Sen. Feinstein dies at age 90

Gil Bang

5 minutes ago, Serak The Preparer said:

If Gavin has not had her replacement selected for the last several months then he is incredibly incompetent, and for all of his faults, I don't think that is one. Maybe replacement isn't announced today out of respect but I would be really surprised if not announced by Monday. This event isn't exactly a shocker.

Yeah. He’s got a wandering dick and unlimited ambition, but he isn’t stupid. 

Yeah, if he puts Porter or another member of the U.S. House, there's still 60+% of their term left, so that would validate a special election.  Feinstein's term is a Class I Senator, meaning her term barely has 20% left on it so somebody would just finish it out on Governor authority.  If Feinstein had just won again in 2022, or even back in 2020...would certainly warrant a special election.  

As already stated exhaustively, whoever it is will stay put until January of 2025, 15 more months.  But they need to be in D.C., on the floor, and in committee by this time next week or shit's gonna be beyond sideways.

Newsom promised to appoint an African American woman.  It would be hard to go against what he promised without pissing off a very important voting bloc.  He reiterated this promise back to March on MSBC

Lee - most unlikely, puts the thumb on the primary scale and pisses off Porter/Schiff supporters
Cohen/Breed - both pretty young, probably don't want to just sit in a seat for 15 months and hand it off to someone else this early in their careers.  Cohen was just elected as state controller in 2022
Bass - was just elected mayor of LA last year, so probably doesn't want to give that up already
Weber - appointed to replace Padilla as SOS when he was appointed to Harris' seat, and was elected to a full term as SOS in 2022. She's 75
Maxine Waters - idk, fuck it, she's 85 and might want to finish off her illustrious career in the Senate and ride off into retirement. 

• Hook 'Em 1

8 minutes ago, chainsaw said:

Definitely won't be Porter. I hope whoever he picks is in their 20s and from a safe district.

No Person shall be a Senator who shall not have attained to the Age of thirty Years, and been nine Years a Citizen of the United States, and who shall not, when elected, be an Inhabitant of that State for which he shall be chosen. [U.S. Constitution, Article I, section 3, clause 3]

• Hook 'Em 2

2 minutes ago, Biff Tannen said:

One of her "spokespeople" on NPR said she had a "deeply personal reason" for not retiring.  He then explained that this "deeply personal reason" was that she didn't know what else to do with herself.

Sounds deeply selfish to me.

I DONT GET IT.

I don't want to work at 34, let alone 90. What do you do with yourself as a retired Senator? 

Write a book, get paid to speak, appear on TV to pontificate, lobby, spend time with your family? 

• Hook 'Em 5
  • Drool 1

Just now, Disco Strangler said:

No Person shall be a Senator who shall not have attained to the Age of thirty Years, and been nine Years a Citizen of the United States, and who shall not, when elected, be an Inhabitant of that State for which he shall be chosen. [U.S. Constitution, Article I, section 3, clause 3]

Fetuses are more than human. The founding fathers intended the word "Age" to include time spent as a fetus.

• Rage+1 1

Just now, chainsaw said:

Please, nobody in their 70s or 80s.

Why? This person is likely just sitting in the seat until January 2025.  What younger politician is going to say yes to a 15 month warm body stay in the Senate, after resigning whatever office they currently hold? 

• Hook 'Em 3

3 minutes ago, chainsaw said:

Please, nobody in their 70s or 80s.

I understand your sentiment, but in this particular case it probably should be someone old as fuck. There's several heavyweights already in the race for this spot in 2024, and Newsome won't want to tip the scales. His best course of action is to appoint someone who is happy to take the seat for 14 months and then ride off into the sunset.

10 minutes ago, Js1 said:

I DONT GET IT.

I don't want to work at 34, let alone 90. What do you do with yourself as a retired Senator? 

Write a book, get paid to speak, appear on TV to pontificate, lobby, spend time with your family? 

Or just drink a few bottles of Pinot everyday while sitting on your porch making fun of people who walk by. That sounds way more fun that being a senator.

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, tokamak said:

I'd bet anyone here one crisp U.S. dollar that the Republicans are going to refuse to seat a replacement on Judiciary.

They refused a temporary substitute - Dems wanted a different Senator to take her spot on judiciary. I don’t think they can refuse to seat an appointed replacement for Feinstein, who would likely just take over her committee spots 

• Hook 'Em 1

42 minutes ago, Bateshorn said:

Yeah. He’s got a wandering dick and unlimited ambition, but he isn’t stupid. 

40 minutes ago, Pescado_Rojo said:

"Wandering Dick and Unlimited Ambition" are headlining a Bluegrass jam band festival summer 2024. 

Whereas "Meandering Dick and Meager Ambition" was my academic plan when I was on the 40 acres.  I accomplished my plan.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1

9 minutes ago, Js1 said:

They refused a temporary substitute - Dems wanted a different Senator to take her spot on judiciary. I don’t think they can refuse to seat an appointed replacement for Feinstein, who would likely just take over her committee spots 

No, they can. They've been downplaying the possibility, but this is going to be Merrick Garland 2.0. Democrats are all like "nah, they wouldn't do that, it's totally against tradition". Because the Democrats are idiots.

Here's a NYTimes article from late June: https://www.nytimes.com/2023/06/29/us/politics/dianne-feinstein-senate.html

1 minute ago, Snake Diggity said:

Replacement should be:

black

woman

not running in the primary

between age 50 and 75

not a current member of Congress

Newsome painted himself a narrow lane for his pick, he better already have the person lined up.

Tanned, rested, and ready:

Spoiler

image.thumb.jpeg.1731db470ae565eaeb756ab271e1dd0f.jpeg

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1
  • Drool 1

17 minutes ago, tokamak said:

I'd bet anyone here one crisp U.S. dollar that the Republicans are going to refuse to seat a replacement on Judiciary.

That's 100% going to happen. No more judicial appointments and the government continues to grind to a halt because of republican obstructionism. 

• Hook 'Em 1

37 minutes ago, Disco Strangler said:

i feel an amendment in the works...

No Person shall be a Senator who shall not have attained to the Age of thirty Years is not old as fuck, and been nine  70Years a Citizen of the United States, and who shall not, when elected, be an Inhabitant of that State for which he shall be chosen. [U.S. Constitution, Article I, section 3, clause 3]

Edited by yoladu

48 minutes ago, tokamak said:

O.M.G.

This is a real opportunity for the GOPs to dig a little deeper in the how-low-can-they-go experiment.

Might be time to put banana peels all ove the floor around Mitch's office. Maybe some near a stairway.

Swine.

• Hook 'Em 1

Fucking Boomers.  The generation of "nope, no, no fucking way we can let go of anything and pass the torch."  They're the fucking worst.

And yeah, this is a shitload more than a FN to her legacy.  It's an entire chapter, and it's a really, really bad one.  You ran for re-election for a 6 year term when you were EIGHTY FIVE FUCKING YEARS OLD.  No.  Just, NO.  LET.  THE FUCK.  GO.

At 85, I assure you that I will not be taking on a new 6-year project.  I'll be focused on popping a little blue pill and having a fun weekend with my 35 yr old mistress and my 85 year old wife, because I sure as shit don't know if I'll live to see the next weekend.  But if I DO live until that next weekend....gonna do the pill and mistress thing again.  Because you should enjoy your golden years.

Edited by Brisketexan
  • Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Js1 said:

I believe this is correct. 

• Hook 'Em 2

2 minutes ago, Bateshorn said:

I believe this is correct. 

I’ll take your word for it bc you’re the Capitol Hill guy. Im sure the GOP will try but that’s setting a dangerous precedent with McConnell’s mini strokes and Grassley being 130

3 minutes ago, Js1 said:

I’ll take your word for it bc you’re the Capitol Hill guy. Im sure the GOP will try but that’s setting a dangerous precedent with McConnell’s mini strokes and Grassley being 130

Part of it has to do with the fact that the Senate, push come to shove, is ultimately a majority rules institution if the majority wants it to be.  It’s tyranny of the minority by tradition and self imposed rules.  You can always go “nuclear” and overrule the ruling of the chair. So ultimately, if the Democrats wanted to, they could do it.