Desantis is a POS and needs his own thread

Gil Bang

29 minutes ago, CooterBrown said:

He’s the Florida Man Putin. He’s gone too far to turn back now. He’d rather turn his world to dust than admit he’s a fuck up.

I have to admit, I thought he'd get into actual primary season before imploding, but Daddy Trump decided he needed to go and he picked a fight with a fucking mouse.  Those Florida Reps that are publicly declaring for Trump, you know they were promised something by the Trump campaign, and I'm not sure that Ronnie can even win Florida's primary next year (Narrator: He can't).

At this point, his best option would be to drop from the race, shut the fuck up about Disney, and hope everybody in 2028 has forgotten the fiascos of tangling with Disney and Donnie in 2023.  He doesn't even have a House or Senate seat he can chase after in D.C.  Maybe he could run for Florida's Attorney General in 2026.

Would he really go back to the House though?  Unless it was under the guise of some "I drained the swamps of Florida, and I'll do it again in D.C."  I mean, he has the boots to do the work, that much we know.  I know he wouldn't stoop to a lower office within the borders of Florida with AG though.  He sure as shit won't get a cabinet position in a Trump white house (too visible, he could plea for a federal district appointment though, outta Trump's hair).  And as we've discussed, Rick Scott says he's running again in 2024 and likely retires in 2030 in his late 70's.  Rubio is not going anywhere.  

His biggest problem isn't that he's termed out in 2026.  It's that he'll never be in the news cycle this much ever again for the rest of his life.  Most of it's bad, but still---he went from barely winning by 0.5% in 2018 to being the only real viable alternative to Trump despite his many fuckups and missteps.  If he can figure out a way to slink out during primary season and make some deals, he can still spend 2027 & 2028 on a "listening tour" and raising money for November 2028.  But I mean, such an arrangement can't be made for literally another 12 months.  And at this rate, he's gonna be attacking the Hialeah Hooters and Jimmy Buffet and the Daytona 500 because he's just so easily triggered.  

the gas thing: GF's sister lives in Coral Gables, and literally couldn't find gas to make weekly visit to very elderly mom in Boynton. 

We are headed to that shithole state next week for a 16 day stay, mostly in the keys.  I'm sure I will enjoy it, but yech. 

Edited by Gil Bang

1 hour ago, YGIFS said:

Would he really go back to the House though?  Unless it was under the guise of some "I drained the swamps of Florida, and I'll do it again in D.C."  I mean, he has the boots to do the work, that much we know.  I know he wouldn't stoop to a lower office within the borders of Florida with AG though. 

He's got to do something - he'll have been out of office 18 months by the time 2028 election has rolled around and the way this news cycle is and how elections are playing out, unless you're a Donald Trump, you better have some kind of job that keeps you in the spotlight.  A House seat would allow him to generate headlines much like fellow Florida Man Gaetz as well as honorary Florida Man MTG. The only good thing for him in 2028 is that Trump won't be running, and Ted Cruz, Greg Abbott, etc., are all non-starters.  GOP primary in Iowa, etc. is liable to have 10 Republicans who don't get people excited.

1 hour ago, YGIFS said:

His biggest problem isn't that he's termed out in 2026.  It's that he'll never be in the news cycle this much ever again for the rest of his life.  Most of it's bad, but still---he went from barely winning by 0.5% in 2018 to being the only real viable alternative to Trump despite his many fuckups and missteps. 

That's just it - he will never get this much media attention again.  I'm actually starting to wonder if he's completely finished because he got too much attention for all of the wrong reasons, whether it's Trump mocking him or Disney mocking him.  He has looked like such a fucking idiot over the past few weeks, that it's almost like Michael Dukakis fucking up and ruining his national profile, except Michael Dukakis could still go back and finish his term as governor, and then go on to a respectable academic career as well as Ye Olde Elder Statesman role, endorsing various people out of Massachusetts. 

1 hour ago, YGIFS said:

If he can figure out a way to slink out during primary season and make some deals, he can still spend 2027 & 2028 on a "listening tour" and raising money for November 2028.  But I mean, such an arrangement can't be made for literally another 12 months.  And at this rate, he's gonna be attacking the Hialeah Hooters and Jimmy Buffet and the Daytona 500 because he's just so easily triggered.  

Haley, Pompeo, etc. ain't exactly able to do much these days.  Come 2027, he'll be just an angry little man with no ability to continue fucking with Floridians and generating the would-be MAGA loving headlines that he is now.

And if a Democrat were to win the Florida gubernatorial election in 2026, he is absolutely toast.

10 minutes ago, TheStoicPaisano said:

Oil Can Boyd >>>>> Gas Can DeSantis

Imagine being in a hugely populated swatch of SE Florida between Canaveral and Miami...you get a text at 4:45am.  You think it's a friend or relative telling you they've found a gas station opening at 5am with fuel.  But nope, it's your Governor telling you he is going to kill something called 'woke'.  

6 minutes ago, DigglerontheHoof said:

I keep reading where he's termed out in 26.  Am I the only one who thinks he's looking for every fascist trick in the book to make sure he doesn't get termed out in 26?  The authoritarian bend in him is strong. 

Good news and bad.  I could see him trying this so he can stay relevant.  And his party controls 70% on the nose of both chambers.  But Florida has several more ways to propose amendments for a vote than Texas.  It's goofy as shit, 'cause you know---Florida.  The main way is 60% of both chambers propose.  Even with a slight 'D' lean in 2024 there as far as winning back just a handful of seats, that'll be tough but he could pull it off even with a few defections. 

But the ballot measure requires a higher bar than most other states, 60% instead of 50%+1.  It'd be a special election item called for which means, even though he got 59% in 2022, he'd have to get even more people to come out for some amendments election in an off-year.  That's really tough to do even in Florida.  He needs just 50%+1 from the voters to call for a constitutional convention, again not hard to do because turnout will be so low for that vote.  But it kicks up to 60% for any amendment proposed from that convention or from the 60% of both chambers to actually go into effect for November 2026.  He'd also have to time it correctly so it doesn't look retaliatory for losing, or pouting, or a weak flex, etc.  But he also won't have much time if he drops out in Spring/Summer of 2024.  He's gotta go home, call a special session, get everybody back, drum up the 60% among any dissenters in his party.  Then take the required months to get it on the ballot for voters, call the special election, campaign the hell out of it, and hope for the best in likely a November 2025 election.  Barely a year to do all that is not nothing.  The whole process takes even longer if say his party loses a few Tallahassee seats in 2024 and so he takes the route of letting 50% of Floridians approve the amendment to go to a statewide vote from convention.  That's more of a layup because of turnout (turnout for the amendment itself will be much higher).  But between that in-between vote and the convention itself, that adds a lot of extra time he won't have.  

tl;dr-if he wants to do this as a failsafe plan.  He actually needs to start on it before primary season.  And you know who is gonna jump all over that signal of fear. 

24 minutes ago, TheStoicPaisano said:

Oil Can Boyd >>>>> Gas Can DeSantis

This bullshit woke me up last night. I was already having trouble sleeping and had just fell back to sleep.  I don't know who messed that up, but fuck them.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Haha 1

36 minutes ago, Thrawn said:

This bullshit woke me up last night. I was already having trouble sleeping and had just fell back to sleep.  I don't know who messed that up, but fuck them.

They got us good too.  Turn off Always Play Sound in Emergency Alerts which will not use sound when in silent mode

IMG_0152.jpeg

IMG_0481.jpeg

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, DigglerontheHoof said:

I keep reading where he's termed out in 26.  Am I the only one who thinks he's looking for every fascist trick in the book to make sure he doesn't get termed out in 26?  The authoritarian bend in him is strong. 

I’ve wondered about that but I’m not sure a guy with presidential aspirations would pull a Putin just to extend his term as Governor. He’s already trying to change Florida’s “resign-to-run” law which would force him to resign as Governor before he could run for President in 2024. Would he change that law, then change the law limiting him to two consecutive terms as Governor only to run for President mid-term in 2028? Or would he decide he wants to be Florida Governor for life? That would be a lot harder than just getting a third consecutive term and besides, who wants to be Florida Governor for life?So if he did try to gain a third consecutive term as Governor we’d have to assume he was only doing it to keep his presidential hopes alive. I think that would be pretty transparent and I don’t think he’d get the support he’d need to pull it off.

4 hours ago, Thrawn said:

not as bad as waking up on vacation in Hawaii and reading a text that nuclear missiles are headed your way. that was fucking nuts

• Hook 'Em 1

16 minutes ago, Longhorn_Fan68 said:

not as bad as waking up on vacation in Hawaii and reading a text that nuclear missiles are headed your way. that was fucking nuts

Damn.  Yeah, that would suck. On the bright side, at least you were in Hawaii.  

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1

34 minutes ago, Grade of D as in David said:

If you didn't use that as an excuse to get "one last blowjob" from your wife that's on you.

unfortunately I was single at the time and on a vacay with my fam. so I woulda had to run up and down the beach looking for someone. not exactly a dignified way to be when you're about to be ionized

• Haha 4

1 hour ago, Longhorn_Fan68 said:

so I woulda had to run up and down the beach looking for someone. not exactly a dignified way to be when you're about to be ionized

You're not James Bond or anything.  "Look honey, I can be balls deep in you and we can go out with a bang, or we can go out like they did in Melancholia where nobody is happy."

kirsten dunst art GIF by Tech Noir

1 hour ago, Longhorn_Fan68 said:

unfortunately I was single at the time and on a vacay with my fam. so I woulda had to run up and down the beach looking for someone. not exactly a dignified way to be when you're about to be ionized

You miss every shot you don't take

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Haha 2

8 minutes ago, Horn Under a Bad Sign said:

In short, said Trott, “I think he’s an asshole. I don’t think he cares about people.”

Republicans are realizing that this guy is Ted Cruz 2.0, except with the baggage of the Kennedy assassination.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

These should be Disney's next moves:

1.  Announce a "Florida Excessive Regulation Surcharge" on all Disney World tickets effective immediately.  Include a pamphlet  that explains this surcharge is necessary secondary to recent changes made by the FL governor and legislature that have increased costs and uncertainty.  Explain that this surcharge will be rescinded once the excessive regulation has been resolved.

2.  Announce an immediate stop to the selling of Florida Resident discounted passes and tickets for WDW.  Again explain that this is due to recent excessive regulation and uncertainty that makes this perk provided to FL no longer feasible.  Florida residents will now need to pay full price for their season passes and tickets just like everyone else.  Again, explain that this perk will be revisited once the over regulation/uncertainty caused by the FL governor was been resolved.   

There's just something about him.

Trump is awful. The fact he isn't in jail for January 6th and wasn't impeached is unfathomable to me. I can't stand the guy. He literally tried to subvert democracy. But I can also see that he at least has some charisma. He can be funny. I don't agree, but I can at least see why some people would like him.

DeSantis is just flat unlikeable to me. Voice, attitude, look, a mixture of it all... I don't know. It's just a completely different feel in my dislike that I can't explain.

I'm not the only one that feels that way, right?

3 minutes ago, Horn Dog said:

1.  Announce a "Florida Excessive Regulation Surcharge" on all Disney World tickets effective immediately.  Include a pamphlet  that explains this surcharge is necessary secondary to recent changes made by the FL governor and legislature that have increased costs and uncertainty.  Explain that this surcharge will be rescinded once the excessive regulation has been resolved.

2.  Announce an immediate stop to the selling of Florida Resident discounted passes and tickets for WDW.  Again explain that this is due to recent excessive regulation and uncertainty that makes this perk provided to FL no longer feasible.  Florida residents will now need to pay full price for their season passes and tickets just like everyone else.  Again, explain that this perk will be revisited once the over regulation/uncertainty caused by the FL governor was been resolved.   

Good thing you aren't Bob Iger.

6 minutes ago, Horn Dog said:

Orrrrr do nothing and let your lawyers and lobbyists handle things. They're not going to piss off Florida residents. 

• Hook 'Em 1

15 minutes ago, FirstTimeCaller said:

DeSantis is just flat unlikeable to me. Voice, attitude, look, a mixture of it all... I don't know. It's just a completely different feel in my dislike that I can't explain.

Good thing you aren't Bob Iger.

None of Benito Mussolini, Nicolae Ceaușescu, and Walter Ulbricht were particularly charismatic and video friendly, but all of them were longtime dictators.

1 hour ago, FirstTimeCaller said:

Trump is awful. The fact he isn't in jail for January 6th and wasn't impeached is unfathomable to me. I can't stand the guy. He literally tried to subvert democracy. But I can also see that he at least has some charisma. He can be funny. I don't agree, but I can at least see why some people would like him.

I agree with your sentiments. This is why dOTarD will win the nomination.

1 hour ago, FirstTimeCaller said:

Yep.  And the man does not know how to read the room (or rather the state in this case).

I've used this gif before in CR, but it describes politicians like DeSantis - they don't realize that they are in the process of fucking around and finding out.

FewMildAustraliankelpie-max-1mb.gif

the gas thing: GF's sister lives in Coral Gables, and literally couldn't find gas to make weekly visit to very elderly mom in Boynton. 

We are headed to that shithole state next week for a 16 day stay, mostly in the keys.  I'm sure I will enjoy it, but yech. 

Once you get south of Homestead you’re not really in Florida anymore.
  • Hook 'Em 1

There is no way Ron can win the presidency, so I was kinda hoping he would win the primary and make Trump go third party. It would destroy the Republicans to split like that, but I don't think Ron is smart enough to make it that far. He might not even make it to the starting line at this point. What a complete dumbass. 

• Hook 'Em 5

4 hours ago, GopherRock said:

None of Benito Mussolini, Nicolae Ceaușescu, and Walter Ulbricht were particularly charismatic and video friendly, but all of them were longtime dictators.

Nixon probably beats JFK without TV

• Hook 'Em 1