Texas Recruiting Notes 2022 - Idiotic Slapfights Unrelated To 2022 Recruiting

13 minutes ago, Bevo said:

Yeah, but Sark thinks we have too many bodies (ie. Jags) so, I don't think we will reach.

11 minutes ago, BurntOrange&White said:

Preston/Hudson/Stewart combination with Thompson already in. 

Maybe we luck out and get Skinner despite all the CB’s to Bama and what CTJ has said. Skinner isn’t a true TE or receiver but he’s that Kyle Pitts mold. 

as a poster earlier said we have too many bodies. They want to thin that room out a lot. We won’t reach on guys at that position and I think we look to portal for 1 more difference maker who can come in immediately 

Having too many shitty WRs doesn’t change our need for more good receivers. I’m not saying he’ll reach, but we still need 3-4 high quality guys coming in whether that’s HS or younger transfers. Hudson and Stewart would be ideal but neither is for sure. Preston is a long shot, so I expect we’ll be taking at least one portal 

9 minutes ago, UDontKnow said:

What school/college town do you not have a soft spot for?

Oh, plenty (hi, Michigan). But since I have family all over I have about a team in each conference I have reasonable reason to wish success on when they don't play Texas.

Edited by texifornia
  • Hook 'Em 2

5 minutes ago, JesusSweatDuck said:

East Lansing and Lansing in general are complete shit holes.  If you want to spend your college years there you should have your fucking head examined

College football players don't live in the real world. They live on campus which is usually a pretty nice environment anywhere you go. Plenty of attractive young women and they are gods in that world. 

They're not going to live in the bad part of town or even a gated suburb. They don't commute. They're going to heaven. 

It may be nicer to have your heaven surrounded by Austin or some other attractive city, but I doubt it's ever a decisive factor.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

13 minutes ago, Burt Macklin said:

Having too many shitty WRs doesn’t change our need for more good receivers. I’m not saying he’ll reach, but we still need 3-4 high quality guys coming in whether that’s HS or younger transfers. Hudson and Stewart would be ideal but neither is for sure. Preston is a long shot, so I expect we’ll be taking at least one portal 

I'm not sure we are that far apart. Ideally, we want 2 out of Hudson, Preston, and Stewart. But, if we only get one of those guys then it wouldn't surprise me if we went JUCO or transfer. It also wouldn't surprise me if we only took 2 if the right guys weren't available or if they have confidence in Alexis. My guess is we get 1 out of Hudson, Preston, and Stewart and then use the portal. Arizona State has some quality guys... Skinner may throw a wrinkle in the plan.

5 minutes ago, RomaVicta said:

College football players don't live in the real world. They live on campus which is usually a pretty nice environment anywhere you go. Plenty of attractive young women and they are gods in that world. 

They're not going to live in the bad part of town or even a gated suburb. They don't commute. They're going to heaven. 

It may be nicer to have your heaven surrounded by Austin or some other attractive city, but I doubt it's ever a decisive factor.

Ray-Allen-Threesome-He-Got-Game.jpg

6 minutes ago, Gut Wagon said:

That mess Texas suffered through only eight months ago has a name in Michigan: "winter." Doesn't matter which campus it is. Good luck to the kid if he heads that way. 

This is what I was thinking. Kid has to get from his dorm to the field house at some point. That’ll suck come January. 

1 hour ago, texifornia said:

Have fun in East Lansing, bud. Have to wonder how much we've really been after him this year... dude's barely come up at all, and hasn't exactly set the world on fire on the field.

1 hour ago, Burt Macklin said:

We need to take more than 2 WRs. We only took 2 guys last year that are likely to contribute. So we either need 3-4 HS guys or supplement with transfers with 3+ years remaining. 

1 hour ago, Junior Bonner said:

Based on? Just asking…

Winfield exiting this class is due to the staff feeling like they are raising the floor on WRs they're taking.

-Thompson is in.

-There is a building notion that Stewart is coming this way.

-Preston's chances of landing in Austin are decent provided that: 1) the dumpster fire continues to burn in Baton Rouge, 2) he is willing to sign on SD1, and 3) Orgeron is still at LSU or his replacement is unclear or weak through the end of the year. 

-Hudson is going to land wherever Samples does, or something bigger will have to put on the table for Hudson. Either of those outcomes can come from the Texas end. There's growing consensus that whoever lands Samples has a reasonable expectation of closing whoever the fuck they want through a large swath of DFW. 

-There is also a very high likelihood that Texas is going to do whatever it can to take two impact WRs in the portal on top of wanting to take 4 difference makers, if they can get them, from the HS ranks. 

1 hour ago, UDontKnow said:

What school/college town do you not have a soft spot for?

The man has a proven affinity for Westcott Eberts and everything that that ratfuck represents, so I'm going to take a shot and say that texifornia lacks a soft spot for ... Texas. Or at least Texas fans. He's all about the tough love for us.

42 minutes ago, Bevo said:

I'm not sure we are that far apart. Ideally, we want 2 out of Hudson, Preston, and Stewart. But, if we only get one of those guys then it wouldn't surprise me if we went JUCO or transfer. It also wouldn't surprise me if we only took 2 if the right guys weren't available or if they have confidence in Alexis. My guess is we get 1 out of Hudson, Preston, and Stewart and then use the portal. Arizona State has some quality guys... Skinner may throw a wrinkle in the plan.

Texas needs at least 5 guys that fit what Sarkisian is looking for in addition to the guys they've got on campus that can do more than fog a mirror. Worthy and Whittington are the only guys on the roster that fit the bill right now.

Moore is an interim fix at best, Omeire should be completely written off, Alexis is hurt and his outlook is unknown, Cain and Harrison appear to be big time jaggers. Estell, Woodard, Washington, and Dixon will all be moving on as grad transfers, simply graduates, or simply transfers barring something crazy. Why Dixon? No fucking clue what the story is there.

• Hook 'Em 5
  • Haha 3

4 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

-Hudson is going to land wherever Samples does, or something bigger will have to put on the table for Hudson. Either of those outcomes can come from the Texas end. There's growing consensus that whoever lands Samples has a reasonable expectation of closing whoever the fuck they want through a large swath of DFW. 

Are you suggesting that it is possible Samples ends up at Texas next season in some capacity? 

Edited by Noozak

4 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

Hudson is going to land wherever Samples does, or something bigger will have to put on the table for Hudson. Either of those outcomes can come from the Texas end. There's growing consensus that whoever lands Samples has a reasonable expectation of closing whoever the fuck they want through a large swath of DFW. 

Samples has got to be on Sark's radar by now ffs

• Hook 'Em 2

19 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

The man has a proven affinity for Westcott Eberts and everything that that ratfuck represents, so I'm going to take a shot and say that texifornia lacks a soft spot for ... Texas. Or at least Texas fans. He's all about the tough love for us.

This must sting coming from the suite mate of Ian Boyd. 

• Haha 2

Both Winfield and Gilbeau were and will be processed out.  I think we’ll probably see the same with that Swanson kid and Trevell Johnson.

When the new staff came in board, I remember reading that they would keep Gilbeau since he was already committed but they had guys higher on their board.  The fact that Winfield is flipping to Michigan State should tell you enough about where he is on the pecking order.  None of the regional schools are recruiting him.  I don’t see him ever making an impact in this offense and the coaches probably see the same.

I’m purely speculating on the Swanson kid but with our current DL haul and if we win this ou game, the phone is going to be ringing and there’s only going to be so many spots.  Sark knows what he’s doing.  He has a floor for the class and they won’t be shy about upgrading talent if that opportunity presents itself.  I think the social media movement for Evan Stewart is two fold.  They want to close while we have momentum.  Even if Stewart doesn’t sign here, he’s loving the attention and right now they are probably trying to implant the recruiting perception that Texas is in a better situation going into the SEC than aggy, LSU.  We have one of the best, if not the best play callers, in the country…. A coaching staff second to none on the country (outside of Andre Coleman I’m my opinion), and a badass city.  If you’re a recruit, do you want to bet your future on the Ogre or on aggy ( who is getting the curtains pulled on their flaws right now).  

If we win this game, and if we can get Arch on board…. We’re going to have top 3 recruiting classes in 2022 and 2023.

1 minute ago, BornAndRaised said:

I wonder how big a check it would take to get Samples, and what kind of role. I'm curious if just a WR coach role would satisfy him, but I suppose as long as the dollars make sense...

The dude is coaching at SMU, it won’t take much.  As much as Texas has been down, we’re still a premier coaching destination because of the money and ability to recruit.  We’ve been a .500 program this decade and still out together top 5-10 classes consistently outside of transition classes.  Samples will be able to recruit his own back yard and easily sell Texas.  He can quickly accelerate his trajectory at Texas vs other schools.  I was pissed when Herman didn’t promote Samples and I’ll be pissed with Sark doesn’t do the same.  

• Rage+1 1

7 minutes ago, victory88 said:

The dude is coaching at SMU, it won’t take much.  As much as Texas has been down, we’re still a premier coaching destination because of the money and ability to recruit.  We’ve been a .500 program this decade and still out together top 5-10 classes consistently outside of transition classes.  Samples will be able to recruit his own back yard and easily sell Texas.  He can quickly accelerate his trajectory at Texas vs other schools.  I was pissed when Herman didn’t promote Samples and I’ll be pissed with Sark doesn’t do the same.  

I dont know man, living in the Park Cities, nice 7 figure salary.  No pressure, the team is winning and the HC seems like he is staying put for awhile.  With the portal game in full force, winning 9-10 games seems legit easy for SMU right now.  Compare a cushion 5-7 year job at a million per vs the pressure cooker of Austin for 20% ? more, with as much uncertainty we have had the last 10 years.   May be harder than we think to pull him away.  Its going to take 10 win seasons, beating teams we should etc. to build confidence imo

3 minutes ago, jdhorn92 said:

I dont know man, living in the Park Cities, nice 7 figure salary.  No pressure, the team is winning and the HC seems like he is staying put for awhile.  With the portal game in full force, winning 9-10 games seems legit easy for SMU right now.  Compare a cushion 5-7 year job at a million per vs the pressure cooker of Austin for 20% ? more, with as much uncertainty we have had the last 10 years.   May be harder than we think to pull him away.  Its going to take 10 win seasons, beating teams we should etc. to build confidence imo

You think a position coach at SMU makes a 7 figure salary? 

• Hook 'Em 6
  • Like 1

30 minutes ago, victory88 said:

The fact that Winfield is flipping to Michigan State should tell you enough about where he is on the pecking order.  None of the regional schools are recruiting him.  

I could see the regional school in Collie Station drooling all over themselves to pick him up, since they seem to believe that their current WR's are currently gorilla-boofing Jimbo's offense.

38 minutes ago, victory88 said:

Both Winfield and Gilbeau were and will be processed out.  I think we’ll probably see the same with that Swanson kid and Trevell Johnson.

When the new staff came in board, I remember reading that they would keep Gilbeau since he was already committed but they had guys higher on their board.  The fact that Winfield is flipping to Michigan State should tell you enough about where he is on the pecking order.  None of the regional schools are recruiting him.  I don’t see him ever making an impact in this offense and the coaches probably see the same.

I’m purely speculating on the Swanson kid but with our current DL haul and if we win this ou game, the phone is going to be ringing and there’s only going to be so many spots.  Sark knows what he’s doing.  

I don't recall hearing anything about Swanson since his summer OV.  But yeah, if somehow Abor and/or Wiggins want on board you don't tell them no.  Something would have to happen.  I'm just wandering what position is Swanson?  Bryant is the 1-tech, Ross/Bledsoe are 3-tech's, Finkley/Jones SDE, and Brown/Tapp EDGE.

Trevell Johnson will be interesting.  @closetojumping said to not expect him in this class and he did visit Tech several times over the summer.  The injury just adds to it.  Whatever happens, need to make sure it doesn't sour us with Javien Toviano.

I don't see Kerry getting pushed out.

Would Ronald Lewis get processed if Brooks, Anderson, Hyphen want in?

Send bags or whatever to keep Tapp, we needs guys like him and Brown to rush the passer.

Edited by Elmer_Fudd
  • Hook 'Em 2

• closetojumping changed the title to Texas Recruiting Notes 2022 - Idiotic Slapfights Unrelated To 2022 Recruiting