Post a pic that makes you say "Holy shit."

Born Burnt

23 hours ago, Brisketexan said:

Read the thread linking to the original post. It’s apparently real, and fascinating as to why no steam appears.

I would assume it’s because it is so hot that the moisture is instantly evaporated? /haven’t read the linked thread but wanted to guess 

Here’s the explanation for those of y’all too lazy to click and/or don’t have FB

A bit of science.

I've got several comments regarding the fact that the videos I posted these days must be fake. Someone thinks the videos are sped up (I never speed up videos, unless specifically stated), some others claim that it's fake because the snow doesn't produce steam when touched by the lava.

Here I try to explain why the latter phenomenon happens.

In the abstract of a paper published in 1984 by A. A. Mills called "Pillow lavas and the Leidenfrost effect" is stated: "This is made possible by the Leidenfrost effect, the phenomenon whereby film boiling replaces the usual nucleated boiling above a certain temperature, thereby forming an insulating sheath of vapour around any sufficiently hot body immersed in a liquid. Only on cooling below a certain temperature (defined as the Nukiyama temperature) will rapid heat exchange occur between water and hot, gas-free lava."

This applies in the situation shown in the video. In easy words, when the water, or the snow in this case, is touched by a superheated surface (the lava) it forms a very thin layer of steam which protects the snow. It would take a bit longer, and a bit of cooling, to start producing plumes (nucleated boiling). Since lava moves fast, it covers the snow before that can happen.

Regarding the speed, that's the actual speed of Thursday's lava flow. I have no need to speed it up for whatever reason. Basaltic lava, with that low content of silica and temperature over 1100°C, moves fast, even on a quasi-flat surface.

So, before you waste your time vomiting your statements under some content, use it to study a bit of lava rheology or thermodynamics. Then we can have a constructive discussion.

One thing is for sure, from me, you will never get fake videos or composite footage. That's not my style, and I have no need to change that.

© Marco Di Marco/Volcano Chaser
#iceland🇮🇸 #visiticeland #visitreykjanes #wheniniceland #reykjanes #eruption #svartsengi #dji #science #geology #basalt #eldgos #magma #lava #lavafield #hraun #volcano #rocks #landscape #latergram #instapic #instagood #instagram #igers #igersiceland #reeloftheday #reels #reelsinstagram

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, honolulu horn said:

That magma explanation is way more fun to read in the voice of Dr Evil, given his penchant for discussing such topics. 

It's breathtaking, I suggest you try it.

Was gonna neg rep you for falsely claiming his penchant is for discussing science when it's in fact, for buggery.  But pos rep for 'breathtaking'

• Hook 'Em 1

On 2/11/2024 at 3:18 AM, futureman said:

Nutty Putty has always creeped me out but still I could read about it and watch vids on it without any sort of visceral reaction.  This, though, I had to stop watching.  3:20-7:30 is about the most awful shit I’ve seen on the internet in my whole life.

Ok--that's terrifying.

But I have to observe . . . and I really can't believe I'm the first one to say this . . . I'd like to slide into the Widow Emily's tight spaces.

21 hours ago, Hornius Emeritus said:

What the fuck?  I'm pretty smart, but I have zero knowledge on this thing.

For fixed-bed hydrocracking units, proper feedstock preparation is necessary to minimize catalyst poisoning and give high yields and a long catalyst life. Many hydrocracking units use a hydrotreating reactor before the hydrocracking reactors to convert organic sulfur and nitrogen compounds to hydrogen sulfide and ammonia to prevent reduction of hydrocracking catalyst activity and deterioration of yield structure. During a run, the reactor temperatures are gradually increased to maintain a constant severity of operation (constant degree of sulfur or nitrogen removal or constant conversion level). Increasing the reaction temperature increases the cracking rates faster than the hydrogenation rates, and more of the feed is cracked to gases and coke. This results in lower yields of desirable products and less profitable operations.