YETI Cancels IPO

3 hours ago, Patricio Swayze said:

I own two Yeti cups. One was an incentive gift when I bout a truck bed cover. The other I bought, the burnt Orange Longhorn logo 20oz rambler.

I have a couple of Rtics. Those are also overpriced. I’ll say this though, and I imagine it’s even worse at the Yeti store, when you go into Rtic, all the different products and colors make you want to buy stuff. Shit you don’t need for prices you shouldn’t pay (no matter what your posted pay stub says).

This dude tested the Walmart Ozark Trail vs the Yeti rambler using a data logger, and there is really no difference in the ability to keep hot drinks hot/cold drinks cold. The Yeti costs 4X the price, but it does have a slider on the drink lid. Yeti products are well made, but not really any better made than the competition. Like most premium brands, its just effective product marketing. 

https://reviewed.usatoday.com/home-outdoors/features/walmart-vs-yeti-which-tumbler-is-better

An Ozark Trail tumbler and a Yeti rambler sitting on a table.

My wife wanted me to get some reusable Yeti blue ice blocks for her Yeti cooler she takes on her rodeo road trips.  She wanted me to make sure I got the Yeti brand because, according to her, it’s designed to be used with Yeti coolers and keeps the cooler contents well….cooler.  

She got the Igloo variety of reusable blue ice block and I got a nice round of “why can’t you listen to me, aaaaarguuuuhhhhh?????!!!!????!!!!??” and gnashing of teeth from her.

Saved a bunch of money though.   

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 2

This dude tested the Walmart Ozark Trail vs the Yeti rambler using a data logger, and there is really no difference in the ability to keep hot drinks hot/cold drinks cold. The Yeti costs 4X the price, but it does have a slider on the drink lid. Yeti products are well made, but not really any better made than the competition. Like most premium brands, its just effective product marketing. 
https://reviewed.usatoday.com/home-outdoors/features/walmart-vs-yeti-which-tumbler-is-better
yeti-ozark-trail-hero.jpg

Came to say the same. I’ve got an Ozark Trail that is as good or better than all of the rest of those. My favorite may be Orca due to the lids though.
My wife wanted me to get some reusable Yeti blue ice blocks for her Yeti cooler she takes on her rodeo road trips.  She wanted me to make sure I got the Yeti brand because, according to her, it’s designed to be used with Yeti coolers and keeps the cooler contents well….cooler.  

She got the Igloo variety of reusable blue ice block and I got a nice round of “why can’t you listen to me, aaaaarguuuuhhhhh?????!!!!????!!!!??” and gnashing of teeth from her.
Saved a bunch of money though.   

Horse chicks are fucking crazy.
  • Hook 'Em 1

Do you need a new cast iron skillet?  Do you have $400 to spend on a cast iron skillet?  If the answer to both questions is "yes", then Yeti has got you covered.

The $400 Yeti cast iron skillet

Unfortunately they are out of stock right now but you can be notified when they are available so hold on to your cash.

Edited by ScottS
Availability is the best ability. And ou sucks.
  • Haha 1

On 6/14/2023 at 9:54 AM, Patricio Swayze said:

I own two Yeti cups. One was an incentive gift when I bout a truck bed cover. The other I bought, the burnt Orange Longhorn logo 20oz rambler.

I have a couple of Rtics. Those are also overpriced. I’ll say this though, and I imagine it’s even worse at the Yeti store, when you go into Rtic, all the different products and colors make you want to buy stuff. Shit you don’t need for prices you shouldn’t pay (no matter what your posted pay stub says).

I wish there were some surly yeti or rtic mugs out there

Anyone want to cut some for us? I'd buy in a heartbeat 

19 minutes ago, ScottS said:

Do you need a new cast iron skillet?  Do you have $400 to spend on a cast iron skillet?  If the answer to both questions is "yes", then Yeti has got you covered.

The $400 Yeti cast iron skillet

Unfortunately they are out of stock right now but you can be notified when they are available so hold on to your cash.

It's a 350 butter pat with a yeti logo and some accessories. It's still stupid expensive.

Has anyone done a better job on building a brand than Yeti? My first thought is to say Apple, but they make products that are unique from the competition. 

Other companies literally make was Yeti does, sell it for 25% of the price, and yet Yeti still seems to sell enormous amounts.

14 hours ago, NoName said:

I wish there were some surly yeti or rtic mugs out there

Anyone want to cut some for us? I'd buy in a heartbeat 

Supposedly there was something similar if you bought into Burnt Ends? Supposedly. 

• Haha 3

4 hours ago, FirstTimeCaller said:

Has anyone done a better job on building a brand than Yeti? My first thought is to say Apple, but they make products that are unique from the competition. 

Other companies literally make was Yeti does, sell it for 25% of the price, and yet Yeti still seems to sell enormous amounts.

Yeah the entire fashion industry.  You aren't buying functionality, you are buying the logo. 

On 6/14/2023 at 1:01 PM, Blotto said:

you're not buying a yeti cup, you're buying the yeti lifestyle 

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, CycleTex87 said:

I'd have to clear space in order to add another insulated cup to my collection anyway.  I think the shark has been jumped now in my need for more insulated cups.

This.  Now that every company's sales/promo team seems to be sending out branded Yeti cups as swag lately, I never need to buy another insulated cup or mug ever again. 

On 6/16/2023 at 1:40 PM, Gene Parmesan said:

Yeah the entire fashion industry.  You aren't buying functionality, you are buying the logo. 

Yea, the richest guy in the entire planet earth, for sometime this Spring before being knocked back down to number 2, is the inventor the brown leather bag with LV initials all over it.

On 6/16/2023 at 9:04 AM, FirstTimeCaller said:

I said this upthread, but I hadn't seen it validated by anyone here-- but what I'm seeing in the exburbs is that Yeti is old-hat now and out and it's all about the Stanley cups for the younger families and tiktok generation.

Starter pack meme: Constantly wearing airpods, short shorts, crocs and a Stanley cup

On 6/16/2023 at 9:04 AM, FirstTimeCaller said:

Different definition, but Tito's (allegedly) pulls in about the same amount of revenue as Yeti and makes . . . vodka?  I understand it's pretty good vodka, but it seems Yeti was an early leader in their field.  Tito's, not so much.

• Hook 'Em 2

On 6/14/2023 at 1:01 PM, Blotto said:

slickdeals figured that out 6 years ago

https://daily.slickdeals.net/outdoors/tumbler-comparison-yeti-vs-rtic-ozark-trail/

On 6/25/2023 at 11:33 PM, jimmyjazz said:

Wait, what?  The C8 is the first Corvette worth a damn in nearly 60 years.

I wouldn’t go that far but definitely better than the C7. 

On 6/23/2023 at 1:34 PM, HonkeyVape said:

what I'm seeing in the exburbs is that Yeti is old-hat now and out and it's all about the Stanley cups for the younger families and tiktok generation.

Seen the same. 

On 6/26/2023 at 6:33 AM, jimmyjazz said:

Wait, what?  The C8 is the first Corvette worth a damn in nearly 60 years.

thats what makes it not a corvette.

aesthetically a corvette is a big long hood to hold that big motor.  cab-forward design with side scoops feeding the rear engine is too "european".  they changed the fundamental concept.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, 52-80 said:

thats what makes it not a corvette.

aesthetically a corvette is a big long hood to hold that big motor.  cab-forward design with side scoops feeding the rear engine is too "european".  they changed the fundamental concept.

. . . and made a much better sports car.  They can call it whatever they want.

48 minutes ago, CooterBrown said:

28 cooler brands compared.

TLDW: Orion, Cabella's, Orca, and Otterbox all lasted 9 days. Yeti and RTIC lasted 7 days. 

that guy looks like a younger Matt Pittman with a mullet

Matt Pittman:

Matt-Pittman.png

cooler guy:

image.png.67985d32f3208cd8eb7bcd219a28fb20.png

• 3 weeks later...
On 7/10/2023 at 7:41 PM, kevwun said:

I got a Yeti chair for Christmas last year.  It's like sitting on a cloud. I have no regrets, it wasn't my money.

They were expensive, but I just got two of the best camp chairs I've ever sat in.  They are amazing.  Got them 30% off at REI, so $200 each instead of $300.  But they are worth $300.

https://www.nemoequipment.com/collections/furniture/products/stargaze-reclining-camp-chair

12 minutes ago, Chewbacca said:

They were expensive, but I just got two of the best camp chairs I've ever sat in.  They are amazing.  Got them 30% off at REI, so $200 each instead of $300.  But they are worth $300.

https://www.nemoequipment.com/collections/furniture/products/stargaze-reclining-camp-chair

FYI, if you want more or spares, both Costco and Sam's have knockoffs for about $60

https://www.costco.com/swinging-hammock-chair.product.4000079781.html

https://www.samsclub.com/p/member-s-mark-swing-chair-lounger/P03012032?xid=plp_product_7

Edited by UnivTex34

11 minutes ago, UnivTex34 said:

Those might be OK, but they look like cheap knockoffs.  And they don't recline.  The Nemo chairs' base is heavy duty aluminum (chairs are rated to 300#) and they recline just by leaning back.

Edited by Chewbacca

15 minutes ago, Chewbacca said:

Those might be OK, but they look like cheap knockoffs.  And they don't recline.  The Nemo chairs' base is heavy duty aluminum (chairs are rated to 300#) and they recline just by leaning back.

I have used both my man. Other than cheaper materials and being heavier, they sit the same. And yes they recline just fine. Buddy swears by his Nemo's  but bought these to add more to his RV setup for guests, and they are almost interchangeable.

1 minute ago, UnivTex34 said:

I have used both my man. Other than cheaper materials and being heavier, they sit the same. And yes they recline just fine. Buddy swears by his Nemo's  but bought these to add more to his RV setup for guests, and they are almost interchangeable.

You do you.  They don't say anything about reclining, though.  Not on the Costco website, anyway.  I try to avoid buying anything from Walmart if I can.

Just now, Chewbacca said:

You do you.  They don't say anything about reclining, though.  Not on the Costco website, anyway.  I try to avoid buying anything from Walmart if I can.

That's fair, and I swear by my Nemo backpacking pillow. Was just pointing out that there are cheaper alternatives for folks that didn't want to spend yeti money on a chair.

• Hook 'Em 1

• 2 months later...
On 7/28/2023 at 1:01 PM, Chewbacca said:

If I ever need a camping sex swing, I'll check them out.