Ken Paxton is dirty? NO FUCKING WAY!

Gil Bang

SIAP. Everyone's favorite Texas billionaires (Wilks and Dunn) bankrolling PACs that are promising to primary any Republican who votes against Paxton, including the ones from the House. 

https://www.houstonchronicle.com/business/columnists/tomlinson/article/paxton-texas-attorney-general-impeach-bankroll-oil-18128430.php

free: https://archive.is/tFXSz

PAC lead, Jonathan Strickland: “There will be one helluva price to pay for voting w/ @DadePhelan and Dems,” he tweeted on May 26. “Wait until you see my PAC budget … A vote to impeach @KenPaxtonTX is a decision to have a primary. Can’t wait to see who sides with Democrats.”

15 minutes ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

SIAP. Everyone's favorite Texas billionaires (Wilks and Dunn) bankrolling PACs that are promising to primary any Republican who votes against Paxton, including the ones from the House. 

https://www.houstonchronicle.com/business/columnists/tomlinson/article/paxton-texas-attorney-general-impeach-bankroll-oil-18128430.php

PAC lead, Jonathan Strickland: “There will be one helluva price to pay for voting w/ @DadePhelan and Dems,” he tweeted on May 26. “Wait until you see my PAC budget … A vote to impeach @KenPaxtonTX is a decision to have a primary. Can’t wait to see who sides with Democrats.”

Fight! Fight! Fight!

19 minutes ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

More crazy people.  Yay.

Drunk driver in a company vehicle nearly killed my brother in an accident. Buzbee represented my brother and got a nice settlement out of it. This was back when he still practiced in Friendswood. That's about all the nice things I can think about the guy—seems like he's really developed illusions of grandeour of his political abiility/clout in Houston. 

21 hours ago, Beau Vine said:

image.png.51edf8f2aa1f9fed83a9c2e3d0882626.png

That 41% no impact seems misleading to me. My answer to that question would be no impact because I would never vote for that piece of shit anyway. How many others in the sample would answer the same way for the same reason? I’ve seen that answer on polls before, and always thought it would lead to inconclusive  polling results. 

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

“Make no mistake, Ken Paxton was impeached because he has been effectively fighting the Biden administration, Big Tech and Big Pharma,” he tweeted. “The (Texas Legislature’s) Democrats and RINOs had to stop those attacks.”

giphy.gif?cid=6c09b9525q2morglk2aez0jmje

that really seems to be the narcissist's go-to line. the idea that the real reason for some event in which they've been victimized cannot possibly have been something for which the victim is being rightly held accountable. No. Never that! It's always because of the "good" thing they were doing for you and how ungrateful you must be if you don't stand up for them against the "injustice" of being held accountable.

• Like 2

Crazy to believe that we have wealthy and powerful people in politics that are openly campaigning for Paxton to be acquitted, or they will do everything in their power to remove officeholders. I'm not naïve and know this has always been how it is but previously they did it behind closed doors. Now they're opening threatening politicians. Why not just send Moose and Rocco to influence votes via violence.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, YChang said:

Drunk driver in a company vehicle nearly killed my brother in an accident. Buzbee represented my brother and got a nice settlement out of it. This was back when he still practiced in Friendswood. That's about all the nice things I can think about the guy—seems like he's really developed illusions of grandeour of his political abiility/clout in Houston. 

I'm really trying to figure out whether this was intentional or not. 

Han Solo Delusions Of Grandeur GIF - Han Solo Delusions Of Grandeur Out Of  It For A Little While - Discover & Share GIFs

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Drool 1

1 hour ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

Crazy to believe that we have wealthy and powerful people in politics that are openly campaigning for Paxton to be acquitted, or they will do everything in their power to remove officeholders. I'm not naïve and know this has always been how it is but previously they did it behind closed doors. Now they're opening threatening politicians. Why not just send Moose and Rocco to influence votes via violence.

You mean, to help the General find his wallet?  I take it we're not all getting laid?  

5 hours ago, Pam Cummings said:

Fight! Fight! Fight!

Yep, they are taking on Abbott, Patrick, Cornyn, etc. who were all pissed at Paxton for firing the whistleblowers and trying to fuck with their careers.

And them straight-up publicly telling Patrick and the Senate how they'd better vote is going to be interesting - they have a lot of money, but they've backed a bunch of losers like Don Huffines, and they are relatively new to Texas politics at this level.

They are basically coming in and telling Patrick, Abbott, etc., that they now run this state.

@YGIFS it makes me wonder why they are doing this now - if they decide to go after all of the Rs in the Senate and lose like they've been doing with Huffines, etc., it's going to set Patrick and the others off on them.

• Like 1

Something else is afoot.  Peter Lake, Chair of the PUC just resigned a few hours ago.  At Abbott's "subtle" request.  Mackowiak tacitly suggests it's to provide cover for Abbott to look like housecleaning alongside allowing Paxton to be punted.  A few other notable statewide regulators are about to be kicked to the curb.  But it's now a game to confront both Dan Patrick and DeSantis before declaring for POTUS.  but as usual, it makes less than no sense.  There's also about to be a shakeup at a couple of Boards of Regents to fuck with Patrick's futile efforts to end tenure and formula funding.  This is just fucking weird.  Like beyond politics, I think something is legit wrong with Gov. Abbott's brain now.  something else happened to him.  Paxton is just the start of this madness.  

• Rage+1 1

I'll bet this threat is all bark and no bite. I get that they have fuck around money but I doubt they want to piss it away on a ton of political races in which a) their candidates could very well be inferior b) incumbents tend to win most of the time, anyway  and c) if they lose a shit ton of these contests, it will simply embolden the Republicans who didn't do what they want

I love that it says "Hold for Feds" like a customer service agent.  

Guess what Nate is gonna do to get outta jail for the weekend?  Serious, non-Lobo bullshit.  If you gave Ken Paxton the maximum campaign contribution, you are going to be under investigation.  95% of you did nothing wrong, but were I you...I'd lawyer the fuck up this month.  You sorry bastards have no idea how far this is going to go.  

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Drool 1

The idea that the Texas House was trying to get ahead of the story on the Paxton dirt is looking to be accurate:

Ken Paxton associate Nate Paul jailed on federal charges

https://www.kvue.com/article/news/local/texas/ken-paxton-associate-nate-paul-arrested-federal-charges/269-23e70dcf-dae6-4330-b098-dd0f303347f2

Edited by DalTxHornFan

4 minutes ago, Pato del Muerto said:

Isn’t it team Paxton that claimed it was a travesty of justice that no witnesses were allowed during the impeachment proceedings in the house?  And then a day later are against witnesses?

It's almost like they aren't participating in the process in good faith or something...

3 hours ago, YGIFS said:

I love that it says "Hold for Feds" like a customer service agent.  

Guess what Nate is gonna do to get outta jail for the weekend?  Serious, non-Lobo bullshit.  If you gave Ken Paxton the maximum campaign contribution, you are going to be under investigation.  95% of you did nothing wrong, but were I you...I'd lawyer the fuck up this month.  You sorry bastards have no idea how far this is going to go.  

They're picking up now because they got something tangible and sticky.  No way they'd risk spooking others at this stage.  

Edited by Mdhorn

10 hours ago, Pato del Muerto said:

Isn’t it team Paxton that claimed it was a travesty of justice that no witnesses were allowed during the impeachment proceedings in the house?  And then a day later are against witnesses?

It's perfect, isn't it?

To follow up on the shittacularness of that letter, here's the fucking OPENING paragraph of Chief Justice Jefferson's opinion in Heinrich:

"Sovereign immunity protects the State from lawsuits for money damages." Tex. Nat. Res. Conservation Comm'n v. IT-Davy, 74 S.W.3d 849, 853 (Tex. 2002). But "an action to determine or protect a private party's rights against a state official who has acted without legal or statutory authority is not a suit against the State that sovereign immunity bars." Fed. Sign v. Tex. S. Univ., 951 S.W.2d 401, 405 (Tex. 1997). Today we examine the intersection of these two rules. We conclude that while governmental immunity  generally bars suits for retrospective monetary relief, it does not preclude prospective injunctive remedies in official-capacity suits against government actors who violate statutory or constitutional provisions. We affirm in part and reverse in part the court, of appeals' judgment and remand this case to the trial court for further proceedings.

The case is unambiguous in that it stands for two things: in an ultra vires suit, a plaintiff 1) cannot get monetary relief (that is, impose any retrospective liability), but rather 2) the plaintiff can only get an order for the gov't actor to stop violating the law going forward.

Nevermind the other preposterous take here; the House is an investigative body.  It has issued 20 articles of impeachment....there is NOTHING prohibiting it from issuing more.  Imagine your client getting indicted on three charges, and then sending the police a cease-and-desist letter telling the cops "you must STOP all investigative activity into my client, because now that he's been charged with a crime, continued investigation including talking to witnesses is barred/interference/whatever."  The laughter at PD HQ would be deafening, and wouldn't even slow down their investigation into potential additional charges 4 to 6.

Advice to Paxton on how to avoid investigation, impeachment, and being implicated in crimes: don't be so crimey.

10 hours ago, Brisketexan said:

That….is fantastic. Those two guys are the fucking solicitor general of the state of texas, and the head of the litigation division at the AG. In other words, by their titles at least, guys who “know their shit.”
And they just sent a letter that’s full of nonsense. For example, they tell Phelan and buds that their ultra vires acts may “subject them to liability.”
Then, they cite El Paso v Heinrich to support that “threat.” When literally EVERY lawyer with any experience in cases involving govt officials in Texas knows that one of the key things that Heinrich holds is that individual officials CANNOT BE HELD LIABLE FOR ULTRA VIRES ACTS - that is, it expressly says that you can’t get damages against a govt official acting outside his authority. Instead, your remedy is injunction/mandamus ordering the official to stop the ultra vires action. So, these dudes said one thing and then to support it cited a care that stands for the exact opposite proposition.
TLDR; there’s not a single person or thing connected with Paxton that isn’t Olympic-level stupid.

I'm sorry--are we just all going to ignore the facial and obvious conflict of interest?

You can't work for the OAG (in which your only client is the State) and one day decide "ok, I'm going to take a 'leave of absence' from the OAG (whatever the fuck that is) and threaten litigation against the State."  

Someone is filing a grievance with the Bar against these assholes, right?

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Rage+1 1

2 minutes ago, Ghost of LL said:

I'm sorry--are we just all going to ignore the facial and obvious conflict of interest?

You can't work for the OAG (in which your only client is the State) and one day decide "ok, I'm going to take a 'leave of absence' from the OAG (whatever the fuck that is) and threaten litigation against the State."  

I mean you're an attorney. Please feel free to do it for all of us. 

• Hook 'Em 5

36 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

Advice to Paxton on how to avoid investigation, impeachment, and being implicated in crimes: don't be so crimey.

TLDR:

Jim Carrey Stop Breaking The Law Asshole GIF by Jerology

7 minutes ago, Ghost of LL said:

inb4 the state bar finds a way to spike such a grievance and protect their ability to pollute the court system in the future

• Rage+1 2

11 hours ago, cactusflinthead said:

Should the Texas Solicitor General be using a foreign-based email service (proton) that cannot be audited by the State of Texas? I suppose he's free to do what he wants in his private or non-public life but he shouldn't be using it for state business.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Rage+1 2

1 hour ago, Ghost of LL said:

Hey hey, hey - massive incompetence, abuse of legal process and flagrant dishonesty by officers of the court are clearly fine with the Texas bar.  It's not like they developed a drug addiction as a result of pain medication or depression, or something equally unacceptable. 

Edited by Bozo_Casanova
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, YGIFS said:

Nate is expected to sing for a deal sometime later today or tomorrow morning.  This should be a fucking hoot. 

The main downside of partnering with corrupt individuals is that you're partnering with corrupt individuals. They can't wait to throw you under the bus, or use you to get them out of trouble.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

The main downside of partnering with corrupt individuals is that you're partnering with corrupt individuals. They can't wait to throw you under the bus, or use you to get them out of trouble.

They don’t understand the prisoner’s dilemma. 

Or maybe they understand it all too well.

• Like 1
  • Drool 1