Formerly DT: COVID-19 - Featuring Lots of Politics, now CR because political talk not going away

InkaUtexas

3 hours ago, Sbbruin said:

All bars, restaurants, nightclubs and entertainment venues in LA closed Through March 31.  Delivery only. Going to be crazy for a couple of weeks, and likely longer. Here we go.

We officially have a crisis on our hands.  Where is everyone in Hollywood going to go to get their cocaine?

• Fuck You 1

2 hours ago, ChiTownDoc said:

Weird.  It's easy to practice social distancing and golf.  Makes no sense. 

Yeah, Golf Digest even had an article with some medical experts who said golf would be one of the safest things you could still do.  Just don't share a cart and avoid the clubhouse bar after the round.  What are they going to ban next? Fishing?

• Fuck You 1

20 minutes ago, EMAWesome said:

We officially have a crisis on our hands.  Where is everyone in Hollywood going to go to get their cocaine?

Dude, if you don't have it delivered you don't belong in Hollywood.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, gecko said:

WTF did I just watch?

2 minutes ago, Gardner Barnes said:

Is that real? Wtf

I see y’all  never been on r/watchpeopledie.

You learn pretty quick that:

1.) China don’t play no games. People get run over all the time

2.) Brazilians get shot a lot

3.) There’s a surprising amount of people getting electrocuted

Now, there’s an obvious bias in the data as it requires people to be recording for you to see a video of a person dying.

This was posted by a doctor in New Orleans on a different message board I've frequented over the years. Absolutely terrifying. You all stay safe.

So, just to give some perspective.
Yesterday, I was in a 3 hr meeting at the hospital deciding on our principles of treatment once the trigger of a 'disaster' declaration is declared. I expect it will be this week.
Today, we have 18 Covid patients (btwm for you young folk out and about in bars, 2 of the folks on vents are healthy twentysomethings).
3 days ago, we had 2.
It is truly at the exponential phase. We'll be Italy in 7-10 days.
So anyway, to give an idea of what we discussed:
there was serious discussion about refusing to intubate anyone 65 or over (in China, 65 was a major inflection point -- if you were 65 or over, your mortality if placed on a vent is 80%. If even 64, the mortality was 1/6th as high if placed on a vent.
The AVERAGE time on a vent was 2 weeks for covid patients.
We are a Level 1 Trauma Ctr in a city with lots of GSW's and accidents, but we only have 60 vents. Once those 60 vents are taken, covid folks will be SOL. We had a long discussion about withholding vents for possible traumas -- still up in the air.
It is quite likely that we will not perform CPR on covid pt's who code, regardless of age.
In general, we try to keep pt's on the vent if they are clinically stable for an indefinite period of time. We discussed having a 72 hr threshold -- if it doesn't look like mom is improving in 72 hrs, and another pt needs the vent, we would withdraw care.
Mind you, these Draconian measures will likely be in play by the end of this week...

Enviado desde mi SM-G973U mediante Tapatalk

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Bama Chick said:

Y’all were wondering if there were going to be more Quarantine Babies or Quarantine Breakups earlier.

China might provide some insight.....

I just realized what all those screams were about on that eerie video of people screeching in the middle of the night in Wuhan.

• Haha 1

25 minutes ago, Gardner Barnes said:

Is that real? Wtf

As far as can be determined, it’s real. I witnessed that in an article several years ago. There were two camera angles, the other from the rear. The van just kept on driving down the road and a pedestrian basically walked right by with nothing more than a glance.

19 minutes ago, cmontexas said:

Jfc spoiler that shit

I sincerely apologize, I’ve become desensitized so I didn’t think about it and wouldn’t know how to spoiler it if I tried.

6 hours ago, The_Great_Hornsby said:

Im starting to come to the conclusion that we are living through the first modern biological warfare attack and it has all been orchestrated by China

I personally don't think it was released on purpose, although I am open to the proposition. 

But I also am very doubtful that it came from a market that coincidentally just happens to be in the same town as the only BSL-4 lab* in the entire country that specifically just happens to do research on coronaviruses from bats.

It's much more likely that it escaped from the lab in some way, whether a worker there didn't clean up properly, or someone inside the lab got sick and didn't know it and spread it at home, or an animal escaped, or whatever. 

But it seems like too big of a coincidence to me to have just happened at the market and have nothing to do with the lab at all. 

* From Wikipedia:

The Wuhan Institute of Virology (WIV; Chinese: 中国科学院武汉病毒研究所; pinyin: Zhōngguó Kēxuéyuàn Wǔhàn Bìngdú Yánjiūsuǒ) is a research institute on virologyadministered by the Chinese Academy of Sciences (CAS). Located in Jiangxia District, Wuhan, Hubei, it opened mainland China's first biosafety level 4 (BSL–4) laboratory in 2015.

snip

The laboratory took over a decade to complete from its conception in 2003, and scientists such as U.S. molecular biologist Richard H. Ebright expressed concern of previous escapes of the SARS virus at Chinese laboratories in Beijing, and the pace and scale of China's plans for expansion into BSL–4 laboratories.[3] The Laboratory has strong ties to the Galveston National Laboratory in the University of Texas.[5] In 2015, the lab published successful research on whether a bat coronavirus could be made to infect HeLa.[6][7] In 2020, Ebright called the Institute a "world-class research institution that does world-class research in virology and immunology".[5]

Biosafety level 4 (BSL-4) is the highest level of biosafety precautions, and is appropriate for work with agents that could easily be aerosol-transmitted within the laboratory and cause severe to fatal disease in humans for which there are no available vaccines or treatments.

• Like 3

25 minutes ago, Constant said:

Keyword there is confirmed. I have extended family talking about a "flu' spreading around North Dakota. Knowing her it's a strand of syphilis and she's patient zero, but you can't tell if they aren't testing. You don't want pics.

54 minutes ago, iodeac said:

This was posted by a doctor in New Orleans on a different message board I've frequented over the years. Absolutely terrifying. You all stay safe.

So, just to give some perspective.
Yesterday, I was in a 3 hr meeting at the hospital deciding on our principles of treatment once the trigger of a 'disaster' declaration is declared. I expect it will be this week.
Today, we have 18 Covid patients (btwm for you young folk out and about in bars, 2 of the folks on vents are healthy twentysomethings).
3 days ago, we had 2.
It is truly at the exponential phase. We'll be Italy in 7-10 days.
So anyway, to give an idea of what we discussed:
there was serious discussion about refusing to intubate anyone 65 or over (in China, 65 was a major inflection point -- if you were 65 or over, your mortality if placed on a vent is 80%. If even 64, the mortality was 1/6th as high if placed on a vent.
The AVERAGE time on a vent was 2 weeks for covid patients.
We are a Level 1 Trauma Ctr in a city with lots of GSW's and accidents, but we only have 60 vents. Once those 60 vents are taken, covid folks will be SOL. We had a long discussion about withholding vents for possible traumas -- still up in the air.
It is quite likely that we will not perform CPR on covid pt's who code, regardless of age.
In general, we try to keep pt's on the vent if they are clinically stable for an indefinite period of time. We discussed having a 72 hr threshold -- if it doesn't look like mom is improving in 72 hrs, and another pt needs the vent, we would withdraw care.
Mind you, these Draconian measures will likely be in play by the end of this week...

Enviado desde mi SM-G973U mediante Tapatalk

They cleared out Bourbon Street yesterday morning. Fuck. New Orleans is going to get ugly

Edited by B00M

8 minutes ago, RayDog said:

My ex-gf who I saw yesterday told me today that one if her customers has been sick for 6 days with fever and diarrhea. She probably is infected and possibly infected me.

The shits is not a symptom.

My company started “voluntary” work from home policy but a few people seem to think it will be mandatory early this week. My manager just got back from an out of state trip and was asked to not come back to the office for 2 weeks.

My current project is with a client whose headquarters are in Europe. So a lot of them are back and forth. But my company is like the UN with engineers and support staff from every corner of the world. I would have thought we would be in the first wave of mandatory work from home companies...but here we are.

1 minute ago, Patricio Swayze said:

My company started “voluntary” work from home policy but a few people seem to think it will be mandatory early this week. My manager just got back from an out of state trip and was asked to not come back to the office for 2 weeks.

My current project is with a client whose headquarters are in Europe. So a lot of them are back and forth. But my company is like the UN with engineers and support staff from every corner of the world. I would have thought we would be in the first wave of mandatory work from home companies...but here we are.

If you CAN work from home, then you should, and don't feel bad about it.

Even if the optics don't look good now, in another few days, you'll have cover from government agencies mandating it, anyway.

Question re: closings. So many of the things closed were not immediate, but announced to be closed 1-2 in the future. The travel ban with Europe is an example. Disneyworld too it seems.

Why? Doing it that way sets up the "last hurrah" scenario where people wanna party right to the end. When announcing closures why not say, "It's over NOW. Go home NOW."

1 minute ago, Parliament said:

Question re: closings. So many of the things closed were not immediate, but announced to be closed 1-2 in the future. The travel ban with Europe is an example. Disneyworld too it seems.

Why? Doing it that way sets up the "last hurrah" scenario where people wanna party right to the end. When announcing closures why not say, "It's over NOW. Go home NOW."

giphy.gif

• Like 2

Yikes US surgeon general just said that "there is potential for U.S. to become Italy", largely in part due to people not taking the pandemic seriously. It's fucking crazy how hard this was being downplayed just a couple weeks ago, compared to the seriousness they're giving it now

3 minutes ago, Parliament said:

I'd think they did it so people had time to get out.  Instead the fucking lemmings used it to use every last minute of their time there to become potential spreaders.

Local businesses near the Dell Round Rock campus are now feeling the effects of the campus shutdown/WFH policies put into place about a week ago.  This is one of the really unfortunate side effects of making such major changes in the way we work.

https://www.kvue.com/article/news/health/coronavirus/dell-employees-work-from-home-hurt-local-businesses/269-2e4b7190-d51f-4040-b40d-a3c1a4296ad9?fbclid=IwAR2yavpxXnYj8YGNQdtNyhvAw0t0vpbvTeFcvYYhfA2Y4khWnQfpIJuT06c

I was speaking with an old friend of mine who is a PhD in Biochem and runs a biology research company (like Qiagen, Takara, Invitrogen, etc.) in Duren, Germany. This is what he had to say:

These day are very strange here in Europe cause Corona does not allow us a normal life. I think you guys are not affected that much but here in Germany from today everything except supermarkets, pharmacies, post office and banks is closed.

We built multiple teams in order to have a back up just in case somebody will be infected.

Let me know if there is anything you want me to ask him.

Edited by Bevo

8 hours ago, The_Great_Hornsby said:

Im starting to come to the conclusion that we are living through the first modern biological warfare attack and it has all been orchestrated by China

well, then it is the shittiest biological warfare attack in history based on how much it has unequally impacted China and killed Chinese citizens...

and this is the case even using the reported numbers and not the number of infections/deaths most believe they have actually had.

• Like 2

I was speaking with an old friend of mine who runs a biology research company (like Qiagen, Takara, Invitrogen, etc.) in Duren, Germany. This is what he had to say:
These day are very strange here in Europe cause Corona does not allow us a normal life. I think you guys are not affected that much but here in Germany from today everything except supermarkets, pharmacies, post office and banks is closed.

We built multiple teams in order to have a back up just in case somebody will be infected.

NYC is basically shut down. They have shut schools, bars, restaurants, and all major museums. Retail is still open, but many of those are closing voluntarily. Most employers have gone work from home. For my office, we are work from home unless there is something you absolutely must go into the office for. In that case, take an Uber and charge it. We will cover the cost.
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, The_Great_Hornsby said:

This is a dumb hot take completely unsupported by evidence and you should feel bad. 

• Like 8

WTF did I just watch?
Is that real? Wtf
I sincerely apologize, I’ve become desensitized so I didn’t think about it and wouldn’t know how to spoiler it if I tried.
In China if you injure somebody and they become disabled you are financially responsible for their upkeep for the rest of their lives. So what happens a lot of times is if somebody injures somebody on the road they will just go ahead and kill that person as the financial penalty for killing somebody is a lot less than paying somebody on a monthly basis for the rest of their natural life

2 minutes ago, NoName said:

well, then it is the shittiest biological warfare attack in history based on how much it has unequally impacted China and killed Chinese citizens...

and this is the case even using the reported numbers and not the number of infections/deaths most believe they have actually had.

Conspiracy theorists will say that the Chinese either don't care about their own population, or that they intentionally tested it on their own, to be sure it worked first.  That's all pretty silly of course.

If it really is a biological weapon that has been intentionally released, then more likely it would be the act of a terror organization, than a world government.  But that seems unlikely to me as well.  

We have viruses rage out of control all the time on this planet.  It will continue to happen long after this particular threat is managed.

I got a ticket on my motorcycle a couple of weeks ago, going through the Texas paradise of Quinlan.  My court time is this morning at 10am.  I'm guessing Quinlan isn't shutting shit down, so I get to go hang our w/ a bunch of meth-heads in court this morning...I'm sure the courtroom will be gleaming and clean. 

5 minutes ago, gsoda3 said:

In China if you injure somebody and they become disabled you are financially responsible for their upkeep for the rest of their lives. So what happens a lot of times is if somebody injures somebody on the road they will just go ahead and kill that person as the financial penalty for killing somebody is a lot less than paying somebody on a monthly basis for the rest of their natural life

Is murder a thing there?

16 minutes ago, NoName said:

i actually think it's a ploy by Big Soap to sell more product

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Bevo said:

IThese day are very strange here in Europe cause Corona does not allow us a normal life. I

It appears we are on a similar trajectory and the fissures that have begun in relationships are widening. Got a call from an old friend (*we used to be real close); stuck at home and is a proponent of the social distancing but the rest of the family is not on board. They've been fighting and after a drink (or two, I didn't ask), I spent a few hours consoling and being a listener. I do not like being pullled into the middle of a marriage so some tactical redirection was necessary but that phone call certainly revealed that after several weeks of this, some folks are going to need some mental telehealth. Work is intertwined in our lives not only because it puts food on the table and a roof over our heads and keeps society running.

Many of the major stressors are there: fear, money, work loss, close quarters with family (that we may have taken for granted.) and children who have watched their schools and activities be halted for something that has yet to reach its maximum infection. Keeping one's spirits high will require maximum effort. I do like that Italian citizens have been encouraging each other as much as possible and hope that Americans will do that too.

*little Billy Joel shoutout for folks.

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, NoName said:

I'm not saying it's a biological attack, but do you think China gives a shit about it's people? It a communist country.  They aren't worried about killing off constituents.

Stopped by Albertsons on the way home from work in search of some toilet paper. Still completely empty shelves. I picked up a couple of packages of ‘dude wipes’ in case of emergency. 

I was in uniform still and I think the register lady felt obligated to give me a TP update and apparently a big shipment is coming tomorrow. My house of four females will appreciate that. 

Edited by Constant

11 hours ago, Larry T. Spider said:

Texas Education Commissioner Mike Morath told school superintendents and lawmakers Sunday to be prepared for long-term school district closures, potentially through the end of the school year, especially in areas where the new coronavirus has spread.

CDC's guidance/recommendation, yesterday, of no groups of more than 50 people pretty well guarantees the in class school year is over. 

Edited by ShaggyBevo RIP

• hayden_horn changed the title to Formerly DT: COVID-19 - Featuring Lots of Politics, now CR because political talk not going away