Donald Trump 2018

TheFlyingBoat

How awesome would it be if the Department of Justice amended the memos that were written in regards to “a sitting president cannot be indicted”.

“A president can be indicted” memo would be a nice fuck you from Elf Sessions...and the end of the world. Lolz.

5 minutes ago, texas08 said:

How awesome would it be if the Department of Justice amended the memos that were written in regards to “a sitting president cannot be indicted”.

“A president can be indicted” memo would be a nice fuck you from Elf Sessions...and the end of the world. Lolz.

Abrahamson was on Twitter yesterday say Mueller should just indict Trump and let the courts sort it out.  There’s really nothing stopping Mueller from going down that road other than an unwritten norm.

2 minutes ago, Hugo Stiglitz said:

Abrahamson was on Twitter yesterday say Mueller should just indict Trump and let the courts sort it out.  There’s really nothing stopping Mueller from going down that road other than an unwritten norm.

But the issue would be that it would go to the Supreme Court and currently, that might not be a win for Mueller. And even as a lefty Trump hater, I think we need to rely on Congress to impeach before allowing indictments. I feel this tool could be used as a weapon in a way we wouldn't want post-trump. 

52 minutes ago, Mdhorn said:

Once everything comes down and Trump is removed, impeached, or his brand becomes radioactive, a Republican led Congress when questioned why they never did anything will respond that they did, by allowing the investigation to continue.  It's cowardly but it's the only response they will have, despite having investigative committees in both houses.  They are caught between their rabid cultivated base and donors.  Ethics?  Those went out the window a long time ago and we're reminded every time they mention how long and difficult it is to continuously campaign and raise money.  Great, find another job but don't take shortcuts and line your wallets.  

Which is scary because I imagine the donors will find a way to neuter the voters before they give up their accustomed role of having them dance to their tune. 

3 minutes ago, SmokeyTheBear said:

But the issue would be that it would go to the Supreme Court and currently, that might not be a win for Mueller. And even as a lefty Trump hater, I think we need to rely on Congress to impeach before allowing indictments. I feel this tool could be used as a weapon in a way we wouldn't want post-trump. 

If there was ever a “break glass in case of emergency” moment, this is it.

The political consequences of Mueller indicting Trump would be worth it.  The whole rationale behind not indicting a sitting president is it would distract the president from his duties to the country.

Well, that reasoning rings hollow when the president spends most of his time focused on the investigation into himself.

31 minutes ago, texas08 said:

The irony here is that it's a typo -- the original intent was "a shitting President cannot be indicted".

So, it turns out that's pretty much the same thing for Trump, but maybe the next guy?

10 hours ago, TornACL said:

Who, other than criminals, has "a lot of friends" who have flipped to the feds? 

Fucking THIS.  Seriously.  For fuck's sake, we have a guy with a new york accent bitching about people who flip.

My whole life, we called that guy a fucking criminal, and popped him with a RICO prosecution.  Now, he gets to fly on Air Force One.  What the everloving fuck?

3 hours ago, HenryJames said:

Is is possible to just book one of Diamond and Silk?

Posted like a man who don't know shit about accessorizing.

1 hour ago, Hugo Stiglitz said:

It got killed because Trump (cough Putin) didn’t want to sign it.

Just another McConnell treachery.

I presume that it's clear to everyone paying any sort of attention that our country is currently run by a criminal syndicate (the GOP) that is in league with a foreign power.  Every move they make is calculated to preserve power in the syndicate, at the expense of the country.

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, Fozzz said:

Corker seems to think it's pretty funny that the GOP base is chock-full of white supremacists.

CORKER: "There are portions of his base who are deplorable.....wait..wait....sorry, strike that...that was not on record, was it?......fuck"

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, jimmyjazz said:

You know, if you get your ass kicked in a debate with Chris Cuomo, you should really consider some serious introspection.  

I feel like Cuomo represents us Bro's out there very well.  Keep your fucking mouth shut.  Just wait til he needs to bench press in the middle of a heated interview.  Who's gonna be laughing then?  Yeah, exactly.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, MaybeACoordinator said:

Which is scary because I imagine the donors will find a way to neuter the voters before they give up their accustomed role of having them dance to their tune. 

They already have by trying to make their tax cuts permanent amidst other permanent non-regulatory bs. Hey we'll take your ss and medicare.  Wut?

1 minute ago, Jive Turkey said:

Can’t wait for the Trump tweets about how John is weak and a quitter.

There’s one Kavanaugh vote that is gone.  Collins and Murkowski and Flake could really fuck things up.  But they won’t.

AZ gov will appoint a stand in virtually immediately.

People keep saying that a President couldn’t be tried for a crime, but I think that is false. VP Aaron Burr had a warrant out for his arrest in both New York and New Jersey.

A President has no clear constitutional immunity from criminal prosecution. I think the framer’s intent was that a President was not above the law and was just a citizen who would be availed of their rights, same as anyone else. To remove them from power, they’d need the votes.

The scenarios of a coup by abuse of the criminal justice system could be done regardless of a justice department memo.

1 hour ago, Hugo Stiglitz said:

We have a protocol for that eventuality in my house.  Mrs.LL will promptly run (not walk) to Twin Liquors and buy every bottle of champagne in the store.  By the time it's iced down, I'll be home--at which point we're opening the house to the neighborhood. 

• Like 8

1 minute ago, Ghost of LL said:

We have a protocol for that eventuality in my house.  Mrs.LL will promptly run (not walk) to Twin Liquors and buy every bottle of champagne in the store.  By the time it's iced down, I'll be home--at which point we're opening the house to the neighborhood. 

That will be a Pappy day.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Ghost of LL said:

Like this?

Last New Year's Eve Mr Panetta struck a wager with his friend of 40 years Ted Balestreri at a gathering in his home town of Monterey, California. 

During the party in the cellar of Mr Balestreri's eatery the host showed two dozen guests his oldest bottle of wine, a Chateau Lafite Rothschild from 1870. 

He refused to open it but said: "If Leon catches Osama bin Laden, we'll open that bottle." 

Mr Panetta, who was at the time head of the CIA, reportedly replied: "You're on." 

Four months later, when the al-Qaeda leader was shot dead by US Navy Seals in Abbottabad, Pakistan, Mr Panetta immediately called in the bet.

Shortly before President Barack Obama announced bin Laden's capture to the world Mr Panetta telephoned his wife Sylvia. 

Mrs Panetta told the Monterey County Herald: "Leon called me about 7:15 on a Sunday evening and told me to turn on CNN because the president was going to make an announcement, and by the way, to call Ted and tell him to get ready to open that bottle of wine."

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnews/al-qaeda/8856224/Leon-Panetta-to-toast-Osama-bin-Ladens-death-with-10000-bottle-of-wine.html

• Like 2

28 minutes ago, Ghost of LL said:

I'll bring a sixer of Natty Lite.  I can share it if need be.  Thanks!

2 minutes ago, Hiphopopotamos said:

'Warmest regards and respect' to a murderous dictator openly defying the 'agreement' Trump negotiated.  This fucking guy...

He's not defying the agreement.   He is complying entirely with this agreement which has completely denuclearized the entire Korean Peninsula. 

Trump made the best deal ever.  The perfect deal.  No one in history has ever  made such a good deal.

4 minutes ago, MidTexHorn said:

Had dinner with some Chinese national clients last night. Asked them about how Trump is viewed in China. Their response: “everyone just thinks he’s a crazy person.”

So not much different from here.  Can't argue with that.

33 minutes ago, Aqua Buddha said:

Like this?

Last New Year's Eve Mr Panetta struck a wager with his friend of 40 years Ted Balestreri at a gathering in his home town of Monterey, California. 

During the party in the cellar of Mr Balestreri's eatery the host showed two dozen guests his oldest bottle of wine, a Chateau Lafite Rothschild from 1870. 

He refused to open it but said: "If Leon catches Osama bin Laden, we'll open that bottle." 

Mr Panetta, who was at the time head of the CIA, reportedly replied: "You're on." 

Four months later, when the al-Qaeda leader was shot dead by US Navy Seals in Abbottabad, Pakistan, Mr Panetta immediately called in the bet.

Shortly before President Barack Obama announced bin Laden's capture to the world Mr Panetta telephoned his wife Sylvia. 

Mrs Panetta told the Monterey County Herald: "Leon called me about 7:15 on a Sunday evening and told me to turn on CNN because the president was going to make an announcement, and by the way, to call Ted and tell him to get ready to open that bottle of wine."

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnews/al-qaeda/8856224/Leon-Panetta-to-toast-Osama-bin-Ladens-death-with-10000-bottle-of-wine.html

I’ve got some OG Four Loko in the fridge.  They will be consumed on the appropriate day.

• Like 1

This is a good read into what I feel Trump has been hitting on to get his base so strongly supportive.  It's a bit of psychology behind what is fueling the white supremacist movement that is coming out of the woodwork now.  Trump not only has unleashed it, but is fanning the flames. 

...But ordinary people’s well-being depends mainly on their immediate surroundings. If you are an autoworker who loses your job in Massena, N.Y., when G.M. closes its local plant (moving some jobs to Mexico) and who spends years out of work and who watches as schools shut down and shops go dark and young people flee — for you, the fact that America’s big coastal cities are doing great, or that more than half a billion Chinese have been lifted out of extreme poverty, merely rubs salt in your wounds.

Second, all happiness is relative. Although moral philosophers may wish Homo sapiens were wired more rationally, we humans are walking, talking status meters, constantly judging our worth and social standing by comparing ourselves with others today and with our own prior selves.

According to the Brookings Institution economist Carol Graham, poor whites are far more unhappy and pessimistic than poor blacks, even though, in absolute terms, they are better off. That would not make sense if absolute standing determined subjective well-being. It does make sense, however, when we look at relative standing. Less-educated whites (especially men) have seen their relative standing decline sharply, both compared with their parents and with rising nonwhites. Blacks, by contrast, have seen themselves doing better than expected and closing the economic and social gap.

Absolute standing is not irrelevant, and people will tolerate and sometimes even embrace inequality if they believe the system is fair and lets them get ahead. Still, the witticism (frequently attributed to Gore Vidal) that “it is not enough for me to succeed; others must fail” is uncomfortably accurate. In a striking experiment, certain households in Kenyan villages were randomly chosen to receive large financial windfalls. The lucky beneficiaries were pleased, of course, but their increased happiness was much more than offset by the increased unhappiness of other households, which lost nothing in absolute terms but suddenly saw themselves falling behind. Pondering the accumulated evidence, the British happiness economist Richard Layard concluded, “These studies provide clear evidence that a rise in other people’s income hurts your happiness.”...

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/08/21/opinion/happiness-inequality-prosperity-.html

What it doesn't point out very well is how much our society pushes this competition, to get people to buy more things in order to look better than someone else. 

• Like 3