Texas Recruiting Notes 2024: Bags Don't Beat Bankrolls

texifornia

Scruggs on Hudson

Spoiler

Wanted to get some stuff out since I just got back to the car after speaking with Lake Belton five-star Micah Hudson following the Broncos loss to Red Oak.

-He’s visiting Texas Tech this weekend for their game vs Oregon. He’ll go up there Saturday morning and will be back Sunday night.
-Dates are unknown but Hudson will likely take two more official visits to Texas A&M and Alabama with an OV to Texas also potentially on the table.

-Contact between Texas and Hudson has been inconsistent since Hudson cancelled his Texas OV back in June, but in the last few weeks it’s picked back up a little bit
-Hudson gave early signing day as the date for his commitment, I wrote about it a couple weeks ago but that’s been expected.

will have full quotes tomorrow, stay turned for more

• Hook 'Em 1

8 hours ago, KeysPhoneWallet said:

This is tricky, there is momentum in a game and it can swing from one team to another, so then it can be taken or grabbed.

But recruiting is often described as if it is some process, like a horse race between schools. It isn’t, it is just some teenager’s decision. Not really such a thing as momentum in making up your mind about something.

Well said. Momentum in a football game is akin to the initiative in combat. You're setting the tempo and winning while the other side must find a way to end your success and seize the initiative for themselves. 

Sportscasters have seized on rhythm in a similar stupid way. I recall it originally referring to a rhythm passer which I took to mean a QB who is successfully working a passing attack using various routes. Then it was the QB finding the rhythm. Then the moron chorus used it to apply to an entire offensive performance. Why say, "the left side of the OL is doing a great job opening holes to establish the running game" when you can say, "the offense is in/needs to find a rhythm?" The first is a useful observation; the second is so general as to add nothing.

But it's what all the other guys are saying! 

Morons.

If sitting in your living room or, gag, man cave, you use words in these ways, that's fine. You're not being paid. You're watching and talking about the game with friends. The guy on TV should be adding to that experience.

Man, I'm getting preachy.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

10 hours ago, Teryor said:

Scruggs on Hudson

Reveal hidden contents

Wanted to get some stuff out since I just got back to the car after speaking with Lake Belton five-star Micah Hudson following the Broncos loss to Red Oak.

-He’s visiting Texas Tech this weekend for their game vs Oregon. He’ll go up there Saturday morning and will be back Sunday night.
-Dates are unknown but Hudson will likely take two more official visits to Texas A&M and Alabama with an OV to Texas also potentially on the table.

-Contact between Texas and Hudson has been inconsistent since Hudson cancelled his Texas OV back in June, but in the last few weeks it’s picked back up a little bit
-Hudson gave early signing day as the date for his commitment, I wrote about it a couple weeks ago but that’s been expected.

will have full quotes tomorrow, stay turned for more

spacer.png

• Haha 2

17 hours ago, RomaVicta said:

I hate when sports guys learn a new word and wear it out. Momentum is the recruiting word. Grabbing momentum doesn't even make sense. Grab the advantage. Take the lead. Something just to mix it up a little bit.

Coach Prime is this year's broadcast sports idiot mantra. Sportswriters are the dumbest people in the world paid to write. Sportscasters are almost as dumb. Scratch that. They're dumber.

Last week, I heard one color guy take the wisdom voice to say, "When you need a big play you go to your playmakers." They really ought to hire funny people instead of "experts." I heard Romo do part of a game last year, and he was good, but that's the exception. Use Don Meredith as the standard. 

image.gif.6b925eeef52f8e258396e3fdedee3987.gif

1 hour ago, RockyMountainHighHorn said:

Why do I feel like bakers quote when talking about another school sounded way better than what he said about us? He said OSU was his favorite visit and he has the closest relationship with the coaches..

Because they have ... what is the right word for it ... ah, yes - they have momentum.

We simply need to reestablish our rhythm, and all will be well.

5 hours ago, Post Oak said:

Hudson feels like Evan Stewart to me.

Not to me. Stewart was actually committed here for a short time, so it made sense for people to be optimistic about it at one point. All Hudson has done is bullshit Texas and talk bad about them behind their backs. 

People keep trying to talk themselves into it simply because they want a 5 star, but there is no reason to think Hudson ends up here other than blind hope.

• Hook 'Em 2

Twice today on the livestream, Gerry Hamilton indicated Hudson wasn’t a “fit” at Texas, and even said Wingo was their highest priority at receiver. As noted earlier in the thread, there are many dominos tilting in favor of Hudson to Tech: his father played there, he apparently has a girlfriend there (or she will be there at the same time he is) and he has many friends who already attend Tech, including former Lake Belton teammates. Plus, there are the rumblings he’s already committed to Tech, and TT would prefer he just come out and announce it. Barring an extraordinary change in circumstances , he ain’t coming here.

• Like 1
  • Rage+1 1

3 minutes ago, Vito Andolini said:

Twice today on the livestream, Gerry Hamilton indicated Hudson wasn’t a “fit” at Texas, and even said Wingo was their highest priority at receiver. As noted earlier in the thread, there are many dominos tilting in favor of Hudson to Tech: his father played there, he apparently has a girlfriend there (or she will be there at the same time he is) and he has many friends who already attend Tech, including former Lake Belton teammates. Plus, there are the rumblings he’s already committed to Tech, and TT would prefer he just come out and announce it. Barring an extraordinary change in circumstances , he ain’t coming here.

Can't get everybody if you don't take Wingo and Hudson

1 hour ago, Vito Andolini said:

Has anyone asked Gerry if there are any silent commitments since Zina announced?

1 hour ago, TheMailBox357 said:

I haven't been keeping up Nigel Smith's recruitment. Is there a reason he didn't seem to be a priority for UT? I remember he was being talked up as the 2nd best in-state EDGE recruit earlier this year.

He was then he wasn't then he was then he wasn't then he got tired of being slow played. We never seemed super thrilled about him.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

17 hours ago, texifornia said:

He was then he wasn't then he was then he wasn't then he got tired of being slow played. We never seemed super thrilled about him.

I think they think he‘s a tweener and we’re probably less inclined to take developmental prospects unless there’s extenuating circumstances (like there’s a big brother on the team).  Most of our 2nd and 3rd string DL are all going to need snaps and body maturation aside from Finkley.  

• texifornia changed the title to Texas Recruiting Notes 2024: Bags Don't Beat Bankrolls