Tom "the turtle" Herman [Lame Duck or greatest 5d chess player ever?]

Neonmoon

With mack a lot of the bmds wanted to keep him. Nobody really likes tom. I don't see one person taking up for him.

Its a really really hard time to fire him with the shit going on at the 40, with layoffs. He is here until 2021 sadly unless kansas happens again. And then who will step up for the buyout?

29 minutes ago, Liquor and Poker said:

Why? It’s opinion piece that draws its own conclusions under the guise that Sam feels abandoned and isolated. It states that the locker room is divided and uses the EOT photo as evidence. Sam didn’t say anything remotely close to what is claimed, which is why very few quotes are cited. It’s also inaccurate. There were a couple of other players that stayed on the field after the game that aren’t shown in the now infamous photo. 

• Hook 'Em 3

1 minute ago, Spankytoes said:

Why? It’s opinion piece that draws its own conclusions under the guise that Sam feels abandoned and isolated. It states that the locker room is divided and uses the EOT photo as evidence. Sam didn’t say anything remotely close to what is claimed, which is why very few quotes are cited. It’s also inaccurate. There were a couple of other players that stayed on the field after the game that aren’t shown in the now infamous photo. 

9 minutes ago, Dbeasy said:

I scanned that article quickly and all I saw was a rehash of old information. Where exactly did Sam confirm Herman has lost the team?

To me the point is that article was written in the first place. It’s a poorly-written hit piece, yes. 

11 minutes ago, markstanco said:

With mack a lot of the bmds wanted to keep him. Nobody really likes tom. I don't see one person taking up for him.

Its a really really hard time to fire him with the shit going on at the 40, with layoffs. He is here until 2021 sadly unless kansas happens again. And then who will step up for the buyout?

Mack won shit a few times. Backing into the Sugar Bowl because your rival made the CFP isn’t quite the same level of achievement. I do agree with you though. It would take a failure of epic proportions to have Herman fired this year. The only ripple in that is if Urban makes it clear that he wants the job, would take the job if Herman was let go and has a limited timetable for the offer before he explores other options. We recently laid off a shitload of UT employees. The optics of buying out a coach for making the Texas Bowl in a COVID year would be pretty bad. Not to mention, we are losing some funding for the stadium construction. This isn’t a Charlie situation where we end up with losing records. I half forgot that we barely beat KU last year. 

I’m not so sure this team is >.500 this year.

This team quit and has no discipline. No way we best k state, Iowa state, or okay state, and I doubt we can beat Baylor at this point. In fact, I would not be shocked if this team wins one more game total. It’s that bad. Lucky for herman he has a bye week to get it fixed and make a run, but from my experience he is only capable of fixing shit during bowl prep.

If Urban wants it, he’s gone. If not and he wins 6+ games, I think he gets one more shot in 2021.

Just now, markstanco said:

Every single person in the know, coaches and media, knows herman sucks. There are no optics to be concerned with here.

Understood. I’m saying the optics of buying out a coach for losing 4 games and winning a lower tier bowl instead of using funds to pay administrative staff to save $13.1 million.

https://www.kxan.com/sports-general/horns-report/ut-athletics-department-enacts-layoffs-furloughs-due-to-financial-strain-of-covid-19-pandemic/

3 minutes ago, Spankytoes said:

Understood. I’m saying the optics of buying out a coach for losing 4 games and winning a lower tier bowl instead of using funds to pay administrative staff to save $13.1 million.

https://www.kxan.com/sports-general/horns-report/ut-athletics-department-enacts-layoffs-furloughs-due-to-financial-strain-of-covid-19-pandemic/

I’m guessing you missed the article that says Tom and Shaka took deferrals, not  cuts. 

fuck both of them fire them both a they’re  both lame duck coaches 

using covid as an excuse is a cop out 

Edited by BurntOrange&White
  • Hook 'Em 1

2 hours ago, markstanco said:

I disagree completely. I think the people who pay the bills have more leverage than ever. The AD needs our money. If funds are cut off now, the recent layoffs are just the beginning. People better listen to what donors are saying.

It doesn’t make a shit what planet Tom Herman is living on, he and Chris del Conte need to come back to earth today. Nobody that matters gives a fuck about Texas Basketball, but Texas Football pays the bills. Or won’t pay the bills. 

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 1

Unfortunately, I think it is a simple decision. CDC needs to get pledges from the BMDs to buyout the coaching staff and make a serious run at Urban Meyer to give him an offer he cannot refuse. If Meyer refuses or you don’t raise the $35mn needed, then you have to keep Tom Herman one more year knowing full well he will fail next year after losing his senior class.

After the 2021 season, you have a more clear budget picture, shaved $7-$10mn off the buyout, no longer have the poor optics of laying off and furloughing people to save $13mn, and allow for a full normal year for a coaching candidate to emerge (after first making another maybe more lucrative run at Meyer). Other than Urban Meyer or Kyle Shanahan (no fucking way he leaves the NFL), I just don’t see ANY obvious candidate that you would want to guarantee an additional $25-$35mn over 5 years. That being said, I desperately want UT to sign Urban Meyer NOW!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

17 hours ago, Chuckie Finster said:

This isn't just about wins and losses or even present day money from big boosters. They are losing an entire generation of alumni.

This could not be more true. Cousin was there during Mack's last season and the Charlie years. Went to plenty of games, but now only watches on tv and isn't interested in attending in person. Parents also canceled their season tickets a few years ago. They moved out west, but this was years before they did that. 

welp, it is Wednesday and fuck face is still coach.

that means CDC is a pussy too and needs to go.

please stfu about wins and losses. even if we win out, turtle boy has to go.

and stfu about "optics." its boomer corporate-speak for pussies who obsess over what your neighbors think of your lawn.

• Haha 1
  • Fuck You 13

12 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

Final thought before the day gets going is that I heard a story yesterday from a friend of one of the better known BMDs regarding experiences with Herman and subsequent feelings about the guy. It keeps coming up with people including my own few run-ins - this guy is a white trash dipshit underneath the thin, defenseless veneer of “I’m smarter than you and I know better”. 

Ultimately, Tom Herman will go down as UT’s pet raccoon. Whatever he doesn’t fuck up or eat, he shits on. 

I'm sure this is true and everyone loves shitting on coaches especially ones who are about to be fired. But, there are tons of guys who are little shits who are successful. Saban is a little shit who cheats both legally and illegally and all of his minions have gone on to other schools and continued along the same path. Urban, who I hope we hire, may or may not be a little shit but he definitely is a pussy who quits when things don't go his way. So, all these anecdotal stories about Herman don't move the needle much. For whatever reason, he has lost too many games here and the fanbase isn't going to put up with a guy who they don't like when he loses.

But, the analytical side of me loves to try to figure out what went wrong. By all accounts his first hires were meh and maybe that was all it took to do him in. But the second hires seemed more aligned with UT. Yurcich seemed like a good hire, WR hire not so much, and our DB hire was much better than expected. And I think we should have brought in a LB grad transfer and there were some small school guys available at OT and DE. Those guys would have definitely helped. But, the problem isn't simply personnel. We aren't playing anywhere near our potential. Something more seems to be going on.

• Hook 'Em 2

We aren't playing anywhere near our potential. Something more seems to be going on.

I've never coached, so I don't know what all goes into season and week to week preparation. As an observer, one thing that stands out to me is that coaches whose teams seem dialed in on the details throughout the game seem to have teams that perform well overall.

Mack Brown needed to go, but something that has stood out in stark contrast between his teams and our teams since is how good Mack's teams were on details throughout the game. When to use a timeout, when to spike the ball or go hurry up, special teams just generally being prepared for all situations, lack of penalties, when to fake a punt or expect a fake, when to rush to get out of bounds to save clock, etc. Mack's teams, and other well coached teams that I watch, are just obviously sharper on these things than Charlie's or Herman's teams ever were.

I don't think those things are why their teams don't perform well, but I think these are highly visible symptoms of coaches who do/don't prepare their team well overall. Our play on the field shows and obvious lack of fundamental development and preparation for our opponent, other than possibly bowl games. We also just do not play situationally smart football in many cases, which tells me we're not being coached on situational awareness within games. All of that tells me that how we're approaching coaching and preparation as a team is flawed, and that starts at the top regardless of coordinators.

The best coaches are just better at utilizing the time they have with their teams to prepare them to play, and that's most evident in the tiny situational details that their teams get right or flail on. I'm tired of flailing.

• Hook 'Em 6
  • Rage+1 1

Bucky going in on Herman this morning. 

saying basically the eyes shouldn’t be an issue and you don’t see it at any other campus. Basically Saban would tell his players what they’re going to do in regards to things like that. 

Also said he’s wishy washy and weak minded. Doesn’t make the tough decisions he should. And that the head coach at a school at Texas has more power than the AD. 

Thin skinned and doesn’t hold his players accountable. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

24 minutes ago, Bevo said:

I'm sure this is true and everyone loves shitting on coaches especially ones who are about to be fired. But, there are tons of guys who are little shits who are successful. Saban is a little shit who cheats both legally and illegally and all of his minions have gone on to other schools and continued along the same path. Urban, who I hope we hire, may or may not be a little shit but he definitely is a pussy who quits when things don't go his way. So, all these anecdotal stories about Herman don't move the needle much. For whatever reason, he has lost too many games here and the fanbase isn't going to put up with a guy who they don't like when he loses.

But, the analytical side of me loves to try to figure out what went wrong. By all accounts his first hires were meh and maybe that was all it took to do him in. But the second hires seemed more aligned with UT. Yurcich seemed like a good hire, WR hire not so much, and our DB hire was much better than expected. And I think we should have brought in a LB grad transfer and there were some small school guys available at OT and DE. Those guys would have definitely helped. But, the problem isn't simply personnel. We aren't playing anywhere near our potential. Something more seems to be going on.

Stories like those I posted aren’t being put out there to “move the needle”. It’s a fan board. I figure it’s something to pass time if you don’t take it too seriously until there’s actual news. 

Regarding what went wrong, my personal bias has always been, from the start with this guy, that he’s a narcissist, clinically. He has all the hallmarks of one from everything I’ve ever read, but I’m not a doctor (I know you are), so I know it’s harder to diagnose than just knowing the texts.

That said, I’ve dealt with a few that behave similarly and they caused as much or more damage in their spheres of power, relatively speaking. Narcissists stop learning once it hits them that the world really does revolve around them. They stop taking any responsibility for failings, and therefore stop actually developing to overcome blindspots or experience gaps that will only grow. Every bad thing they encounter can safely be attributed to someone else’s failings or inaction. Every good thing that happens is because it was preordained, given their brilliance and near omnipotence. 

If you look at Herman, over and over these things come to light. He blames others constantly for anything going wrong and is incredulous that they’d dare let it happen to him and his regime. He preens and lauds his own performance at the first hint of success. On and on. 

Narcissists stop learning at the onset of the disorder in puberty, and whatever actual talent and magic made them think they were special once upon a time, gets passed by the hard work and learnings of others as they and their peer set hit the late 30’s into the 40’s. It’s like the star athletes who get by, and dominate, on supreme talent until they hit the level in which that’s no longer enough and it’s too ingrained at that point for them to adjust.

I’d much prefer a sociopath. They learn and evolve. They’re just emotionally detached robots who can become dangerous and don’t know where to draw lines. Give me one with a motivating mechanism of power or achievement (vs gluttony, sloth, or something like bloodlust), and I can show you a football program winning championships. Urban Meyer trends that direction. Saban flat out is one. Some of us have good friends way inside his regime and they’ll never admit it, but their stories and his public behaviors show it in spades. Art Briles is exemplary of an unchecked sociopath in power insouciantly letting things spin wildly out of control, which is always your risk with that type. 

• Hook 'Em 7
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, closetojumping said:

One of the funniest CFB-related clips I’ve ever seen was of Lee Corso’s tv coaching show when he was at Indiana. He’d apparently had a string of losses and the fanbase, what of it existed, was calling for his head. Around Halloween, the team goes out and beats a Big 10 opponent they had no business beating. The next coach’s show opens, if memory serves, to a closed casket, which rises. Out of it slowly pops a reanimated Lee Corso, shouting that he’s “not dead yet, baby!”. It was from the 70’s or 80’s. Has to still be out there somewhere. 

Abe Lemons did this I think around '77/'78 when the Horns were fighting for the SWC championship.  

• Hook 'Em 1

8 hours ago, NoRagrets said:

I’m not so sure this team is >.500 this year.

This team quit and has no discipline. No way we best k state, Iowa state, or okay state, and I doubt we can beat Baylor at this point. In fact, I would not be shocked if this team wins one more game total. It’s that bad. Lucky for herman he has a bye week to get it fixed and make a run, but from my experience he is only capable of fixing shit during bowl prep.

If Urban wants it, he’s gone. If not and he wins 6+ games, I think he gets one more shot in 2021.

Probably correct. It sickens me.

1 hour ago, horn.g20 said:

welp, it is Wednesday and fuck face is still coach.

that means CDC is a pussy too and needs to go.

please stfu about wins and losses. even if we win out, turtle boy has to go.

and stfu about "optics." its boomer corporate-speak for pussies who obsess over what your neighbors think of your lawn.

Hey, everybody look! It's Billy Bad Ass. You sure are tuff, Billy Bad Ass. You should probably work on your math skills, though*

*obscure Eddie Griffin reference.

• Hook 'Em 1

47 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

Stories like those I posted aren’t being put out there to “move the needle”. It’s a fan board. I figure it’s something to pass time if you don’t take it too seriously until there’s actual news. 

Regarding what went wrong, my personal bias has always been, from the start with this guy, that he’s a narcissist, clinically. He has all the hallmarks of one from everything I’ve ever read, but I’m not a doctor (I know you are), so I know it’s harder to diagnose than just knowing the texts.

That said, I’ve dealt with a few that behave similarly and they caused as much or more damage in their spheres of power, relatively speaking. Narcissists stop learning once it hits them that the world really does revolve around them. They stop taking any responsibility for failings, and therefore stop actually developing to overcome blindspots or experience gaps that will only grow. Every bad thing they encounter can safely be attributed to someone else’s failings or inaction. Every good thing that happens is because it was preordained, given their brilliance and near omnipotence. 

If you look at Herman, over and over these things come to light. He blames others constantly for anything going wrong and is incredulous that they’d dare let it happen to him and his regime. He preens and lauds his own performance at the first hint of success. On and on. 

Narcissists stop learning at the onset of the disorder in puberty, and whatever actual talent and magic made them think they were special once upon a time, gets passed by the hard work and learnings of others as they and their peer set hit the late 30’s into the 40’s. It’s like the star athletes who get by, and dominate, on supreme talent until they hit the level in which that’s no longer enough and it’s too ingrained at that point for them to adjust.

I’d much prefer a sociopath. They learn and evolve. They’re just emotionally detached robots who can become dangerous and don’t know where to draw lines. Give me one with a motivating mechanism of power or achievement (vs gluttony, sloth, or something like bloodlust), and I can show you a football program winning championships. Urban Meyer trends that direction. Saban flat out is one. Some of us have good friends way inside his regime and they’ll never admit it, but their stories and his public behaviors show it in spades. Art Briles is exemplary of an unchecked sociopath in power insouciantly letting things spin wildly out of control, which is always your risk with that type. 

We need a Mindhunter: CFB. I'm calling Fincher right now. 

• Haha 1

46 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

As a narcissist, I agree.  I'm glad I came up with this a while back and am frustrated that I explained this over and over, but no one listened.Now you come along and of course when you explain it everyone listens.  

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2

He’s certainly a narcissist. His array of .75 words, platitudes, and condescending manner aside, he hasn’t figured out yet he will never be a winner at Texas, but he’s already found the reason for his lack of success thus far: it’s others fault. 

Edited by Mossyhorn

9 hours ago, Spankytoes said:

I bet we have the largest optics championship trophy collection in the history of CFB.

• Hook 'Em 2

12 hours ago, BrazilHorn said:

I’m not saying seek tough guy first. I’m saying that if you’ve been soft all of the time that suddenly trying to be hard doesn’t work. 

IMO set high standards and bench/fire people (players and coaches alike) that don’t live up to them. (A la Saban ) vs Herman’s approach to personnel and staff mgmt.

Having high standards doesn’t mean you are doing stupid shit like having different dinners for players or “punishing” players for penalties. Herman doesn’t get it  

I was just teasing you because Machiavelli basically wrote that in The Prince in the 1500s. 

1 minute ago, Nivek said:

I was just teasing you because Machiavelli basically wrote that in The Prince in the 1500s. 

No worries at all, I would make Machiavelli recruiting coordinator and put him in charge of all of our bag men. Oops I forgot we are calling our bag men "NIL Consultants" now.

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, BrazilHorn said:

No worries at all, I would make Machiavelli recruiting coordinator and put him in charge of all of our bag men. Oops I forgot we are calling our bag men "NIL Consultants" now.

Bag men?  At the pure as snow University of Texas....no.  People, we are not some pristine, shining castle on the hill.  Get a coach worth a flying fuck that is ruthless, crushes teams, wins his ass off, and is hated by everyone.  If only such a guy was out there....

• Hook 'Em 1

• immamac changed the title to Tom Herman, Still The Head Coach at Texas