2021 Hurricane & Cyclone Thread

Rip76

2 hours ago, Message Board User said:

Got a few future looters hearty souls still in the French Quarter.

https://www.earthcam.com/usa/louisiana/neworleans/bourbonstreet/?cam=catsmeow2

Just clicked it and the guy working at the bar below the camera is still waving his cheap drinks sign in the street…..    4 ppl were in the frame the whole 2 minutes I watched.  

My Rita story is that my mom lived in Lumberton when it hit. She tried to evacuate but 69 was a clusterfuck and it took her 6 hours to make it 30 miles up to Warren/Woodville where my grandparents lived. She only had a small Saturn coupe and had to bring a coworker with her and her 2 large dogs. She ended up leaving 2 cats behind because she had nowhere to put them. One lived, one disappeared. Sorry @Nicole44, sometimes people don't have options. 

Anyways her place in Lumberton got some flooding damage and 2 bigass pine trees on the roof, along with her fence being destroyed. My sister and I drove from Austin through some backroads to get to her since they had major roads blocked and wouldn't let people in. We spent the weekend clearing the trees and brush and getting her food from the National Guard who was giving shit out (MRE's and beanie weenies, but more importantly ice and water). She was ok with staying instead of coming back to Austin with us. She spent 2 weeks without power and it was like 95+ every day. She said she actually got used to it ... and she's from Canada. 

She got the fuck out a few years later and moved to Dallas. 

• Hook 'Em 2

Oldest son lives a few blocks north of St. Charles cross Street at Jackson. He decided to stay.  According to maps and locals they got about 2-3' of water for Katrina.

More concerned about level of preparedness.  Not sure he is ready for 3 weeks without power.

• Like 1

A reminder... here are the descriptions of a Cat 4 and Cat 5 from NHC:

4 (major) 130-156 mps

Catastrophic damage will occur: Well-built framed homes can sustain severe damage with loss of most of the roof structure and/or some exterior walls. Most trees will be snapped or uprooted and power poles downed. Fallen trees and power poles will isolate residential areas. Power outages will last weeks to possibly months. Most of the area will be uninhabitable for weeks or months.

5 (major)  157 mph or higher
 Catastrophic damage will occur: A high percentage of framed homes will be destroyed, with total roof failure and wall collapse. Fallen trees and power poles will isolate residential areas. Power outages will last for weeks to possibly months. Most of the area will be uninhabitable for weeks or months.

Things have a way of not being as bad as forecast in many cases, but in this case, if NOLA is in the narrow 20-mile path near or at the eye, unlike Katrina, where teh surge was bad but the winds not quite as devastating, this one could easily flatten (i.e. wipe out completely) entire subdivisions.

Might be the worst storm to ever hit U.S. in terms of damage/destruction.  Hope not of course.

Just now, Message Board User said:

Have family in the bayou (Cut Off/Galliano/Golden Meadow) and it's insane how many people I've heard are staying.  

We operate out of Fourchon and have operations folks that live off LA1 in the Galliano/Larose and some in Houma. A few stayed, a few with young kids came to Houston. 

Can someone tell me what this means?
I’m dumb. Thank you.

Hurricanes in the gulf do not typically continue to intensify so close to land as Ida has. Many storms in the gulf actually lose steam before landfall. Ex: Rita was the strongest Atlantic hurricane ever recorded when it was way out in the gulf, landfall as a Cat 2 or 3. Katrina, as bad as it was, also weakened prior to landfall.

Ida has continued to strengthen up to the final hours before landfall.

I got home from New Orleans last night at 11.  I was on the last Southwest flight out last night.  I had to go to town to for a funeral.  I had prep my grandmothers house for the hurricane since she had passed away.  She lived in a flood zone on the West Bank in New Orleans.  Yesterday at 3 pm her neighborhood was ghost town.  I didn't see a single person.  Also every gas station was out of gas.  I turned in our car to Avis on empty.  Also I went to costco on Friday afternoon in NOLA.  What was crazy was Costco inside wasn't busy but the line to get gas was literally 3 blocks long.  A lot of the pallets inside costco were almost empty too.  I'm hoping my family in New Orleans do alright.  In Lakeview (where most of my family lives), the pumps are broken so the neighborhood is definitely going to experience flooding.    

Edited by Tex48
  • Hook 'Em 8

22 minutes ago, Message Board User said:

The lower the pressure, the stronger the hurricane.  Millibars (not wind speed) determines intensity.  So a deep drop in pressure means rapid intensification.  

They’re related though. The pressure differential is what causes the winds to rush from higher pressure areas surrounding a Low pressure center, and the coriolis effect causes the rightward deflection of that inward rushing air in the northern hemisphere. So Lows rotate counterclockwise and Highs rotate clockwise in this hemisphere. Lower pressure also usually implies the opportunity for stronger storms as air can rise easier convectively as opposed to sinking air of a high pressure area quashing thunderstorms.

A millibar is a metric measure denoting a unit of pressure per square cm if memory serves. Inches of mercury denotes the height of a column of mercury equal to a column of the atmosphere of same circumference from sea level to the it’s top at 59F/15C. 29.92” or 1013.2 MB is considered standard pressure. I’m sure a real meteorologist just cringed at all that, but it’s a quick an dirty explanation for the OP you replied to.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1