CR: COVID-19 --Political Talk

Mrs Whiggins

So one of the nurses working on the surgical floor at one of the private hospitals this weekend is a traveler. She was in Arizona working Covid unit prior to coming to Texas. She said that close to 100% of her ventilator Covid patients in Arizona had pulmonary emboli. Some of them bilateral saddle emboli. Also were throwing clots to the brain with resultant strokes, kidneys with renal failure. She said their D-dimers are all off the charts. D-dimers are a sign of abnormally coagulable blood.

Her sister is an ICU nurse at a big hospital in Arkansas. Their hospital system has the only four ECMO machines in the state. Those are the machines that will oxygenate your blood and offload carbon dioxide in order to give your lungs a rest. She said her sister told her the pulmonologist and critical care docs say you have about five days on the vent before they need to switch you to ECMO to prevent permanent catastrophic lung damage. Again there are only four machines. Basically, if you are on the vent for a week, you’re going to need a lung transplant if/when you ever come off. She said basically no one comes off the vent.

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Fuck Around and Find Out 2

So one of the nurses working on the surgical floor at one of the private hospitals this weekend is a traveler. She was in Arizona working Covid unit prior to coming to Texas. She said that close to 100% of her ventilator Covid patients in Arizona had pulmonary emboli. Some of them bilateral saddle emboli. Also were throwing clots to the brain with resultant strokes, kidneys with renal failure. She said their D-dimers are all off the charts. D-dimers are a sign of abnormally coagulable blood.

Her sister is an ICU nurse at a big hospital in Arkansas. Their hospital system has the only four ECMO machines in the state. Those are the machines that will oxygenate your blood and offload carbon dioxide in order to give your lungs a rest. She said her sister told her the pulmonologist and critical care docs say you have about five days on the vent before they need to switch you to ECMO to prevent permanent catastrophic lung damage. Again there are only four machines. Basically, if you are on the vent for a week, you’re going to need a lung transplant if/when you ever come off. She said basically no one comes off the vent.
That corroborates what was in the reddit thread in /r/nursing. Very, very low survival rate once the vent goes on. This disease is insanely nasty. Contagious for a long time before it finally puts someone down, then it seems like a crap shoot just how down someone will be.

I've seen a large uptick in my own personal circle of acquaintances that are either down or related to someone down. We really need this thing to peak in the next 60 days because I have a feeling that pandemic fatigue is at the boiling point and then we'll see what COVID's limits as a disease really are come winter.

14 minutes ago, Sawbonz said:

Can you translate the bolded for us lay persons?

12 minutes ago, HenryJames said:

That’s a lot of dead people.

I mean everyone could just get vaccinated 

5 minutes ago, Willfully Horn said:

The info I linked also talked about lasting immunity. Of the two preconditions we are at 0 point 0.

Boosters can get you there. Also infected patients will have tcell mediated immunity. Will take years of surveillance (reinfection rate data) to see how effective it is

• Hook 'Em 1

Totally get that. But he took the class, and instead of removing the offender, he left the whole class in the lurch.
Students aren't allowed to lead little rebellions and then stay in class. Removed with Cause works.
EDIT: If his school's administration doesn't back up the faculty (no idea either way) then sure, maybe leaving was his only option. The fact that they have an 88-year-old covering sections during a pandemic makes me wonder about how organized they are.
Or how desperate they were.

2 minutes ago, BearSchlong said:
28 minutes ago, RDCanecutter said:
Totally get that. But he took the class, and instead of removing the offender, he left the whole class in the lurch.
Students aren't allowed to lead little rebellions and then stay in class. Removed with Cause works.
EDIT: If his school's administration doesn't back up the faculty (no idea either way) then sure, maybe leaving was his only option. The fact that they have an 88-year-old covering sections during a pandemic makes me wonder about how organized they are.

Or how desperate they were.

Desperate to get some damn money for the class.

26 minutes ago, jimmyjazz said:

D dimers are small molecules that we can test for. When present in high numbers your blood is more likely to clot (or is clotting) in places and at times it shouldn’t. Those clots are called thrombi. 

An embolus is something that breaks loose and travels wherever a blood vessel takes it until the vessel’s diameter gets too small for it to go further. Then it lodges there as a blockage. Usually it’s a blood clot (thrombus) in a large vein. If a small one breaks loose it will work its way up to the right side of the heart and into the pulmonary arteries which start big and branch into a left and right before getting smaller and smaller as they branch out in the the lungs. So one or two small emboli probably won’t be a problem because you have a massive amount of collateral flow. But you can have showers of these small ones that effectively block flow from enough of the small vessels to prevent gas exchange in the lungs. Or you can have a massive one break free and get lodged where the left and right pulmonary arteries branch, like a saddle, blocking all blood flow to both lungs. 

If a thrombus forms in a peripheral artery, it will continue downstream as the artery gets smaller until it occludes all flow past it. The peripheral arteries aren’t like the arteries in the lungs which branch out all over; they are like terminal roads. So cutting off flow to that artery will kill whatever that artery feeds. Might be part of the brain, section of heart muscle, a kidney, a section of intestines, or fingers/toes etc. usually a combination of all the above

Edited by Sawbonz
  • Hook 'Em 8
  • Like 1

24 minutes ago, jimmyjazz said:

Not in the med field, but as I understand it, COVID-19 causes unusual / excessive clotting.  

• Pulmonary embolism - blockage in an artery going to lungs
  • Saddle PE - blockage in the main pulmonary artery
  • D-dimer - protein fragment that shows up in the blood when there are a lot of formation / breakdown of clots 

While I think that COVID has always created a lot of funky clotting issues that create issues in the lungs, kidneys, brain, etc., it sounds like the Delta variant has bumped this up a level.

• Hook 'Em 1

23 minutes ago, Beau Vine said:

240827872_4240612819322002_7393607356297

Ricky Gervais Lol GIF

I used to care about people, but I just can't anymore with these stupid fucks who spread misinformation/share shitty opinions and endanger themselves and other peoples' health.

Edited by OU Sucks
  • Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Gap03 said:

Not in the med field, but as I understand it, COVID-19 causes unusual / excessive clotting.  

• Pulmonary embolism - blockage in an artery going to lungs
  • Saddle PE - blockage in the main pulmonary artery
  • D-dimer - protein fragment that shows up in the blood when there are a lot of formation / breakdown of clots 

While I think that COVID has always created a lot of funky clotting issues that create issues in the lungs, kidneys, brain, etc., it sounds like the Delta variant has bumped this up a level.

200.gif

10 minutes ago, Longhorn_Fan68 said:

great read:

I’m pretty sure George Washington required his army to get inoculated against smallpox and every fucking city in colonial times and the early United States had mandatory quarantines for contagion 

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, HenryJames said:

Vaccinated should be ok.

We shall see.  The WSJ and NYTimes did not make any distinction between vaccinated and unvaccinated in their reporting (though Reuters did).

My opinion aligns with @Mo Horn.  Those who choose to remain unvaccinated, fuck them.  They are selfish cunts.