Which Is Your Favorite Win Against OU?

Vic Mackey

Three stand out to me.

1)  Think it was '89  Working at Skaggs Alpha-Beta during HS.   We were underdogs and, IIRC, the game wasn't on tv because OU was on probation.  I happen to catch the score and TX is up at half.  I quickly feign illness and bike home as fast as I can to catch the rest of the game on the radio.

2)  1991.  My first game as a UT student.  (Only other game I ever saw in person was the TX/Miami Cotton Bowl.  Ugh.)  Gardere was a shitty QB but always beat OU.  Talked so much shit at The Fair after the game, I have no idea how I didn't get my ass beat.

3)  2005.  TX/OU and TN/GA overlapped.  At the time, I tailgated outside Neyland for every TN home game.  Got pissed because friends of our's bought my wife and I tics to the TN game, so I was obligated to have to leave the TX game early.  Stupid ABC or CBS (whichever) changed the game at the start of the 4th to another game anyway.  My drunk ass stumbled to the stadium via railroad tracks.  I was on such a high, I made a huge deal every time they announced the TX score.

6 minutes ago, Valmy77 said:

There was something especially hilarious about the 1991 win, where Texas won 10-7 on a fumble return TD. That was when it really looked like OU was cursed. We had a good run between Switzer and Stoops.

I didn't get to go to too many sporting events in person growing up because I was of the poors.  I remember thinking it was so cool to see the guy that won the game for us in Jester the week after the game.  LOL.  Just remembered his name - Bubba Jacques.

Went to my first as a UT freshman in 1981, probably been to 25 total since then.  Favorite was, as many others have mentioned, the 2008 game.  Took my 8 year old twin sons to that game.  Surprised them with tickets at dinner the night before the game, told them we were heading to Dallas right after we finished.  They had an absolute blast.

Fast forward 10 years later, those twins are now 18 and freshman at the University of Texas at Austin.  They were in line 3 hours early for each home game so far to get the best possible seats.  They had no voices left when their mom and I talked to them Sunday morning after the games.  There is no prouder dad on this planet than I.  

• Like 4

7 hours ago, NowThis said:

i was in the upper deck and big 6'10" Ken Hackemack lifted his arms to the sky and i thought this is what Thor must have looked like  1989 so beautiful 

I was there, too.  Best seats ever: first couple of rows in the upper deck at the 40 yard line.  It was a thing of beauty.  

OU had just beat USC and was ranked #1 coming to Dallas.  They had a really, really, really good team with Ralph Neely and Joe Don Looney.

Texas smoked their ass 28-7 and that put us on the road to our 1st National Championship.  

One of my favorite games of all time. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Valmy77 said:

There was something especially hilarious about the 1991 win, where Texas won 10-7 on a fumble return TD. That was when it really looked like OU was cursed. We had a good run between Switzer and Stoops.

And that was the first year you could advance a fumble. 

I like 'em all.

1983 was my first TX-OU game ever, went with my family.  Edwin Simmons had a nice day rushing, and Rob Moerschell was... well... he was the QB that was on the field for Texas...

1990 was my first as a UT student, Cash twins and RD Lasher made it memorable.

1991 was brutal to watch, but of course... Bubba Jacques.

2005 was cathartic after so many humiliating losses in a row

2008 was awesome, both teams were really good, Texas was better, and should have played for the NC that year.

It's been pretty sparse since then, sadly.

1990 will always be my favorite. Got 50 yard line seats about 30 rows up via the student draw. Right before the Lashar kick the whole place is going nuts. When he pushed it wide, you could see the whole Sooner side deflate while the good guys were going nuts. We were about 3 seats over from the divide so it was incredible. Somehow got onto the field after the game and were waving our Texas flag at midfield chanting OU sucks with at least 50 other students. 

Woke up the next morning and found our picture in the Dallas Morning news as well. Still have that page laminated somewhere in one of my memorabilia boxes. 

2006 was sneaky-good. Vince had moved on and nobody was exactly sure how good we were - or if Stoops was going to resume handing Mack his ass. It was a pretty one-sided game and (mostly) indicated that Mack was over his Stoops curse. 

That said, 2008 was the best for me, followed by 2005...for all the reasons that have been posted. 

1994 Stoney.

reason is simple.... in my 4 years on the 40 acres, that was the only fucking time we beat those assholes.  Plus I was sitting directly on the fucking goal line for that play.  Got Damn Stoney trucked that fool.

followed by 2005... because 5 straight years of getting assfucked on national TV finally went away.

I cant ever say 2008, it just hurts too much to think about.   How the fuck a 10 point win in a neutral site game is negated by a literal last second 6 point loss away game loss........... it just makes my blood boil

1983. We were both ranked in the top 10 that year...The game where Texas freshman, Edwin Simmons, significantly outrushed Marcus Dupree (anointed as a sure-fire Heisman winner)… Dupree was de-helmeted / concussed during the game and left Norman after the loss to us.

Jeff Leiding took home a war trophy.

https://newsok.com/article/2042311/leiding-takes-home-an-ou-souvenir

2008 and it's not even close.  Best game I've ever been to live (2005 Michigan Rose Bowl was a close second; I unfortunately  was not able to attend the 2006 Rose Bowl vs USC).

As others have mentioned, both teams were ranked top 5 but, most importantly, OU was ranked #1.  There were many ON THIS VERY BOARD who were acting like gaping vaginas before this game, talking about how we were going to get killed.  Acting like OU was the best team they had ever seen and we had no chance.  In fairness to those pussies, however, we had just come off a shaky 2007 season and it was still relatively early into our glorious 2008 run--we did not truly know yet at that point just how good we were.  As we soon saw after that OU game though, 2008 would be our best team since 2005.  We were even better in 2008 than we were in 2009--yes, we had the wrong team play for the NCG (it was nothing short of robbery and fuckery that our 2008 team did not get to play for the title that year against Florida). 

As a result of the 2008 OU game, we obtained the #1 ranking for ourselves.  The very next week, we continued down a brutal stretch of playing four top 10 teams in a row (OU, Mizzou, OkSt, and Tech).  We held onto our #1 ranking until that horrible November night in Lubbock that would have been a non-issue (despite adversity) if Blake fucking Gideon just catches the easiest INT of all time.  We would not lose again that year, but sadly Colt and Tebow would never meet each other on the field.  

That said, fuck OU.  We're coming for their ass this Saturday.

1994 Stoney.
reason is simple.... in my 4 years on the 40 acres, that was the only fucking time we beat those assholes.  Plus I was sitting directly on the fucking goal line for that play.  Got Damn Stoney trucked that fool.
followed by 2005... because 5 straight years of getting assfucked on national TV finally went away.

I cant ever say 2008, it just hurts too much to think about.   How the fuck a 10 point win in a neutral site game is negated by a literal last second 6 point loss away game loss........... it just makes my blood boil

Because the Big 12's tiebreaker system for a 3 way tie fucking sucked. The SEC had it right. You take the 2 teams ranked the highest in the BCS and then head to head. You have to find a way to eliminate the weakest link, which was obviously Tech. We easily had the best win.

In our 1977 win Earl threw a pass and was intercepted.

Austin was completely wild for several hours on The Drag and campus.

oU had won 5/6 leading up to that game and 1976  we tied in DKRs last season, which also seemed like a miracle.

Edited by El Squared

For a long time my W/L record actually attending the game in Dallas was on the positive side. It helped that the first 5 games I ever attended in person were 1983, 1989, 1990, 1991, and 1992 of course. 

I've attended almost every TX-OU game since 1989, with a 20+ year streak from 1989-2013 or so. Which means I've seen a lot of losses in recent years and don't really want to count up my W/L record anymore...

Regardless, ou still sucks

2008 was the best.  

2006 is underrated.  Our defense knocked the piss out of OU all game long and made them quit.  This was before Chizik checkout out and started job hunting. 

Our OL pushed them back on several qb sneaks that gained 4-5 yards.  First McCoy to Shipley TD, I think.  

55 minutes ago, Xcalibur said:

2008 and it's not even close.  Best game I've ever been to live (2005 Michigan Rose Bowl was a close second; I unfortunately  was not able to attend the 2006 Rose Bowl vs USC).

As others have mentioned, both teams were ranked top 5 but, most importantly, OU was ranked #1.  There were many ON THIS VERY BOARD who were acting like gaping vaginas before this game, talking about how we were going to get killed.  Acting like OU was the best team they had ever seen and we had no chance.  In fairness to those pussies, however, we had just come off a shaky 2007 season and it was still relatively early into our glorious 2008 run--we did not truly know yet at that point just how good we were.  As we soon saw after that OU game though, 2008 would be our best team since 2005.  We were even better in 2008 than we were in 2009--yes, we had the wrong team play for the NCG (it was nothing short of robbery and fuckery that our 2008 team did not get to play for the title that year against Florida). 

As a result of the 2008 OU game, we obtained the #1 ranking for ourselves.  The very next week, we continued down a brutal stretch of playing four top 10 teams in a row (OU, Mizzou, OkSt, and Tech).  We held onto our #1 ranking until that horrible November night in Lubbock that would have been a non-issue (despite adversity) if Blake fucking Gideon just catches the easiest INT of all time.  We would not lose again that year, but sadly Colt and Tebow would never meet each other on the field.  

That said, fuck OU.  We're coming for their ass this Saturday.

Interesting note from that game in '08, we got down 11 points TWICE, and came back.  14-3 and 21-10 I believe and that was against a very good OU team.  I told my buddy after that game we had "tough jaw" to come back 2x and win.  Oh that 08 team! what a group.

1958...I know it's prehistoric for most posters here, but I believe 1958 began the post D. X. Bible status of The Longhorns as a nationally  recognized team.

Lifted from Lou Maysel's "Here Come The Texas Longhorns":

"As he looked forward to the Oklahoma game, for which his Longhorns were a 13 point underdog this time, Royal sounded like a man with an obsession about ending The Sooner's streak of six straight victories and nine in the last ten games with Texas. "The only way anybody's going to beat Oklahoma is to go out there and whip 'em jaw to jaw...Texas has to develop a football tradition.  It had one once but lost it. When we get one, maybe we can stop that blood-letting at Dallas and turn it into a good show."

...Royal chose that spot to send Lackey back in, and on the first play he faked a handoff, turned and lobbed a jump pass to Bryant for the touchdown that tied the score...The Texas stands erupted when Bryant made the catch although the Longhorns still had to make the winning point. Lackey kicked it while Blanch held the ball and the signal of the referee touched off more celebration. OU still had 3:10 in which to retaliate and Boyd raised the Sooner hopes by racing 27 yards to the UT 44 when he found no one open for a pass. However, Lackey made a one handed interception on the next play and Texas had the victory that Royal has often looked upon as the pivotal one of his early years at Texas...The victory touched off...elation in Austin which was such that the plane bringing the Longhorns back home had to circle for 15 minutes while policemen moved several thousand fans back off the (air) field to safety."

Note that Bobby Lackey threw the tying pass, kicked the winning PAT, and intercepted the Sooner pass that sealed the victory. He was my first Longhorn hero, along with Rene Ramirez. I would have been a little kid celebrating and greeting the team at the airport, but my mother was so excited that she was speeding and got pulled over for a ticket while driving us kids to the airport in our '57 Studebaker station wagon. 

• Like 2

1990- First OU game.  I was in high school and rode up with my parents and a buddy.  My dad thought he was slick and paid some dude to park.  Car got towed.  didn't care- Cash TD

1994- Stonie F'n Clark my sophomore year at UT

2009- My first time back after a long, self imposed ban after walking out in disgust in 2000, swearing off the OU game for eternity.

Was watching this game in CO while on an elk hunt.  Sitting in a cabin at about 11K feet altitude viewing the game on old rabbit-eared TV.  My fellow hunters were 2 OU grads and 1 aggy.  I was on the receiving end of a lot of talk about how bad the Horns were going to lose.  OU went up early and then this happened...

The mood changed and, of course, it was on after that and UT went on to win.  I didn't say a word.  I just poured another drink and smiled.  All of this was followed up by yours truly taking the biggest bull elk of my career and the 2 OU grads and aggy got completely shut out and never filled their tags.  

Suck it, bitchezz.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

11 hours ago, pacman said:

1994. I grew up with family on A&M, Texas, and OU.

I didn't particularly sit on any side of the fence, though the A&M side was more able to take me to games. Something about this game and the ending made me feel like Texas was the one for me. One quick visit to College Station sealed the deal, as that place sucks hard.

I still feel like that was a genius play call by OU but not genius enough...

Yep, that's the one. The James Brown TD was the other iconic play that day.

• Like 1

I have a soft spot for the 1979 game.  My freshman year, and the only OU game I attended in person.  Most "experts" had already tagged Billy Sims to receive his second Heisman, but Steve McMichael and crew had a different idea.  Billy Sims and the OU offense were stuffed all game long, and Texas won something like 13-7.  I was sitting in the midst of some sooner olds, and towards the middle of the fourth quarter I heard one remark that, "I've never seen OU dominated like this before."  I just smiled and nodded.

Mine has to be the 1977 13-6 win.  It was my third TX/OU game as a student and the first two were a loss and a tie.  It had been six years since the horns had beaten the sooners and Earl Campbell was in the midst of his Heisman run.  The game featured what was most likely the only interception that Earl threw in his entire career and third string QB Randy McEachern coming off the bench after injuries to Mark McBath and John Aune.

Campbell's interception is at 3:30 on Texas' second offensive play

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, Sgt Hulk said:

was 08 the game that colt tossed the pick and the only thing between the DB and 6 was the colt tackle? 

15 minutes ago, PantsTent said:

yes

No, that was the 09 game.  We had 0 turnovers in the 08 game, which is a big part of the reason we won.  We basically played a perfect game.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, AUS-97HORN said:

1994 Stoney.

Pretty much all of this, verbatim.

‘94- I was in the end zone when Stoney knocked the hell outta that bitch. Holy shit - I lost my voice for three days. 

‘05- My first and last time to sit in enemy territory (there’s not another VY walking through that door) My bro-in-law & I scalped tix from a really nice and believe it or not “normal” sooner family. Sat in the end zone, next to said family and watched us take out many years of frustration. It was glorious.  And get this, they understood our jubilation.  It was quite bizarre. 

‘08- Yeah, it was fun.  But then Lubbutt happened.  I’ve been to that place twice- Horns lost both.  Leaving that fucking high school field they call a stadium, I had a Dude in a wheel chair tell me to GTFO - I told him, “no worries we’re rolling out tonight and never coming back”’

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, NTVTXN said:

Pretty much all of this, verbatim.

‘94- I was in the end zone when Stoney knocked the hell outta that bitch. Holy shit - I lost my voice for three days. 

‘05- My first and last time to sit in enemy territory (there’s not another VY walking through that door) My bro-in-law & I scalped tix from a really nice and believe it or not “normal” sooner family. Sat in the end zone, next to said family and watched us take out many years of frustration. It was glorious.  And get this, they understood our jubilation.  It was quite bizarre. 

‘08- Yeah, it was fun.  But then Lubbutt happened.  I’ve been to that place twice- Horns lost both.  Leaving that fucking high school field they call a stadium, I had a Dude in a wheel chair tell me to GTFO - I told him, “no worries we’re rolling out tonight and never coming back”’

I've met plenty of really nice Sooner fans at the State Fair.  And after a couple of those early 2000s losses, especially the 65-13 "Debacle in Dallas II," I had several of them buy me some consolation wax cup beers in the Food Pavilion afterward.  I met some other nice ones in 2005 and reciprocated.  They weren't at all surprised though, they knew before the game 2005 was going to be Texas' year, and that it was going to be a slaughter.

I miss those days.

Edited by utee94

05 and 08 have a place for sure but mine was 13. It was only the second time I’d been to the game (my first being the year before - Jesus Christ). I’ll never forget my roommate had come with me (Sooner fan - we went to SWOSU in Weatherford, OK) and he wanted to buy a hoodie ASAP cause of the gold plated everything that year (even the jerseys had it I believe). So he buys a 80 dollar hoodie, I say fuck it and buy a longhorn shirt with the gold Hook’Em on it.  We fuckin win, make him stay for the eyes and as we’re leaving the fair grounds, he stops on the way out and throws his brand new hoodie in the trash.  Still talks about that damn thing to this day  

CSB

I've met plenty of really nice Sooner fans at the State Fair.  And after a couple of those early 2000s losses, especially the 65-13 "Debacle in Dallas II," I had several of them buy me some consolation wax cup beers in the Food Pavilion afterward.  I met some other nice ones in 2005 and reciprocated.  They weren't at all surprised though, they knew before the game 2005 was going to be Texas' year, and that it was going to be a slaughter.

I miss those days.
Somehow I always come in contact with the overweight gooners, the ones that smell of malt liquor, clove cigs and wearing the always witty "tuck fexas" t shirt.
  • Like 1