Urban Meyer or bust

BurntOrange&White

10 minutes ago, DanTheHorn said:

Didn't ESPN or Big Noon show that this year the conference with the least yards allowed per game is the BIG12? Other conferences did not play offense and now that they are playing our style of offense their defenses are learning.

Not sure

Other conferences did play offense this whole time, maybe it didn't look as flashy as big 12 offenses, but that is partially because it was also about ball control and TOP. The big 12 was just about scoring, partially because every game is a shootout, and partially because the defenses are so bad you can just get down the field with ease and score.

I don't think the consensus was ever that the offenses were horrible in the ACC, Big 10, and SEC. It was always that those leagues where somewhat balanced. There has never been balance in the big12, it's got it's own brand of football. High-scoring, hurry up spread offenses, and shitty defense. 

I guess the question is are the big 12 offenses just that good or are the defenses really really bad? I think it's a bit of both, but having that lack of balance hurts the big two programs in the league.

• Fuck You 4

23 minutes ago, Zeus said:

No on the OL thing

But why do you think big 12 teams don't play defense? 

There are a lot of reasons, though defense is closing the gaps on offense in the Big 12 now.

There are plenty of reasons for the past it had, though, one being how the spread caught on in Texas back in the early '00s. Texas being the biggest Big 12 recruiting grounds, it wasn't a surprise we saw the decline in defense. TXHSFB players were being coached by staffs who were focused more heavily on outscoring teams rather than stopping them completely. That translated straight to the talent.

But it's all catching up, all evening out when it comes to those styles of offenses being played more in the SEC territories etc..., which is why NFL is being forced to adopt it. Defensive players are changing, etc... But the bottom line is, The state of Texas is getting pillaged period, whether defense or offense. And the top talent is going to places where they play the g$me, and those places aren't in the Big 12.

Edited by UncleBuck
  • Hook 'Em 1

12 minutes ago, Zeus said:

The ACC was dead garbage 8 years ago... except the ACC team that won the national championship in 2013, then sent a team to the CFP the next year.

You forgetting crab legs?

The ACC isn't notorious for a playing style that doesn't include defense. The big 12 is, and blowU usually goes and shows that off every year in the CFP. Then everyone reaffirms their point that the big 12 doesn't play any defense, and defensive recruits go find somewhere else to exhibit their talents.

The Big 12 can't play defense like the SEC, the ACC, or the Big 10. Look at the players each league is sending to the NFL or the eye test on those DL, it's a different ball game.

Are you talking about Bama, and sometimes Georgia/LSU or the entirety of the SEC? Cuz plenty of the programs have DLs that fucking suck

22 minutes ago, C-Man said:

Herman was the hot, up-and-comer and we had to strike fast to keep him from going to LSU. We did what had to be done. Who else was feasible or likely then?

Did some googling, as I can't recall the names we were seriously floating, and found a few articles with top candidates to replace Strong when it became apparent he was not going to work. Slim pickings:

Athlon Sports:

-Tom Herman

-Larry Fedora

-Bryan Harsin

-Mike Macintyre 

-Phillip Montgomery (who?)

Fansided:

1) Tom Herman

2) Lane Kiffin

3) Les Miles

4) Bryan Harsin

5) Lincoln Riley

Sporting News:

1) Herman

2) Les Miles

3) Lane Kiffin

4) Chip Kelly

5) Gene Hizik (lol wut)

6) Bryan Harsin

7) PJ Fleck

DMN ( candidates NOT named Tom Herman who could replace Strong)

1) Dabo

2)Fedora

3) Harsin

4) Miles

5) Jimbo Fisher

6) Saban

Hookem.com:

10) Pat Fitzgerald

9) Jimbo

8 Harsin

7) Sonny Dykes

6) Les Miles

5) Mark Dantonio

4) Tom Herman

3) Rich Rodriguez

2) Dan Mullen

1) David Shaw

Edited by Foosters
  • Hook 'Em 1

2 minutes ago, UncleBuck said:

There are a lot of reasons, though defense is closing the gaps on offense in the Big 12 now.

There are plenty of reasons for the past it had, though, one being how the spread caught on in Texas back in the early '00s. Texas being the biggest Big 12 recruiting grounds, it wasn't a surprise we saw the decline in defense. TXHSFB players were being coached by staffs who were focused more heavily on outscoring the defenses, than stopping them. That translated straight to the talent.

But it's all catching up, all evening out when it comes to those styles of offenses being played more in the SEC territories etc..., which is why NFL is being forced to adopt it. Defensive players are changing, etc... But the bottom line is, The state of Texas is getting pillaged period, whether defense or offense. And the top talent is going to places where they play the g$me, and those places aren't in the Big 12.

I have been working this morning so haven't read a bunch of this thread and this may have already been posted but the main reason offenses tend to be so good in the Big 12 is because there are no holding calls.  With no holding calls on the OL the QB's can pick apart the defenses.  You see the same thing in the NFL.  The Patriots-Eagles Super Bowl a few years ago had like zero holding calls even though both teams were holding.  This lead to both teams scoring at will.  Don't allow OU to hold every play and see how great their QB's look going forward.  

• Hook 'Em 1

49 minutes ago, Valmy77 said:

So do his players hate him or love him? I keep getting mixed signals from the rumor mill.

Maybe the love to hate him or it is one of those love-hate relationships.

Look at the actions of our senior leaders and captains. That’s a pretty good indicator of what the players think of him. 

• Hook 'Em 4

30 minutes ago, hayden_horn said:

and i understand your point. my problem is that we have competing interests in our boosters and many apparent rivalries. they aren't all pulling in for the big win. they are all pulling for the big win to their individual egos. that's how we got tom herman. that's how tom herman got an extension, the whirlwind of which we are currently reaping. 

the bottom line is that we pay too much because we want to be the joneses. that's a great sentiment and all, but we need to be the destination program, not the retirement program. you win something, sure, we'll pay you, but we have paid way too much for way too little for way too long.

I'm hoping that Eltife's involvement is to act at least partially as the big money representative at the table.  That's probably the most unification we are going to get.    

3 minutes ago, Beantown Express 2.0 said:

I have been working this morning so haven't read a bunch of this thread and this may have already been posted but the main reason offenses tend to be so good in the Big 12 is because there are no holding calls.

*Unless Texas is playing OSU or TCU

• Hook 'Em 1

8 minutes ago, DefinitelyNotHollywoodColt said:

eh, @closetojumping is about as bearish as one could be on TH as a human being but even he concedes by all accounts he is well-liked by his players.

Liking someone on a personal level and working with them can be two different things. Or we would all be working with our wives 🙂

My last director was good people, personally. We had a better outside friendship than a working relationship. He took too many risks and was kind of clueless about his job. When he was fired, I felt for him as a friend. As a co-worker I was happy.

1 minute ago, TommyGufano said:

Are you talking about Bama, and sometimes Georgia/LSU or the entirety of the SEC? Cuz plenty of the programs have DLs that fucking suck

Of course those 3 have pretty stacked DLs

Florida

Auburn

Then even Mississippi State had 3 DL drafted last year, including two first rounders. 

The big 12 had like 3 or 4 DL drafted last year total.

6 minutes ago, Beantown Express 2.0 said:

I have been working this morning so haven't read a bunch of this thread and this may have already been posted but the main reason offenses tend to be so good in the Big 12 is because there are no holding calls.  With no holding calls on the OL the QB's can pick apart the defenses.  You see the same thing in the NFL.  The Patriots-Eagles Super Bowl a few years ago had like zero holding calls even though both teams were holding.  This lead to both teams scoring at will.  Don't allow OU to hold every play and see how great their QB's look going forward.  

yup

Which is why other teams also play more pro style power football, because their QBs would get smashed passing every single play like all the big12 teams do.

1 minute ago, Zeus said:

Of course those 3 have pretty stacked DLs

Florida

Auburn

Then even Mississippi State had 3 DL drafted last year, including two first rounders. 

The big 12 had like 3 or 4 DL drafted last year total.

MSU had DL drafted 2 years ago. One of whom beat the shit out of a girl while in HS. A shame he wasn't considering teams in our conference because it lacked prestige.

Last year the Big 12 had more off ball LBs drafted in the 1st rd than any other conference. I guess that makes us the home of LB play. No?

11 minutes ago, C-Man said:

Things are better than when Herman took over but there are also glaring blind spots and other deficiencies in Herman’s skill set. Plus, he’s an asshole that nobody seems to like.   By most accounts, the Big Cigars are fully aligned in wanting Herman gone. They also seem fully aligned on the idea of Urban at Texas. I hope that’s still in play. If he has already — or will — turn us down, things get a lot trickier.

Agree that the program is better now than it was when Mensa took over 4 years ago.  But it's evident that the current trend for the team is negative if Herman remains as Head Coach.

• Huge recruiting mistakes with the 2021 Recruiting Class
  • The loss of a Top 2022 QB recruit Quinn Ewers
  • Falling further behind for the 2022 Recruiting Class
  • Losing winnable games at Home vs both tcu & iowa state with a better roster than both teams and Ehlinger at QB

Four years has been enough time -- Time to replace Mensa!!! 🤘

• Hook 'Em 2

1 minute ago, TommyGufano said:

MSU had DL drafted 2 years ago. One of whom beat the shit out of a girl while in HS. A shame he wasn't considering teams in our conference because it lacked prestige.

Last year the Big 12 had more off ball LBs drafted in the 1st rd than any other conference. I guess that makes us the home of LB play. No?

You are right

Maybe so with the LBs, makes sense because the hurry up offenses in the big12 don't allow for big giant DEs to do as well as fast LBs that can cover

Something that is becoming more valuable in the NFL, versatility at the LB spot.

6 minutes ago, Texasrocks said:

There can't be to many BMDs who write million dollar checks to buy out a coach and have a deer lease so...

Yea I can’t imagine a true checking writing BMD or their close buddies hanging out at a deer lease. I would imagine they own the fucking ranch but of course I could be wrong. 

3 minutes ago, closetohumping said:

Day crew, I'm not sure how to say this, but we suck right now.  

Ok I’ll change that. Hey guys I just got a block chain letter or maybe it was a pen pal letter can’t remmber but anyways my sister’s friend BIL just told me at band camp that Urban is a possible reality. Now give me rep. 

I was bangin' the porta potty girl, and she told me that she was at the 7-11 on Guadalupe and it was temporarily closed so she went over to Papa John's and Papa John happened to be there. John Schnatter "Papa John" said that he saw Jeff Hildebrand in Louisville and Jeff was looking for Bobby Petrino. John told him that Bobby was now at Missouri State, but if Texas wanted an up and comer that Jeff should go to Lexington and talk to Mark Stoops. He "John" said that flight aware then had Jeff flying on to Lexington.

• Haha 1

5 minutes ago, Errestaurants said:

Yea I can’t imagine a true checking writing BMD or their close buddies hanging out at a deer lease. I would imagine they own the fucking ranch but of course I could be wrong. 

You'd be surprised. I work with a lot of "absentee landowners"---read big money deep pocketed people who live in metro areas but own large expanses of ranch/farm land as either a tax writeoff/shelter or beause it's Texas and that's what we do here.

Plenty of them have their ranch managers manage specifically for cattle or crop production without a care for wildlife production.  It makes more sense for them to pay some fancy guided hunting operation to line them up on a $10-$15,000 buck and be done with it then to try and manage and hunt on their own land.

I do have one gentleman I work with that owns a large spread that is managed for wildlife...he owns the place and still calls it the hunting lease.....

3 minutes ago, Errestaurants said:

Ok I’ll change that. Hey guys I just got a block chain letter or maybe it was a pen pal letter can’t remmber but anyways my sister’s friend BIL just told me at band camp that Urban is a possible reality. Now give me rep. 

I got an email from the Prince of Nigeria.  He and Urban are real close and he can push him our direction, but he needs $200 because his wealth is tied up. 

Taking a lunch. 

So to recap (I take no responsibility for how anyone interprets any of this) the morning shift:

Mickey Mouse cosplay why? (ESPN/LHN/Disney), airport picture taken of someone wearing burnt orange not Shelley Meyer, what exactly is CDC’s role—lots of comments, what was his role at TCU (did he even hire Patterson in 2010?), posters in drive thru’s buying McRibs, night shift getting even more annoyed with day shift, conference realignment talk (refuses to die) and why defenses suck in college—-most people willing to believe anything that suggests or can be interpreted as UM is still in play and will be hired (I am one of those people—FU Fight me!) I will take anything that also gives me hope and gets me thru the next few weeks. 

In short, 5/6 captains probably don’t care for TH and the potential of the Cheezit Bowl. Nothing we do in said bowl will eclipse what TCU v Cal did Ever. Game was a legend. It is not lost on me the two teams in that game as it relates on comments on this thread.  Here is a fantastic write up on the TCU v Cal game (if this doesn’t make you lol you have no soul):

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.sbnation.com/platform/amp/college-football/2018/12/27/18157269/cal-tcu-cheez-it-bowl-2018

No one has been named to replace TH as HC. You can “wire” me your 9.95. Ha! 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Haha 1

20 minutes ago, Errestaurants said:

My Uncle would be someone that could be considered a BMD, but not to Texas. He has a deer lease in Pecos, but the lease is about 20,000 acres. 

6 minutes ago, MonkeyDoughnut said:

Car of the year... waiting list to get one even now. Appears Urban still a good evaluator

Seriously? I am intrigued by the look but hadn't done any real research. Or heard anything.

We talked about getting rid of the Rav and getting that or the Hyundai look a like.

• immamac changed the title to Urban Meyer or bust
  • immamac locked this topic
  • immamac unlocked this topic