ShaggyTexas Handover

Viper

6 minutes ago, blacklab said:

Yeah, $350k plus $200k in legal fees. Basically 10 years of income from shaggy, land thieves, and a dozen or so other sites I built over the years. Plus they counted money I brought in for march madness and football pools, even though that money went strait back out. (often at a loss as I ate the fees) They also counted all the money that came into my paypal or bank account, even though thousands of that was from poker, sports betting and programming projects. 

So you were able to settle over those type issues instead of having to appeal.  Good deal.  The attorneys fees suck, but I'm cool with calling that "self-inflicted."  I am, of course, hideously biased on that subject.  :ph34r:

To be clear, that $550k is what Kevin won in the judgement. The judgement was dismissed by bankruptcy. I paid out about $50k of attorney's fees to my lawyer.

The bill from the firm to Kevin was around $600k. The bill was pretty amazing. $1500 an hour for senior attorneys, $750 an hour for guys a year or two out of school. $200 an hour for interns, $150 an hour for staff. They knocked down the bill a bunch. There was also some sort of contingency they alluded to in the lawyer fee negotiation. 

I'm really curious what Kevin ended up paying them. I wonder if they just handed Kevin the full bill after bankruptcy.  Any big firm lawyers want to weigh in on how this is typically handled when a case is won with attorney fees but the other side never pays?

• Haha 2

32 minutes ago, blacklab said:

Yeah, $350k plus $200k in legal fees. Basically 10 years of income from shaggy, land thieves, and a dozen or so other sites I built over the years. Plus they counted money I brought in for march madness and football pools, even though that money went strait back out. (often at a loss as I ate the fees) They also counted all the money that came into my paypal or bank account, even though thousands of that was from poker, sports betting and programming projects. 

Does that include the $5 you made off of Woolly?

41 minutes ago, Sbbruin said:

We need to exact blood money then.

Now we could do it with conventional weapons, but that could take years and cost millions of lives. No, I think we have to go all out. I think that this situation absolutely requires a really futile and stupid gesture be done on somebody's part!

• Like 2

I’m most sorry for the strain it put on Bob. No good deed goes unpunished. In the aftermath, I feel this community lost some posters and content from those who went to pay boards, or started their “by invitation only” board, or just gave up posting. I also miss the squirrels. Between those two factors, the football offseason post volume and LOLs have been greatly diminished. 

Thanks for the update(s), BL.

So it looks like his own lawyers cannibalized him.  I guess that's some relief, but the only thing that reeks about it is that those same shitbag lawyers are only encouraged to do the same thing some other time again.  But that's life, you can't plug up every asshole, you have to let some just fart their odious gas and make the best of it.|

And while I'm in no position to take issue with whether he is a good businessman, and I'll just believe he generally is, he seemed like a really shitty businessman with this.  My guess is that the lawyers didn't talk him into anything that he really didn't want to ultimately do anyway.

I just sense this entitlement ("I'm more significant than you") air about him, maybe not.  I've seen those schleps come and go over my lifetime, and ultimately most of them end up eating their own turds (pun intended towards the fun little spell right after the coup).  So much the better.

Anyway, onward and downward! (My Surly motto).  Carry on, gentlemen...

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, blacklab said:

To be clear, that $550k is what Kevin won in the judgement. The judgement was dismissed by bankruptcy. I paid out about $50k of attorney's fees to my lawyer.

The bill from the firm to Kevin was around $600k. The bill was pretty amazing. $1500 an hour for senior attorneys, $750 an hour for guys a year or two out of school. $200 an hour for interns, $150 an hour for staff. They knocked down the bill a bunch. There was also some sort of contingency they alluded to in the lawyer fee negotiation. 

I'm really curious what Kevin ended up paying them. I wonder if they just handed Kevin the full bill after bankruptcy.  Any big firm lawyers want to weigh in on how this is typically handled when a case is won with attorney fees but the other side never pays?

Ishouldhavebeenascumbaglawyercat.gif

Edited by Anastasis

1 hour ago, blacklab said:

Oh fuck, man.  Sorry to hear that.

Anyone with a lick of sense involved in a lawsuit knows that collecting a judgment from anything other than a Fortune 500 company is a pure crapshoot.  Even wealthy individuals can legitimately secure assets against execution, and small corporations, even very profitable ones, typically have minimal assets.  Decent lawyers remind their clients of that constantly.  In the biggest of bigtime litigation, collection isn't a worry, typically, although bankruptcy can be a possibility even with major corporations.

If, as a decent lawyer should, you have reminded your client of collection risk and that the whole thing may be "good money after bad," you present your bill without flinching and expect payment.  That said, fee bills constantly get negotiated to one degree or another.  One of my colleagues routinely cut litigation bills by 10 or 20% knowing that there was duplication and wheel-spinning built into it.  Big firms don't do that.

But judgments go uncollected or only partially collected all the time.  It's more normal than abnormal.  Any plaintiff should understand that.

Similarly, the cost of defending yourself, when there is always a chance that you lose, is a tough call (good money down the drain), and why a reasonable settlement should always be on the table.

Honestly, a blll of $50k for a jury trial after a year or more of pretrial shenanigans with a dickwad opponent, is a very reasonable bill.  I know that's small consolation, but it's the God's honest truth.

Edited by TwiceHorn

2 hours ago, blacklab said:

Tree-fiddy just took on a whole new meaning.

2 hours ago, blacklab said:

Wholly shit.   They went in dry on him from the beginning. I've had some pretty damned good attorneys on contingency over the years, but none approached those hourly levels.  Glad you made it out without worse damage, the heart problem and stent sucks though.

59 minutes ago, Iconoclast Texan said:

Shit man I didn’t know you needed a stent put in because of the stress. I am glad you’re doing better that you no longer have to deal with that Eskimo Hut cunt ass bitch. No heart attacks allowed you hear :)

Yeah, had a heart attack in January of 2017

3 hours ago, blacklab said:

The bill from the firm to Kevin was around $600k. The bill was pretty amazing. $1500 an hour for senior attorneys, $750 an hour for guys a year or two out of school. $200 an hour for interns, $150 an hour for staff.

That's a lot of shitty slushies.

15 hours ago, blacklab said:

Yeah, had a heart attack in January of 2017

14 hours ago, markstanco said:

If you are ever passing through TXK to Arkansaw, Memphis, etc, I will meet you at a local place that makes a killer double patty chicken fried cheeseburger.  Goes great with a diet coke. 

our-deep-fried-cheese.jpg

I think I see what you did there