Русский корабль - иди нахуй

Eastwood

I know they have a website keeping track of equipment losses, but has anyone then piggybacked off of this to make a rolling counter of the actual cost in today's rubles/dollars/pounds of the equipment losses Russia has sustained.

I am really interested to see how much they have essentially erased from their economy much less how much it would cost to refit or replace..

22 minutes ago, Gatorubet said:

Speaking of crying, how’d you like to be the one assigned to tell Putin his Black Sea Flagship named after Russia’s capital was sunk?

"Comrade! There has been an incident aboard the naval vessel Moskva, but our brave sailors are getting the issue under control."

And tell him nothing else.

Edited by The Dog
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, ABSR said:

The US Navy likely still uses Morse code in flashing light communications.   At least we did in the 90’s.   Not often, but signalmen trained on it.

But yes the Morse code thing makes no sense. For radio or other comms they would have used.

Is commo concentrated in one part of a ship? I wonder if there is a missile-explosion-sized hole where the fancier systems sat?

On 4/12/2022 at 10:07 PM, atomheartbevo said:

On 4/12/2022 at 10:12 PM, InkaUtexas said:

Been waiting on this. I wonder who would fly them. 

Those are the normal aircraft deployed with that class of ship, it carries a lot of Marines and their pilots fly those aircraft.

Edited by TexasEd

So what is the end game here? Let's assume Russia keeps getting its ass pushed in. Putin isn't going to allow Russia to be defeated by Ukraine, give up Donbas and Crimea and say never mind to the Russian people. And hoping that the Russian government is overthrown or collapses is a fool's game: It may happen but it isn't something that can be relied on. So will Putin use tactical nukes on Kyiv to force the war to end? What would be NATO's response to the escalation? Obviously, the West could invade Russia but there would likely be consequences and even if it was successful, the West wouldn't leave Russia in anarchy. And we aren't going to use nukes. What would Russia's response be to counter?

Putin cares about retaining power above all else. Using nukes is almost a guarantee that he loses that power - either because he’s dead through MAD or by the entire world invading to depose him. The standard Russian playbook in this case is to continue ratcheting up the purges and accusations of traitors.

• Hook 'Em 1

9 minutes ago, Auto Driller said:

Putin cares about retaining power above all else. Using nukes is almost a guarantee that he loses that power - either because he’s dead through MAD or by the entire world invading to depose him. The standard Russian playbook in this case is to continue ratcheting up the purges and accusations of traitors.

I'm worried that he has deluded himself into believing that there's no way he ever loses power, and that his #1 focus now is to save face. That could mean nuking Kyiv or worse. 

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, Auto Driller said:

This.  "We were betrayed by these assholes that I'm killing off, otherwise we'd all be drinking champagne in Kyiv right now!"  Feeds on the "they're out to get us" myth and also bolsters Puton's personal mythology via "Only I can save you from all these traitors I'm finding."  

• Hook 'Em 1

3 minutes ago, Chad Fuck said:

This.  "We were betrayed by these assholes that I'm killing off, otherwise we'd all be drinking champagne in Kyiv right now!"  Feeds on the "they're out to get us" myth and also bolsters Puton's personal mythology via "Only I can save you from all these traitors I'm finding."  

Military purges in the face of defeat is as old as men picking up sticks to try and kill one another.  Recent examples besides Hitler/Stalin and Saddam in Iraq, China in the 80's, even Syria and Uganda.  

As for nukes, we have to remember Russia use is not as a last resort.  It's a battlefield, tactical response written into their military doctrine.  Been that way for decades.  For use when as "escalation" need to be "de-escalated"

"in response to large-scale aggression utilizing conventional weapons in situations critical to the national security of the Russian Federation." It also explicitly states for the first time that Russia "reserves the right" to use nuclear weapons to respond to all "weapons of mass destruction" attacks. Furthermore, the doctrine reaffirms Russia's negative security assurances to non-nuclear-weapon states and reiterates Russia's extension of its nuclear umbrella to its allies.

3 minutes ago, BabaYaga said:

Military purges in the face of defeat is as old as men picking up sticks to try and kill one another.  Recent examples besides Hitler/Stalin and Saddam in Iraq, China in the 80's, even Syria and Uganda.  

As for nukes, we have to remember Russia use is not as a last resort.  It's a battlefield, tactical response written into their military doctrine.  Been that way for decades.  For use when as "escalation" need to be "de-escalated"

Well, I don't think we can rely on Russia to rely on their military doctrine.  That's pretty clear by now.

The doctrine is what one guy says it is.  And Putin is definitely the kind of guy who could say "burn it all down" if it came to that.  I mean, that's essentially what he's doing conventionally.  

• Hook 'Em 1