2020 PRESIDENTIAL DEBATES: Joe Biden vs Donald Trump

Mrs Whiggins

22 minutes ago, miguelito said:

Has Trump tested negative today?  Wasn't that one of Biden's requests/requirements?

I read somewhere that he avoided getting tested before getting on the airplane.  Will see if I can find it.

ETA: White House is saying he did test negative today.

Edited by DDD Dad

Just now, Gap03 said:

Mark my words - Trump is going to manage to make this debate far worse than the first one.  There really is no bottom with these fuckers.  If you're intent on watching, come prepared ...

source.gifgiphy.gif

giphy-downsized-medium.gifgiphy.gif

This reminds me that I'm almost out of Redbreast.

• Hook 'Em 2

5 minutes ago, Gap03 said:

Mark my words - Trump is going to manage to make this debate far worse than the first one.  There really is no bottom with these fuckers.  If you're intent on watching, come prepared ...

• He hates the moderator 
  • They are going to be muted at times
  • He's lagging in way too many polls in important states
  • His Chinese bank account will probably be brought up, as is his taxes paid to the commies
  • Rudy on Borat probably has him angry
  • Covid is surging, and we are back up to over 1,100 deaths a day
  • His 60 Minutes interview was a disaster
  • Since the last interview, he tested positive for covid, at an event that spread it to nearly three dozen people.
  • Chris Christie was in the ICU for a week with covid from that same event.
  • And so on, and so forth.
  • Way too many people are early voting for his campaign's liking

Yeah, it's going to be fun.  

Edited by atomheartbevo
  • Hook 'Em 1

12 minutes ago, DDD Dad said:

I read somewhere that he avoided getting tested before getting on the airplane.  Will see if I can find it.

ETA: White House is saying he did test negative today.

I would trust a white house release about as far as I could throw it. If I'm Biden, I would have made him get tested by a doctor I trusted this morning. 

7 minutes ago, Cairn Horn88 said:

I’m pretty sure that none of the Trump supporters will be watching this debate tonight......The National Cornhole Championship will be on ESPN at the same time.....so, they won’t be watching Trump’s clown show!

He's already said the moderator is working against him, and many know this will be a train wreck and/or he'll be muted, so I actually think some will avoid it.  This is going to be Trump getting people who might not normally vote, or who may have even voted for him in 2016, out to vote for Biden or a 3rd party.

Edited by atomheartbevo

I would trust a white house release about as far as I could throw it. If I'm Biden, I would have made him get tested by a doctor I trusted this morning. 

Also the release implies that the test was done ON THE PLANE.

Seriously?

So at best a rapid test with who knows what kind of QA?

1 minute ago, SubliminalHorn said:

I’m absolutely dreading the debate tonight. Just another way for the POS to embarrass us in front of the world. 

That is the bad thing about this.

We can laugh all we want, it will be hilarious when he's ranting to a muted microphone.  We are ultimately family, and family can deal with the batshit uncle, and can laugh at said uncle.

But when outsiders are peeking in, it's fucking embarrassing.  

On 10/21/2020 at 8:17 AM, ndawg said:

I agree with all this, with one slight deviation. I don't think he "believes" in Fox News or Rush Limbaugh. The word "believes" does not seem precise here; I'd argue that I think he likes what he hears from Fox News and Rush, and he likes the feeling he gets when he repeats it. He would never take actual action on the basis of this belief, though. If he could, he'd obviously repeal Obamacare, but only because he liked the feeling of repealing it, and not because he believed that it's somehow the cause for our dysfunctional health care system.

When normal people express shock at what these people "believe" I think we end up mistakenly trying to challenge these stances as if they were "beliefs." This is why pointing out obvious inconsistencies or hypocrisies never seems to get anywhere; their relationship with their opinions is different from ours because their opinions are, effectively, stored in a different part of their brain from ours -- in neurological pez dispensers of dopamine. Trump, and Trumpkins, like prosperity gospel zealots or cultists, don't have any actual beliefs at all. Just little pez dispensers.

I have tucked away ‘neurological pez dispensers of dopamine’ for future use.

So, Biden's campaign sent text messages to folks in Texas last night asking for input on debate prep. I don't expect them to actually read them, but I did say he should own the stutter during the debate. I do think there a significant # of traditional GOP folks (i.e., not Trumpkins) in Texas who are concerned about the dementia narrative, but don't know anything about his stutter or the tricks he employs to beat them (because they only see one news source). I really think he needs to explain it during the debate. People need to understand the pauses that will happen and why they happen. They need to understand that Trump is intentionally trying to mess up his concentration with his constant jabbering. And they need to understand the mental toughness it takes to defeat a stutter. I sincerely believe there are folks looking for a reason to vote Biden over Trump, but are concerned about Biden's mental capacity. Maybe it would be a mistake, but I think owning it could be one of the most powerful things he could do today, particularly as to affecting his chances in Texas. 

• Hook 'Em 1

I don't think I can stomach watching this tonight. I watched the other one and I think Trump will be even worse tonight since he's a cornered animal. I just hope Biden doesn't fall for the traps this time. If Trump or the moderator brings up Hunter, Biden needs to counter with "we have more important things to talk about like combating this pandemic, getting the economy moving, healing the fracture in our country, etc.". Just cut him off. If he badgers, don't respond. Just keep bringing it back to the more important things. 

23 minutes ago, SizzleChest said:

Biden prepped for this debate by having his chief campaign lawyer yell at him for a couple of hours.

I'm not kidding.

We're the United States of America.....and we are at a point where the only legitimate debate prep for the opposition candidate for PRESIDENT is the metaphorical equivalent of hiring monkeys to fling poo at them, as that is the most accurate simulation of what the sitting President's debate strategy will be like.

This fucking timeline, man.

1 hour ago, mdmost said:

I don't think I can stomach watching this tonight. I watched the other one and I think Trump will be even worse tonight since he's a cornered animal. I just hope Biden doesn't fall for the traps this time. If Trump or the moderator brings up Hunter, Biden needs to counter with "we have more important things to talk about like combating this pandemic, getting the economy moving, healing the fracture in our country, etc.". Just cut him off. If he badgers, don't respond. Just keep bringing it back to the more important things. 

My mom says Biden should just say "all right for you!" and then move to the next subject.  Her approach is more direct than yours.

2 hours ago, FondrenRoad said:

This.  No way I take their word that a negative test was completed on Air Force One.  That entire fucking family is infectious.  Melanie was not up to attending the rally last night, but is out in full force today.  Jared’s been MIA of late.  Stay far away Joe and team. 

I’m legit worried that Biden does something or says something stupid tonight.  He just needs to be solid and keep his lead.  
Talk slow, look at the camera, talk to the people, look presidential, ignore the orangutan. Repeat the mantra Joe. I'd need a beta blocker the size of a whopper to not jump the podium and attack that idiot.

I tried to get into this football game to convince me to avoid this debate but this game is terrible and I'm a glutton for punishment. Now I have to decide whether to watch it on the patio or in the recliner. If recliner, I'll fall asleep. If patio, I'll drink too much bourbon. 

1 minute ago, BradInATX said:

I tried to get into this football game to convince me to avoid this debate but this game is terrible and I'm a glutton for punishment. Now I have to decide whether to watch it on the patio or in the recliner. If recliner, I'll fall asleep. If patio, I'll drink too much bourbon. 

Patio. It's nice af outside all over Texas

1 minute ago, BradInATX said:

No such thing as too much bourbon during a debate.