The Cloak Room is a terrible place.

Parliament

8 hours ago, Porterhouse said:

This post is nonsense. 

Your last half dozen posts have been nonsense.

As always, when asked to provide "both sides" comparisons to the modern day GOP--not just from the Democratic party, but any political party in American history--I get nothing. I'll keep waiting.

• Hook 'Em 2

8 hours ago, TwiceHorn said:

I pretty violently disagree with that.  Warren has actually passed legislation.  Cruz is yelling at clouds.  Examples, Warren legislated into existence an entire federal agency and is openly calling for the resignation of criminal members of her party (Menendez).  That's about 10,000x the level of competence and candor and integrity of Felito.

But you specifically said dipshit whore congressman to a Senator.  There are plenty of dipshit whore Senators too.

Follow the conversation. I mentioned Warren. I dislike Warren’s policy and nature, but would never compare Boebert to Warren. 

1 hour ago, aggie08 said:

Your last half dozen posts have been nonsense.

As always, when asked to provide "both sides" comparisons to the modern day GOP--not just from the Democratic party, but any political party in American history--I get nothing. I'll keep waiting.

I’m not making a both sides argument. GOP today is the worst political institution in American history. That started with trump and continues with his hold on GOP. The 3 congressmen I mentioned are a biproduct of Trump, but they’re a joke. All I’m saying is, the left has plenty of jokes. Tlaib makes an ass of herself on a regular basis. As does Omar. I’m not pulling video that is much more incriminating than whatever TwiceHorn was trying to show of Cruz.  You can do that on your own  

I’ll keep waiting for legislation introduced by GOP that punishes the environment. Which is a totally ridiculous statement. 

54 minutes ago, Porterhouse said:

I’m not making a both sides argument. GOP today is the worst political institution in American history. That started with trump and continues with his hold on GOP. The 3 congressmen I mentioned are a biproduct of Trump, but they’re a joke. All I’m saying is, the left has plenty of jokes. Tlaib makes an ass of herself on a regular basis. As does Omar. I’m not pulling video that is much more incriminating than whatever TwiceHorn was trying to show of Cruz.  You can do that on your own  

I’ll keep waiting for legislation introduced by GOP that punishes the environment. Which is a totally ridiculous statement. 

https://apnews.com/article/climate-change-energy-oil-biden-republican-congress-b2d799a4b69dec464afb906c14f938d2

Which part of his statement was ridiculous? Fucking moron 

13 hours ago, slorch said:

@Brian Fantana you don't believe in paternal rights, or more importantly the rights of (non)dads to escape getting fucked over by the system?

Hey Fontana, why your pussy hurt so much?

I'm not a dipshit divorce court dad so I don't care

e: Also I have no clue what you're even talking about, I just negged you because I knew it'd set you off. Also, PM or ping a fuckin mod if you want that question answered, instead of posting in an unrelated thread about it.

Edited by Brian Fantana

2 hours ago, Porterhouse said:

I’m not making a both sides argument. GOP today is the worst political institution in American history. That started with trump and continues with his hold on GOP. The 3 congressmen I mentioned are a biproduct of Trump, but they’re a joke. All I’m saying is, the left has plenty of jokes. Tlaib makes an ass of herself on a regular basis. As does Omar. I’m not pulling video that is much more incriminating than whatever TwiceHorn was trying to show of Cruz.  You can do that on your own.

You're not even slightly curious why all of the "jokes" on the left that you can think of happen to be women? Not calling you a misogynistic or anything, but, because they're women (some foreign looking), they've gone through the Fox News/right wing Internet ringer and have been given their assigned "radical", "extreme", "emotional", or "naive" labels. The right has a greater interest in making them famous than they do. I'd content that, if they were white representatives named John Smith with the same political opinions, contributions, and sound bites, you might not even know their names.

The same cannot be said about the GOP. They've made their names for themselves through various shitheelery with pride.

• Hook 'Em 1

4 hours ago, aggie08 said:

You're not even slightly curious why all of the "jokes" on the left that you can think of happen to be women? Not calling you a misogynistic or anything, but, because they're women (some foreign looking), they've gone through the Fox News/right wing Internet ringer and have been given their assigned "radical", "extreme", "emotional", or "naive" labels. The right has a greater interest in making them famous than they do. I'd content that, if they were white representatives named John Smith with the same political opinions, contributions, and sound bites, you might not even know their names.

The same cannot be said about the GOP. They've made their names for themselves through various shitheelery with pride.

Not gonna comment on your second paragraph because I agree with you. With respect to your first, I don’t care that they’re women of color. I care about their content. I will post this video, but I’m about done, because I’m getting negged left and right by royiv and Penelope (whom I have on ignore), and it’s the reason I don’t post in CR and will not contribute to this site monetarily:

I’ll edit to add that she’s radical, extreme, incredibly emotional, and utterly naive in that clip. And I don’t watch Fox News, and I was directed to this clip a year ago by many, many people. 

Edited by Porterhouse

On 10/7/2023 at 12:53 AM, TwiceHorn said:

I pretty violently disagree with that.  Warren has actually passed legislation.  Cruz is yelling at clouds.  Examples, Warren legislated into existence an entire federal agency and is openly calling for the resignation of criminal members of her party (Menendez).  That's about 10,000x the level of competence and candor and integrity of Felito.

But you specifically said dipshit whore congressman to a Senator.  There are plenty of dipshit whore Senators too.

This is literally just the conservative self protection mechanism - justify their votes for fascism by arguing without evidence that "the other side is just as bad" and equivocating apples and assholes. They don't post in the CR and hide out in the business boards because they don't like defending their indefensible opinions, and ESPECIALLY don't like it pointed out that they don't have any actual facts besides """people are saying""'

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Drool 1

21 hours ago, Brian Fantana said:

I'm not a dipshit divorce court dad so I don't care

e: Also I have no clue what you're even talking about, I just negged you because I knew it'd set you off. Also, PM or ping a fuckin mod if you want that question answered, instead of posting in an unrelated thread about it.

It's absolutely related to this thread, unless you are suggesting I stop interrupting the individual posters arguing about who is more right about their assessment of CR in general. The mods don't need a PM or whatever.  This is exactly the thread for my question. 

Negs are an indictment of the idiot leaving them, not the post.  You set no one off.  I was more wondering if you might have hit the wrong emoji, but it matters not.  You are a bitch sometimes, for sure.

The bottom line is that the topic crosses some very engrained political/ social stances, and the person who posted it took a questionable position at best.  Got back to the board later and it was Poof! like a fart in the wind. 

warden-norton-shawshawnk.jpg?w=464&resiz

Edited by slorch

Not sure where to post this, but DT posters who can't help themselves from posting their hot sports/political opinions in the Hamas thread need some time off.

2 minutes ago, Boss Hogg said:

Thanks, dad

How is decrying terrorists and antisemites different than decrying scumbag Russian war criminals in the Ukraine thread?

42 minutes ago, DDD Dad said:

Not sure where to post this, but DT posters who can't help themselves from posting their hot sports/political opinions in the Hamas thread need some time off.

report. don't self moderate. your incessant whining in the thread is just as bad.

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

@DefinitelyNotHollywoodColt  @Patricio Swayze

I deleted the post as it would lead to political discussion. You're free to post it in the CR thread. I've deleted multiple posts from both sides of the political fence (and follow up comments about the person that made the tweet) in the thread. This is not the thread for those.

Discussion of moderation should be here and not in the thread.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

Black lab, my suggestion for DT was sincere. And I am not talking down to you or imma (or the mods), but the whole DT/CR thing has been talked about since Shaggy. That is my sincere suggestion for fixing it. 90% of the news threads are inherently political. If it was up to me, I would either not allow any comments other than links to news stories or just merge the two sub forums and walk away. Y’all have to be exhausted by the constant complaining, moderating, deleting.

I haven’t gone back to look a second time, but Johnny sack sure put his toes on the line of straight up racism earlier. I reported it and it wasn’t deleted (again, I only checked once).

It is a pain in the ass but I really really like the Ukraine and Israel threads in DT. They are an incredible amalgamation of different sources. We have a lot of great posters with knowledge of many different topics related to the thread that are great to read. I don't want to silence those voices.

I'm going to continue to moderate to keep out off topic shit as I want the thread to stay the way it is. I am going to continue to remove semi-political things as they lead to off topic discussions.

Earlier in the thread someone posted a tweet that seemed perfectly reasonable to me. Turns out the tweeter is a right wing nut job and so a discussion started about him. So I ended up having to clean that discussion up. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

17 hours ago, DDD Dad said:

My quote

How is decrying terrorists and antisemites different than decrying scumbag Russian war criminals in the Ukraine thread?

The two conflicts involve one side believing the other does not have a right to exist. They commit war crimes or terrorist acts towards those ends. On one thread people rightfully say fuck Russia. On this thread someone says they're sick of all the anti-Semitism and people are like whoa whoa whoa CR bro. 

I can understand mods wanting to keep that thread as clean as possible. I’m sure part of it is responding to reports. I don't get the average poster reporting posts like that though. I suspect there's CR reasons behind that. 

I'll just stay out of that thread from now on. 

40 minutes ago, Boss Hogg said:

My quote

How is decrying terrorists and antisemites different than decrying scumbag Russian war criminals in the Ukraine thread?

The two conflicts involve one side believing the other does not have a right to exist. They commit war crimes or terrorist acts towards those ends. On one thread people rightfully say fuck Russia. On this thread someone says they're sick of all the anti-Semitism and people are like whoa whoa whoa CR bro. 

I can understand mods wanting to keep that thread as clean as possible. I’m sure part of it is responding to reports. I don't get the average poster reporting posts like that though. I suspect there's CR reasons behind that. 

probably taking the generous assumption that you are being disingenuous and flagging it as trolling

• Like 2

51 minutes ago, Boss Hogg said:

My quote

I'd probably do the same thing if anyone posted a BLM tweet about the conflict in the Ukraine thread. Posts like that tend to turn into an argument about the person the tweet is from and ignore the content of the tweet. You are free to post those on the corresponding CR thread.

4 hours ago, Covri said:

What happened to the border security thread in the DT yesterday? Solid thread for everyone to shit on OP. Could’ve untied the board for a day or two! 

can shit be moved to CR (or locked) rather than disappeared?

Edited by elfenix

Never realized how much that dude in the tie and mustache giggling looks just like Ed Helms.  The one to the annoying waiter's right.  

Anyway, just here to drone on and on (what me?  Never!) about yes, the CR has gotten monotonous again.  It kinda had a few glimmers of healthy exchange over the summer.  Maybe football changes that.  Dunno.  Shit, even the hardcore GOP'ers look at the primary season and Biden's Ukraine deftness and are like, "Meh."  The Speaker thing and our own state legislature should be ripe for contentious conversation.  But again, they're both just clownshows that almost all of us of all stripes are watching as just an embarrassingly global display of "Who can shoot their own dick off first?"  

We need the robust debates.  We need informed and pragmatic overtones.  But what the fuck did we expect was gonna happen?  The people that suddenly hate CR the last few years are just pissy because they can't just drive-by post, "Everybody knows Biden's America is a hellscape.  We're a global joke.  Everybody is saying it.  We all know the 2020 election was stolen.  All the evidence is there.  We all see it.  All these cases against Trump are political witch hunts.  It's all there, we all know it.  In two weeks, you'll see it."  Because that shit actually works in real life, but not on here, people want to pick up their ball and go home.  Imma and Co. have the challenging task of running a site that has too many educated people who know that, unlike dipshit MAGA nation IRL, they can't just spout off like their leader does and expect everybody to fall in line.  So it gets frustrating they move on.  I get it.  I was the same way when Obama was elected like "What the fuck? He's not doing any of the shit he said he'd do.  Why are you fascinated with this guy?"  After a while, you just stay away.  Same reason many of us stayed away from CR for Trump's first 18-24 months.  There was nothing to defend, nothing to celebrate, just team pissing contests.  Then he realized no reason to govern, no reason to explain himself, just make outlandish claims that supposedly we all know even though none of us actually did know.  So his minions around tried the same thing, "We all know it.  Everybody knows it.  Greatest president ever.  If you can't see that, you're part of the problem and will be dealt with."  But smart people figured out that bullshit doesn't work on other smart people, so we all got mopey and some haven't stopped whining ever since.  

• Hook 'Em 1

@blacklab Is the topic of the status of Palestinians and their right to return to their homeland appropriate to discuss in the Hamas/Israel war thread? Or is a discussion that's best reserved for the CR thread? I really don't want to veer too far off-topic in the DT thread, but the current conversation is steering toward that cliff. Some guidance would be appreciated. Thanks.

• Hook 'Em 1

15 hours ago, bernorange said:

Move all that shit into a "surly ad hominem talk not going away" thread.  It won't take long for it to be the longest thread on the site.

Global Realignment Thread

I do not mind the DT section of the board. It’s got the good and not so good just like the CR. The only board I find unreadable is the football board, especially after a loss. Most of the recruiting board is just weird to me. Grown men following the comings and goings of teenagers and what college they decide to play FOOTBAW! at is strange in a way I cannot fully put into words. What a weird way to devote hours upon hours of your one shot at life. 

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Haha 1

11 hours ago, UpperWestside said:

I do not mind the DT section of the board. It’s got the good and not so good just like the CR. The only board I find unreadable is the football board, especially after a loss. Most of the recruiting board is just weird to me. Grown men following the comings and goings of teenagers and what college they decide to play FOOTBAW! at is strange in a way I cannot fully put into words. What a weird way to devote hours upon hours of your one shot at life. 

Recruiting and especially the people that make it their careers to follow it are weird. I used to work for Rivals, I didn't last because it all became very creepy to me.

22 hours ago, UpperWestside said:

Hot or Not thread is by the far the creepiest thread and it’s not even close. 

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 2

On 10/19/2023 at 11:21 AM, Brian Fantana said:

Recruiting and especially the people that make it their careers to follow it are weird. I used to work for Rivals, I didn't last because it all became very creepy to me.

Perhaps you could give me some insight to it because I do find it all really strange. The people who make a career of it as well as those who follow it seemingly 24/7. I feel like there are better and more constructive ways to find enjoyment in life.  

22 hours ago, Biff Tannen said:

The football board is just a nightmare.  This is the right place for this right?

I very rarely read it. That’s partly because my once heavy interest in the sport has waned away almost entirely. If I didn’t watch my old high school on YouTube I’d probably never watch the sport anymore.

The football forum is flat-out unreadable though and filled with twice the vitriol and hatred you could ever hope to find in a thread in the CR. That alcohol gets flowing and the hatred comes rolling right along behind it.

On 10/28/2023 at 7:55 PM, UpperWestside said:

I very rarely read it. That’s partly because my once heavy interest in the sport has waned away almost entirely. If I didn’t watch my old high school on YouTube I’d probably never watch the sport anymore.

The football forum is flat-out unreadable though and filled with twice the vitriol and hatred you could ever hope to find in a thread in the CR. That alcohol gets flowing and the hatred comes rolling right along behind it.

I quit drinking 18 months ago.  It's now pretty obvious to me when people get hammered and post. The football board has a lot of that.