Donald Trump 2019

Francisco 2.0

2 hours ago, Hugo Stiglitz said:

018C8A94-8429-418E-9985-E5D91B54A20C_zps

This is blasphemous...these men were patriots...they would have flown American!  

Not to mention, you know Franklin would have preferred aisle an seat so he could chat up the stewardesses.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Horn Under a Bad Sign said:

Most people don't realize that the band "Jefferson Airplane"  took it's name from Thomas Jefferson's airplane.

Until Trump told them about Space Force and they renamed the band Jefferson Starship.

• Like 6
  • Haha 2

Full interview

As a country, the tragedy isn’t that we deserve the self-immolation we’re going through. The tragedy is that we deserve even worse.

We are too stupid to continue as a going concern. I would reduce our rating to “junk” status, and call it a day.

29 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

As a country, the tragedy isn’t that we deserve the self-immolation we’re going through. The tragedy is that we deserve even worse.

We are too stupid to continue as a going concern. I would reduce our rating to “junk” status, and call it a day.

Is it tragedy or comedy?

42 minutes ago, atomheartbevo said:

Full interview

As someone mentioned up thread, I'm beginning to understand the "he talks like us" rationale.  

Everything they say about others is a perfect description of themselves.

Biden is "all about the money"...yet the Grafter in Chief is totally cool.

5 hours ago, 4th&Five said:

We’re broke again!

Washington(CNN)The US Department of Agriculture has suspended data collection for its annual Honey Bee Colonies report, citing cost cuts -- a move that robs researchers and the honeybee industry of a critical tool for understanding honeybee population declines, and comes as the USDA is curtailing other research programs.

It's also another step toward undoing President Barack Obama's government-wide focus on protecting pollinators, including bees and butterflies, whose populations have plummeted in recent years.

The Republican war on science marches on. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Pato del Muerto said:

You guys never been around evangelicals before?  They don’t just stop talking about god when bad shit happens. That’s when they talk about the great mystery that is god’s plan, and that we’re not meant to understand it. 

Thats why I wonder about all the praying. God’s plan is apparently pretty malleable such that He can choose to change it based on a prayer.  

My community is covered with these signs.  Yards, RVs, golf carts, you name it.  Like praying to a mythical being is the answer instead of reasonable logical thought and compromise.   To me, they are saying, "Fuck it, someone else messed all this up, not me, not us.  All we can do is trust God now to deliver us into the world we want, we deserve." 

I'm pretty sure if I were a practicing christian, my prayers would not be the same as theirs at this point.  I'm kinda thinking what they want and what they deserve are not the same thing. 

pray_for_our_nation_sign_img_3291.jpg

6 hours ago, Bruh Man said:

Economic anxiety they said....

Anybody who doesn't think MAGA is a front for white nationalism is stupider than Trump.

MAGA has become only worrying that you and yours (white people) are doing fine and not giving two shits about anyone else. Holding onto what you have for dear life. 

Edited by mdmost
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, pyrohornIII said:

pray_for_our_nation_sign_img_3291.jpg

Well, since that verse calls people to humble themselves and turn from their wickedness, it seems completely at odds with the philosophy of the current administration. 

Edited by NWBuck
  • Like 2

38 minutes ago, Red Five said:

"Trump is a monster. As a christian how can you even think about supporting him?"

"Oh he's not perfect but God forgives us all."

"Actually, Trump has said that he's never asked for forgiveness. For anything."

"Oh. Well, there's an (R) next to his name so fuck it."

xew4nmq3muytrlgmickm.jpg

The R stands for redeemed!

I'd be interested in a discussion on how we got into and out of the gilded age, how the present seems to both parallel and deviate from that segment of our history. 

I watched it on Amazon, but any server with PBS has it. 

https://www.pastemagazine.com/articles/2018/02/the-gilded-age-american-experience-documentary-rev.html

suspect every generation probably faces a temptation to believe they are the ones on the precipice, the ones at the tipping point, the ones facing things like nothing we’ve ever faced before.

So it’s good to be reminded of our history, because what we’re experiencing mostly has happened before.

The Gilded Age, directed by Sarah Colt, is exactly the kind of documentary that keeps PBS eternally relevant and for which we have always relied on it. It tracks the rise of the great industrial titans of 19th century New York and the development of the original American 1%. As one of the interviewed historians notes, it’s important to remember that “gilded” doesn’t mean “gold.” It’s a veneer, a thin golden coating on another material. She then mentions “the rot underneath,” and while that’s not inherently what the word connotes, there’s certainly plenty of rot to examine in our industrial past and its ramifications for the present.

We follow the trajectories of the storied barons of New York society—Andrew Carnegie’s steel fortune, JP Morgan’s rise to the top of the banking world, the Vanderbilts’ railroad fortune and their (at the time) controversial ascension into elite society. We see how the decadent splendor of a few families was built, often brutally, on the backs of the working class. Via a number of historians and a lot of very cool archival images, the program provides a kind of origin story for questions we’re still asking today. How should the economy work? What is its best relationship to government? Can we concern ourselves with economic growth and economic justice, or is it always one at the expense of the other? Are we indeed one nation in which everyone has the opportunity to thrive, or is there one United States for the extremely wealthy and one for the rest of us?

As New York City became the first American city with a million inhabitants, the economy was booming and jobs were abundant. But the wealth of the people at the top depended on cheap labor, and working-class folks (including children) were expected to work twelve-hour days for very low wages. Henry George inflamed the imaginations of American laborers with his best-selling Progress & Poverty, which condemned the growing economic inequality and put forth the premise that poverty was not due to personal failure but caused by a rigged system. He was nominated as a Labor candidate for mayor of New York. He was defeated, but it was a very close race.

The program also takes us to Kansas and the rise of social justice activist Mary Elizabeth Lease, who was instrumental in developing the Populist party, which in 1890 won a staggering 91 seats in the Kansas state legislature. The movement spread. Labor unions developed. There were strikes in defiance of wage cuts for steel workers and other laborers. Clashes between laborers and barons of industry created massive economic instability, stock market disasters, mass unemployment, starvation and violence. There was a march on Washington. The government sided with people like Carnegie, enabling him to thwart union efforts to obtain fairer wages.

Sound familiar?

The program takes us through the Presidential election of 1896, in which pro-labor candidate William Jennings Bryan proposed an alternative to the pervasive notion of “trickle-down” economics. His suggestion that legislating to make the masses prosperous would in fact trickle up. 80% of the eligible voters in the United States voted in that election. Bryan lost, by a slim margin, to William McKinley, who had the backing of people like Carnegie and Morgan.

“The question of wealth versus people ballooned in the Gilded Age,” concludes historian Nell Irvin Painter. “Do our governments represent wealth or do they represent people? This is a fundamental issue, which is with us today.”

Upshot: The Gilded Age is a solid, thorough, well-constructed documentary. They say those who fail to learn history are doomed to repeat it—and perhaps we are doomed to repeat history no matter how much we learn. (It certainly sometimes seems like it; this program will give you a strong and unsettling sense of déjà vu.) It’s important viewing for anyone who wants a deeper understanding of the economic realities we’re living with right now, and how we got here.

5 hours ago, mdmost said:

MAGA has become only worrying that you and yours (white people) are doing fine and not giving two shits about anyone else. Holding onto what you have for dear life. 

Most people I see with MAGA gear look like they are living some pretty rough lives.  None of them are doing fine. 

14 hours ago, RPM said:

Religion fucks up some of the best people. I've got family that were sucked into 'The Cowboy Church'. It's the most Aggy of cults. Sid Miller is one of their heroes.

Some friends of mine quit going there when they learned that, during Sunday school, the teachers told their six year old that he needs to go tell his parents to give as much money as possible to the church. 

Guest Lobo

It's been 3 days since his swirling oratory.  How have some of y'all not organized a reverse Tea Party?  You dump out your iced tea into the TSA bins at the airport to protest Trump yet also celebrate our brave military?  

13 hours ago, pyrohornIII said:

I'd be interested in a discussion on how we got into and out of the gilded age, how the present seems to both parallel and deviate from that segment of our history. 

I watched it on Amazon, but any server with PBS has it. 

https://www.pastemagazine.com/articles/2018/02/the-gilded-age-american-experience-documentary-rev.html

Teddy Roosevelt ain't walking through that door.

• Like 1