A story about a pathetic man's downfall

Francisco 2.0

3 minutes ago, Dbeasy said:

I can't bear to read this thread, because the thought of this jackass potentially assuming the Presidency again makes me ill to my stomach. But, with all of the indictments of the last several months, but him still leading in the polls (which is unfathomable to me), is he really going to win the nomination, and potentially the Presidency?

No.

• Hook 'Em 1

23 hours ago, Neonmoon said:

Another way to put it. If poor people are given vouchers to afford Private School, the private school will raise tuition so they can't afford Private School. The whole purpose of Private School is not to get a better education (although that's the outward rationalization), it's solely designed to keep rich kids away from poor kids. 

21 hours ago, Willfully Horn said:

As someone who went to private schools, you succinctly stated the reason my wife and I sent our children to public schools. 

Edited to say our first daughter just received her UT diploma, and our youngest started her UT education yesterday.

This is overstating...quite a bit. My wife works at a private school. As a result, my son goes to a private school. The difference in education is...night and day to where we're zoned, and we're zoned to a good magnet elementary school. Starting with the number of teachers to kids, resources for kids, availability of counselors and focus on mental health. And there's a ton of diversity, as the school gives out lots of scholarships every year. Like I'm surprised at the diversity. All employees have an opportunity to send their kids to school there. 

Both of you are painting with a brush that is entirely too broad, imo. Although I am certain there are plenty of schols like you described, they're not all like that. That being said my kid is never going to fucking Kinkaid. 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Haha 1

16 minutes ago, Dbeasy said:

I can't bear to read this thread, because the thought of this jackass potentially assuming the Presidency again makes me ill to my stomach. But, with all of the indictments of the last several months, but him still leading in the polls (which is unfathomable to me), is he really going to win the nomination, and potentially the Presidency?

Dude, you knew the answer to that question 2 years ago. You've just been deluding yourself. 

58 minutes ago, Goredho said:

It needs to be a Coen Brothers movie.  A political version of "Raising Arizona" with all of its crime, absurdity and stupidity and the 2020 election being the kidnapped baby.

Except Anton Chigurh makes a cameo at the end to kill everyone.

please-do-go-on.gif

1 hour ago, Macanudo said:

"And this other one, we see a flashback mad cap episode to how Maddie over slept, spilled coffee on herself at the cafe and was late to work so she wasn't in the building when the 1st plane hit.  Hilarity also ensues." 

My cousin's husband (RIP/fuck ALS) was a commodities broker on the same floor where they filmed Trading Places. He was late to work on 9/11 and was standing on the sidewalk outside the WTC when the first plane hit the first tower on the other side from where he was standing. He saw debris from the plane/building on the sidewalk before he hightailed it Uptown to get out of Manhattan. He said he saw something amid the debris that looked like an airline uniform of some sort. Fucking eery shit. Oh, and the bomb that went off in the parking garage in the 90's was near where he would park his car on days he would drive. He took the train that day.

• Hook 'Em 3

37 minutes ago, Dbeasy said:

But, with all of the indictments of the last several months, but him still leading in the polls (which is unfathomable to me), is he really going to win the nomination, and potentially the Presidency?

He will most certainly win the nomination, unless he keels over dead, and maybe even then. The indications will completely solidify his position in the GOP primary.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Dbeasy said:

I'm with you and here's where I'm at: he'll likely win the GOP nomination but lose the general. The "blue wall" is strong enough in swing states where he'll not only lose the vote, but then won't be able to subvert the certification process like he came very close to doing in 2020. Recent Supreme Court ruling and indictments have given me hope that the 2020 fuckery won't get as far in 2024 (because they will definitely still try).

This all assumes the economy/inflation/gas prices stay reasonable, and Biden is able to run. If either one of those change I'll start getting really worried. But ultimately the mere fact that Trump will be the nominee gets us way too close to the reality of him taking office again, which is fucked up in itself. So this is how I'm able to take a deep breath and not worry myself into insanity. 

59 minutes ago, SydneyCarton said:

This is overstating...quite a bit. My wife works at a private school. As a result, my son goes to a private school. The difference in education is...night and day to where we're zoned, and we're zoned to a good magnet elementary school. Starting with the number of teachers to kids, resources for kids, availability of counselors and focus on mental health. And there's a ton of diversity, as the school gives out lots of scholarships every year. Like I'm surprised at the diversity. All employees have an opportunity to send their kids to school there. 

Both of you are painting with a brush that is entirely too broad, imo. Although I am certain there are plenty of schols like you described, they're not all like that. That being said my kid is never going to fucking Kinkaid. 

I am guessing that private school you are talking about is not affiliated with any religious institutions right ?

1 hour ago, SydneyCarton said:

All of this. Plus, where I live, everyone loves to make a big stink about how they send their kids to public schools "for the diversity" and so their kids don't "grow up in a bubble. Which sure, that makes sense. But the theory falls apart when you see that these people all bought $1m+ homes to live in the districts with the 10/10 schools, and which are usually 70% white, 25% Asian, 5% other.

Edit: posrep for Kinkaid hate

Edited by Foosters
  • Hook 'Em 3

1 minute ago, Steamboat1874 said:

I am guessing that private school you are talking about is not affiliated with any religious institutions right ?

Tuition for the top private schools here in Dallas is high enough that a measly little $5000-$7000 voucher will not make them attainable to the non-rich masses, most likely, so I wouldn't necessarily think they will raise tuition to keep the undesirables out per se. But I believe most of them do offer scholarships -- that's how Spieth went to Jesuit.

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, C-Man said:

My cousin's husband (RIP/fuck ALS) was a commodities broker on the same floor where they filmed Trading Places. He was late to work on 9/11 and was standing on the sidewalk outside the WTC when the first plane hit the first tower on the other side from where he was standing. He saw debris from the plane/building on the sidewalk before he hightailed it Uptown to get out of Manhattan. He said he saw something amid the debris that looked like an airline uniform of some sort. Fucking eery shit. Oh, and the bomb that went off in the parking garage in the 90's was near where he would park his car on days he would drive. He took the train that day.

As an addendum to this -- I hadn't thought about this in quite some time and memory is a little fuzzy -- my cousin's husband HAD driven to work on 9/11 and was outside the building talking with a friend or fellow seat-holder when the plane hit. After getting his bearings he tried to re-enter the WTC so he could go down and get his car and drive home but was denied access to the parking garage like everybody else trying to leave. At that point he headed Uptown, made it to Grand Central and took the commuter train home to Connecticut.

• Hook 'Em 1

Tuition for the top private schools here in Dallas is high enough that a measly little $5000-$7000 voucher will not make them attainable to the non-rich masses, most likely, so I wouldn't necessarily think they will raise tuition to keep the undesirables out per se. But I believe most of them do offer scholarships -- that's how Spieth went to Jesuit.

This. The whole voucher thing really plays into the aspirational politics of the right. “Vote for me! I’ll make you rich (like me) and you can send your kids to a private school (like me)!” Meanwhile, what do you think that private school is going to do when you and all the other folks who bought into the scheme show up with their vouchers? Erect more barriers to entry, that’s what.

1 hour ago, Exposition said:

I'm with you and here's where I'm at: he'll likely win the GOP nomination but lose the general. The "blue wall" is strong enough in swing states where he'll not only lose the vote, but then won't be able to subvert the certification process like he came very close to doing in 2020. Recent Supreme Court ruling and indictments have given me hope that the 2020 fuckery won't get as far in 2024 (because they will definitely still try).

This all assumes the economy/inflation/gas prices stay reasonable, and Biden is able to run. If either one of those change I'll start getting really worried. But ultimately the mere fact that Trump will be the nominee gets us way too close to the reality of him taking office again, which is fucked up in itself. So this is how I'm able to take a deep breath and not worry myself into insanity. 

Thus reminds me of the time when we held out hope that RGB would live to inauguration day.

• Like 1
  • Rage+1 2

14 minutes ago, Jiggy-Z said:

Thus reminds me of the time when we held out hope that RGB would live to inauguration day.

I personally don't think Biden is that important, just o put this in perspective Fetterman had a stroke and could have died and he still beat Oz, Trump is just radioactive, people vote against him not for any Dem.

2 hours ago, Steamboat1874 said:

Oh, it absolutely is affiliated with a religious institution. But them's the breaks. 

Following up on this post as something occured to me: 

I can think of another example of a disparity in education between private and public schools, in this case specifically relgious schools:

At my son's school, he will actually learn about evolution and that the civil war was not about state's rights, and that the United States was not founded by the principles of Moses. You can't get that kind of quality history in a public school. 

Try That In A Small Town - Jason Aldean (HD Audio) - YouTube

1 hour ago, linux said:

I personally don't think Biden is that important, just o put this in perspective Fetterman had a stroke and could have died and he still beat Oz, Trump is just radioactive, people vote against him not for any Dem.

Exactly. Biden was EASILY my least favorite candidate of all on the Dem side in 2020. Didnt matter, I would vote for his turds before I'd vote for Trump. Trump certainly isn't winning over new  independent voters at a pace nearly fast enough to match all the olds who voted for him and then died of the 'rona.

The GQP has no way out. They will run Trump like they did in 2020, he'll lose more handily than he did in 2020, and they will attempt to cheat/fuck up the electoral process and just install him as President, like they did in 2020. It ain't much of a plan, but its all they got. If its not Trump on the ticket, but some choad like Ramaswamy, their turnout goes to shit. Hell, a good 75% of those rubes will probably write-in fat Donnie no matter who the nominee is. 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

Oh, it absolutely is affiliated with a religious institution. But them's the breaks. 

24 minutes ago, SydneyCarton said:

Following up on this post as something occured to me: 

I can think of another example of a disparity in education between private and public schools, in this case specifically relgious schools:

At my son's school, he will actually learn about evolution and that the civil war was not about state's rights, and that the United States was not founded by the principles of Moses. You can't get that kind of quality history in a public school. 

Try That In A Small Town - Jason Aldean (HD Audio) - YouTube

I’m pleased you have your kids in a good school. And it would be nice to think private schools have changed, and yours is not an outlier. Your second post argues the contrary, imo. The right wing nutbars, who made you critique possible, call themselves Christian.

And it makes me rage that any public school wouldn’t be acceptable. Luckily, the schools my kids were more than acceptable.

The high school that I went to taught me that a new computer wing trumps code of conduct violations. 

3 minutes ago, Willfully Horn said:

I’m pleased you have your kids in a good school. And it would be nice to think private schools have changed, and yours is not an outlier. Your second post argues the contrary, imo. The right wing nutbars, who made you critique possible, call themselves Christian.

And it makes me rage that any public school wouldn’t be acceptable. Luckily, the schools my kids were more than acceptable.

The high school that I went to taught me that a new computer wing trumps code of conduct violations. 

Specifically, which part of my second post contradicts my other? The one where I admit there are shitty private schools, fuck Kincaid? Yeah, Kincaid is full of the most entited rich kid pieces of shit imaginable, and I have zero desire to place my son around that. If that wasn't what you were referencing, please elaborate.

I fail to see what the Right Wing nutbars who run this entire fucking state have to do with my post comparing public and private school. It is of the HIGHEST level of irony that I point out that for kids to learn about evolution, they need to go to a religious school (i'm broad brushing here). Additionally, don't you find it wildly ironic that while these nutbars have pushed their fucking bullshit into the public schools, it's many religious private schools that have much, much more historical and mainstream curricula? Because I think it's pretty fucked up. 

You know what classroom isn't legally required and does not have the 10 commandments posted after this last legislative session? My kid's classroom. I share your rage at what has been done to public schools in this state. It's infuriating, as is the basic premise that the greatest resources we have as a country and species is the education of people. And yet here we are, and while I know plenty of public schools are good schools, as a parent I'm thrilled my son will learn in a place where the teachers are supported, not overworked, not given massive classloads, supports mental health, and teaches kindness every day. For that...I'll tolerate that he has bible class once or twice a week. 

It's fucked up that I feel fortunate to have that, becuase everyone should have that. All schools should be like that. But they're not. 

8 minutes ago, safe sex said:

If Trump properties really gave profits to the Treasury Department, it should be pretty easy to produce some receipts, yes?

Trump charities don't even give money to charities. We all know their businesses aren't giving away profits. 

• Like 1

Five people have won election to Congress, despite being dead

There don't seem to be examples of people who have died, been on the ballot themselves, and lost. In other words: Dead people appear to be batting 1.000 in their Congressional races. Nonetheless, we do not recommend it as a campaign strategy.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/the-fix/wp/2014/10/01/five-people-have-won-election-to-congress-despite-being-dead/

2 hours ago, SydneyCarton said:

Specifically, which part of my second post contradicts my other?

That the failures of history curriculums in public schools, which were instigated by so called Christians, can be avoided, generally speaking, at Christian schools. I say this knowing there are many Christian denominations that aren’t burdened by the idiocy that underscores removing actual history from history classes. I have no doubt the best Christian private schools teach actual history. I was thinking about the wackadoodle private schools that are springing up like weeds, and, you know, brush width, after reading this:

I can think of another example of a disparity in education between private and public schools, in this case specifically relgious schools:”

15 minutes ago, Willfully Horn said:

That the failures of history curriculums in public schools, which were instigated by so called Christians, can be avoided, generally speaking, at Christian schools. I say this knowing there are many Christian denominations that aren’t burdened by the idiocy that underscores removing actual history from history classes. I have no doubt the best Christian private schools teach actual history. I was thinking about the wackadoodle private schools that are springing up like weeds, and, you know, brush width, after reading this:

I can think of another example of a disparity in education between private and public schools, in this case specifically relgious schools:”

This is a great bit of clarification/thing to remember... There are a lot of religious private schools in the country that do a great job teaching a well rounded and rigorous curriculum. Specifically, I'm thinking of the long legacy that Catholic high schools have had in our country, as well as the Jewish and Islamic schools that are foundational and well respected in their communities. 

But, as you said, those ain't the "Sacred Sons of Onan Academy" that just opened up in the abandoned Blockbuster.

• Hook 'Em 4

2 hours ago, linux said:

Five people have won election to Congress, despite being dead

There don't seem to be examples of people who have died, been on the ballot themselves, and lost. In other words: Dead people appear to be batting 1.000 in their Congressional races. Nonetheless, we do not recommend it as a campaign strategy.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/the-fix/wp/2014/10/01/five-people-have-won-election-to-congress-despite-being-dead/

Imagine how the loser feels to suck so bad they lose to a dead guy

7 hours ago, Exposition said:

Trump has spent so much time saying that the elections are rigged against him, that a decent number of his followers probably believe it and won’t bother showing up to vote.

11 hours ago, SydneyCarton said:

is it possible for a non legacy to get into Kincaid ?

22 hours ago, Willfully Horn said:

Yeah, that makes sense. I'm not sitting here pretending to have a wide knowleddge of what I expect to soon be a host of shitpile charter schools to popping up and their shit curricula, but I can certainly speak to about a dozen private schools in the Houston area that are well regarded and have very rigorous, fact based educational coverage. I don't think it's a 1-1 escape, per se, versus public schools, but I do find there is a lot of overlap between "religious" and "more science based education" these days. Maybe I'm just familiar with the ones that are part of the NAIS, and therefore have some kind of governance outside of the individual boards? I dunno. 

Of course, the shit I hear about the fucking teachers and curriculum at Second Baptist School....hooo boy. That certainly falls under your canopy of "This is an organization of insane people, run by insane people, and these kids are going to be fucked up for life, therapy at best, serial killers at worst."

Edited by SydneyCarton
  • Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, tx 3 putt said:

is it possible for a non legacy to get into Kincaid ?

9 hours ago, Born to Run said:

I seen it.
Not sure what it costs, but guessing "Flys private mostly but doesn't own a jet" as the minimum.

That that guy said. Money can buy you anything. There were a couple high level D1 college athletes that came through Kincaid the last 5 or so years. I doubt they were legacies...

13 hours ago, atomheartbevo said:

Trump has spent so much time saying that the elections are rigged against him, that a decent number of his followers probably believe it and won’t bother showing up to vote.

There's that unfounded optimism!

2 hours ago, SydneyCarton said:

That that guy said. Money can buy you anything. There were a couple high level D1 college athletes that came through Kincaid the last 5 or so years. I doubt they were legacies...

40 years ago, I played middle school (private catholic school) football with a teammate who was a true phenom -- best athlete at every sport we played.  He actually did end up playing D-1 baseball.  He went to Kinkaid for high school.  Word was that he got a full tuition scholarship, AND a Mazda RX-7 promised for delivery when he turned 16.  

15 hours ago, TwiceHorn said:

Man, St. Marks is full of rich dipshits, but it's an excellent school, no two ways about it.  

Can confirm. If your 7th grade classmate's mom has to tell him your parents are trash, it softens the blow to know she's classy as fuck.

Edited by Bozo_Casanova

3 hours ago, Brisketexan said:

Here's my question -- did ANYONE check out Trump's interview with Tucker?  WTF happened there?

I heard a brief clip where Dotard was bragging about how after each indictment, his approval numbers went up. Then I put a gun in my mouth and pulled the trigger. 

• Haha 3