Deion Sanders "Coach Prime" Now At Colorado

Don Johnson

1 hour ago, Helobious said:

I was too young to remember Deion for most of his NFL career. I’m shocked reading all these comments saying people hated that the cowboys signed him. He’s pretty unanimously regarded as one of the best corners ever. He also wasn’t a criminal of the field as far as I know. I can’t imagine hating a guy like that on my team. I guess if you’re a gossiper and into all the off field publicity stuff it’d be annoying. I don’t have the feminine energy in me to care about that I guess. 

Deion was at FSU when I really started getting into CFB as a young kid. He was "Neon Deion" then. He was must see tv, same as now, and so was FSU. Then he went to the Falcons/49er's/Cowboys/Yankees/Reds/Braves, gave himself the nickname of "Prime Time" and took shit to a different level. 

IMO, he is the greatest CB of all time. Yeah, he didn't tackle, but the motherfucker took away half the field and the best WR on the other team, and then he scored points. He did it all with flare. He was an absolute pleasure to watch if you loved football. The shittalking and showboating was always there, but he lived up to it. You can't respect that? It always baffled me.

Now, looking back, while there's no doubt a racial tinge with some of the commentary then and now, I think a ton of it has been the old school/new school dilemma faced by generational shifts dating back to the dark ages. "Get off my lawn!" I saw my father do it sitting next to me watching Deion on MNF. He hated the way he ran his mouth off the field and made things about him, but he loved watching him play. There's still a ton of that because Deion was one of the poster children in which the player-having-a-voice narrative shifted during that time. Dude has always been a change agent.

Separately, there are a whole bunch of Dallas Cowboy honks on this board, and Cowboy haters, who have some sort of bizarre love-hate thing going with Deion. That shit is just fandom idiocy. 

• Hook 'Em 7
  • Like 1

21 minutes ago, Brothahorn said:

And on this very board we have posters saying that Deion represents black culture(whatever the fuck that means) better than a guy like Charlie Strong. Because he wears the shades, chains and talks slick. Meanwhile the most gangsta shit Deion ever did was get arrested for fishing.

Basically the jackass sword cuts both ways. People need to just chill the fuck out and enjoy the circus.

hey, the fishing story is awesome, as is the reason he was in town (last line in the quote below)

https://www.clarionledger.com/story/sports/2020/11/17/deion-sanders-coach-prime-arrest-story-fishing-bass-florida-pro-football-football-show-jackson-state/6322826002/

"Right by the airport there's this beautiful lake," Sanders said. "... But you can't even see the lake from the highway or from the road.

"So, I pull my truck way back up in there and, oh, my God. I'm by myself. I had this little boat in the back of my truck, and I put it in the lake, fishing my butt off, and I could see the bass coming to hit the lure — eating it alive. I mean, I'm catching fish left and right."

While the bass had his attention, he'd drawn the attention of local law enforcement officers who informed him he was trespassing.

Sanders said he addressed the situation with the cops with one of his viral slogans, "Ain't nobody cares."

Sanders asked if they were going to arrest him, and they said yes. Since he was already in trouble, Sanders decided to stay a while longer.

"I said, 'Well, I might as well enjoy myself,'" Sanders said. "So, I stayed out there about another hour.

"What are you going to do? He can't come get me; I'm in a boat."

Sanders said he was taken to a police substation, charged and had his mugshot taken. He said the irony of the situation was he was in his hometown of Ft. Myers, Florida, where he'd returned for a celebrity basketball game against the media and the police department to raise money for charity.

Edited by NoName
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

3 hours ago, mdmost said:

It was because he was at the hated 49ers and kept the Cowboys from getting a 3 peat. He was also a mercenary. But if you can't beat them, pay them a lot of money to play for you.

So people also enjoy watching Deion get destroyed.

He cheapshotted Emmitt through the back of the endzone while he was with the Falcons, also.  It might be the only time he hit someone.

I loved him on the Cowboys, though.

2 hours ago, Helobious said:

Again, what are these horrible stereotypes Deion is perpetrating? Is he robbing stores or some shit? If it’s just that he’s brash and wears jewelry and talks like someone from the south I don’t see how he’s doing something awful.

Another thing… he’ll hype himself and his team up all day long. But you NEVER hear him badmouth their opponents this year, before or after a game. Every coach sans sonny has done that to CU, he’s done it to none of them. Yet no one has criticized any of the opposing coaches.

I'm not really replying to this post, but more how said you are too young to get it.  Do you know who Willie Beaman is?  That was basically Deion back in the day. And, no, he's not quite the same guy anymore, but people are slow to let this go:

Again, what are these horrible stereotypes Deion is perpetrating? Is he robbing stores or some shit? If it’s just that he’s brash and wears jewelry and talks like someone from the south I don’t see how he’s doing something awful.

Another thing… he’ll hype himself and his team up all day long. But you NEVER hear him badmouth their opponents this year, before or after a game. Every coach sans sonny has done that to CU, he’s done it to none of them. Yet no one has criticized any of the opposing coaches.

It's hard coded into American culture to reflexively view anything done by black people as something bad. Be it music (ie jazz, rock, rap), dress, hairstyle, or manner of speaking, if it's done by black people the initial default setting is to view it with derision as a function of American DNA. Paradoxically this taboo also causes intrigue and wonder as well. 

Edited by Catdaddyhorn
  • Hook 'Em 3

14 minutes ago, Catdaddyhorn said:

It's hard coded into American culture to reflexively view anything done by black people as something bad. Be it music (ie jazz, rock, rap), dress, hairstyle, or manner of speaking, if it's done by black people the initial default setting is to view it with derision as a function of American DNA. Paradoxically this taboo also causes intrigue and wonder as well. 

This is ridiculous

• Hook 'Em 1

2 hours ago, Hermanator said:

It has to do with it because Deion Sanders himself is perpetrating horrible stereotypes that are harmful to his own community. The fact that exceptional black and latino students have to disassociate themselves in large part from their own communities to excel educationally in America is a huge problem, and people holding up Deion as some sort of persecuted crusader for the right to "act black" in America are causing the same harm. 

I'm Black and I'm not even sure what stereotype he's perpetuating. You'll need to explain that one. 

Who, specifically, is holding him up to be a persecuted crusader for the right to "act black" because I'm not seeing that either. 

• Hook 'Em 1

5 hours ago, smuggs said:

After more than 30 years in the workforce I can state this as fact, with confidence:

People of all races treat the office shitter differently than the shitter in their own home.

I was the opposite. I found a secret shitter on the fifth floor of the law school library, and I treated that thing with the utmost reverence. 

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, Kennythetiger said:

I was the opposite. I found a secret shitter on the fifth floor of the law school library, and I treated that thing with the utmost reverence. 

Back in the day when I had to take call, I had a secret shitter staked out.  Was in a construction zone of the new hospital wing.  I'd walk 15 min to get there.  I would hand the pager off and say I'm taking a dinner break or whatever...I told everyone else about the secret shitter the day I turned in my pager and there were several people visibly upset that I had kept this to myself.  I just laughed...nobody gonna give up the secret shitter. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

I don't know Deion and I don't pretend to know the guy.  I didn't care for his showboating all that much while he was in the NFL. But at the same time - I used to love what some of the guys on the Oilers used to do because I was an Oilers fan i.e. The electric slide etc.

So to me that means that as a fan, you will usually be on board with your guys, but everyone else is a dumb fuck. Typical fan double-standards

electricslide.jpg.eb1e54103a9f8f3a486e17c0d8948dda.jpg

Edited by redswingline
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2

Again, what are these horrible stereotypes Deion is perpetrating? 

I've explained it in many posts here. How his comments make the assumption that his actions represent the black community as a whole and if you don't like him you're threatened by black people. 

Then people like Keyshawn Johnson take that and run with it with more of that nonsense. 

It perpetrates the stereotypes that black Americans should act a certain way... the loud, brash, flashy way Deion acts. I explained how I've seen first hand how those stereotypes affect exceptional young minds. It's all there if you want to go back and read it. 

If you disagree that's fine. But at least have a good argument against it. 

13 hours ago, Hank_Hill said:

If you didn’t like Deion when he was in the league it’s because racism. If, somehow, your racism allowed you to like other black players at that time it’s only because they were code switching for your benefit. Everyone knows this.

If only there were some other explanation for my dislike of Sanders....  What could it be????

Spoiler

BP2OPB2O4VF4XNFK7EK662B4QI.jpg?w=1024

8 hours ago, Pam Cummings said:

If you dont like Deion thats fine. But this line of reasoning that "i cant be racist, my favorite players are black" sounds a lot like "i cant be racist, i have black friends".

How about if you arent a racist you dont have to constantly tell me youre not a racist.

My favorite players are Asian, so, checkmate hoe.

(way to miss the point completely)

Edited by Hank_Hill

5 minutes ago, Pig Bellmont said:

All these white people talking heavy handedly about race and representation is… well… unfortunately pretty consistent with American history. Can’t we just shut up and watch football?

Oh, crap. Sounds like your browser may be accidentally taking you away from the many other football threads and bringing you to the Deion Sanders "Coach Prime" is now at Colorado thread. 
If you are on Google Chrome, go to the History tab  and Clear your browsing history and cookies.
If the problem persists, go ahead and Clear Cached images and files.
If the problem still persists, bring your computer to Surly IT on floor 3 for repair and we will issue you a Surly loaner.

Unfortunately, @immamac just spent a fortune on tailgating food & beverages, so all we have left are some shitty 2011 Dell Netbooks. 

Relax-Surly-Gal.jpg

• Drool 1

@Kennythetiger man I didn’t even get some of it till it was slapping me in the face. Getting there is what matters. Good on you. 

to the broader points, I love Deion as a player and as a leader. I think he’s bad ass and I am not a religious person. He seems genuine and he cares, plus he’s super talented, wants to teach, does teach, and some of the things he teaches like accountability and excellence and the gravity of the moment are near and dear to me. 

does he represent black culture? Yes and no. He does just like I represent transgender culture. To the outsiders looking in yes. Many white folk see him as black representation. That just is, it’s not a criticism. To those on the inside looking out, he’s a celebrity coach who happens to have the same color skin. He’s no more the spokesperson for black peoples than any well known white person speaks for the white folk here. It’s just like I’m a dominate component to how many of you view trans people but to trans people I ain’t shit but another one of us or Caitlyn Jenner who can’t represent us if she tattooed our faces on her décolleté. 

but to the point I think Deion is brilliant and super talented and I’d love to work with/for him. 

Edited by troph
  • Hook 'Em 2

I'm not really replying to this post, but more how said you are too young to get it.  Do you know who Willie Beaman is?  That was basically Deion back in the day. And, no, he's not quite the same guy anymore, but people are slow to let this go:

See, I’ve thought the same thing for a while. Like Pacino told him, you’re the quarterback, not some flash in the pan corner or WR. I don’t remember which it was now.

Anyone trying to pull the race card because they don’t like Deions act needs to remember Bo Jackson was asked about him during an interview and he said the same thing. He preferred to let his play do the talking and thought Deion should.

Y’all talking about Deion dodging tackles are gonna summon Vic to his defense too.

He has a lacerated liver you fuck face. 

Did you read what I quoted? It stated Hunter wants to come back and Deion was holding him out. I’m aware of the guys injury. I’m pretty sure there’s no mention in that article about the medical staff keeping him out. They are trying I make it sound like it’s Deion’s call.

I don’t think he would rush hunter back, to tell you the truth.

1 hour ago, Jkwellborn said:

Did you read what I quoted? It stated Hunter wants to come back and Deion was holding him out. I’m aware of the guys injury. I’m pretty sure there’s no mention in that article about the medical staff keeping him out. They are trying I make it sound like it’s Deion’s call.

I don’t think he would rush hunter back, to tell you the truth.

These are rare injuries (spleen lac more common but still rare). There is no consensus on RTP but the earliest I saw for the lowest grade liver lac is 4 weeks for the lac to heal. If that’s the case I don’t know how you could be cleared for contact before 6 weeks. I doubt any doc is going to clear that high profile of an athlete quicker than that unless it’s a hematoma rather than a laceration, or they are getting weekly CT scans and it looks safe to resume conditioning and agility drills by 2 weeks. Then RTP by week 4 or maybe even 3

• Like 1

Cover corner.  He never met a tackle he didn't want to backpedal away from.  He was a pussy that way.  Similar to Trevon Diggs (ducks).

Deion was the GOAT of cornerbacks, all cornerbacks. He took away an entire side of the field unlike any before or since. He tackled. Without him the Cowboys don’t win that last ring. He did that while playing very good baseball. He was Jerry’s best free agent signing along with Charles Haley. Diggs is nowhere close to Deion’s football brains or ability.
Cover corner.  He never met a tackle he didn't want to backpedal away from.  He was a pussy that way.  Similar to Trevon Diggs (ducks).

Deion was the GOAT of cornerbacks, all cornerbacks. He took away an entire side of the field unlike any before or since. He tackled. Without him the Cowboys don’t win that last ring. He did that while playing very good baseball. He was Jerry’s best free agent signing along with Charles Haley. Diggs is nowhere close to Deion’s football brains or ability.
  • Hook 'Em 1

Point taken.  I'd think there's a happy medium between being a pure cover corner and being afraid to tackle someone though.  Not my style of football.

You should watch some film. Deion would tackle folks but he rarely had to. You’re style of football departed the station about the time Darryl Stingley got paralyzed.
  • Hook 'Em 1