CR: COVID-19 --Political Talk

Mrs Whiggins

Usually we have sky is falling posters but most people seem very measured in their response.  I can’t tell if that means it will be way worst or we just all accepted that we are fucked 

Edited by LABEVO

Just now, Brisketexan said:

Fuck.

Tell us what you know.

I think I said at least two days ago there's 10's of thousands of positive cases.  I know because we have been seeing RSV way over-diagnosed.  Now those people end up in nursing homes etc with 'droplet precautions' which are complete horseshit compared to the precautions you need with COVID.  Combine that with the fact healthy people can carry it all over without really even knowing it (see Gobert, Rudy) and we probably have a few hundred thousand cases by now.  

Now, the cherry on top, is the most watched television channel in prime time is fully in the tank trying to minimize what's going on.  This my friends, is the perfect storm.  Financially, it will be worse than 2008.  Death toll wise it will be a typical flu season x 2...that's a guess but puts it into perspective how bad I think it will be.  Also the flu is a known entity...vaccines, tamiflu, seasonal etc...this MF doesn't seem to be following any of the rules that we assign to the typical flu.  Will it be seasonal?  Hopefully but then will we deal with it every season?  That's certainly a possibility.  Does all of America end up like Italy?  If so, you're talking something like a modern plague hitting us.  This is that scary.  The potential is absolutely there...especially since we are not going to control it properly with an absolute clown leading us through the mess. 

• Like 4

3 hours ago, LongestHorn said:

Look, you can talk all you want about how this is overblown... But it just took down Forrest Gump. Captain Miller, Jim Lovell, Mr. Rogers, Pep Streebek, Jimmy Dugan, Walt Disney, Sheriff Woody, and Captain Sullenberger.

(To be fair, Andrew Beckett wasn't in the best health)

• Haha 3

I wonder if trump will try to get the 2020 election postponed.

i know it’s unheard of, but the guy has always looked up to dictators and wishes he could rule America indefinitely. Most republicans don’t give a fuck about the integrity of our voting and election systems anymore as it is anyway.

Edited by Voldemort86

1 hour ago, LABEVO said:

Usually we have sky is falling posters but most people seem very measured in their response.  I can’t tell if that means it will be way worst or we just all accepted that we are fucked 

Gallows Humor. 

The situation in Milan makes me worry. The paucity of testing makes me worry about the data and what we face. Milan is either the canary in the coal mine or an outlier.

img_9913.png&f=1&nofb=1

3 hours ago, ChiTownDoc said:

Hannity 

he's the secretary of misinformation 

im going to listen to his opener tomorrow (it's pure comedy most days), he'll be claiming trump gave the greatest speech of any president during a time of emergency. the fastest response by any president to any emergency !!!! 

Edited by tx 3 putt

2 hours ago, Voldemort86 said:

I wonder if trump will try to get the 2020 election postponed.

state of emergency - millions and millions illegals ready to vote in the 2020 election (barr and his supreme court are ready to back him) or corona virus will make it unsafe for masses to line up and vote, science proves this !

take your pick. barr has already proven he's ready to lie and cheat if it serves trump's best interest. 

Edited by tx 3 putt

30 minutes ago, tx 3 putt said:

state of emergency - millions and millions illegals ready to vote in the 2020 election (barr and his supreme court are ready to back him) or corona virus will make it unsafe for masses to line up and vote, science proves this !

take your pick. barr has already proven he's ready to lie and cheat if it serves trump's best interest. 

If it happens...... those people deserve to go to hell.

those hypocritical fuckwads wouldn’t let Obama delay the election if he was president and it was coming up.

dealing with an unexpected crisis is part of the job description. Trump just comes across as a whiny, unprepared, little bitch.

his strategy to downplay the virus while giving it more time to spread in our communities unabated should blow up in his arrogant orange face. 

Edited by Voldemort86

In today's video from Peak Prosperity they pointed out that if you  go from when a country had its 100th case, the US is about 10 days behind Italy.

Given that the US is bigger it has to double between 2 and 3 more times, so the entire country will be where Italy is now in about 17-19 days.

In the Philippines there are 49 cases as of yesterday and the first death of a Filipina infected locally. But her infected husband was at a meeting of the Senate, and many politicians are in Quarantine. There is a run on goods in Manila and people fleeing before the lock down. I estimate it will take about 5 weeks for there to be around 10 million infected in Metro Manila, almost half of the people who live there. Angeles won't be far behind.

It turns out the 86 year old American here is still in critical condition and his 82 year old Filipina wife has been intubated. I guess given their ages that they met during the Vietnam war or possibly even earlier. They are in Manila.

The only cases near me are two quarantined crew members from the Diamond Princess in New Clark City in Tarlac. One of my girlfriends lives in Tarlac.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Voldemort86 said:

If it happens...... those people deserve to go to hell.

those hypocritical fuckwads wouldn’t let Obama delay the election if he was president and it was coming up.

dealing with an unexpected crisis is part of the job description. Trump just comes across as a whiny, unprepared, little bitch.

his strategy to downplay the virus while giving it more time to spread in our communities unabated should blow up in his arrogant orange face. 

If they postpone the election, the people should burn this mofo to the ground.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, ChiTownDoc said:

Haha, Hannity still talking about how the flu is worse.  I can't stop laughing.  He's literally going completely off the rails defending Trump.  This is mind boggling.  People watch this shit all day?  That's scarier than the virus itself.  

Watching Squawk Box right now and one of them started with this line and got completely laughed at by everyone else on the set.  Wish I had a video but I laughed.  

Never fear, Rush tells us all not to panic:

https://talkingpointsmemo.com/news/limbaugh-coronavirus-common-cold

Rush Limbaugh downplayed the severity of the coronavirus outbreak during his radio show Wednesday afternoon, even as the World Health Organization declared the virus a pandemic.

After Limbaugh warned listeners of the “many red flags about things happening out there,” the recent Medal of Freedom recipient said that the panic surrounding growing fears of the coronavirus outbreak is “just not warranted.”

Limbaugh then launched into a rant comparing the coronavirus to the common cold, which he said he concluded “based on the number of cases” and “the kind of virus this is.”

“Why do you think this is ‘COVID-19’? This is the 19th coronavirus,” Limbaugh said. “They’re not uncommon. Coronaviruses are respiratory cold and flu viruses.” In fact, the 19 refers to the year 2019, when it was discovered.

Limbaugh went on to blame the media for the panic.

“There is nothing about this, except where it came from, and the itinerant media panic that — you can’t blame people reacting the way they’re reacting, if they pay any, even scant attention to the media,” Limbaugh said. “If you read just two or three media headlines a day — pick one, pick two, pick three at random — you’re going to think that if you leave your home you’ve got a good chance of dying — and you don’t.”

Limbaugh added that what he finds “really more scary than anything” is how some Americans “seem to be OK” with giving into the panic.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Bateshorn said:

It sounds like Congress is coalescing around a veto proof plan pretty quickly so they can pack the fuck up and get out of dodge,  assuming they can get McConnell on board. 

But olds are supposed to self quarantine.  How is Congress supposed to travel?

Rush Limbaugh has advanced lung cancer which has a very low survival rate so wtf does he care; dude is going to keep on cryin and lyin til his end.

If Trump fires Dr. Fauci from the Task Force, I want a petition to hire @RayDog as the spokesperson. He can release info remotely so it would work. He is calm, informative and matter of fact which I find rather helpful. I hope Dr. Fauci doesn't get fired or quit, but if he does, there is your go to.

Today Trump will meet with Ireland's PM. In addition to protecting one's hotel properties, announcing a travel ban last night on the UK while one of their leaders is camped out nearby would have been interesting. I wonder if they will be discussing Scotland's investigation into Trump and whether Ireland is planning to follow suit. I guess not.

Other than intel and virus briefings, that's it. Congress has a recess coming up I believe so they will be looking to scram as soon as the various virus debates get sorted.

8 minutes ago, Pig Bellmont said:

How in the fuck does this happen in scripted remarks? Stephen Miller and Jared Kushner must be the dumbest people on the planet. 

Remember, Stephen Miller is the one who complained in high school about "having to pick up trash when we have custodians for that." Jared has never had to pick up anything in his life. These are two boys who have not grown mentally (and as far as I can tell from photos, physically) from that stage. So naturally they don't bother with fine details and planning and thoughtful consideration to consequences. They are not just lazy intellectuals, they are lazy intellectuals who think they are smarter and better genetically than everybody else and they have power.

Edited by Mrs Whiggins
edit
  • Like 1

To my knowledge, trumps address wasn’t released as a transcript simultaneously or even afterwards. They must know that he can’t competently follow a teleprompter so they wait for him to talk and release clarifying remarks.

if you have to wonder if some of his blunders become policy at times just not to embarrass him with corrections.

10 hours ago, The Ace of Aces said:

Exempting the UK is key. They have more cases than any other EU country not named Italy. 

Per this tracker, UK has 460 confirmed cases (6.8 cases per million population). 

Norway: 692 (128 case per million)

Denmark: 615 (106)

Spain: 2964 (63.4)

France: 2281 (34.9)

Germany: 2120 (25.3)

That being said, much of that is due to better testing.  So, deaths and critical cases are probably better indicator.  On that front: 

UK: 8 deaths, 0 serious/critical

Norway: 0 deaths/0 serious critical

Denmark: 0 deaths/2 serious critical

Spain: 84 deaths/126 serious/critical

France: 48 deaths/105 serious/critical

Germany: 4 deaths/9 serious/critical

So, France and Spain are still in really bad shape. 

Edited by Tuco

On CSpan last night the COVID meeting was on. I didn't catch all of it and don't have time today to watch a tape but Europe was discussed with respect to the spread. As the US agencies receive updates, they are making those travel alerts and related decisions and although the congressperson didn't ask the question in the part I saw, it seems pretty obvious that where goes Italy, other nations to a greater or lesser degree are going to follow if they don't have their ish in order.

RayDog said we're perhaps 17-19 days behind Italy right now so that's the end of March. Easter is April 12 this year.

Like @ChiTownDocsaid, "BUCKLE UP"

• immamac changed the title to CR: COVID-19 --Political Talk