2021 Fall Camp Thread - Bend Over & I’ll Continue Showing You

BurntOrange&White

OBs

Spoiler

I'll just get right to it...

a. The Offense Strikes Back! Steve Sarkisian mentioned after practice that the offense as a whole had a much better scrimmage today than it did a week ago at this time and the first couple of sources that we've spoken with today confirmed it.

b. Both quarterbacks performed well, but it sounds like Hudson Card has continued to progress all week and that played out today in the scrimmage. "It was a totally different looking guy," one source said. "His confidence keeps improving and he found guys today and they made plays for him. He's really played well all week and today wasn't different."

c. Casey Thompson also had a good scrimmage and finished his best week since the bowl game. One person told me that the only thing holding back an improving Thompson from this week is the fact that Card has also turned a corner.

d. Xavier Worthy returned to practice in limited fashion yesterday, but came back today and made some plays.

e. It sounds like the running backs played very well today and that group as a whole was involved in the success that the offense had in making plays with short passes that turned into some yards after the catch.

f. The offensive line can hold its head up high tonight. Left tackle Christian Jones, center Jake Majors and right tackle Derek Kerstetter all had their names singled out.

• Hook 'Em 5

8 hours ago, BurntOrangeBlooded15 said:

To be fair, you can walk off the field under your own power after tearing (or in his case would’ve been re-tearing) an ACL.  

I walked off the field under my own power when I tore my acl, and when I re-tore my acl.

However, I was unable to walk it off the time I tore a ligament while turning in my office chair at work. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

1 hour ago, LTtxfan said:

Steve Sarkisian Media Availability [Aug. 21, 2021]

It's really nice to finally have a likeable coach.  It's been too long, since I've felt that way.  That fucking TH was such a cocksucker; I hated looking at him and having to admit he was our coach.  I wish Sark and his entire staff (except maybe Coleman, fusing running thin there) all the best.  I hope Sark retires here, which of course means he's successful, but more than that his demeanor seems to be one that can not only coach, but perhaps manage the money while not talking down to alumni and fans.

• Like 1

Chip Brown

Spoiler

Hudson Card was the first quarterback with the ones in the first half of today’s scrimmage. Casey Thompson went with the ones for the second half of the scrimmage.

“Both did well,” a source said. “And the offense was a lot better this week.”

Joshua Moore had about a 60-yard reception among “some really good catches.”

Xavier Worthy also had several catches and "was electric” in the scrimmage.

Kai Money also "showed out" Saturday.

The running backs had a good day with another strong showing from freshman Jonathon Brooks.

Jordan Whittington (hamstring) and Troy Omeire (knee) didn’t play in the scrimmage.

Cade Brewer missed the last two days of practice after having his knee drained, but Brewer DID play in the scrimmage Saturday.

On defense, freshman Ishmael Ibraheem had an interception against one of the backup quarterbacks.

The scrimmage included a lot of situational football.

Punter Isaac Pearson was out sick (not COVID-19), and there's concern a stomach bug is going around the locker room. Worthy missed Wednesday's open practice because of illness.

Walk-on Micheal Taaffe of Austin Westlake, who is playing nickel, was singled out for making some plays and will probably play on special teams.

• Hook 'Em 2

Just now, Red Five said:

Hey he's healthy, gets open, and catches the ball. I'll take it at this point. 

Yep. You hope Money is the floor setter and you hope he doesn’t have to play. If he does I expect him to run routes, get open and catch the ball. That’s not the worst quality in the world to have for a WR. 

• Hook 'Em 3

It's really nice to finally have a likeable coach.  It's been too long, since I've felt that way.  That fucking TH was such a cocksucker; I hated looking at him and having to admit he was our coach.  I wish Sark and his entire staff (except maybe Coleman, fusing running thin there) all the best.  I hope Sark retires here, which of course means he's successful, but more than that his demeanor seems to be one that can not only coach, but perhaps manage the money while not talking down to alumni and fans.
Every new coach tries to pretend they're fully bought in on day one when they're announced, (and maybe Sark was as well, idk) but the one thing that stood out to me is he referred to everything concerning the team as "we" and "us" from the moment he stepped foot in ATX.
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, LTtxfan said:

Steve Sarkisian Media Availability [Aug. 21, 2021]

I am going to play junior psychologist. The fact that he is referencing the qb improvement as "not taking sacks, better eyes, getting the ball out on time" are more indiciative of Card's issues than Casey's. Leads me to believe he is leaning Card.

• Hook 'Em 6

7 minutes ago, Vertigo said:

I am going to play junior psychologist. The fact that he is referencing the qb improvement as "not taking sacks, better eyes, getting the ball out on time" are more indiciative of Card's issues than Casey's. Leads me to believe he is leaning Card.

Good Surly Sleuthing right here. 

55 minutes ago, Wulaw Horn said:

Yep. You hope Money is the floor setter and you hope he doesn’t have to play. If he does I expect him to run routes, get open and catch the ball. That’s not the worst quality in the world to have for a WR. 

So you’re saying that he’s found money? 

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Rage+1 1

41 minutes ago, Vertigo said:

Whoever gets us to 14 wins this year, I'm down.

1 hour ago, Red Five said:

Hey he's healthy, gets open, and catches the ball. I'll take it at this point. 

Sark is all about guys running in space. If Money has space and isn’t running a route that either has him sitting flat footed or worse curling back to the ball, his lack of high end athleticism isn’t yet end of the world.

Do I expect there to be be players better than him, Fuck ya, we are Texas. That being said, his skill set will work in this offense. Especially if he is also willing to block and has a feel for how to get away with rub routes…

• Hook 'Em 1

3 hours ago, Laxtonto said:

Sark is all about guys running in space. If Money has space and isn’t running a route that either has him sitting flat footed or worse curling back to the ball, his lack of high end athleticism isn’t yet end of the world.

Do I expect there to be be players better than him, Fuck ya, we are Texas. That being said, his skill set will work in this offense. Especially if he is also willing to block and has a feel for how to get away with rub routes…

I mean OU's Kai Money caught the GW TD Pass against us last year. 

shoes-bush.gif.4b2b546f5567509a9fd50c98731dbe54.gif

• Haha 2
  • Rage+1 2

IT -- "Sarkisian notes improvement from offense since first scrimmage, no starting QB named"

Joe Cook•about 16 hours

Untitled-design-58-1.png

Joshua Moore was one of the standout players from Texas' second scrimmage (Shane Ware/Inside Texas)

Texas head coach Steve Sarkisian spoke with the media Saturday following the Longhorns’ second scrimmage of preseason camp. In contrast to the first scrimmage held on August 14 where the defense got the better of the offense, Sarkisian said the offense got the upper hand against Pete Kwiatkowski’s unit on Saturday.

“I thought they did a good job of controlling the line of scrimmage,” Sarkisian said. “We ran the football well, which in turn, I thought the quarterbacks had a nice day. I thought they were efficient with the ball. Took advantage of opportunities down the field when they were there, and in the end, I thought they kind of controlled the tempo.”

It wasn’t a complete sweep by the offense, as Sarkisian said the defense did improve as the two-half, 100-play scrimmage carried on. He mentioned the defense recorded some three-and-outs but needed improvement on first down defense and finishing drives on third down.

The offense’s success bodes well for both quarterbacks currently engaged in a battle for the starting role. Sarkisian liked what he saw from both Hudson Card and Casey Thompson. He mentioned they both played winning football, which for Sarkisian means taking care of the ball, successfully managing the offense, and taking advantage of downfield opportunities.

“They both went out and performed pretty well from the naked eye today,” Sarkisian said. “I thought they took care of the ball. I thought our tempo was better offensively, which is a lot on them of controlling the tempo. Whether we’re using shifts and motions, whether we’re trying to go fast, whatever that is, they control it on the field. I thought they got completions.”

No decision was announced by Sarkisian regarding the starting quarterback. He mentioned he could put his head on his pillow tonight and know who the starter is. He said that news might not make it to the media directly from him, but the chance he knows who his starter for Sept. 4 does exist.

No matter what he decides, Sarkisian prefers to go through the season with both quarterbacks on the roster. Having both gives him a luxury most teams would be envious of.

“I’ve always said we’re probably in a better position at the quarterback position than a lot of people,” Sarkisian said. “I really believe we have two guys that can play. Now, I believe in having a starter and having a backup, but when you know I’ve got a backup that can play at a high level and operate our offense the way we want to operate, that’s really a luxury for us.”

For as well as they performed, neither quarterback earned hypothetical “player of the game” honors. That went to Joshua Moore.

In other receiver news, Jordan Alexis did not complete the scrimmage. He left with a knee injury, according to Sarkisian. Troy Omeire, who left Wednesday’s open practice with what appeared to be something affecting his surgically repaired knee, was sidelined with a “subtle strain,” according to Sarkisian.

Inside Texas reported Friday that Omeire suffered a sprained knee.

“He’s in the rehab process,” Sarkisian said. “I don’t want to call it day-to-day, but I also don’t want to think it’s months, either. I think the reality of this thing with him, it could be a week, maybe two. We’ll see. We’re into the process of getting him back to 100 percent healthy and getting him back on the field.”

University of Texas classes begin on Wednesday, marking the beginning of the fall 2021 semester. On school days, Texas will practice in the morning so players can attend classes in the afternoon.

Texas will move out of “training camp” mode come Monday’s practice and move into their school week schedule. They will also move into the south end zone on that day. Beginning Monday, Sarkisian and his staff also plan to have a semblance of a two-deep for the practices remaining ahead of the season-opener.

“We’ll, as a staff tomorrow, really get together and dissect the roster, and really put together a two-deep to try to give ourselves a really good foundation of a two-deep, whether that’s on offense, defense, or all phases on special teams,” Sarkisian said. “That doesn’t mean it’s set in stone, but it at least gives us a parameter heading into next week of, okay, we’ve been repping a lot of guys. A lot of guys have been getting opportunities. Now, if we were playing next Saturday, what would our two-deep look like? Then we kind of start to practice that way, then rolling some of the threes in there as we go.”

The prospective two-deep arrives as Texas moves inside of two weeks until the first game of the Sarkisian era.

• Hook 'Em 2

41 minutes ago, Hiphopopotamos said:

Nahlin says all three Moore TD's were from Card going against the twos on defense.   Two on go routes and one on a screen.

Also says that the scrimmage was geared to give the offense some success.

Texas Football on IG already contradicting the IT reports. Casey three a TD to Moore. It’s almost like they showed that clip on purpose to make a point. 

• Like 1

Ok, but I will never, NEVER, defend the way Bud Davis treated poor Sissy.

image.jpeg.f07b904c1b3226c16f11aa8574eaf21c.jpeg

Sorry for the derail; I agree, ... but one of the best lines ever in a movie, 

I’m hardheaded, and I’m prideful. I want to apologize clear back to the first time I hit you.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1