CR: COVID-19 --Political Talk

Mrs Whiggins

2 hours ago, slorch said:

This is the shit that drives me nuts.  What fucking difference is this mask making?  Not a bit.

Nice chinstrap, motherfucker.  At a fucking baseball game of all places...

dumbass.png

Think the trivial shit that drives you nuts thread is in a different forum. 

How could you possibly give a shit about this

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

Football season is going to be a disaster. I'm sure UT and peers will push ahead with 100% attendance and no vaccination proof no matter how bad it gets over the next month. I know it's outside, but being that close together and yelling is going to be ideal tinder for this delta bitch. 

• Hook 'Em 3

7 hours ago, JimmyJames said:

You are gonna need to summarize that my friend.

Also, shit appears that it’s getting much worse and the fall and winter are gonna be really bad for the unvaccinated.

Agree fall and winter. It’s gonna suck. As far as the article, just more data on extended dosing intervals in UK.

Abstract
Extension of the interval between vaccine doses for the BNT162b2 mRNA vaccine was introduced in the UK to accelerate population coverage with a single dose. In a study of 503 healthcare
workers, we show that after priming following the first vaccine there is a marked decline in SARS- CoV-2 neutralizing antibody (NAb) levels, but, in contrast, a sustained T cell response to spike protein. This divergent immune profile was accompanied by robust protection from infection over this period from the circulating alpha (B.1.1.7) variant. Importantly, following the second vaccine dose, NAb levels were higher after the extended dosing interval (6-14 weeks) compared to the conventional 3-4 week regimen, accompanied by a clear enrichment of CD4+ T cells expressing IL2. These data on dynamic cellular and humoral responses indicate that extension of the dosing interval is an effective, immunogenic protocol and that antiviral T cell responses are a potential mechanism of protection.

• Hook 'Em 1

Alabama governor sick of her folks dying. 

“It’s time to start blaming the unvaccinated folks, not the regular folks,” said Alabama Gov. Kay Ivey, per CBS 42 in Birmingham. “It’s the unvaccinated folks that are letting us down.”

Ivey, who was vaccinated in December, also seemed to throw some shade at Fox News and other right-wing media outlets. 

“Media, I want you to start reporting the facts,” she said. “The new cases of COVID are because of unvaccinated folks. Almost 100 percent of the new hospitalizations are with unvaccinated folks. And the deaths are certainly occurring with the unvaccinated folks.”

https://m.huffpost.com/us/entry/us_60fa39a1e4b0e92dfec18d12

• Like 2

8 hours ago, slorch said:

This is the shit that drives me nuts.  What fucking difference is this mask making?  Not a bit.

dumbass.png

Good to see that everyone else in that picture has been vaccinated...

10 hours ago, slorch said:

dumbass.png

Shitloads of people refusing to get vaccinated should upset you more than this.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

56 minutes ago, UTGrad98 said:

You would think Republicans would be smart enough to at least tell the truth about vaccines to the closely contested states. 

Why worry about truth when you have a rabid base and can pass voter suppression laws?

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Rage+1 1

Alabama governor sick of her folks dying. 

“It’s time to start blaming the unvaccinated folks, not the regular folks,” said Alabama Gov. Kay Ivey, per CBS 42 in Birmingham. “It’s the unvaccinated folks that are letting us down.”
Ivey, who was vaccinated in December, also seemed to throw some shade at Fox News and other right-wing media outlets. 
“Media, I want you to start reporting the facts,” she said. “The new cases of COVID are because of unvaccinated folks. Almost 100 percent of the new hospitalizations are with unvaccinated folks. And the deaths are certainly occurring with the unvaccinated folks.”

https://m.huffpost.com/us/entry/us_60fa39a1e4b0e92dfec18d12

Paging Bamachick….

Governor Meemaw with the late straight talk.

14 minutes ago, 4th&Five said:

Go MeeMaw!

While agree with her anger and approve of her tone here, she has not done all that she can.

She needs to go to Republican Oz ... Fox News... and put these folks on blast.

Is there a vaccine lottery in her state?

Has she mandated that all kids be vaccinated before returning to school?

How about mandating all government workers be vaccinated? You try that meemaw?

I call bullshit on this and every other republican's anger / bravado. 

You fucked around and now we've all found out.

Don't piss on my leg and tell me it's raining here guys.

• Hook 'Em 6
  • Like 1
  • Rage+1 1

1 minute ago, Dnaguy said:

Is there a vaccine lottery in her state?

Has she mandated that all kids be vaccinated before returning to school?

How about mandating all government workers be vaccinated? You try that meemaw?

All of this. Save me the sanctimonious lecturing and feigned helplessness. You’re the goddammed governor. Implement policies that incentivize vaccination and prevent unvaccinated nitwits from spreading the disease. 

• Hook 'Em 1

8 hours ago, UncleSonny said:

Think the trivial shit that drives you nuts thread is in a different forum. 

How could you possibly give a shit about this

What possible purpose does the mask serve?  Identifying affiliation?

3 hours ago, Dnaguy said:

Daughter tested positive for COVID after a couple of kids in her preschool came up positive.

Other daughter, wife and I then test negative.

then I start feeling like shit the next day.

Headache, body aches, only slight fever, chills, and general feeling of weakness all over.

Get tested again.

Im positive. Daughter still positive.

Breakthrough COVID for me.

Fuck this shit man. 

Even when you take responsibility and get vaccinated, idiots out there are keeping this shit going. Avoided that crap for over a year and bam.

May I ask which vaccine you had?  Selfish question from a J&J recipient.   And sorry you're going through it.  Also worried due to 9 year old daughter who I can't get vaccinated.

2 hours ago, Anastasis said:

Agree fall and winter. It’s gonna suck. As far as the article, just more data on extended dosing intervals in UK.

Abstract
Extension of the interval between vaccine doses for the BNT162b2 mRNA vaccine was introduced in the UK to accelerate population coverage with a single dose. In a study of 503 healthcare
workers, we show that after priming following the first vaccine there is a marked decline in SARS- CoV-2 neutralizing antibody (NAb) levels, but, in contrast, a sustained T cell response to spike protein. This divergent immune profile was accompanied by robust protection from infection over this period from the circulating alpha (B.1.1.7) variant. Importantly, following the second vaccine dose, NAb levels were higher after the extended dosing interval (6-14 weeks) compared to the conventional 3-4 week regimen, accompanied by a clear enrichment of CD4+ T cells expressing IL2. These data on dynamic cellular and humoral responses indicate that extension of the dosing interval is an effective, immunogenic protocol and that antiviral T cell responses are a potential mechanism of protection.

When you posted the paper, you wrote "stupid."  Does that mean you think this conclusion is stupid, or does it mean you think a longer interval for the 2nd shot would have been appropriate?

I was listening to Bill Simmons pod today and he had Derek Thompson from The Atlantic on regarding Covid.  

One thing he said I thought was interesting regarding vax reluctance.

Kaiser did a survey regarding vaccines in the spring (I think).  16% of people responded that their hesitation to get the vax was simply because it was not "FDA Approved". That's millions of Americans who were waiting for a simple rubber stamp. 

I'm not sure about the machinations of the FDA but if they can simply state it's FDA approved now it will save lives.

2 minutes ago, wildcat09 said:

The moment the FDA approves it, a ton of those people will go "YOU THINK I'M GONNA TRUST THE FUCKIN GUBMINT BOUT WHAT'S SAFE!?"

That's probably true for some but the sooner we can start chipping away at the edges the better.

Obviously I'm not telling you something you don't already know 

I’m not Nostradamus but I’ve been predicting for awhile that shit would go down this fall and winter for the unvaccinated. What I didn’t predict, and is probably what has the republicans scared shitless, is that the spike would start in mid July instead of mid to late September. They’re telling people to get vaccinated now because time is running out. 

I was listening to Bill Simmons pod today and he had Derek Thompson from The Atlantic on regarding Covid.  
One thing he said I thought was interesting regarding vax reluctance.
Kaiser did a survey regarding vaccines in the spring (I think).  16% of people responded that their hesitation to get the vax was simply because it was not "FDA Approved". That's millions of Americans who were waiting for a simple rubber stamp. 
I'm not sure about the machinations of the FDA but if they can simply state it's FDA approved now it will save lives.
I haven't looked at Thompson's article or listened to the podcast, so he may address this, but from personal experience with these people, anyone who hasn't come around since Spring would just move the goalpost once the FDA approves. These people have dug into the stupid so much that it's almost character defining.

13 minutes ago, JimmyJames said:

I’m not Nostradamus but I’ve been predicting for awhile that shit would go down this fall and winter for the unvaccinated. What I didn’t predict, and is probably what has the republicans scared shitless, is that the spike would start in mid July instead of mid to late September. They’re telling people to get vaccinated now because time is running out. 

One thing Eric Topol mentioned is that the Delta spikes appear to be very brief - largely due to the fact that it spreads so rapidly and is so virulent that it does its damage then just runs out of hosts to infect. 

This seems to back it up:

• Hook 'Em 1

2 hours ago, wildcat09 said:

The moment the FDA approves it, a ton of those people will go "YOU THINK I'M GONNA TRUST THE FUCKIN GUBMINT BOUT WHAT'S SAFE!?"

Bingo.  They refuse to get the vaccine because.....the government told them it was important to do so.

That's it.  That's the entire calculus.  It is toddler-stage oppositional defiance disorder, and 1/3 of our country has a fatal case of it.

20 minutes ago, JimmyJames said:

Too late.

Time's up.

tenor.gif

And I'm not really being flippant.  Now comes the Great Culling.  Those who will suffer are those who are unable to access the vaccine (much of the world, particularly the undeveloped world), which is a tragedy......and those who are offered the cup of life, but refuse to drink, and their deaths should be classified as suicides.

Edited by Brisketexan

9 minutes ago, tchookem said:

I haven't looked at Thompson's article or listened to the podcast, so he may address this, but from personal experience with these people, anyone who hasn't come around since Spring would just move the goalpost once the FDA approves. These people have dug into the stupid so much that it's almost character defining.

I guarantee most of the "it's not FDA approved!" crowd doesn't understand the FDA's Emergency Use Authorization.  They literally think the vaccine has received no scrutiny and it's a high-risk, wild west scenario.

7 minutes ago, The Dog said:

One thing Eric Topol mentioned is that the Delta spikes appear to be very brief - largely due to the fact that it spreads so rapidly and is so virulent that it does its damage then just runs out of hosts to infect. 

This seems to back it up:

I don’t know who that is but he better be right or it’s not just gonna be bad but a total disaster. 

The current COVID-19 surge in the U.S. — fueled by the highly contagious delta variant — will steadily accelerate through the summer and fall, peaking in mid-October, with daily deaths more than triple what they are now.

That's according to new projections released Wednesday from the COVID-19 Scenario Modeling Hub, a consortium of researchers working in consultation with the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention to help the agency track the course of the pandemic.

It's a deflating prospect for parents looking ahead to the coming school year, employers planning to get people back to the workplace and everyone hoping that the days of big national surges were over.

"What's going on in the country with the virus is matching our most pessimistic scenarios," says Justin Lessler, an epidemiologist at the University of North Carolina who helps run the modeling hub. "We might be seeing synergistic effects of people becoming less cautious in addition to the impacts of the delta variant.

"I think it's a big call for caution," he adds.

The group's latest projections combine 10 mathematical models from various academic teams to create an "ensemble" projection. It offers four scenarios for its projections — varying based on what percent of the population gets vaccinated and how quickly the delta variant spreads.

In the most likely scenario, Lessler says, the U.S. reaches only 70% vaccination among eligible Americans, and the delta variant is 60% more transmissible.

In that scenario, at the peak in mid-October, there would be around 60,000 cases and around 850 deaths each day, Lessler says.

Each scenario also includes a range of how bad things could get — the very worst end of the range for the most likely scenario shows about 240,000 people getting infected and 4,000 people dying each day at the October peak, which would be almost as bad as last winter.

Lessler notes that there's a lot of uncertainty in these projections and that how things actually plays out depends on lots of factors, including whether the vaccination campaign picks up steam and whether other mitigation measures are put back into place.

"Changes in behavior that we didn't predict and big shifts in vaccination could very much change these results," Lessler says.

But overall, the main projection shows a steady slope upwards to the peak in October, and then a steady slope back down.

"By the time you get to October, these resurgent epidemics have burned through a lot of the people who are susceptible," Lessler explains.

At that point, "herd immunity starts kicking in a little more aggressively and we start to see things going down again." By January 2022, the model shows deaths coming back down to around the current level of about 300 per day.

The take-home message of this latest model is that the pandemic isn't over yet and "we're not going to be able to land the plane without turbulence," says William Hanage, an epidemiologist at the Harvard T.H. Chan School of Public Health. "How much turbulence will track with how many people are vaccinated in a given community."

"I also strongly suspect that delta is highly prone to superspreading — if I am right, it might go off like a bomb in some undervaccinated communities," Hanage adds.

Public policy and behavior could still move the dial toward milder outcomes, Lessler says.

"I think states should maybe be rethinking the speed at which they're removing mask mandates or social distancing," Lessler says. "That is something that — if you want to keep cases under control — certainly would have an impact."

Those measures would have to come from state or local leaders. Despite calls for the CDC to issue new mask guidelines, at a briefing Thursday, CDC Director Rochelle Walensky once again held firm.

She emphasized that the guidelines have always said that unvaccinated people should wear masks indoors. She added that even vaccinated people could wear masks indoors, too, if they want extra protection, especially in places where the virus is surging and there are a lot of unvaccinated people. But her main message was the same: Get vaccinated.

With that, Lessler agrees. "If we got enough people vaccinated, we could even stop the delta variant in its tracks," he says.

https://www.npr.org/sections/health-shots/2021/07/22/1019475669/delta-variant-will-drive-a-steep-rise-in-covid-deaths-model-shows

• Rage+1 1