminal?

MaybeACoordinator

53 minutes ago, Fudge Nuggets said:

Not worst in acceleration because of the slipping accelerator pedal cheat code, right?

"Up, Up, Down, Down, Left, Right, Left, Right, B, A, and Start" is totally something Elon would do

15 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

This is the most inexplicable part to me.  The other are just sub-optimal business decisions, the sort of thing that happens.

But hyper-politicizing a major consumer product?  I mean, even Michael Jordan observed "Republicans buy shoes too."  Ford and Chevy and BMW and functionally every other auto maker don't tie the image and marketing of their products to a particular (and extreme and polarizing to boot) political ethos.  Sure, there are political identities that identify more with particular products (I'm guessing that more Republicans buy Ford and Chevy trucks, and more dems buy Priuses and Accords), but the manufacturers wisely (well, actually, EASILY, because they don't get in that game to begin with) avoided having their products tied to a politically polarizing position.  Elon....not so much.  AND, he picked the dumbest group to cater to.  Sorry, Elon....incels and blind fanbois aren't going to produce the sales figures you need to succeed.

Mind-bottling

• Haha 1

7 minutes ago, Aqua Buddha said:

Yeah, finally saw one in person.  Surprised how small the bed was.  Basically like a Honda Ridgeline.

funny you should mention that:

honda ridgeline bed size: 64" with 50" between wheelwells - it's 210.2" long

cybertruck: 66" length with 51" between wheelwells - it's 223.7" long

this is the preproduction truck over the ridgeline

image.png.b20d1617d2cfd1b5949f263e569cadcd.png

here is a side by side someone took lol

20240302_142510-jpg.40246

• Haha 2

2 hours ago, NoName said:

f4e7a98d-70ae-457e-89a6-972d188153d1_tex

major layoffs coming, both open and stealth. somewhere between 10 and 20% (14-28k folks globally?) RIF

firing 10+% of your workforce is a great indicator for growth - right?

+

the CEO of a 140k employee company now saying he must approve ALL NEW HIRES

we've all worked at companies where you have seen a version of this. Elon sending it to all employees is just cherry on top lol

and 100% of the time it's bad.

going on a full hiring freeze to the level your micromanager CEO has to individually approve hires is a great indicator for growth, right?

+

cutting shift time on the Cybertruck production line by 12.5% 5 months in to delivery and with 3 days notice is totally normal, right?

https://www.businessinsider.com/tesla-tells-cybertruck-employees-shifts-shorter-austin-gigafactory-2024-4

all totally normal things for a company with "unlimited growth potential"

100% self induced. If he would’ve just continued to keep his political opinions to himself and focus on his companies, this wouldn’t be happening. 

• Hook 'Em 1

24 minutes ago, NoName said:

funny you should mention that:

honda ridgeline bed size: 64" with 50" between wheelwells - it's 210.2" long

cybertruck: 66" length with 51" between wheelwells - it's 223.7" long

this is the preproduction truck over the ridgeline

image.png.b20d1617d2cfd1b5949f263e569cadcd.png

here is a side by side someone took lol

20240302_142510-jpg.40246

The cybertruck is stupid and sucks.

But I would still take one over a Honda freaking Ridgeline.

In fact about the only trucks I would take a cybertruck over is the Ridgeline and the Santa Cruz.

47 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

This is the most inexplicable part to me.  The other are just sub-optimal business decisions, the sort of thing that happens.

But hyper-politicizing a major consumer product?  I mean, even Michael Jordan observed "Republicans buy shoes too."  Ford and Chevy and BMW and functionally every other auto maker don't tie the image and marketing of their products to a particular (and extreme and polarizing to boot) political ethos.  Sure, there are political identities that identify more with particular products (I'm guessing that more Republicans buy Ford and Chevy trucks, and more dems buy Priuses and Accords), but the manufacturers wisely (well, actually, EASILY, because they don't get in that game to begin with) avoided having their products tied to a politically polarizing position.  Elon....not so much.  AND, he picked the dumbest group to cater to.  Sorry, Elon....incels and blind fanbois aren't going to produce the sales figures you need to succeed.

I don't have any idea of the politics of most major CEOs. They're smart enough to stay neutral publicly and usually indicate that they are open to working with any Administration in the WH. The right message is that the company should want anything that is good for America and to stay away from social issues or partisan issues. 

• Hook 'Em 1

3 minutes ago, BeardIP said:

In fact about the only trucks I would take a cybertruck over is the Ridgeline and the Santa Cruz.

Ridgelines are solid trucks. Perfect for those of with at least average size penises and normal IQs. 

I know nothing about the Santa Cruz. 

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, BeardIP said:

my point was that the ridgeline is 210.2" long and 78.6" wide

the cybertruck is 223.7" long and 86" wide. it's bed is 2" longer than the ridgeline

it's about as useful for towing stuff as a mid sized pickup. and it doesn't have a midgate

the cybertruck is a fucking dumb vehicle

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

15 minutes ago, BeardIP said:

I hear the Santa Cruz just isn't a good vehicle (crappy mileage for a small truck), so that's on Hyundai.

I can see people wanting a Ridgline -- it's a "light truck" with Honda quality and reliability.  I don't want one, but can understand people who would.

I can't come up with any reason to want a Cybertruck other than you're a fanboi knobgobbler.  Everything it's supposed to be for/do, other trucks do much, much better, with better safety, reliability, and quality.  Literally the only thing it has going for it is "CUTTING EDGE ELON ZOMG LOOK AT ME IN MY ELON-MOBILE!"

7 minutes ago, Pato del Muerto said:

Absurdly shitty mileage for what you get put me off of it immediately.  Has the mpg of a full sized truck with little of the capability beyond an open bed area. 

Quick googling tells me its right in line with other mid sized pick ups. 

For 2024 models: 

https://www.truecar.com/best-cars-trucks/trucks/segment-midsize/by-gas-mileage/

/end thread jack

Edited by High Plains Drifter

50 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

I can't come up with any reason to want a Cybertruck other than you're a fanboi knobgobbler.  Everything it's supposed to be for/do, other trucks do much, much better, with better safety, reliability, and quality.  Literally the only thing it has going for it is "CUTTING EDGE ELON ZOMG LOOK AT ME IN MY ELON-MOBILE!"

Fucking this.

(BTW, the Santa Cruz costs about half the Cybertruck abomination does.)

2 hours ago, chainsaw said:

Only people who should have Cybertrucks are collectors who intend never to drive it and only to have it on display with other incredibly stupid cars

A car collection with Cybertruck, Pontiac Aztek, Lincoln Blackwood, GM EV1, Yugo, Cadilac Cimarron, Chevy Citation, Pontiac Fierro, DeLorean, VW Phaeton, Jag X-Type and other similar idiotic blunders by car manufacturers would be worthy. Particularly, if they had narration video/audio of the various surrounding issues and stupidity. I'd visit that museum for sure.

Edited by BurntEyes
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Drool 1

50 minutes ago, C-Man said:

Fucking this.

(BTW, the Santa Cruz costs about half the Cybertruck abomination does.)

Santa Cruz, Maverick, Ranger, Colorado, Ridgeline, Taco or whatever is much a better choice. 

Edited by BurntEyes

7 minutes ago, BurntEyes said:

A car collection with Cybertruck, Pontiac Aztek, Lincoln Blackwood, GM EV1, Yugo, Cadilac Cimarron, Chevy Citation, Pontiac Fierro, DeLorean, VW Phaeton, Jag X-Type and other similar idiotic blunders by car manufacturers would be worthy. Particularly, if they had narration video/audio of the various surrounding issues and stupidity. I'd visit that museum for sure.

I don't know whether it's fair to lump the Fiero into this group. Perhaps a trade for the Cadillac Catera is in order? 

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, BeardIP said:

But would you take a cyber truck over a ridgeline and 2 Santa Cruzes?

• Haha 3

Just now, Prepuce of Doom said:

I don't know whether it's fair to lump the Fiero into this group. Perhaps a trade for the Cadillac Catera is in order? 

That's fair, just the Fiero fire issues made me put it in there. Seeing those in flames on the side of the road is burned into my memories. I'm willing to trade it for the Aurora or Catera though.

• Hook 'Em 1

3 minutes ago, Prepuce of Doom said:

No love for the Caddy that zigs? 

• Hook 'Em 2

11 minutes ago, BurntEyes said:

Edsel and Cadillac allante added

• Hook 'Em 1

15 minutes ago, royiv said:

None whatsoever! 

However, I do recall Michael Wilbon going on a very proud and totally earnest, "I drive a Dodge Stratus!"-esque rant about his Catera on PTI 20ish years ago, and the absurdity of it all has stuck with me more than anything else about that useless car. 

29 minutes ago, BurntEyes said:

Actually, I agree, it does. I mean in a comic and actual sense, I'd rather drive that one if forced to roll a Cybertruck.

Best I can do is F-150 cybertruck

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 5

17 minutes ago, Covri said:

Best I can do is F-150 cybertruck

Well man, it is  a "Ford" being loaded onto a roadback from the roadside so.. it's fitting. (Sorry, couldn't resist the F.O.R.D. joke. I know, I suck.)

Edited by BurntEyes
  • Like 1

38 minutes ago, royiv said:

I mean, the Catera led to the Alpha-platform cars (CTS-V and ATS-V, and now CT4/CT5), which are one of the few cars you can meaningfully track and put four people in that doesn't cost an arm and a leg.

I hate Musk as much as the next guy, by the way. I'd also add that I'm anti-proprietary just-about-anything, and the closed-off charging network drove me berserk, not unlike Apple's lightning cord or the way they used to do iTunes songs...

But ... I don't think I agree with the dominant sentiment here that going further down- and mass-market beyond the Model 3 is the play. I follow the auto industry at a distance, and there's a reason that many companies have dropped sedans and cheap cars -- they just don't make enough money per unit of capacity. And while I get the argument about cheap cars bringing customers to a brand for their future loyalty, the data don't indicate that customers are loyal enough to make it worth it and I don't think it's enough to offset making thousands than hundreds per car sold. I think the play for Tesla is not diluting the bread-and-butter of the brand too much by going downmarket, and refreshing their current vehicles.

But at the end of the day, I think Tesla is a one-trick pony (very-arguably cool tech, big promises, cachet, and fast acceleration set against shoddy build and poor per-dollar performance in anything but a straight line) and others are catching up to their trick while they have no ability to create something "new" again.

48 minutes ago, Prepuce of Doom said:

None whatsoever! 

However, I do recall Michael Wilbon going on a very proud and totally earnest, "I drive a Dodge Stratus!"-esque rant about his Catera on PTI 20ish years ago, and the absurdity of it all has stuck with me more than anything else about that useless car. 

The fact that the first thing I think of when I see the word Catera is the Caddy that zigs means GM did a good job of burning that into my much younger and impressionable brain.

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, BurntEyes said:

Well man, it is  a "Ford" being loaded onto a roadback from the roadside so.. it's fitting. (Sorry, couldn't resist the F.O.R.D. joke. I know, I suck.)

The Big Lebowski Film GIF by The Good Films

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 2

2 hours ago, BurntEyes said:

help me out
a) Fix Or Repair Daily
b) Fucking Old Rebuilt Dodge 
c) Fails On Rainy Days
d) Found On Road Deserted
e) Factory Ordered Road Disaster

(I can keep going if you want me to)

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1

help me out
a) Fix Or Repair Daily
b) Fucking Old Rebuilt Dodge 
c) Fails On Rainy Days
d) Found On Road Deserted
e) Factory Ordered Road Disaster

(I can keep going if you want me to)

Fastest on race day
  • Haha 3

2 hours ago, choripan said:

I mean, the Catera led to the Alpha-platform cars (CTS-V and ATS-V, and now CT4/CT5), which are one of the few cars you can meaningfully track and put four people in that doesn't cost an arm and a leg.

I hate Musk as much as the next guy, by the way. I'd also add that I'm anti-proprietary just-about-anything, and the closed-off charging network drove me berserk, not unlike Apple's lightning cord or the way they used to do iTunes songs...

But ... I don't think I agree with the dominant sentiment here that going further down- and mass-market beyond the Model 3 is the play. I follow the auto industry at a distance, and there's a reason that many companies have dropped sedans and cheap cars -- they just don't make enough money per unit of capacity. And while I get the argument about cheap cars bringing customers to a brand for their future loyalty, the data don't indicate that customers are loyal enough to make it worth it and I don't think it's enough to offset making thousands than hundreds per car sold. I think the play for Tesla is not diluting the bread-and-butter of the brand too much by going downmarket, and refreshing their current vehicles.

But at the end of the day, I think Tesla is a one-trick pony (very-arguably cool tech, big promises, cachet, and fast acceleration set against shoddy build and poor per-dollar performance in anything but a straight line) and others are catching up to their trick while they have no ability to create something "new" again.

Well, I've long (nearly since Tesla founding) maintained that the biggest issue with Tesla would ultimately be the production scaling ability. Scaling efficiency reduces cost and ultimately leads to a wider market. Further, I was always watching the funding aspect, particularly the subsidy aspect and profit. I long though of shorting, but hey... I didn't. 

That said, while I agree with your sentiment regarding loyalty to a degree, I don't agree to the extent. There are a goodly number of people that buy a brand. I also think there are car people and people that buy cars. It's pretty clear Tesla created a bit of a hybrid, people that buy Teslas. I think there was a great possibility to get into that market with a lower cost entry. 

Ultimately, I agree with your one trick pony assessment, but I think the production scaling and lack of a lower cost entry Tesla was the cause. Oddly, I really wanted Tesla to succeed, still want it to. I know the car helped change the market forever. Those are good things. The back end dealing with dead lithium ion batteries and mining for new ones is a bad one, but that's not a Tesla only issue. 

On 4/6/2024 at 6:03 PM, 956 Worldwide said:

I’ve been banging this on this thread for a while now. They spent way too much time on the Cybertruck and its awful and tough manufacturing process. They didn’t even do a refresh on the rest of the lineup, and now all are due for one at once. If not a completely new model. 

Do you see any Cybertrucks down in the RGV? 

On 4/14/2024 at 10:04 AM, Brisketexan said:

I’ll say it again: Elon is an actual fucking idiot. He’s not smart. He is stupid as hell.

I think he had a combination of vision and tolerable sociopathy that made him a successful CEO for quite awhile.  I don't know what happened, but something has robbed him of that vision, and all he has left is an increasingly intolerable sociopathy.

• Hook 'Em 1

17 minutes ago, Neonmoon said:

Things going great 

New Twitter user have to pay 

Hmmm…almost like Tesla stock is not enough of an ATM to keep things going.  

And I don’t think people realize how many bot accounts are paid accounts.  That little blue badge really boosted their legitimacy and was a cheap price for some of them.

I’m  guessing free users are soon going to have to pay.  There aren’t enough new users to pay the bills, and the advertising has been shit.

• Hook 'Em 2

57 minutes ago, Goredho said:

I think he had a combination of vision and tolerable sociopathy that made him a successful CEO for quite awhile.  I don't know what happened, but something has robbed him of that vision, and all he has left is an increasingly intolerable sociopathy.

I hate to cite dunning kruger but if you’re very successful and have a cultish following of yes men you’re going to fall prey to that kind of thing bigly unless you are fairly wise and have strong character. Musk is deficient on both of those fronts, is way outside of his lane on everything, and thinks everyone else are the people who are wrong. It’s why he keeps doing stupid things but also why he keeps looking like an idiot in interviews or at the concert where he’s *not* surrounded by his people and he’s left hanging when he waits for approval of the stupid thing he just did.

(say the line, Hayden)

Edited by Celery Man
  • Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

I promise I'm not being glib or facetious here. What would it take for him to get involuntarily committed? The only people I've ever known who have been this reckless and deluded have all ended up on serious psychiatric meds and/or institutionalized.

I hate to cite dunning kruger but if you’re very successful and have a cultish following of yes men you’re going to fall prey to that kind of thing bigly unless you are fairly wise and have strong character. Musk is deficient on both of those fronts, is way outside of his lane on everything, and thinks everyone else are the people who are wrong. It’s why he keeps doing stupid things but also why he keeps looking like an idiot in interviews or at the concert where he’s *not* surrounded by his people and he’s left hanging when he waits for approval of the stupid thing he just did.

(say the line, Hayden)

“Nobody knows more about ____ than me.”
The number one sign the speaker is actually an idiot.
  • Hook 'Em 2

11 minutes ago, chainsaw said:

I promise I'm not being glib or facetious here. What would it take for him to get involuntarily committed? The only people I've ever known who have been this reckless and deluded have all ended up on serious psychiatric meds and/or institutionalized.

Well, my knowledge is dated back to when I worked in the field, but first and foremost a person has to be shown as a danger to themselves or others. Then a court ordered involuntarily commitment can be issued, but it typically requires family members or law enforcement to press for such. In short, again, based on my very dated and incomplete knowledge of the subject, none of the required aspects are present. Even if they were, he would apply a lot of counter pressure with a wrll finanaced legal team and a ton of folks would come to his "rescue". So.. in short, no chance that I am aware of currently.

I am happy to be corrected by more knowledgeable folks.