CR: COVID-19 --Political Talk

Mrs Whiggins

36 minutes ago, ChuckNorrisActionJeans said:

It's long past fucking time that we act like adults and start imposing some restrictions on what people can do if they've chosen to remain unvaxxed. 

How many people who refuse to get vaccinated are out in public not wearing masks because those of us who got vaccinated have taken off our masks and so they think the pandemic is over? That’s assuming they ever thought the pandemic was a thing in the first place. Those people should be ticketed. Give them five weeks to get fully vaccinated and they can get out of it. Otherwise, make them pay. 

15 minutes ago, ChuckNorrisActionJeans said:

guess those types never heard that their freedoms end where another person's begins...

Agree. faux-libertarians - all of them. 

“The right to extend my hand stops where your nose begins” is a key element of all libertarianism and self-responsibility.

The trump cultists central directive is to support the cult leader at all costs. 

1 hour ago, WhatTheBuck said:

How many people who refuse to get vaccinated are out in public not wearing masks because those of us who got vaccinated have taken off our masks and so they think the pandemic is over? That’s assuming they ever thought the pandemic was a thing in the first place. Those people should be ticketed. Give them five weeks to get fully vaccinated and they can get out of it. Otherwise, make them pay. 

I’m sitting at a completely full bar thinking that exact thing right now. 

1 hour ago, WhatTheBuck said:

I work with several

• Fuck You 1

All you libtard control freaks with your power-plays to force lizard-fetus vaccines into everybody's arm.

Think of the vaccine like a bulletproof vest. If you've got your vest on, why do you care if I choose to not wear one? And why do you care if I randomly fire this pistol inside your house?

3 hours ago, MC Fresh Breath said:

Was able to procure son’s second Pfizer shot today.  So now only the 10 year old is unvaxxed.  Haven’t heard updates on her age range yet.  Would be nice if it was prior to start of school but I guess that’s not happening

3 hours ago, Chewy's Hairy Horn said:

Seems the last I heard, vaccine authorization for under 10 was projected for October.  Can’t recall the source though.

Anyone else hear similarly?

https://www.nbcnews.com/health/health-news/vaccines-kids-under-age-12-expected-mid-winter-fda-official-n1274057

Pfizer said in a statement to NBC News it anticipates results on its clinical trials in kids ages 5 to 11 sometime in September, and then could apply for emergency use authorization. "Data for kids 2 and under 5 could arrive soon after that," the company said, adding that results on kids ages 6 months up to 2 years may not be released until October or November.

Soo im guessing October for FDA EUA approval?

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

Sorry, but not sorry if posted.

@Brisketexan @TwiceHorn @Ghost of LL etc. seems like this shit could be lawsuit city?

https://www.texastribune.org/2021/07/23/texas-coronavirus-veterans-homes-george-p-bush/

Texas veterans homes overseen by George P. Bush were often the deadliest places to be during COVID-19 pandemic

Seven of the state’s nine veterans homes had a fatality rate of 25% or more, far higher than the statewide average of 11% for nursing homes. Bush has vowed to not renew the operators’ contracts.

The Texas Tribune and Houston Chronicle spent months investigating how Texas cared for veterans and their spouses during the coronavirus pandemic at the nine state-run veterans homes. Reporters reviewed hundreds of pages of inspection reports and internal emails, and interviewed more than a dozen experts, resident advocates and families.

Mary Kay Dieterich was encouraged last year when Texas Land Commissioner George P. Bush promised to shake up the management of the El Paso nursing home where her father died of COVID-19.

She knew it wouldn’t bring Eugene Forti, a World War II veteran, back to life. But as the top elected official in charge of all nine of the state’s nursing homes catering to veterans in Texas, Bush certainly had the power to hold the private management company accountable for what Dieterich saw as a botched response to the pandemic.

Yet, despite telling the for-profit operator of the Ambrosio Guillen Texas State Veterans Home that he was “deeply concerned” about the care it was providing in El Paso, Bush’s promised shakeup, delivered to the local news outlet El Paso Matters, never came — even as COVID deaths soared at the facility.

On July 8, one day after the Tribune and the Chronicle shared their analysis with the agency, Land Commissioner George P. Bush decided to end the relationship with the two for-profit operators of the homes and asked his staff to conduct a nationwide search to find replacements.

1 hour ago, atomheartbevo said:

Sorry, but not sorry if posted.

@Brisketexan @TwiceHorn @Ghost of LL etc. seems like this shit could be lawsuit city?

https://www.texastribune.org/2021/07/23/texas-coronavirus-veterans-homes-george-p-bush/

Well, the homes themselves would seem to be part of a state agency, so there's sovereign immunity there, most likely.

Some of the delegated management might be subject to suit though.

8 minutes ago, TwiceHorn said:

Well, the homes themselves would seem to be part of a state agency, so there's sovereign immunity there, most likely.

Some of the delegated management might be subject to suit though.

Hope they get to spend some time in a for-profit prison. 

Edited by Pods

12 hours ago, bluto said:

Saw that the feds are sending $7m to Texas rural areas for pushing the vax. What a damn waste of time and money.

Mrs. GOTJ's mom texted her yesterday hours before we were to start our anniversary getaway downtown to let her know she tested positive for covid on Friday. She's symptomatic with a fever & cough. I give her credit for at least getting tested as she was supposed to be presenting at a large church event this weekend. My wife's been on her case for month's to get the vax, but of course she didn't because "God is my shield," and since she lives on a ranch in the middle of BFE outside of Fredericksburg "we don't need it." SMDH.

So now she's quarantining with the BIL (also not vaxxed). My wife spent most of our getaway riding the emotional roller coaster of fear, concern & rage. Her mom's 75 and in pretty good health, but her husband died of cancer & heart failure in January so she's been running herself ragged trying to take care of the horses, settle the estate, & get back to "normal." Meanwhile she's been doing her Hill Country ministry stuff all over, running her energy reserves down & going to visit other idiots who think covid is a hoax & the shot an evil government plot.

It doesn't matter that my wife has two degrees in health sciences & works at DSHS. Just as her dad would never listen to her when he'd complain to her about his poor health & she'd point out that he was a chain smoking alcoholic and had a diet that would choke a goat, they'd roll their eyes & say how proud they were of her in a patronizing tone because she was one of those educated, liberal bureaucrats. 

Meanwhile, I'm selfishly pissed thinking "couldn't the MIL have waited one fucking day before sending the text?" There's not a damn thing we can do from 150 miles away.  We could have at least enjoyed our first real date out in over 15 months. But no, it was more critical that we be involved in some hocus pocus "prayer chain." And as she sits in quarantine with her son, the satellite dish tuned to Fox News all day and night, we're stuck preparing for what we can possibly do if she becomes desperately sick?

• Like 3
  • Rage+1 6

9 minutes ago, Bama Chick said:

I know I’m preaching to the choir here but, dear lord, PLEASE do everything you can to persuade anyone you know and love who is unvaccinated.

Delta seems to have a slow ramp up into an area but once it hits, it’s a fast moving wildfire.

Our numbers went up from two inpatients 10 days ago to 30+ as of Friday.

30+ doesn’t seem like a lot but we’ve been cruising along in single digits since March. The increase is very worrying.

They are all unvaccinated. They’re skewing much younger - average age of 44. And we sent our first six pediatric cases on to Children’s to be admitted.

It’s probably too late for this wave but please think of the healthcare workers. They’re at the end of their rope.

Hang in there @Bama Chick and ALL healthcare workers. You're essential and loved. 

I fear the vaccination-able have already taken care of business. We're on Darwin time now. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Anastasis said:

Related tweets.  The vaccines are working. 

Gottleib also seems to think we should start wearing masks again, correct?  That seems to be the latest 'debate' on the interwebs--whether the vaccinated should start wearing masks indoors again or not.   I'm a bit confused by the messaging.  I get that it is an ideal, but previously we were told trust the vaccines.  Now I read all the personal stories of breakthrough infections (and I know, that's not science, but I see enough to get concerned) and wonder what the correct course is.

Not anti-mask by any means, of course.  I think though, that it does bother me that if the message comes out to mask up again, it will only those smart enough to listen who will follow the guidelines.  Meaning those who absolutely need to keep wearing masks never really did and won't start....

• Like 2

1 minute ago, MC Fresh Breath said:

I get that it is an ideal, but previously we were told trust the vaccines.  Now I read all the personal stories of breakthrough infections (and I know, that's not science, but I see enough to get concerned) and wonder what the correct course is.

Circumstances change. If this was just a case of the original variant blazing through the unvaccinated, masks would offer very little added value to the vaccinated or to those in the vicinity of the vaccinated. 

But delta altered the stats just enough to impact the personal risk and public health calculus. Vaccinated individuals can get symptomatic cases. It seems likely that even the vaccinated can transmit the delta variant asymptomatically. If you’re vaccinated, the risk that you’ll get extremely sick and die from delta Covid is far lower. But probably most importantly, you can still act as a vector for the disease. So the whole “Wear a mask in public or be a reckless asshole who doesn’t care about the well-being of my fellow man if it means I must sacrifice my God-given freedom to not ever be inconvenienced in the slightest” calculus is back in play even for the responsible members of society.

• Hook 'Em 2

2 minutes ago, BrickHorn said:

Circumstances change. If this was just a case of the original variant blazing through the unvaccinated, masks would offer very little added value to the vaccinated or to those in the vicinity of the vaccinated. 

But delta altered the stats just enough to impact the personal risk and public health calculus. Vaccinated individuals can get symptomatic cases. It seems likely that even the vaccinated can transmit the delta variant asymptomatically. If you’re vaccinated, the risk that you’ll get extremely sick and die from delta Covid is far lower. But probably most importantly, you can still act as a vector for the disease. So the whole “Wear a mask in public or be a reckless asshole who doesn’t care about the well-being of my fellow man if it means I must sacrifice my God-given freedom to not ever be inconvenienced in the slightest” calculus is back in play even for the responsible members of society.

I guess that makes sense, and trust me I'll wear it.  But I guess I would like to see someone like Fauci advise it nationally.  The last I read he kind of gave it a 'if you want to be extra cautious you can wear it.'  That's not the same message. 

Fauci is getting pilloried for no good reason.  I'm not sure I'd speak up any more, but that's just a defense reaction.

I am hearing multiple 3rd-hand reports of "vaccinated" Austinites getting symptomatic Delta variant, every day.  I am not sure I believe they're all actually vaccinated.

6 minutes ago, jimmyjazz said:

Fauci is getting pilloried for no good reason.  I'm not sure I'd speak up any more, but that's just a defense reaction.

I am hearing multiple 3rd-hand reports of "vaccinated" Austinites getting symptomatic Delta variant, every day.  I am not sure I believe they're all actually vaccinated.

I thought that as I typed it about the reaction from the tards if he says something.  But they're the stupids, they're already not listening.  Some of us want to listen.

So I’ve decided I’m going to tell my parents that I’m not going to visit them if they remain unvaccinated. They don’t really leave their little northwest hills bubble anyway, but I’m not going to risk being a delta vector and causing their deaths. Sigh, that’s going to be an awkward convo. 

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 3

23 hours ago, WhatTheBuck said:

How many of them unknowingly have antibodies (which counts towards herd immunity)? I hate to play both sides/devil's advocate/obtuse/whatever the fuck but that still counts towards the greater good.

• Fuck You 1

Just now, lmao said:

How many of them unknowingly have antibodies (which counts towards herd immunity)? I hate to play both sides/devil's advocate/obtuse/whatever the fuck but that still counts towards the greater good.

Jon Rahm was forced to drop out of the Memorial Tournament, where he had a commanding lead, because he tested positive. He’s now been eliminated from the Olympics because he tested positive again. He’s had more than enough time to get fully vaccinated in the mean time. It goes to show that, just because you had it once, it doesn’t mean you’re immune. Get vaccinated, dumbasses. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1