The US Capitol has been Breached [Action and Developing stories]

immamac

2 hours ago, Pato del Muerto said:

I assume that there’s more than a few reps and senators that won’t vote for impeachment or especially removal for fear of their lives and their families’ lives.  And I can understand that. But they chose to run and accept those positions, which come with that responsibility, and many of them chose to embrace trump after he won the nomination 4 years ago and rode his coattails all the way to the insurrection. 

I think they’re more concerned about their political lives.

• Hook 'Em 1

2 hours ago, staboner said:

gotta think the Bidens and really anyone in DC is fearing for their life. I certainly would be. this sucks man. the rot is everywhere

It’s concerning but they are (and presumably always are) rotating out agents for the new admin. Biden will have SS detail that he’s already familiar with from his time as VP. He trusts them. 

2 hours ago, Lobo said:

Am i the only one that is morbidly curious to see what this Capitol insurrection would look like in Hawaii?  

Also, it will be fun to come up with confusing signage to display for Trumpers here in Austin on the 20th.  Just some fun slogans to make them wonder exactly who to be mad at.  "You're Going the Wrong Way" -or- "Maybe There is Something More" -or- "2021: Yes, It's this Year"  

Why do ask about Hawaii? Did I miss something? 

6 hours ago, horn4life said:

OK... my humor is dark.... really dark.....

I just envisioned these guys naked in Prison with a Trump 2020 hat on... and another naked guy behind them yelling Trump #01, and the guy behind him yelling Trump #02....

So you envisioned aggy yell practice.  Congrats?

• Hook 'Em 1

1 minute ago, Huckleberry said:

Probably something to do with Hawaii's capitol being surrounded by water. 

Well there is a lot of water around the main capitol building (the complex was meant to resemble an island volcano), but it's not surrounded by water. Surprisingly congresspeople don't canoe into their offices. 

Although during an insurrection lots of people in Hawaiian shirts would be mistaken as Proud Boys, and vice versa, so I suppose all bets would be off. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, honolulu horn said:

Well there is a lot of water around the main capitol building (the complex was meant to resemble an island volcano), but it's not surrounded by water. Surprisingly congresspeople don't canoe into their offices. 

Although during an insurrection lots of people in Hawaiian shirts would be mistaken as Proud Boys, and vice versa, so I suppose all bets would be off. 

Well, we also have some of the strictest gun control laws in the nation, and are overwhelmingly Democratic.

1 Republican (out of 25) in the Senate, 4 Republicans (out of 51) in the House.  

Edited by Captain Obvious

2 hours ago, Pato del Muerto said:

Anyone else surprised that Congress wasn’t in the first part of the vaccine rollout so she hadn’t been vaccinated by  1/6?

They did. But they only received the first dose, not the second.  And Coleman Watson is a 75-year-old cancer survivor.  

5 hours ago, Pato del Muerto said:

Bad news guys. Saw on my feed someone posted a 20 minute video of some fatass in his car, and he is warning all patriots to have 2 weeks of supplies because the president will be calling for martial law at any time now.

Damn it is there going to be another run on toilet paper?

3 hours ago, honolulu horn said:

I think he means that it's on an island.

On 1/10/2021 at 11:59 PM, Captainant said:

There is a theory afoot that McConnell, Pence and Graham (and possibly some other Repubs and even Schumer and other Dems) planned this whole fiasco. It was a trap designed to utterly destroy Trump and discredit Trumpism. The Cap police answer to Congress, meaning McConnell, so the part about Sund being declined extra cops makes sense in the context of this conspiracy theory. It also would take down Hawley and Cruz (who is loathed by his own party; not sure about Hawley's standing within the GOP) and it would simply slake their thirst for vengeance. Yes, Lindsey has played the company man for the last four years, but there is no reason to believe he enjoyed it. Trump wrecked McConnell's majority on top of all the other shit he's pulled.

From the link:

The disarray in the American political system, whose name is Trump, is coming to an end, he was Wall Street’s cash cow and now it’s time to dispose of him as he descends into full-on madness. The billionaires, the financial elites, and their political minions fed Trump’s starving giant ego for four years, got what they wanted in tax cuts and deregulation. And now it’s time to move on. This is all accomplished by Mitch McConnell and Mike Pence who have tired of eating Trump’s excrement and set a trap that The Donald walked into blinded by his adoring fans and delusions of grandeur.

While everyone knew for weeks the protest on January six was planned and would likely be raucous, the Capitol Hill police who answer to Congress, which means McConnell, were not put on high alert, pushing past overmatched and outnumbered Capitol Hill police.

Additional police resources were not put in place, even though the mayor of D.C. pleaded for it. And, of course, the protesters marched into Congress almost unimpeded.

McDonald, Graham, and Pence knew it was time to dump Trump, especially after the loss in Georgia, and had already made it clear they would approve the certification of Biden, they needed to find a way to sink Trump to keep their financial and corporate clients happy.

It was a piece of theater that pulled off the real coup that almost everyone wanted, and that’s the end of Trump.

Perhaps even Chuck Schumer was in on it. Credit him with the most exaggerated and ridiculous rhetoric, calling Jan six a day that will live in infamy on the scale of Pearl Harbor,

In fact, the crowds were smaller than expected, and once the order was given to the police to disperse the crowd, it didn’t take all that long to accomplish it.

I’m only going on what I saw on TV, but most of the crowd seemed to be wandering around the halls of Congress like tourists, gaping at the statues. The more militant group seems small, and most of that was pushing and shoving and a few broken windows, although it was reported that a policeman died the next day from injuries suffered in the scuffle. No doubt it seemed terrifying for police officers, staff, and members of Congress, but words like sedition, insurgency, and such are just an attempt to intimidate the members of Congress that were still hitching their wagons to Trump’s grotesque megalomania. Insurrections require guns, sections of the military, not just a crowd of angry people. 

It was clear that after four years of groveling and feeding the call McConnell plan today not to praise Caesar, but to bury him and the mission seems to have been accomplished. Now the leaders of the GOP can continue to build their far-right criminal party with a less insane and perhaps more dangerous leader. And in all likelihood, the Democrats will do very little to make people’s lives significantly better as the main leadership of the party answers to their own set of Wall Street and corporate lords.

And in that way will facilitate the rising from these sort of ashes by the Republican Party. There should be an investigation of the leaders of Congress who allowed this to take place.

Perhaps then the word sedition would be applicable. Even on the grounds of stopping a Covid super spreader event there should have been more security.

The full death toll from all this won’t be known for a few weeks. Of course, Trump should be charged with inciting a riot and perhaps responsibility for five fatalities. But he shouldn’t be in the dock all alone. Yes, impeach him. Use the 25th Amendment, get rid of the malignancy. But it won’t deal with a systemic cancer that eats at American society.

• Like 1
  • Fuck You 1

The assassination of politicians comes soon in this path to destruction of democracy. We're mirroring the Roman Republic's collapse almost to a tee. Long period of time where things function although not nearly as long as Rome's. People start taking it for granted that it will always be this way and the population gets lazy and stupid. Massive corruption hits, assassinations start and Augustus comes along and promises to "Make Rome Great Again". Then it all falls apart, republic gone, and a long period of steady decline in civilization continues. 

We're in that now exacerbated by ironically named Republicans and their willingness to destroy the republic for their own personal gain. We even have our own version of Cato the Younger in Mitch Mcconnell. History says we don't get better during any of our lifetimes. Let's just hope we can at least enjoy the rot slowly and not have a sudden breakdown/destruction event while any of us are still alive. 

• Fuck You 1

3 minutes ago, Wanker Bob said:

Let's just hope we can at least enjoy the rot slowly and not have a sudden breakdown/destruction event while any of us are still alive. 

I'm about to turn 55 and, imo, this is my best case scenario.  I figure I have about 25 years left, at most.  I think we should be a semi-viable republic til then but who the fuck knows. 

Edited by DigglerontheHoof
  • Hook 'Em 1

I'm about to turn 55 and, imo, this is my best case scenario.  I figure I have about 25 years left, at most.  I think we should be a semi-viable republic til then but who the fuck knows. 

Well the vandals have another caravan in the works so things are pretty much on schedule.

7 hours ago, Pato del Muerto said:

Anyone else surprised that Congress wasn’t in the first part of the vaccine rollout so she hadn’t been vaccinated by  1/6?

She got her first shot a couple days prior.  Do we have a definitive list of which congress people where positive at the time?  IIRC, they had a group that were being isolated behind a plexiglass wall so that they could still vote on Speaker; I assume they did the same during the certifications. 

7 hours ago, ChiTownDoc said:

Did you all survive the Kraken? 

Not really. I got banned from my new favorite forum for saying, "She phrased it weirdly, but she's absolutely not wrong" in response to Nancy Pelosi saying that the insurrectionists value whiteness over democracy. Agreeing with Nancy Pelosi is "trolling".

Still hurts.

Tell any sexy women you know that I shouldn't be alone right now.

:(

• Haha 2

9 hours ago, Caver60 said:

it’s gonna get worse, I agree. It’s bad when the people we hope will put this down are mostly complicit. Holy shit.

I realize we are dealing with nuances, but put me down for "I think it will overall get better slowly, but I do think we are due for a few more surprising and tragic events."

I don't think the "complicit" people are going to help, but I think there is enough downside to remaining complicit that the tide will turn in the country as a whole.

10 minutes ago, bad_teammate said:

Not really. I got banned from my new favorite forum for saying, "She phrased it weirdly, but she's absolutely not wrong" in response to Nancy Pelosi saying that the insurrectionists value whiteness over democracy. Agreeing with Nancy Pelosi is "trolling".

Still hurts.

Tell any sexy women you know that I shouldn't be alone right now.

:(

Seriously? You got banned for what you said above? It this txags? During the impeachment and anytime AOC or Ilhan Omar so much as took a breath, I've read some truly nasty things. I never thought to screenshot stuff when I saw it until recently (to post here), but I should've done so. They are very sensitive about the 'racism' label I've noticed. Very. It's kind of weird, you know? Someone calls me a racist, then I might stop and ponder that for a minute and ask "why? what is it that makes you say that?" and then take that information, and again assess it to gain perspective. But they rear up at any mention of the word, whether it is applied to them or not. Except for black people, who they claim are all racist.

Keep up the fight.

2 minutes ago, Mrs Whiggins said:

Seriously? You got banned for what you said above?

Yup.

"Trolling" is kind of a catch-all for admins/mods who are just tired of dealing with the drama my opinions, eagerness for conflict, and rhetorical style cause. I'm very annoying and I sympathize with those who spend volunteer hours dealing with reports and PMs from people who are mad at me.

Very happy to serve my sentence. Wait it out like I always do; here, there, and elsewhere.

But I really need to re-iterate this to all the ladies: I shouldn't be alone right now.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

Honolulu, the point people are making is....   If you get no-flyed while on Oahu, and say, best case scenario, you live on the Big Island, how are you getting home?   And what if you were a dumb enough dingleberry to fly in from Bakersfield or Spokane?

Do we know if the two congresswomen who have tested positive where in the same shelter room?   Both of their statements sound similar.

Edited by Macanudo

We really need to examine the FBI’s choice of words in “armed protesters.” 

That and their continued silence on the Capitol attack doesn’t instill confidence in their role here.  It could look like a veiled call to arms among insurrectionist sympathizers. The FBI is subtlety telling us we are on the verge of civil war but not saying that.

• Hook 'Em 1

Apparently, the terrorist have detailed plans on even when to shoot at these “armed protests” in all states plus DC. 

But the threats are if trump is removed before inauguration. 

Do we have enough of the National Guard to go around? 

1 hour ago, Wanker Bob said:

We're mirroring the Roman Republic's collapse almost to a tee. Long period of time where things function although not nearly as long as Rome's. People start taking it for granted that it will always be this way and the population gets lazy and stupid. Massive corruption hits, assassinations start and Augustus comes along and promises to "Make Rome Great Again". Then it all falls apart, republic gone, and a long period of steady decline in civilization continues. 

We're in that now exacerbated by ironically named Republicans and their willingness to destroy the republic for their own personal gain. We even have our own version of Cato the Younger in Mitch Mcconnell. History says we don't get better during any of our lifetimes. Let's just hope we can at least enjoy the rot slowly and not have a sudden breakdown/destruction event while any of us are still alive. 

Why are you talking about the football program in CR?

• Hook 'Em 1

5 minutes ago, Hugo Stiglitz said:

We really need to examine the FBI’s choice of words in “armed protesters.” 

That and their continued silence on the Capitol attack doesn’t instill confidence in their role here.  It could look like a veiled call to arms among insurrectionist sympathizers. The FBI is subtlety telling us we are on the verge of civil war but not saying that.

I'm thinking with as many people that the FBI employs, that they're not all interested in stopping insurrection and many are abetting it. So yeah, confidence is not in high amounts at this point. They don't need subtlety for me. I've been Team Ledge for quite a while. @Brisketexan and observing the nation and DC in general over the last four years it's an easy sell.