CR: COVID-19 --Political Talk

Mrs Whiggins

48 minutes ago, OneOfTheOutOfFocusGuys said:

This biggest thing I’m learning through all this is how big the minor leagues are in conservative right wing radio.  I always thought it was Rush and two or three Bongino types.  I didn’t realize every little town has their own Goebbels until they all starting dying. 

All trying desperately to do everything they can to get noticed so they can get the call up the big leagues.  (Including dying of Covid, apparently.)

18 hours ago, 4th&Five said:

Our 9yo started showing some symptoms this afternoon. Called Walgreens, CVS and a few others and nobody can get her in today. ARC said it could be days. Is at home our best bet?

Where are you?  The places like CVS are filled up for testing but there are other places that are hardly being used.   In Houston, I signed up my wife for testing via https://houstonemergency.org/covid-19-testing/ and she was scheduled for testing within 30 minutes.   Process was easy and results were relatively quick.    

5 hours ago, 956 Worldwide said:

Evidence: Look at how many of these people are convinced that they ARE the ones thinking critically and who are performing a sad parody of critical thinking and research. 
A collapse of faith in authority is exacerbated by and reinforces a bewildering information environment. A lot of people who are capable of fully engaging in independent life do not have the raw processing power to navigate those shoals. 

I tend to see it as a branch of the every accusation is a confession commentary.  They think since their party engages in misinformation and their public officials are corrupt that all others must be.  Because their side took glee at the suffering of NY and CA residents and thought it would kill off opposition voters, that the D's would do the same.  They are in the cult, they were conned, admitting it is worse than death.   So they die.  

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, Anastasis said:

LOL.  There is zero chance that he injected himself with that needle in that location. 

1 hour ago, Pato del Muerto said:

That looks like a 6 gauge needle or some shit and he injected it into…his biceps?  

eta I see @Anastasiscovered it already. 

Oh, see I thought that was a sex joke.

They are in the cult, they were conned, admitting it is worse than death.   So they die.  

“Bernie Madoff would not steal from me - he was at my grandson’s Bar Mitzva!” - early Madoff victim

People put up an amazing defense to being conned when challenged. Hell, huge numbers of marks never admit they were wrong. Grifters count in it. Look - Bannon was convicted of grifting Trumpers. Trump pardoned him. Cletus thinks Trump is an honest man protecting him. You can never make them admit they are ignorant marks. Never. At best, in 20 years they’ll say they voted libertarian in 2016 and 2020.
  • Hook 'Em 2

I'm not sure if this has been posted, but it provides a nice explanation about how overly simplistic data analysis can produce skewed results.  It goes into how a failure to account for age, vaccination rate, etc. can make a vaccine looks less (or more) effective than is actually the case, and shoots holes in the popular myth that recent data from Israel prove current vaccines aren't very effective against the delta variant.  (Disclaimer:  I haven't checked his math.)

"Israeli data: How can efficacy vs. severe disease be strong when 60% of hospitalized are vaccinated?"

This simple illustration of Simpson's paradox is telling:

cf58cd_4e8c9ec951004f298f46cd89628a9cac~mv2.webp

His final breakdown of the Israeli data by age and vaccination status:

untitled image

Part of the concluding remarks:

The bottom line is there is very strong evidence that the vaccines have high effectiveness protecting against severe disease, even for Delta, and even in these Israeli data that on the surface appear to suggest the Pfizer vaccine might have waning effectiveness. This is clearly evident if the data are analyzed carefully, and agrees with all other published results to date from other countries.

Edited by jimmyjazz
  • Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 2

Candace Owens?
you-had-my-curiosity-but-now-you-have-my-attention-leonardo-dicaprio-django.jpg

She’d be a big one. Personally, I’m pulling for Shapiro or Crisco Brain down Houston way. I’m pretty certain Shapiro is vaxxed, though. Crisco is dumb enough — and low enough in the hierarchy — to be a holdout. He’s not on the secret emails where GQP leaderships tells everybody to be anti-vax in public but it would be a good idea to go ahead and get it.

1 hour ago, Homercles said:

I’ve probably wasted hours over the years scanning through AM stations looking for sports to listen to when on a drive and it usually goes like the ‘flipping tv channels in the hotel’ scene in European Vacation except it’s:

*STATIC*

’Jesus!!’

’They want to take your guns and give them to Hilary!’

*incredibly loud Tejano music*

’The score is 94-6 to start the second half’

’AOC demanding mandatory abortions’ 

*sounds of Rangers losing*

‘We will not teach the devils race theory in…’

’And the Lord said…’

‘Trump was right in…’

’Call meh now for yer free reedun’

I like taking long road trips. I love tuning into local radio as I pass through areas. Sometimes it's an incredibly small time talk show. Sometimes it's different music.

In the past 6 or 7 years I've driven from Texas to New England three or four times and had the exact experience described above. Local rural programming is dominated with Gawd and radical right politics.  Not much fun to it anymore.

Maybe West Virginia was the worst. Great, cool night drive through the mountains to Morgantown. Depressing yokel radio stirring up pride in ignorance, fear, and hate.

• Hook 'Em 1

16 hours ago, Mole said:

Last week I received an email that one of my students tested positive and would be in isolation. Usually they isolate for 10 days, but their isolation was only for 4 days. The reasoning was that the student had been experiencing symptoms for a week and a half so isolation could end early.

My attendance policy is don’t come if you feel sick; just email me telling me you’re sick. I don’t want a doctor’s note or anything, just an email and no disease vector sitting in front of me. This isn’t even a hard class.

It can be hard to get students to come to class, but give them COVID and they’re Mr. and Miss perfect attendance.

Our tracking and quarantine protocol is based on the honor system. So if a student wants to lie to us, or just lie to themselves, barring obvious symptoms there's nothing we can do.

I just assume they are all infected, and encourage them to act as if everybody else is, including me.

But yeah, I've never had them so eager to crowd up on the front row.

3 hours ago, Homercles said:

I’ve probably wasted hours over the years scanning through AM stations looking for sports to listen to when on a drive and it usually goes like the ‘flipping tv channels in the hotel’ scene in European Vacation except it’s:

*STATIC*

’Jesus!!’

’And the Lord said…’

‘Trump was right in…’

Yep. This is the stretch from Italy to about Elm Mott on 35 coming back from Dallas. 

3 hours ago, Homercles said:

*STATIC*

’Jesus!!’

’And the Lord said…’

‘Trump was right in…’

What, no "Yo... soy... Indio Tula...?"

10 hours ago, washparkhorn said:

The message was delivered with the album cover I chose. The cover I selected to choose represents the music more effectively given the context. The Sid and Marty Krofft on Acid cover you prefer certainly has its merits, and its place in certain contexts. Not this one. The spice must flow.

On sober reflection, you will agree. 

You’re wrong, of course. If you only own one Spirit album, it should be Twelve Dreams. Have you ever listened to it in its entirety? (If you did then you’d get my “You have the world at your fingertips” quote.) It’s a psychedelic masterpiece that stands alongside others like Sgt. Pepper’s and Dark Side. And it’s the album where Nature’s Way appears. If you watch the video I posted, you’ll notice that it both begins and ends with the greatest hits cover, but it also includes a lot of other images. Yours just has that one static image of the Time Circle cover throughout. I’m not sure what they call the image displayed on the embedded video before you play it. My guess would be a splash screen. But I believe in promoting Twelve Dreams whenever possible. If you don’t own it then you should buy it.

I’d recommend that you own all four of the albums from their original lineup. Nothing wrong with owning the greatest hits album, either. And a bunch of other albums like Future Games. Try backin’ ‘em down on the time coast for awhile. Then get back to me. 

• Hook 'Em 1

8 minutes ago, WhatTheBuck said:

I’d recommend that you own all four of the albums from their original lineup.

I've recorded Mark Andes a couple of times.  While I'm not a big fan of Spirit, he's a nice dude, a big talent, and his career is pretty varied and impressive.

https://news4sanantonio.com/news/texas-war-hero-dies-waiting-for-icu-bed-doctor-fought-to-find-opening-at-us-hospital

Daniel's family says the procedure that could have saved Daniel's life would have taken 30 minutes, but because there were no beds available for him, that didn't happen.

His mom says that the doctor who was treating him made numerous calls to other hospitals to see who could take him, but everyone was full.

Seven hours passed while Daniel laid on a stretcher in the ER and finally a bed at the VA hospital in Houston opened up.

He was airlifted there, but it was too late.

As of Thursday night, there were 102 people waiting for an ICU bed in the Houston area.

Time to start triaging these no-vax fucks in a tent in the parking lot.

• Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 2
  • Rage+1 2

24 minutes ago, WhatTheBuck said:

You’re wrong, of course. If you only own one Spirit album, it should be Twelve Dreams. Have you ever listened to it in its entirety? (If you did then you’d get my “You have the world at your fingertips” quote.) It’s a psychedelic masterpiece that stands alongside others like Sgt. Pepper’s and Dark Side. And it’s the album where Nature’s Way appears. If you watch the video I posted, you’ll notice that it both begins and ends with the greatest hits cover, but it also includes a lot of other images. Yours just has that one static image of the Time Circle cover throughout. I’m not sure what they call the image displayed on the embedded video before you play it. My guess would be a splash screen. But I believe in promoting Twelve Dreams whenever possible. If you don’t own it then you should buy it.

I’d recommend that you own all four of the albums from their original lineup. Nothing wrong with owning the greatest hits album, either. And a bunch of other albums like Future Games. Try backin’ ‘em down on the time coast for awhile. Then get back to me. 

I don't want to internet fight with you, but the next time you want to educate us all with your thoughts on music in this thread, could you please just not? 

• Hook 'Em 6
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, MC Fresh Breath said:

I don't want to internet fight with you, but the next time you want to educate us all with your thoughts on music in this thread, could you please just not? 

That's sound advice, except you don't need to limit it to just music.

• Haha 1

9 minutes ago, jimmyjazz said:

I've recorded Mark Andes a couple of times.  While I'm not a big fan of Spirit, he's a nice dude, a big talent, and his career is pretty varied and impressive.

Mark’s brother Matt and Matt’s daughter Rachel were on Spirit’s last studio album - California Blues. They were going to go on tour. I was finally going to get to see Spirit in concert! Then, before the tour, Randy took a vacation to Hawaii to visit his mom. While there his 12-year-old son got caught in a riptide. Randy managed to rescue his son and throw him to safety. But Randy was sucked out to sea. His body was never found.

The story of Spirit is like a Shakespearean tragedy. 

15 hours ago, BearSchlong said:

Today I snapped and put this on Facebook. The last 12 hours has been me, 2MDs and 2 PhD UTHSC nursing professors vs. An ivermectin taking CPA and some refinery workers.

Literally watching my oldest friend, who has a fucking MD from Johns Hopkins get dog piled by SE TX rednecks.

f10f142170a0c45085ca70fd3bf239c1.jpg

Holy shit that thread. I know some of those goobers and the ones I don’t are friends of friends

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

and there’s this: https://www.11alive.com/article/news/health/coronavirus/uga-professor-irwin-bernstein-resigns-student-mask/85-604f864b-a235-4ddc-8a2b-da33c85978b9

Irwin Bernstein, a University of Georgia professor, made clear he was not willing to make exceptions to his policy that masks were mandatory in his class. “No mask, no class,” he wrote on the board. When one student refused to put one on properly, the professor resigned. Bernstein, an 88-year-old who had come out of retirement to start teaching again, had told students masks were mandatory in his class because he was at higher risk from COVID-19 due to his age and underlying medical conditions. On the first day of class, everyone complied. On the second day, a student who hadn’t been to the first class arrived without a mask.

The student was asked to put on a mask and a fellow student gave her one but she refused to wear it over her nose, claiming she couldn’t breathe. The student proceeded to to ignore Bernstein when he continued to ask her to put on the mask correctly so he could continue teaching the psychology seminar. That is when Bernstein stopped pleading and announced he was resigning and left the class.

14 hours ago, Willfully Horn said:

So, to answer my question from a couple of weeks ago: no, herd immunity is no longer a thing. 

Please tell me why I’m wrong.

Eh you might get there but it will take >90% immune like w measles or chicken pox. 

"Irwin Bernstein, a University of Georgia professor, made clear he was not willing to make exceptions to his policy that masks were mandatory in his class. “No mask, no class,” he wrote on the board. When one student refused to put one on properly, the professor resigned."

I feel what Dr. Bernstein is feeling, but I don't think he accomplished anything by walking out. If his school is like mine, there's a fairly simple process to "remove a student with cause." Usually they just drop instead so it's not on their record. What happens with him walking out? Either administration scrambles to get somebody else to cover the section, or else I guess they'll have to cancel it, and all the students who were doing as he asked, they get fucked.

Shoulda just made Missy Poke-Nose get right, or get out.

Edited by RDCanecutter

1 minute ago, RDCanecutter said:

I feel what Dr. Bernstein is feeling, but I don't think he accomplished anything by walking out. If his school is like mine, there's a fairly simple process to "remove a student with cause." Usually they just drop instead so it's not on their record. What happens with him walking out? Either administration scrambles to get somebody else to cover the section, or else I guess they'll have to cancel it, and all the students who were doing as he asked, they get fucked.

Shoulda just made Missy Poke-Nose get right, or get out.

He’s 88 and didn’t wanna have to deal with the bs and the next obscenity selfish student walking into class defiantly without a mask.

• Hook 'Em 2

5 minutes ago, Satchel said:

He’s 88 and didn’t wanna have to deal with the bs and the next obscenity selfish student walking into class defiantly without a mask.

Totally get that. But he took the class, and instead of removing the offender, he left the whole class in the lurch.

Students aren't allowed to lead little rebellions and then stay in class. Removed with Cause works.

EDIT: If his school's administration doesn't back up the faculty (no idea either way) then sure, maybe leaving was his only option. The fact that they have an 88-year-old covering sections during a pandemic makes me wonder about how organized they are.

Edited by RDCanecutter