Texas Recruiting Notes 2022 - Idiotic Slapfights Unrelated To 2022 Recruiting

4 hours ago, Pato del Muerto said:

Go ahead and explain to me a plausible scenario in which Alabama doesn’t win by say 28 or more.  I’m not seeing one.  “Any given Saturday” doesn’t count as plausible. 

3 hours ago, Tex-19 said:

I'm with you here. I truly don't understand what Vegas is thinking with that 17.5 line. Usually when a line seems that crazy, I feel like they know something. I would've set the line at like 25

y’all are probably right but all I know is that vegas isn’t typically wrong about this stuff and they are not in the business of giving away free money. for whatever reason they don’t see a 30-40 point blowout coming even though it seems inevitable. 

2 hours ago, cafe society said:

I guess it all comes down to how much Saban was pissed off by Jimbo's "we're gonna beat his ass," comments.  Only his shrink knows for sure, so follow him to the betting window.

This.shit.right’chea.
Nick is going in dry like Urban’s finger in that Dirty Leg’s ass on a Sunday night in a shit-tastic scummy-ass bar in a down trodden-couch burn in’ slum in fucking failed-ass Ohio. 

• Haha 1

just watched Thompsons highlights!!!! 

Gives me a faster Quan Cosby type of vibe

Just imagine trying to stop a 10 personnel Sark Offense with

Evan Stewart                                                                                                                                                                                                            J.Whitt                                                                                                                                                      

Brennan Thompson.                                       Case Thompson - B. Robinson.                            X.Worthy

Or 20 personnel with Kee Robinson and Bijan in the backfield with your choice of those 4 WR

200.gif

Edited by D3zii
  • Like 1
  • Drool 2

20 minutes ago, Handcruser said:

Recruiting wise:
what is our number for this year?

How many can we back date or whatever?

And now we can add 7 xfers to the number right (if we have 7 xfer out)?

So what is the total number of new brow-busting, pipe-hitting, bmf wallet carrying stone cold killers we can add for 22?

Errrbody 

38 minutes ago, Handcruser said:

Recruiting wise:

So what is the total number of new brow-busting, pipe-hitting, bmf wallet carrying stone cold killers we can add for 22?

Who knows about numbers right now? Covid really did a number on things. Sarkisian took a few more portals than a lot of the guys that follow it closely here thought he could. Right now just operate under the assumption that we will have 25 + 7. I am sure we will likely have more than 7 portals leave.

Mike at Night: The latest on Campbell, Thompson and Skinner

Mike Roach

Spoiler

Mike Roach

— I was at Arlington Bowie to see five-star offensive lineman Devon Campbell today. Campbell just came off of a visit to Alabama, and the Crimson Tide predictably impressed him. A source I spoke with said that Nick Saban told Campbell the one thing he hasn't heard from any other school which was, "We don't need you, but we'd love to have you." Campbell told me the visit was his best yet and that Alabama operates like an NFL program. The Tide have lingered in the background of this recruitment for a while, but it seems that they are going all-in on Campbell now with Jay Valai and Doug Marrone leading the charge. Next up is a visit to LSU when the Tigers host Texas A&M. AFter that, Campbell will have one more visit left to use.

— Steve Wiltfong reported that Campbell's fifth visit was still up in the air, and while Campbell has maintained all along that Texas will get an official visit, his tune has changed a bit. When I talked to him today, he told me that he's been to Texas so often, he feels like there isn't anything left for him to see. He does want to see the gameday atmosphere so he's looking to make a trip for a game weekend on an unofficial trip. I wrote earlier this week that I would be stunned if Texas didn't get an official based on everything Campbell has said for the majority of his recruitment, and while that looks like more of a possibility, I still think an official visit ultimately happens. I reached out to a source in Austin to relay the news and there seemed to be no sort of alarm or panic when they heard it. Texas has a lot of confidence here, and I think they will eventually get him to a home game to see the environment and probably back for an official in December. Campbell is slated to see Texas-OU on Saturday and he talked about returning possibly for the Oklahoma State game.

— Alabama and Oklahoma seem to be the two main competitors for Texas, though I do think there are some voices around him that wouldn't support the Sooners as much as the other two. Campbell said he's been very impressed by the way the offensive line has grown under Kyle Flood and he knows he has the opportunity for early playing time there. He said the push from Texas remains relentless with Steve Sarkisian, Flood, Jake Langi and Chris Gilbert all in contact with him and his family. My take is that Alabama will likely make this uncomfortable for Texas, but that's life when you're recruiting five-star prospects. I still think that Texas holds a lot of natural advantages in this recruitment, and getting him back to Austin would help solidify things more.

— Brenen Thompson will make his decision tomorrow night live on CBS Sports HQ. Of course, we will have a link and how-to-watch guide available for you guys to see if Texas can win over the west Texas speedster. Nick did a superb job with his preview earlier today which underscores the greater point that Nick has been all over this recruitment from the beginning. No reporter in the market has been out to Spearman other than Nick and he's done it on multiple occasions. That type of work helped Nick to establish a strong rapport with Brenen and his family. Our Crystal Balls have been on Texas since the summer, and we talked after his official visit about how strong his experience was in Austin. If Texas can land him, it will push their class higher up the national rankings and threaten for the top spot.

— If Texas can sweep both the CBS Sports HQ announcements this week, Steve Sarkisian will be grinning ear-to-ear walking into the Cotton Bowl on Saturday. Top tight end Jaleel Skinner will make his announcement then, and Texas has been pushing for the lanky pass catcher for a while. I've written recently that Alabama seems to have the most buzz and that has been backed up by the predictions going in for the Crimson Tide. I checked around today, and while there is some work still being done in Austin, most of the buzz I hear is on Alabama. It should be noted that Skinner doesn't talk to media having had some bad experiences, so information is hard to come by. Jeff Banks has been working hard on this one for a while, and sources near Skinner told Andrew Ivins of 247 that they would likely still make a visit to Austin even after his commitment. That would make for a weird story if he commits elsewhere, but we will continue to check around this week to see where this one goes.

• Hook 'Em 1

2 hours ago, LTtxfan said:

Any updates on what actual leg injury suffered by Brenen in Sept was, and how his recovery is going??

I know we are excited by his speed, just want any new info on his health...  

supposedly will be ready by track season whatever it was

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Handcruser said:

Recruiting wise:

Numbers don’t matter. Bama math

18 minutes ago, Getafix said:

Mike Roach

Hide contents

Mike Roach

— I was at Arlington Bowie to see five-star offensive lineman Devon Campbell today. Campbell just came off of a visit to Alabama, and the Crimson Tide predictably impressed him. A source I spoke with said that Nick Saban told Campbell the one thing he hasn't heard from any other school which was, "We don't need you, but we'd love to have you." Campbell told me the visit was his best yet and that Alabama operates like an NFL program. The Tide have lingered in the background of this recruitment for a while, but it seems that they are going all-in on Campbell now with Jay Valai and Doug Marrone leading the charge. Next up is a visit to LSU when the Tigers host Texas A&M. AFter that, Campbell will have one more visit left to use.

— Steve Wiltfong reported that Campbell's fifth visit was still up in the air, and while Campbell has maintained all along that Texas will get an official visit, his tune has changed a bit. When I talked to him today, he told me that he's been to Texas so often, he feels like there isn't anything left for him to see. He does want to see the gameday atmosphere so he's looking to make a trip for a game weekend on an unofficial trip. I wrote earlier this week that I would be stunned if Texas didn't get an official based on everything Campbell has said for the majority of his recruitment, and while that looks like more of a possibility, I still think an official visit ultimately happens. I reached out to a source in Austin to relay the news and there seemed to be no sort of alarm or panic when they heard it. Texas has a lot of confidence here, and I think they will eventually get him to a home game to see the environment and probably back for an official in December. Campbell is slated to see Texas-OU on Saturday and he talked about returning possibly for the Oklahoma State game.

— Alabama and Oklahoma seem to be the two main competitors for Texas, though I do think there are some voices around him that wouldn't support the Sooners as much as the other two. Campbell said he's been very impressed by the way the offensive line has grown under Kyle Flood and he knows he has the opportunity for early playing time there. He said the push from Texas remains relentless with Steve Sarkisian, Flood, Jake Langi and Chris Gilbert all in contact with him and his family. My take is that Alabama will likely make this uncomfortable for Texas, but that's life when you're recruiting five-star prospects. I still think that Texas holds a lot of natural advantages in this recruitment, and getting him back to Austin would help solidify things more.

— Brenen Thompson will make his decision tomorrow night live on CBS Sports HQ. Of course, we will have a link and how-to-watch guide available for you guys to see if Texas can win over the west Texas speedster. Nick did a superb job with his preview earlier today which underscores the greater point that Nick has been all over this recruitment from the beginning. No reporter in the market has been out to Spearman other than Nick and he's done it on multiple occasions. That type of work helped Nick to establish a strong rapport with Brenen and his family. Our Crystal Balls have been on Texas since the summer, and we talked after his official visit about how strong his experience was in Austin. If Texas can land him, it will push their class higher up the national rankings and threaten for the top spot.

— If Texas can sweep both the CBS Sports HQ announcements this week, Steve Sarkisian will be grinning ear-to-ear walking into the Cotton Bowl on Saturday. Top tight end Jaleel Skinner will make his announcement then, and Texas has been pushing for the lanky pass catcher for a while. I've written recently that Alabama seems to have the most buzz and that has been backed up by the predictions going in for the Crimson Tide. I checked around today, and while there is some work still being done in Austin, most of the buzz I hear is on Alabama. It should be noted that Skinner doesn't talk to media having had some bad experiences, so information is hard to come by. Jeff Banks has been working hard on this one for a while, and sources near Skinner told Andrew Ivins of 247 that they would likely still make a visit to Austin even after his commitment. That would make for a weird story if he commits elsewhere, but we will continue to check around this week to see where this one goes.

I don't get why people say it would be weird for Skinner to visit after committing elsewhere. It would be weird if he didn't commit elsewhere after saying he would "still" make a visit after committing.  

• Hook 'Em 1

16 minutes ago, IDIOTsavant said:

Talus bone fracture according to someone somewhere on this thread.

Iirc he had a prior break on the Talus bone and this time developed a really bad bone spur at that location that needed removing with surgery. Guy has all kinds of medical red flags but obviously his upside makes him still worthy of jerking ourselves dry when/if he does commit here tomorrow. Ideal fit for the slot in Sark's system. 

edit: 'Ideal fit for the slot' would also be an amazing band name for a group of ex players. 

Edited by HateYouAndMyself
  • Hook 'Em 2

27 minutes ago, billfromlaketravis said:

Is Thompson going to recover in time for track season? If healthy, his senior track numbers could be pretty interesting. 

I believe that after the injury he said he's not going to play football, and plans to concentrate on track where he wants to run a 10.38 in the 100M this year.

1 hour ago, HtownHorn said:

Who knows about numbers right now? Covid really did a number on things. Sarkisian took a few more portals than a lot of the guys that follow it closely here thought he could. Right now just operate under the assumption that we will have 25 + 7. I am sure we will likely have more than 7 portals leave.

Yep. The easiest number to remember now is 34 as the commitment cap. 

25 + 2 (K and LS are not going to be on scholarship if we need the spots) + 7 (assuming the transfer portal compensation vote happens tomorrow and it 100% will; these guys will find 7 bodies to portal out if they need to). 

1 minute ago, HenryJames said:

Yep. Won both the 100 and 200 at state as a senior.

Quan had elite speed as a 2000 recruit.  He was still fast 5 years later and 25 pounds heavier.  He was a pure football player.  As good as he was as a badass WR, he could have been just as good as a safety.  He might have killed a few receivers though. 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 2

27 minutes ago, HateYouAndMyself said:

Iirc he had a prior break on the Talus bone and this time developed a really bad bone spur at that location that needed removing with surgery. Guy has all kinds of medical red flags but obviously his upside makes him still worthy of jerking ourselves dry when/if he does commit here tomorrow. Ideal fit for the slot in Sark's system. 

edit: 'Ideal fit for the slot' would also be an amazing band name for a group of ex players. 

All his mom said was a bone spur on the talus bone. If you actually read up on that kind of injury it doesn't sound that bad. People are thinking of it as similar to a Lisfranc injury which seems off base.

• Hook 'Em 1

58 minutes ago, Johnny Sack said:

Quan had elite speed as a 2000 recruit.  He was still fast 5 years later and 25 pounds heavier.  He was a pure football player.  As good as he was as a badass WR, he could have been just as good as a safety.  He might have killed a few receivers though. 

Nonsense! Here's a video of Quan killing a safety!

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 3

1 minute ago, Sejjr said:

Pretty funny that 11 years ago, "what a block!" and "boom!" and  "nice!" is now "15 yard personal foul" and "no room for that kind of stuff" today.

14 minutes ago, UDontKnow said:

Nonsense! Here's a video of Quan killing a safety!

If you break it down in super slow motion you can actually see Lendy Holmes giving birth. 

• Haha 5

44 minutes ago, cmontexas said:

My dad took us to Pennington Field one time to see his coworkers kid play for Boyd in the state championship game. They played Mart, and Quan was lightning on that turf against those 2A white boys. I was convinced Texas landed the next Michael Vick

Played against him in 2000 in the semifinals. We (Refugio) were up by 20 and comfy. Quan brought them back and won the game. It sucked. Then almost 10 years later I was in Iraq watching the ‘09 fiesta bowl against Ohio State and he did them the same way. Didn’t feel sorry for them but I could relate. Lol. His brother Quincy was also a very good player. 

• Hook 'Em 7

18 hours ago, UncleBuck said:

Been trying to gauge their run defense. Tulane, WCU and West Virginia are baaaaaad run teams. But they held Nebraska under 100, and their run game's actually pretty good. Don't know what to think of the 131 KSU got on 'em. Below KSU's average, obviously. This weekend is where something gives.... or doesn't.

That'll be 995

Their run defense is very good, about as good as our run offense in terms of national ranking, so we should expect a "normal" run game output versus what we're used to seeing this season. Meaning about 4.5 yards per carry instead of the absurd numbers we've been putting up so far. Where we have some opportunity according to the numbers is in the passing game where our offense is significantly better than their defense so far this year. If we stay committed to the run and are getting that average output then we should have opportunities down the field. But we've got to hit them instead of just missing them like we have been so far.

• Hook 'Em 1

13 minutes ago, Huckleberry said:

Their run defense is very good, about as good as our run offense in terms of national ranking, so we should expect a "normal" run game output versus what we're used to seeing this season. Meaning about 4.5 yards per carry instead of the absurd numbers we've been putting up so far. Where we have some opportunity according to the numbers is in the passing game where our offense is significantly better than their defense so far this year. If we stay committed to the run and are getting that average output then we should have opportunities down the field. But we've got to hit them instead of just missing them like we have been so far.

We really need to hit on some RPOs early in the game.

• closetojumping changed the title to Texas Recruiting Notes 2022 - Idiotic Slapfights Unrelated To 2022 Recruiting