Political Discussion in Daily Texan

immamac

1 hour ago, Captainant said:

In your mind, what's the problem with CR right now?

It's a pretty rough and tumble board, but it's the designated place to talk about the shitshow that's been our shared existence for the last several years. That isn't the Texas football team at least.

Posters don't get neg-bombed for having dissenting or contrary opinions in CR, but they do get thumped for having wildly hot takes that are completely unsupported by evidence and/or ongoing posting of disinformation and misinformation. And even then, the negs only come when that person has really committed to being pants-on-head insane or just plain trolling.

I'd start with moderation.  That is the reason that I rarely post there, and I think most other gripes stem from there.

To the two bolded points: I can see how it is that way for you, but the majority of posters would disagree.

2 hours ago, JBJ said:

I don't know if this is the solution, but I don't see anything working out until CR is cleaned up a bit.

CR is fine until the trolls and mentally ill Trump lovers show up.  

If you have views that are based on prejudice or hate it will come out soon enough.

5 hours ago, AUS-97HORN said:

I want nothing to do with CR, I think ive made like 10 comments there in 3 years. 

while both of these are fair points, you also have the counterpoint, that if anyone with less than 500 rep points goes into CR and gives a viewpoint that has merit  but is wrong because "its the other sides view" they can be crowdsourced in 2 fucking hours if a certain group has their way.

just turn off rep in the CR and this place will have far, far fewer fucking issues with magical internet point bullying.

I think it's the opposite: rep points were made for places like CR.  Not many people "give a viewpoint that has merit" and get negbombed.  People repeatedly post dumbass shit and get negbombed for it. 

Watch GRUHorn.  He's down to like 200 points, slowly but surely.  Soon enough he'll be at 0.  And then gone.  

2 hours ago, Celery Man said:

jt was the egg face in the frying pan gif. Never made the transition from shaggy

JT was one of the few Shagsters/ Surlists I ever met for reals.  Did a charity event in Austin to send boodle boxes( goody bags) to troops over in the Middle East, so he wasn't all bad...

7 minutes ago, slorch said:

JT was one of the few Shagsters/ Surlists I ever met for reals.  Did a charity event in Austin to send boodle boxes( goody bags) to troops over in the Middle East, so he wasn't all bad...

So how did you both know each other posted on Shaggy/Surl?  Tap your feet under the stall wall or something?

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, atomheartbevo said:

We need to get Randolph Duke to make some charts showing that when UT football is not doing well, posts in CR and DT drastically rise, especially heated posts.  There has to be a correlation.  

Wasn’t Brisket’s dying children meltdown after the OU game or some other ugly loss? I’ve been trying to figure out what horrifying national event aligned with a terrible loss weekend to figure out which game it was, but there are too many candidates.

1 hour ago, JBJ said:

I'd start with moderation.  That is the reason that I rarely post there, and I think most other gripes stem from there.

To the two bolded points: I can see how it is that way for you, but the majority of posters would disagree.

elaborate please. what is lacking in cr moderation?

33 minutes ago, Goredho said:

So how did you both know each other posted on Shaggy/Surl?  Tap your feet under the stall wall or something?

No aggy connection.  LOL.

IIRC, he posted about it on the board asking if anyone wanted to participate.  Couple of PMs and my ole lady and I drove to Austin for a weekend and helped.  It was a good thing.  I think there were 5-6 Shagsters there. Might have been 2010 or so.

Edited by slorch

1 hour ago, JBJ said:

Now see the second bolded is provable. And by my view and immamacs view, people don't get neg bombed for simply holding a contrary view. And the negs don't reflect that either. GRhorn posts a ton in CR, workswithseed earnestly posts his opinion and defends it, donkey cigars came in as a low post count but stood his ground and honestly shared his opinion and isn't some pariah for it. 

All of them get a rash of shit for it, but they don't get banned for it. They still post. 

But I'm open to being proved wrong with specific examples and evidence to show why those disagreeing posters feels are actually reals. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

Guest Lobo

As a former Texas Republican, I think it's bullshit that people can post the things they do about Lt. Gov. Dan Patrick around here with no consequences.  BULLSHIT!

As a former Texas Democrat, I'm appalled that we can't all collectively laugh when Biden can't read the teleprompter. 

Edit:  Just kidding.  I'm not a former Democrat.

Edited by Hate
  • Hook 'Em 5
  • Haha 1

Guest Lobo
15 minutes ago, immortal13 said:

The Cloak Roomers crying on this thread because they're not wanted in DT is hilarious. Keep it up, guys

That don’t make no sense!

3 hours ago, hayden_horn said:

How about the entire thread dedicated to Rush Limbaugh and celebrating his cancer and death.  That seems like an obvious one.  Many reason why people don’t/won’t go to the CR, but that disgusting thread is pretty high up on my list.

and Rush was a piece of shit, but still that thread is uncalled for

• Haha 2

53 minutes ago, KYHorn said:

so it is frustrating that an enjoyable thread like Austin homeless, and those like it in the future, apparently, will be in the CR because "a few" posters were overly political and a few others were bothered enough to report it.

Yep, it was a good thread that I was active in reading/responding but now it’s dead to me.  Sad when a local issue affecting us all get “political” when it’s only 1 or 2 people arguing D vs R.

2 hours ago, KYHorn said:

it would at least seem to require a massive commitment approaching Hugo levels to be able to respond to the "rash of shit" you'd be receiving

This applies to all social media: Don't respond to rashes of shit. Respond to questions, but not questions dressed up like questions, but in reality are rashes of shit.

GR is trolling over there. He knows it.

Edited by washparkhorn
p.s., use paragraph breaks more often.
  • Hook 'Em 6

2 hours ago, atomheartbevo said:

You answered your own post. People loathed Limbaugh because he spent decades being a hypocrite with the war on drugs stuff, and more importantly, he spent decades trying to divide the country and make Americans hate each other.  

And that’s not hyperbole.  Listen to a few hours of one of his shows. He was very blunt about wanting Americans to hate each other.   Because of that, you get threads where people cheer his death.  

The kind of rhetoric he and others pushed have caused a lot of people to wrap themselves up way too tightly in team or identity politics.  

He, and others that followed (and some on the left as well), pushed a viewpoint that everything has to be binary these days, that people have to pick a team before discussions start, with no room for nuanced views, and that people can’t change their views as they gather new information.  Battle lines must be drawn and adhered to from the start. 

sounds exactly like the CR

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 2

10 hours ago, Captainant said:

Now see the second bolded is provable. And by my view and immamacs view, people don't get neg bombed for simply holding a contrary view. And the negs don't reflect that either. GRhorn posts a ton in CR, workswithseed earnestly posts his opinion and defends it, donkey cigars came in as a low post count but stood his ground and honestly shared his opinion and isn't some pariah for it. 

All of them get a rash of shit for it, but they don't get banned for it. They still post. 

But I'm open to being proved wrong with specific examples and evidence to show why those disagreeing posters feels are actually reals. 

So disable positive rep in the CR but keep negative rep, ez pz

• Hook 'Em 1

8 hours ago, KYHorn said:

This change doesn't really concern me outside of the fact that I will no longer stumble into the Austin homeless thread, which I found to be an extremely interesting and entertaining thread, but I think jbj is making a good point. Just as a starting place, go check out the thread titles in the CR and consider if you were a reasonable conservative or even a moderate, whether you'd be interested in stepping into that to discuss your point of view. Even if you were passionate enough about politics to post your thoughts on a message board, it would at least seem to require a massive commitment approaching Hugo levels to be able to respond to the "rash of shit" you'd be receiving. So, not only would you be knowingly entering an area that would clearly not be allied with your perspective, you'd have to be so passionate that you'd be willing to devote substantial time and effort to deal with a constant rash of shit, both constructive and not. Hell, a poster just said a few posts above yours that they want to get GRhorn banned. I don't know GR's views or anything, but you listed him immediately after saying posters don't get neg bombed for holding a contrary view. As a secondary point, not directed at you, we can play the little game about how no one should care about rep and it doesn't matter, but it's part of the forum and community. If it doesn't signify something, then it shouldn't be here. So, yeah, I can see why jbj feels that way. I don't have the passion to post about politics anyway and I never go to the CR, so it is frustrating that an enjoyable thread like Austin homeless, and those like it in the future, apparently, will be in the CR because "a few" posters were overly political and a few others were bothered enough to report it. Just my thoughts. I understand others, including mods, have different opinions on the move.

This is a great post. It’s why I never go over to cloak anymore. It’s toxic and not worth my time and incredibly hostile to anyone who deviates at all from the one expected viewpoint, and I don’t care enough to have that in my life. 
I will miss a couple threads that I’ve been posting in over here mostly non politically (certainly non partisan but definitely viewpoint related) but life will go on. I won’t miss them enough to go back over there. 

I’m not going to say I’m loved over in the CR but I think most on here respect that I don’t shit post, I’m not trying to be a bad person etc etc. a few non conservatives might even sort of like some of my posting a little bit. I also loathed Trump. All that said I’d get plenty of responses just absolutely beyond vicious that IRL would never get said, called worse than hitler, a cunt more times than I can count and a bunch of other horrifying stuff. What rational person that likes life wants to subject themselves to that so they can hang out and see something Thayer @Washpark or @Bozo_Casanova have to say just because he finds their perspective thoughtful from a perspective he doesn’t usually see. And then the dumbest amongst that group engage in anklebiting throughout the rest of the site. 

Edited by Wulaw Horn
  • Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, atomheartbevo said:

You answered your own post. People loathed Limbaugh because he spent decades being a hypocrite with the war on drugs stuff, and more importantly, he spent decades trying to divide the country and make Americans hate each other.  

And that’s not hyperbole.  Listen to a few hours of one of his shows. He was very blunt about wanting Americans to hate each other.   Because of that, you get threads where people cheer his death.  

The kind of rhetoric he and others pushed have caused a lot of people to wrap themselves up way too tightly in team or identity politics.  

He, and others that followed (and some on the left as well), pushed a viewpoint that everything has to be binary these days, that people have to pick a team before discussions start, with no room for nuanced views, and that people can’t change their views as they gather new information.  Battle lines must be drawn and adhered to from the start.  

We should be able to discuss things like the homeless or covid with an apolitical mindset, focused on solutions, and we could do that in years past, but here we are.  Nobody seems to care that the homeless are homeless regardless of what party is in charge, and the homeless that have mental issues or are strung out on something give no shits about what your political party is.  

2 hours ago, 52-80 said:

sounds exactly like the CR

And your response is classic DT.  

TJ Hooker was the guy whose wife flashed her rack at his new doorbell cam, right?   

• Hook 'Em 2

12 hours ago, hayden_horn said:

I could start a thread in the football forum about how VY is overrated and be fairly confident a moderator won't get involved in any capacity.  There'd be much wailing and gnashing of teeth, but no mod would feel compelled to white-knight because a lot of football board posters react negatively. 

It doesn't work that way in CR.  Many moderation decisions seem to focus on maintaining a sort of peaceable divide between CR posters and the rest of the board.  CR posters go ham in there while others simply can't.

Edited by JBJ

In my opinion, the situation in the DT came about because of the CloakRoom culture of "Gas light, Gatekeep and Girl boss". This made it to where anytime someone with a dissenting opinion and point of view was shouted down as a troll. This obviously has happened to me.

Once that happened enough times, it was a self-fulfilling prophecy in some folks minds that posters were trolls, despite attempts to discuss honestly-held opinions and positions and point of views that were in the minority. This led to a situation where having worldviews and belief systems that are not similar, and even in some instances are in conflict and antithetical, to the general CR beliefs meant that you generally weren't welcome to participate without being shouted down or dismissed as a troll out of convenience or misattributed lazy groupthink.

And to some degree I get it, politics is an emotional and personal thing for a lot of you people, so anything that runs counter to your beliefs is something to fight about or dislike but I'd like to remind everyone as we all get ready to go back to the CR:

The lowest form of dismissal is mere factionalism: to automatically dismiss any idea associated with the opposing faction. The lowest form of all is to dismiss an idea because of who proposed it.

Edited by DonkeyCigars
  • Hook 'Em 5