Toby Keith RIP

Gil Bang

I am a Toby Keith fan. Even though he was an okie. Solid music. A lot of people didn’t like his “shallowness”, but I remember seeing him in concert once and he fully understood the “bit” his career was built around. He embraced it. 

• Hook 'Em 2

I was just a wee lad when he started releasing music. Him, Tracy Lawrence and Mark Chesnutt were the pillars that drove me to country over any other genre as a kid. 

I forgot how many great songs he had. 

xpost. 

Met him a couple times and he was a really nice guy. Bigger than I was expecting, looked like he could play pro ball.  A former customer of mine, Joey Floyd was his road manager and later guitar/fiddle player in the band. He also played with Willie. Joey died from cancer in 2016.

https://m.facebook.com/JoeyFloydFoundation/videos/joey-rockin-out/235913494806822/

They'll never smoke weed with Willie again.

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, Scraps said:

First 4 albums are good

The rest of his shit needs to be buried with him 

I'm not familiar with his catalouge at all, really, I know I've heard plenty of his stuff over the years, but "beer for my horses" is after his first 4 albums and it's a great damn song. 

52 minutes ago, NorthLoop said:

Someone who used 9/11 to make money. No thanks. 

This will always be his legacy in my mind. Very nice on the outside but a real shit person at heart. RIP I guess. Should've Been a Cowboy is pretty catchy.

32 minutes ago, 'stache said:

This will always be his legacy in my mind. Very nice on the outside but a real shit person at heart. RIP I guess. Should've Been a Cowboy is pretty catchy.

It was always funny when OSU won that Should've Been a Cowboy was played...

35 minutes ago, NIUHuskies said:

It was always funny when OSU won that Should've Been a Cowboy was played...

Core childhood rage memory is my team at the time (49ers) losing to my stepdad's team (Cowboys) in the NFC title game and laying on my bed staring at my ceiling devastated and him coming in and belting out "Shoulda been a Cowboy..." Came close to a Menendez situation. 

• Haha 1

My wife and I had breakfast in Norman a month or so ago and I held the door open for Toby. I looked at my wife when we sat down and said “he doesn’t have very long”. He looked very bad. Great Oklahoman, but never was a fan of his music.