CR: COVID-19 --Political Talk

Mrs Whiggins

I'm trying to figure out if Abbott, Desantis, and all of the anti-vaccine/anti-masker talk show and YouTube folks are getting paid per positive test, per hospitalization, or per death?  Do they get bonuses for children under 16?  Double bonuses for occupied ICU beds?

I live in Trauma Service Area N, which covers eight counties, including Brazos county.  There has not been an open ICU bed in the area for 17 days.  There are over 130 hospitalized with Covid.  Abbott must be making a killing.

• Rage+1 2

8 minutes ago, Scheiss Meister said:

I'm trying to figure out if Abbott, Desantis, and all of the anti-vaccine/anti-masker talk show and YouTube folks are getting paid per positive test, per hospitalization, or per death?  Do they get bonuses for children under 16?  Double bonuses for occupied ICU beds?

I live in Trauma Service Area N, which covers eight counties, including Brazos county.  There has not been an open ICU bed in the area for 17 days.  There are over 130 hospitalized with Covid.  Abbott must be making a killing.

He must be, Desantis is making a killing.

1 hour ago, washparkhorn said:

Nature has a way . . . 

I hate to nitpick (okay, that’s a lie), but while the greatest hits album is great, I’m not sure why you went with that instead of promoting their greatest album.

You have the world at your fingertips. No one can make it better than you. 

4 hours ago, HenryJames said:

Oh, man ... that's going to hit Berenson where it really hurts.  He had poured tens of thousands of hours of work into his Twitter account.  I know, because I have only 68 thousand followers and I've put a ton of effort into my account. And all gone in a moment. He can go to one of the right wing social medial platforms  but 1) It's going to take him years to gear up again 2) Other than the Covid vaccination thing, he's not a right-wing kind of guy. He's going to be on a platform where he hates those he's surrounded by and that would suck 3) Nobody of importance is on those platforms is on them other than as an very distant adjunct to their main social-media activity.  

• Hook 'Em 4

Well, HPISD had their hearing and a bunch of folks got up and spoke — most are viciously anti-maxSK — and then the district decided to make no changes and hid behind the “law” as put forth by Abbott. Disgusting display.
I get it. They had a choice of who to piss off. They chose to piss off the larger group, but it's also the group that doesn't storm admin buildings.

2 hours ago, WhatTheBuck said:

I hate to nitpick (okay, that’s a lie), but while the greatest hits album is great, I’m not sure why you went with that instead of promoting their greatest album.

You have the world at your fingertips. No one can make it better than you. 

The message was delivered with the album cover I chose. The cover I selected to choose represents the music more effectively given the context. The Sid and Marty Krofft on Acid cover you prefer certainly has its merits, and its place in certain contexts. Not this one. The spice must flow.

On sober reflection, you will agree. 

Edited by washparkhorn
And granted, reality is more like Sid and Marty Krofft, but we must keep up appearances.
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, JimmyJames said:

Similar to basic math, history and English, basic critical thinking and philosophy should start to be taught in the 4th grade in its own class. 6th grade at the latest. While in the past that would have been optimal, if not necessary, the net has made that both necessary and mandatory. 

Not to be flippant but there really is a large subset of people who don’t have the cognitive ability to think critically. We understand intuitively at the extreme ends that these differences exist— most of us can’t be instructed into having the ability to do Fields Medal quality math. Those differences are the important if less immediately visible, in the middle of the curve as well.

Evidence: Look at how many of these people are convinced that they ARE the ones thinking critically and who are performing a sad parody of critical thinking and research. 

A collapse of faith in authority is exacerbated by and reinforces a bewildering information environment. A lot of people who are capable of fully engaging in independent life do not have the raw processing power to navigate those shoals. 

In the past, there were serious barriers to producing and disseminating information at scale. That dissuaded pure conmen (who after all are looking to avoid working hard) and was virtually impossible to build functioning networks between the inept and incapable. That left mass communications to the intelligent and responsible (Cronkite) and to the intelligent and truly evil (Hitler; Stalin) and mere mercenaries (Hearst). 

Edited by 956 Worldwide
  • Hook 'Em 8

2 hours ago, 956 Worldwide said:

Not to be flippant but there really is a large subset of people who don’t have the cognitive ability to think critically. We understand intuitively at the extreme ends that these differences exist— most of us can’t be instructed into having the ability to do Fields Medal quality math. Those differences are the important if less immediately visible, in the middle of the curve as well.

Evidence: Look at how many of these people are convinced that they ARE the ones thinking critically and who are performing a sad parody of critical thinking and research. 

A collapse of faith in authority is exacerbated by and reinforces a bewildering information environment. A lot of people who are capable of fully engaging in independent life do not have the raw processing power to navigate those shoals. 

In the past, there were serious barriers to producing and disseminating information at scale. That dissuaded pure conmen (who after all are looking to avoid working hard) and was virtually impossible to build functioning networks between the inept and incapable. That left mass communications to the intelligent and responsible (Cronkite) and to the intelligent and truly evil (Hitler; Stalin) and mere mercenaries (Hearst). 

All of this. I’ll add that the technological warp speed advancement from the late 90’s to now has also changed the game. We went from a model where you could monetize the AP wire by printing facts that everyone could more or less trust (your business model was information because collated information was hard to do and it was scarce), to now a model where you need clicks and views, so the pure play news is all but gone. Everybody has an angle or hook or agenda to differentiate in the attention based economy. This has eroded the stalwarts of trust in the news and public intellectualism. It’s a perversion on all fronts, really.

Edited by DonkeyCigars
  • Hook 'Em 1

2 minutes ago, DonkeyCigars said:

All of this. I’ll add that the technological warp speed advancement from the late 90’s to now has also changed the game. We went from a model where you could monetize the AP wire by printing facts that everyone could more or less trust (your business model was information because collated information was hard to do and it was scarce), to now a model where you need clicks and views, so the pure play news is all but gone. Everybody has an angle or hook or agenda to differentiate in the attention based economy. It’s a perversion on all fronts, really.

Killing the fairness doctrine is a significant contributor to the mainstream news radicalization we see today. Technology certainly speeds things up, but national news networks outright telling lies and participating in trump's big lie gives oxygen to the online grifters

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 3