Raiders WR Henry Ruggs charged with DUI resulting in death after drunken crash kills someone

shadow_operative

5 minutes ago, tx 3 putt said:

im pretty sure all nfl teams have a 'mr wolf', and all players are given that number for situations just like this. 

'im too drunk to drive, call mr wolf' 

Shouldn't he have someone like that in his posse?  Did he completely ignore Cris Carter?

2 hours ago, MrBig said:

Donte Stallworth and Josh Brent both played in the NFL after their DUI vehicular manslaughter incidents. So it’s not the NFL’s first rodeo.

At this point, the optics look worse for Ruggs IMO.

Victim in Stallworth's case was sprinting across the street absent any crosswalk.  

Brent's passenger was also drunk and not wearing a seat belt. 

Neither poor decision making excuses Stallworth or Brent, but we have no reports that the victim in Ruggs case was doing anything wrong or dangerous.

• Hook 'Em 1

6 minutes ago, BigOrange1 said:

you can't logically figure out why some people might be wary of their employer knowing exactly when and how often they get shitfaced?

Ruggs certainly chose the high road...

when I was younger I did drive drunk some, but I stopped drinking for 9 months when I was 18 (drinking age was already 21 by then) then started again Halloween and then quit until I was 36 after Round Up my freshman year when I figured out that (not yet) fat, drunk, and stupid was no way to stay enrolled at UT

I did drive with a few drunks after that, but I did a shit load more designated driving including a few times when the cops gave us a pretty nice break for other shit because I was driving sober and all my friends were fucked up beyond belief

back then even in major Texas cities traffic was not total shit especially at night so driving and being able to go where I wanted (while ignoring drunks screaming "go here go there") and getting what I wanted to eat was a bonus to be able to drive

these days who in the fuck wants to drive in big city traffic drunk or sober and no matter what car you have shit I would have someone drive me around in big city traffic all day every day if I could...so being well off, drunk, and in a crowded traffic filled place like Vegas I would be calling for a car as often as possible especially if they had to drive my drunk ass where I wanted to go whenever I wanted

I would take the fast car out to BFE on Tuesday afternoon or some shit like that to open it up and actually drive the damn thing not sit in fucking traffic waiting to get hit by some other drunk, broke dick, with no insurance

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Captain Obvious said:

Victim in Stallworth's case was sprinting across the street absent any crosswalk.  

Neither poor decision making excuses Stallworth or Brent, but we have no reports that the victim in Ruggs case was doing anything wrong or dangerous.

I'm pretty sure the person Stallworth hit was walking on an overpass, right?

15 hours ago, Captain Obvious said:

going from memory, but I don't think Brent's passenger was drunk or even drank that night, which made it almost more strange that he would not insist on driving.  Also, the victim's family was supportive of Josh and I don't think they wanted to see any jail time for him.  I doubt that is the case with the current crash.

edit. found a link https://www.latintimes.com/jerry-brown-jr-drunk-driving-accident-autopsy-reveals-dallas-cowboy-was-sober-when-he-died-125218  

Edited by gyroprotagonist

Did duane Goodrich kill anyone when he crashed on 35 after leaving silver city cabaret drunk?
erik Williams was a 1 car accident right? Only hurt himself?  

Yeah Goodrich killed two people, one of the guys was someone I went to high school with , super nice guy. Was actually helping someone change a flat tire when it happened

39 minutes ago, Quagmire said:

Yeah Goodrich killed two people, one of the guys was someone I went to high school with , super nice guy. Was actually helping someone change a flat tire when it happened

they were actually pulling a guy out of a flaming car after that guy (also plastered drunk) crashed when he clipped the back of a semi trailer

that was part of the goodrich defense that the flames and chaos from the first wreck got in the way of him knowing where to drive

13 hours ago, BigOrange1 said:

you can't logically figure out why some people might be wary of their employer knowing exactly when and how often they get shitfaced?

I'm pretty sure it's not a surprise to any team that most of their young, single, multi-millionaire players party their ass off Sunday and Monday nights.   They just don't want them driving.  Hence why ever NFL team has a car service to avoid exactly what happened.  I take your point if this was 4AM Sat AM before a Noon Sunday game but they know these guys let loose early in the week.