Jimbo 2023: Watch.The.Tape.

golfclap

2 hours ago, Elmer_Fudd said:

Is the Georgia Tech transfer expected to be the starting QB?  It's hard to find info on them.  To bad Schmid and several of those OL and the RB left.

I think that's the safe assumption though Keeler has been known to toss conventional wisdom when it comes to the QB position- there is absolutely zero information that has come out since Fall Camp started.  The Item hasn't even written an article on Bearkat football since Aug 6th.

4 minutes ago, Hiphopopotamos said:

Glass doll or a statue - either way they're going to get run over.  

Oh don't get me wrong, I think King is going to be a turnover machine under pressure. Either way I am here for the October "furk".

Edited by Vertigo
  • Hook 'Em 3

Maybe we won't be able to tell until actual games, but anything on Durkin and his overall strategy for the defense?  I thought there were going to be some scheme differences from Elko.  Maybe the DL talent is so good it won't matter.

1 minute ago, Yesh said:

Maybe we won't be able to tell until actual games, but anything on Durkin and his overall strategy for the defense?  I thought there were going to be some scheme differences from Elko.  Maybe the DL talent is so good it won't matter.

I think I read somewhere that he plans on keeping the scheme more or less the same

• Hook 'Em 1

28 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

-Figure King has to be named the starter because he can run. Johnson can't. It helps that King's dad has been to practices and made it clear who he's cheering for to get the nod. Weigman may be the real deal some time down the line, but the playbook is too complex for Fisher to feel good about starting a true freshman.

-The OL is a mess and thin. Yes, the DL is excellent, but it's not just that. The OL is an area of concern.

Happy Parks And Recreation GIF

8 minutes ago, Rickylovesweed said:

I would not trust any news about wide receivers under Jimbo until you see it on the field. 

Demas was getting lots of early love and he did nothing in that system. 

This. We're probably gonna still see Chase Lane, Jalen Preston or some other plodding receiver, and Ainias Smith out there. They'll get Stewart on the field, but I'd be shocked if he gets more than 7 looks a game this year.

• Hook 'Em 1

18 minutes ago, Rickylovesweed said:

I would not trust any news about wide receivers under Jimbo until you see it on the field. 

Demas was getting lots of early love and he did nothing in that system. 

Yeah, in case I wasn’t clear, the guys were dubious on WR mattering and Fisher is running the offense through the running game and the TEs, no surprise. 

• Hook 'Em 1

If you were curious, here’s Jimbo’s history with true freshmen WRs who had a meaningful impact 

2011- Rashad Greene- 38 Rec, 596 YDS, 7 TDs
2011- Christian Green- 26, 450, 0
2012- Kelvin Benjamin- 30, 495, 4
2014- Travis Rudolph- 38, 555, 4
2014- Ermon Lane (played both ways)- 13, 267, 1 
2019- Anias Smith- 22, 248, 3

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 2

58 minutes ago, Fud said:

If you were curious, here’s Jimbo’s history with true freshmen WRs who had a meaningful impact 

2011- Christian Green- 26, 450, 0
2012- Kelvin Benjamin- 30, 495, 4

Christian Green & Benjamin RS'd.

Updated list of True Freshman WR under Jimbo:

Edited by Hiphopopotamos
  • Hook 'Em 2

2 hours ago, Hiphopopotamos said:

2021- Xavier Worthy- 62, 981, 12

• Hook 'Em 6

4 hours ago, Hiphopopotamos said:

Greene had flypaper hands. He was an amazingly reliable guy. If Stewart has hands like him and can fly, he could be the unicorn. Otherwise, I expect him to get less run than Smith, Green/Johnson and Achane in terms of attempts. 

• Hook 'Em 1

15 hours ago, closetojumping said:

From several folks who have been to the ATM practices multiple times:

-Figure King has to be named the starter because he can run. Johnson can't. It helps that King's dad has been to practices and made it clear who he's cheering for to get the nod. Weigman may be the real deal some time down the line, but the playbook is too complex for Fisher to feel good about starting a true freshman.

-The OL is a mess and thin. Yes, the DL is excellent, but it's not just that. The OL is an area of concern.

-TEs are an area of concern simply due to a lack of experience. They're going to get plenty of targets, so they better be ready.

-Stewart and Marshall burn the CBs on an almost constant basis. Both look really good.

-Depth at TB behind Achane is a source of staff concern. Johnson is fine but not going to win any All SEC awards. The other guys are either lost or not nearly where the $9.95er hype would have you think they are.

-Overall, the offense is not a top 25 in the country offense. The OL is going to not only limit how good the offense can be, it's likely to get key players hurt. 

-The DL is basically 3 deep of guys who all look the same (in terms of capabilities, not katfid, shit heads) and there are multiple future NFL guys vying for time. 

-LBs has Edgerrin Cooper, who everyone believes is going to be an absolute stud this year, and then a bunch of guys named Bob. It's not a strength and not a weakness. 

-Chappell is the best CB and he's dinged up but playing. He can't keep up with the WRs on quick cuts. Jaylon Jones is healthy and still can't keep up with the WRs on go routes, at all. They continue to be slow at CB, which was a problem last season. 

-Jacoby Matthews is going to be an All American at SAFETY. Both folks raved independently about the guy. It doesn't sound like Jardin Gilbert should not feel very comfortable about the premise of starting all year. 

-Bryce Anderson is allegedly pushing Johnson at NICKEL, but I'd like to see some games and PT before I believe that.

-Even with the mediocrity outside of Cooper at LB and the lack of speed at CB, this is a top 10, maybe top 5 defense nationally. 

-Expect ATM to focus their "NIL" on Peyton Bowens, for sure. There's probably a ceiling for Hicks on "NIL" significantly lower than Hills', largely due to ATM having the Hicks types loaded up on campus already. 

A few thoughts:

- If Max Wright is the guy all season, that spells issues for a TE-focused offense.  He’s a DE converted to TE, has been dinged up much of his career. It’s hard to see him being more than just OK at the position although he does have the brains and attention to detail. One of the freshmen needs to emerge for the offense to be more than OK. 

- If Anderson is really pushing Johnson at nickel, I would expect to see Johnson somewhere else on the field, likely at S.  He may be the best and most proven defender on the team.

- A lack of depth at RB means you may see more of Ainas Smith in that role, but the problem is that he doesn’t offer a different physical set that Achane. 

• Hook 'Em 1