Tom "the turtle" Herman [Lame Duck or greatest 5d chess player ever?]

Neonmoon

I didn't know kindergartners routinely used the word skullfucked.  Must be that new math.... 

Damn boy, and I do mean boy. The Horns have won 25 and lost 30 to the gooners in my lifetime. When do you start kindergarten? 

It's early and I ain't your boy t-shirt man.  I've been to every one of those game since 1988 so well aware of the record.  

Then wait til you wake up before making a dumbass comment. 

giphy.gif
  • Hook 'Em 2
  • Haha 4

22 hours ago, Had Enough said:

Yes but there was a reason why USC was thought to be undefeatable. I think we had more top end talent on both sides of the ball, and I'm a large Reggie Bush fan. Then there was 12-0 with Young and Young. Thomas and Sweed. Lots o olinemen. And in 2005, we only had 26 points after 54 minutes. Yep made for history but what the hell are you doing the 1st 54.

Lots of greatness in there but way too many wth moments. RB, Dline, DB were loaded. Oh and pretty good at QB too.

It should have taken more than 1 hand to count the conference champs.

What exactly is a "large Reggie Bush fan"?  Are you heavy? Tall?  Is there a big & tall Reggie Bush fan club?

• Hook 'Em 1

2 hours ago, lemonandaturd said:

Adrian Phillips finished his career at Texas.  He was an undrafted free agent.  Adrian Colbert left as an upperclassman for Miami.  

You are right.  Good catch.  I thought he was referencing Colbert.  Phillips actually pretty very good college success, indicating he developed fairly well. It is strange Phillips didn't get drafted.

IT Scoop

Spoiler

What we know:
- Ugly wins don’t help Tom Herman unless he somehow wins out that way. He can win out in the regular season that way but a Big 12 CCG victory would have to be earned if it’s versus OU.

- Wins and losses are only half of the equation. Herman set fire to his bridges, making wins and losses the only thing that could save his neck.

- BMDs are going all out in pursuit of Scenario #1. You think you have little appetite for @Toadvine threads, these guys have even less and don’t want to hear about any other potential candidates.

- As we’ve been reporting for well over a month, the trilateral commission is on the same page. As we learned with the Saban fiasco, whoever has veto power holds the keys. That won’t be an issue assuming Herman drops a game and UM wants the gig.

- Urban Meyer does want to coach again. We’ve heard it, but it’s also obvious watching him on television.

- Some informal steps have taken place that are consistent with the hiring process, but they’re certainly not binding in any way whatsoever.

- UM does have interest in the Texas job. He would have shot it down a month ago if he didn‘t have interest. But he also doesn’t want the appearance of gunning for a job that isn’t open. That, along with UT’s win streak, have kept things mostly quiet. That’s a good thing.

- His family would prefer he stay retired.

- If the decision makers miss, it won’t be for lack of effort.

What we think we know:

- If UT misses, we don’t think it will be because of money, but we don’t know exactly what the price tag will be. We’ve heard some rumors that place it at being very steep, but the money guys seem pot committed at this point.

- We think there’s a growing confidence regarding UM’s level of interest. We have to read between the lines, but that’s my intuition. Reminder that intuition is not information, however, there are enough bread crumbs to lead me to thinking this is on a slightly upward trajectory, rather than flat or degrading.

[There’s a lot more to this section — basically half of the Google Doc — but we’ll have to save it for when things either heat up significantly or for a retrospective]

What we’re unsure of:

- What happens if Herman wins out? @Bobby Burton is reporting in that event Herman will be back. That logically follows, but if they’ve reached an informal agreement with Meyer by mid-December, right before the Big 12 CCG, I wonder about that. One of the school’s biggest issues is fundraising. What will happen if the efforts of some of the biggest donors to land the unquestioned second best coach of the generation are rebuffed? That certainly won’t help the school’s efforts to raise money at a time it’s greatly needed.

- How much does the family’s opinion matter? We know Meyer’s family would love for him to stay on the sidelines by staying off the sidelines. They don’t want him coaching again. How much their opinion matters is an unknown and we’ve reported in the past some on the Texas side are concerned by it.

- What happens if Herman makes it to the Big 12 CCG but does what he does 80% of the time and loses a close one to OU? This could turn into a mess because many people are done with Herman no matter what but there aren’t many obviously qualified candidates aside Meyer. The BBs could spill here if CDC elects to do nothing. Again, that will hurt fundraising.

#####

The flip of 2021 DeSoto DL Byron Murphy from Baylor to Texas helps the Longhorns' cause with Murphy's good friend and the top prospect remaining on the Texas board, Shemar Turner. As IT has talked about for weeks, Texas had moved from outside the top to the top with Texas A&M prior to the season, but the Longhorns have lost momentum and trailed Texas A&M by quite a bit prior to Murphy’s pledge. Word around the DeSoto program is Texas A&M still leads, but the people IT spoke with acknowledge there is still some Texas push within Turner’s family. With that being said, the family is happy if Turner stays close to home. The lone out of state threat appears to be Alabama right now. Texas and Turner continue to communicate regularly. Turner’s recruitment has featured Tom Herman, Oscar Giles, Chris Ash, Mark Hagen and Bryan Carrington at various points with Herman having a long-standing relationship with a member of Turner’s circle dating back to the Dontre Wilson recruitment.

The Longhorns offer to Bridgeland 2022 QB Conner Weigman was one of those childhood dream offers. With that said, Weigman told IT Friday before Bridgeland’s game against Cy-Falls his current decision timeline is early summer. He said he really wants to make some visits and sit down with head coaches, offensive coordinators and position coaches. In speaking with someone dialed into Weigman’s recruitment, the offers from Texas, Oklahoma and Florida have moved the needle. An offer from Texas A&M would do the same. The consensus has been close to home at the end of the day providing Texas and Oklahoma a considerable advantage, as well as the Aggies should they offer. The questions surrounding the future of the staff in Austin is known by Weigman and the Bridgeland staff, and that slowed the chances of a quick verbal — at this point. Weigman plans to play both football and baseball at the next level, so that also factors into his equation.

#####

BYRON MURPHY

The newest addition to UT’s Class of 2021 had himself a night on Friday, dominating Mansfield. With teammate and fellow prospect, Shemar Turner, Desoto‘s front four is immovable.

At 6-foot-1and 290 pounds, the four-star with 20 offers including Georgia, Mississippi State, Minnesota, and TCU enjoyed himself only days after flipping to the Longhorns. But he still misses taking the trips.

“If we would have had an opportunity to play spring ball, I feel my recruitment would have really skyrocketed,” Murphy said. “The pandemic also affected my chances to take official visits, which would have also been helpful in determining my commitment.”

With Mark Hagen pressing the right buttons, Texas was able to persuade Murphy to de-commit from Baylor.

“I am looking for a program that is going to challenge me to a better player on and off the field,” said Murphy. “A place to develop me as a young man and allow me to have an immediate impact on the field.”

He knows who he is and what he’s bringing to Austin. He feels like he can achieve his goals at UT.

“I am bringing a winning pedigree, tenacity, heart and love for the game to UT,” Murphy explained.

Before he can help the Horns, he still has one mission remaining.

“My expectations for DeSoto this year is to make a deep run in the playoffs and hopefully bring home a state championship trophy,” Murphy said.

Bringing Turner with him to Austin might be another goal as well. Stay tuned.

JJ HENRY

At 5-foot-10 and 165 pounds, the lightning-quick slot receiver from McKinney North dropped his Top 8 on Sunday, and Texas was included, to no surprise.

They joined TCU, Baylor, Texas A&M, Florida State, Arkansas, SMU, Ole Miss, and Louisville. They all have one thing in common for Henry.

“Family,” said Henry. “Each program has treated me like their own.”

What is one thing he really likes about the Longhorns?

“The culture,” said Henry. “Nothing like some Texas Football. I like how the program is run and the staff.”

The COVID pandemic has ruined recruiting for a lot of prospects, and Henry mentioned how much he’d like to take visits and get a feel for the programs. But he’ll have to decide sight unseen, like many other targets.

His decision timeline is TBD, but I get the sense he’s close to narrowing down his list even more. I believe UT will be in this pursuit as long as they want.

I’m watching TCU and A&M here, too. Both have recruited the position at a high level over the last few years and both like the Under Armour all star.

COLE HUTSON

The 2022 Frisco offensive tackle has been enjoying a solid junior year, with offers adding up.

Alabama jumped into the mix for the 6-foot-4, 290-pound three-sport athlete.

Just like others, the inability to take visits seems to be taking its toll on prospects. But Hutson doesn’t complain.

“It’s been a big impact with from extending the dead period to teams not being able to play, but I still try my hardest to be in contact with coaches but also focus on my season, virtual tours are great,” Hutson said. “The staffs really try to make it like a normal visit.”

Texas keeps close tabs on him and continues to push for his services.

“(Texas and I) talk about my season and theirs, they care about me and my family,” said Hutson. “I talk to Coach Hand and Coach Herman regularly. They always wish the best for me at my games and I do the same.”

His father, Scott, played pro baseball after a career at Arizona State, so the DNA checks out.

With 23 offers, including OU, Texas A&M, and Arizona State, his options are solid.

Hutson remains open throughout the process and Texas has done a great job building the relationship here.

SEBASTIAN CHEEKS

The 2022 Evanston Township (Evanston, IL) product is highly decorated for a reason; he’s a ball player.

The 6-foot-2, 200-pound four-star linebacker holds 16 offers, with Notre Dame, Stanford, Arizona State, and Cincinnati among the programs.

Unfortunately, his junior year was moved from fall to the spring, but he’s taking it all in stride.

“Honestly, (COVID) did impact my recruiting in terms of building personal interactions with coaches since visits have been shut down,” said Cheeks. “I believe it’s been hard also for me especially because I feel like coming off last year I need more film. I was injured and have improved my game substantially and want to demonstrate that.”

Texas extended an offer in early September and continues to recruit the outside linebacker.

“I still hear from a multiple of schools that include Notre Dame, Texas, Ohio State, Oregon, and Stanford,” said Cheeks.

UT has made an impression on the Midwest tacking machine.

“(Texas) has a coaching staff that is down to earth and always keeps it a buck,” said Cheeks. “I have a great relationship with Coach Hutzler. I feel like I can call him anytime even when it may not be about football. He is a great role model and a family man and is someone I would love to be coached by because I know he could take me to the next level.“

The Fighting Irish lead this recruitment right now, but UT continues to push.

MICHAEL MYSLINSKI

We checked in on 2021Jacksonville (FL) Bishop Kenney O-lineman and Texas commit Michael Myslinski, whose season is already over.

“We didn’t have a very good season this year, we went 1-7,” said Myslinski. “We were in every game but couldn’t come out on top. Next year they will do a great job and really turn the corner I think. We have a sophomore QB who will be a stud! He started in our last game which was playoffs and balled out.”

At 6-foot-2 and 265 pounds, Myslinski can’t enroll early because his high school doesn’t allow it. So he’ll wait seven months until arriving in Austin.

“I was hoping to take official visits to schools but now that won’t be available which really stinks,” said Myslinski. “I wanted to meet the coaches in person.”

Even though he’s a UT pledge, other schools are still pushing.

“The colleges I still hear from the most are Iowa, Michigan State, and Maryland,” said Myslinski.

No matter how much they call, it appears Myslinski is happy where’s he’s at, and makes a point to mention how important Herb Hand is for his recruitment.

“The coach player relationship is very important to me,” Myslinski said. “Coach Hand does a great job and he was a big reason for my commitment. He’s a great guy.”

29 minutes ago, RGBIII said:

No matter how much they call, it appears Myslinski is happy where’s he’s at, and makes a point to mention how important Herb Hand is for his recruitment.

“The coach player relationship is very important to me,” Myslinski said. “Coach Hand does a great job and he was a big reason for my commitment. He’s a great guy.”

Well, that may be a problem.

Maybe this belongs in the stupid question immunity thread, but what exactly do BMDs get out of forking out millions to fire and hire a new coach?  Do they get some kind of return on investment monetarily, or is it just that they're football fans like us that like to see their team not suck and have the means to invoke a change?

1 minute ago, Assman said:

Maybe this belongs in the stupid question immunity thread, but what exactly do BMDs get out of forking out millions to fire and hire a new coach?  Do they get some kind of return on investment monetarily, or is it just that they're football fans like us that like to see their team not suck and have the means to invoke a change?

The latter 

4 minutes ago, Bevo14 said:

The latter 

This. Remember the BMD football donors are different than the BMD academic donors. There is a reason that you don't hear that Michael Dell is a BMD. He doesn't give a damn about football. BMD football donors like football and would generally like to gain access to the program.

12 minutes ago, Assman said:

The latter, but also to keep their access to the program.  Imagine if you or I could pay 1k or 10k to help fire Herman or upgrade our facilities.  You'd probably do it right?  Working under the assumption that you're not a billionaire

• Hook 'Em 1

Herman today in his press conference said preparing for ISU is really tough. On offense, they are innovative, mixing up inside and outside alignments to make it difficult to decide on a 5th db or an LB.

On defense he said they are unlike anyone else, with a unique defense that requires an offense to create new plays to beat it.

Matt Campbell sounds like a great coach. Herman sounds like

15230a05847bb7ecec229312c2171a23.gif

17 minutes ago, Dbeasy said:

Herman today in his press conference said preparing for ISU is really tough. On offense, they are innovative, mixing up inside and outside alignments to make it difficult to decide on a 5th db or an LB.

On defense he said they are unlike anyone else, with a unique defense that requires an offense to create new plays to beat it.

Matt Campbell sounds like a great coach. Herman sounds like

15230a05847bb7ecec229312c2171a23.gif

We’ve had two weeks now to prepare Tom

10 hours ago, Assman said:

Access.  I was drinking with one of them at a bar once.  I asked him a question about the team and he said "Hell, that's a good question.  Let's call Mack and ask him".  Mack answered his call and it was during the middle of practice.

• Hook 'Em 2

26 minutes ago, CTC2 said:

Access.  I was drinking with one of them at a bar once.  I asked him a question about the team and he said "Hell, that's a good question.  Let's call Mack and ask him".  Mack answered his call and it was during the middle of practice.

Fuck all that. If CUM comes, and anyone calls his phone during practice, I trust and expect he will tell them to shut the hell up, never to call during working hours again and get back to preparing the team to win championships. 

• Rage+1 1

“I've been screaming this for the last few months. Texas is going to sign the lowest rated prospect they've offered at each position.“ - Mike Roach

Future isn’t looking too bright. We are struggling against Big12 competition this season with one of the best rosters we’ve had at Texas in probably 12 years.

Edited by CastHorn
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Rage+1 1

Fuck all that. If CUM comes, and anyone calls his phone during practice, I trust and expect he will tell them to shut the hell up, never to call during working hours again and get back to preparing the team to win championships. 

The BMDs will take your strongly held position into consideration when vetting Urban Meyer as a potential replacement for the potential head coaching vacancy at the University of Texas.
  • Haha 1

They get some level of access/influence, but for the most part, they just care that much about winning college football games.

9 hours ago, ImissWallyPryor said:

Was he the one who told us about a WR who would torch Texas, but everyone mocked him because that receiver was white?

1 hour ago, ImissWallyPryor said:

... at ourselves. 

Yup. He hyped up Jordy so much before anyone knew who he was. 

I couldn't even be mad after Jordy had his way with us. That fat sonofabitch was on point and became a legend. 

• immamac changed the title to Tom Herman, Still The Head Coach at Texas