Right Wing Extremist Violence Thread

Hugo Stiglitz

And liberals. 
Don't get mad at me, it's just the data. 
original.jpg

shrug-leonardo.gif

This is another one of your Helsinki, Sweden moments.

Terrorists tend to be single men. Single people are rarely terrorists. Yet, the latest round of domestic terrorists tend to be rightwing. Though anecdotally, there’s more and more family men convicted of federal crimes after attempting to violently overthrow our government.

The both sides movement is crumbling. Standard-bearers like Joe Rogan and Elon Musk are proving over and over again they are rightwing or exploiting conservatism and libertarianism to extend their brand of nihilism.
  • Hook 'Em 2

https://www.politico.com/news/magazine/2022/01/14/we-found-the-one-group-of-americans-who-are-most-likely-to-spread-fake-news-526973

We also wanted to understand what, exactly, drives LCCs to spread misinformation. So, in one of the studies, we asked participants to report their leanings on a range of potential influences: level of support for Trump, time spent on social media, distrust of the mainstream media, and endorsement of conservative social and economic values. To our surprise, none of these factors was a reliable predictor of LCCs’ elevated tendency to share false news stories.

Instead, using statistical analysis, we found that the only reliable explanation was a general desire for chaos — that is, a motivation to disregard, disrupt, and take down existing social and political institutions as a means of asserting the dominance and superiority of one’s own group.

• Hook 'Em 4

E1776B3D-1E2C-4344-A2AC-41440663DBA1.thumb.png.a85e4f9292fa4beab08f0bf87f3e53fd.png

I just want to note that this cop wannabe has a thin blue line, back the blue flag, but has no problem wanting to kill FBI agents.

That encapsulates the broken brain, mixed-up synapse head of a MAGA.   LEO good, LEO FBI bad, ‘cause Biden. Trump says so.   Also, Capital Police bad, see again, keep us from killing Pelosi.   See, again, Trump says traitor.  Cops who kill blacks good, ‘cause BLM. 

• Hook 'Em 6

4 hours ago, Nivek said:

“our research makes clear that anyone trying to reach LCCs needs to experiment with interventions that go beyond fact-checking. We believe the onus falls primarily on social media companies. There is plenty of evidence that a user’s personality and political ideology can be inferred based on their social media activity. If these companies can identify LCCs, that means they can also be proactive in making sure LCCs are presented with reliable information, and not with falsities.”

ROTFLMAO

• Hook 'Em 1

20 hours ago, Brisketexan said:

Understand that he's about a middle-of-the-road MAGA cultist, all things considered.  He just had the poor judgment to actually post the things he says to his buddies in private...

and he tried it in a small town. 

• Haha 1

I'd love to see a stat of all those conservative women who have at least one divorce. Or more interestingly, how many of those marriages are terrible (infidelity, abuse, etc.) but they stay married because preacher says divorce isn't allowed.

4 hours ago, wildcat09 said:

Ana is very triggered by the existence of unmarried women. 

I am not sure that I am the one triggered by the discussion. 

8 hours ago, SydneyCarton said:

Wait, You're telling me that people who's political viewpoints have a strong overlap with religion and the "values" of getting married and having kids (often young) have a higher rate of marriage than a political viewpoint with a higher percentage of empowered women and a group of people who are less likely to marry in general because it's not tied to some level of their divine purpose and salvation? A viewpoint that doesn't have "go forth and multiply" Huh. You don't fucking say. 

Sure, they also have better mental health and well-being. There is a substantial gap in self reported well-being between conservatives and liberals, and the gap is greatest among females. 

8 hours ago, SydneyCarton said:

Now find me the data talking about extremists on any side of a spectrum. I bet they're overwhelmingly single regardless of political affiliation. Becuase it's hard to have a healthy realtionship when you're fucking crazy. 

Sure.  Here it is.  From DHS/UM START collaboration, Profiles of Individual Radicalization in the United States (PIRUS) database. You can play with the data yourself. 

The Profiles of Individual Radicalization in the United States (PIRUS) dataset contains deidentified individual-level information on the backgrounds, attributes, and radicalization processes of over 3,200 violent and non-violent extremists who adhere to far-right, far-left, Islamist, or single-issue ideologies in the United States covering 1948-2021. Coded using entirely public sources of information, the PIRUS dataset is among the first efforts to understand domestic radicalization from an empirical and scientifically rigorous perspective. Users can now explore the rich PIRUS data using the Keshif data visualization tool, a user-friendly platform that allows for intuitive and insightful analysis of the data in real-time.

https://www.start.umd.edu/profiles-individual-radicalization-united-states-pirus-keshif

Overall (S/M/Unknown): 47.8%, 22.8%, 23.7%

Far Right (S/M/Uknown): 37.5%, 22.6%, 29.2%

Far Left (S/M/Unknown): 61.4%, 8.6%, 26.5%

FYI, I limited to 2001-2023 to keep things more contemporary. 

8 hours ago, Eskimohorn said:

Yet, the latest round of domestic terrorists tend to be rightwing.

From CSIS report, including data through 2021. Maybe just an unstable data point. 

To better understand the trends in U.S. domestic terrorism, CSIS compiled a data set of 1,040 terrorist attacks and plots in the United States between January 1, 1994, and December 31, 2021. The 2021 data are new, and they yield several main findings.

First, there was a significant increase in the number and percentage of domestic terrorist incidents at demonstrations in cities in 2020 and 2021. In 2019, only 2 percent of all U.S. terrorist attacks and plots occurred at demonstrations, but this portion rose to 47 percent in 2020 and 53 percent in 2021. The result is that some metropolitan areas of the United States—such as Portland, Seattle, New York, Los Angeles, and Washington, D.C.—are becoming focal points of domestic terrorism, where extremists from opposing sides square off against each other and against law enforcement agencies. This development has created a “security dilemma” in metropolitan areas, where attempts by one side to improve its own security threatens the security of others, leading to further escalation.

Second, U.S. law enforcement agencies have increasingly become a target of domestic terrorists from all sides of the political spectrum. The government, military, and especially law enforcement were the primary targets of domestic terrorist attacks and plots in 2021, composing 43 percent of all attacks. They were most likely to be targeted regardless of perpetrator ideology: they were selected in 48 percent of violent far-left events, 37 percent of violent far-right events, and all Salafi-jihadist events in 2021. This development indicates that U.S. security agencies—particularly law enforcement—are increasingly at risk from domestic terrorism.

Third, there was an increase in the percentage of attacks and plots by anarchists, anti-fascists, and other likeminded extremists in 2021. While white supremacists, anti-government militias, and likeminded extremists conducted the most attacks and plots in 2021 (49 percent), the percentage of attacks and plots by anarchists, anti-fascists, and likeminded extremists grew from 23 percent in 2020 to 40 percent in 2021. This rise has occurred alongside an increase in violence at demonstrations. However, although there was a historically high level of both far-right and far-left terrorist attacks in 2021, violent far-right incidents were significantly more likely to be lethal, both in terms of weapon choice and number of resulting fatalities.

• Haha 1

8 minutes ago, sidis said:

only 209 despite the summer of 2020 through 2021 increase in response to george floyd.

I agree that this one doesn't quite hang together, and may be a reflection of some limitations/bias in their case definitions. Esp when contrasted to the CSIS analysis also linked.  

1 hour ago, Anastasis said:

Sure, they also have better mental health and well-being. There is a substantial gap in self reported well-being between conservatives and liberals, and the gap is greatest among females. 

Oh man that's crazy, you're telling me that conservative women are less likely to answer a random poller about their mental health and well being than liberal women? The group most likely to think everything is fine and as it should be is less vocal than the group challenging the status quo? Well I never!

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1
  • Haha 3

16 minutes ago, Covri said:

Oh man that's crazy, you're telling me that conservative women are less likely to answer a random poller about their mental health and well being than liberal women? The group most likely to think everything is fine and as it should be is less vocal than the group challenging the status quo? Well I never!

This a pretty lazy critique. The range of studies and various methods used, including standardized and validated instruments, are broad. They replicate across age groups, sexes, and even ex-US. But go ahead and "Well I never!" I guess. 

5 hours ago, tx 3 putt said:

😂😂😂😂😂

Did the good pastor speak truth about this trend to the flock or silently kowtow to keeping butts in the seats? Or did they just talk about it in the pastors’ sewing circle?

Granted, alienating the audience isn’t ideal when Christianity is on the ropes in the US, but this reality must be confronted. It’s an existential crisis for the US.

You want to stay culturally relevant? Call out the elephant in the room. The adage of keeping politics out of churches is a charade when identity politics permeates everything.

Edited by Degenerate Gardner
  • Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 1

I see an overlap with the fact that conservatives report being happier. People who have a simple worldview and see things in black-and-white are happier. Lots of studies have shown that people who view things in black and white are happier. They do not have to worry about nuance and complexity, because those two things are worrisome.
if I’m in front of a judge and can cite several cases on all fours with facts virtually identical to mine, I feel pretty comfortable.   If there are eight cases with outcomes depending on some circuit split nuance, and none of them are a perfect fit with my fact pattern, I am nervous as shit and staring at the ceiling the night before.
Being a hurr-durr black and white, “Bible says it, that ends it” type of guy, many conservatives find it very calming and conducive to happiness. Always being right and sure of a narrow worldview removes a lot of the angst from the world.
  • Hook 'Em 7
  • Like 2

42 minutes ago, Degenerate Gardner said:

Did the good pastor speak truth about this trend to the flock or silently kowtow to keeping butts in the seats? Or did they just talk about it in the pastors’ sewing circle?

Granted, alienating the audience isn’t ideal when Christianity is on the ropes in the US, but this reality must be confronted. It’s an existential crisis for the US.

You want to stay culturally relevant? Call out the elephant in the room. The adage of keeping politics out of churches is a charade when identity politics permeates everything.

he's probably more worried about money going to trump instead of the 'church' 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 2

13 minutes ago, Gatorubet said:

I see an overlap with the fact that conservatives report being happier. People who have a simple worldview and see things in black-and-white are happier

I think that there is certainly something to that. You can posture it in different ways, but there is something to having a worldview with some stable notions, versus the confusion inherent to a post-modern relativism, and the related pathologies that express. 

• Haha 1
  • Fuck You 1

48 minutes ago, Gatorubet said:

I see an overlap with the fact that conservatives report being happier. People who have a simple worldview and see things in black-and-white are happier. Lots of studies have shown that people who view things in black and white are happier. They do not have to worry about nuance and complexity, because those two things are worrisome.
if I’m in front of a judge and can cite several cases on all fours with facts virtually identical to mine, I feel pretty comfortable.   If there are eight cases with outcomes depending on some circuit split nuance, and none of them are a perfect fit with my fact pattern, I am nervous as shit and staring at the ceiling the night before.
Being a hurr-durr black and white, “Bible says it, that ends it” type of guy, many conservatives find it very calming and conducive to happiness. Always being right and sure of a narrow worldview removes a lot of the angst from the world.

I can’t help but recall how Ted Haggard regaled the unsuspecting with stories of how spiritually, emotionally and sexually satisfied conservatives Christians like himself were, only to find out it was the coke and the man on man sex that put a smile on his face.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Drool 1

2 hours ago, Anastasis said:

This a pretty lazy critique. The range of studies and various methods used, including standardized and validated instruments, are broad. They replicate across age groups, sexes, and even ex-US. But go ahead and "Well I never!" I guess. 

I actually like you as a poster on the other forums, but even I don't give a shit about your CR stances, and all I care about is making jokes and posting gifs here lol.

Edited by Covri
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, Anastasis said:

The Profiles of Individual Radicalization in the United States (PIRUS) dataset contains deidentified individual-level information on the backgrounds, attributes, and radicalization processes of over 3,200 violent and non-violent extremists who adhere to far-right, far-left, Islamist, or single-issue ideologies in the United States covering 1948-2021.

The difference between violent and non-violent radicals is the difference between crime and first amendment protection. 

I do wish this forum included posters who ferret out, and share, instances of violent leftists. Would be informative. As it is, queries about radical leftists, in general, is akin to playing handball against drapery.

Edited by Willfully Horn

3 hours ago, Gatorubet said:

This all fucking day long. I sometimes envy my in-laws. Simple world view with no critical thinking skills equals pure happiness. They fucking think dinosaurs were on the ark with Noah for gods sake because the idiots in Kentucky put them in an exhibit. Fuck, life is much easier and happier when stupid 

• Hook 'Em 2