Trent Dilfer losing it with Phil Dawson’s kid

Nice Guy Eddie

https://nypost.com/2021/08/30/trent-dilfer-goes-ballistic-on-high-school-player-in-viral-video/

no idea what Dawson did, but extremely weak for a so-called coach to act like an idiot. I would also like to see Dilfer try that that with someone larger than him. We definitely know he wouldn’t have the courage to try that with an nfl player.

Shouldn't lay hands on a  player like that.  Not in today's world.

That being said, would love to get the Paul Harvey on the incident.  The video is conveniently short...( roll eyes)

1 minute ago, slorch said:

Shouldn't lay hands on a  player like that.  Not in today's world.

That being said, would love to get the Paul Harvey on the incident.  The video is conveniently short...( roll eyes)

Lol dude you know how I know you’re old?

“And now you know……………the REST of the story”….

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 2
  • Haha 4

11 minutes ago, Ignatius said:

From the article Phil is on the coaching staff of the same team. Assuming he saw said incident go down, should we have a problem with it if he didn’t?

Irrelevant. This doesn't look too egregious from the video, just coach putting baby in the corner.  However, to your point, just because a parent has no problem with the way Coach Kilmer treats his kid doesn't mean Coach Kilmer should be anywhere around those fine young men. It's a societal standard, not an individual parental standard, and we've decided grown men don't get to slap around someone just because they be mad and the boss. Again, doesn't look like the case at all in this instance.

I’d like to see what happened before. I could see a case where Dawson was beefing with an opponent, a ref, or even a teammate and Dilfer stepped in to break it up, removing Dawson from the situation to deescalate. Then, Dawson gets pissy and throws down his helmet, which propels Dilfer into questionable territory with the screaming. But that wasn’t nearly as bad as I expected to see. 

I believe completely that an adult shouldn’t hit a kid, but separating 200lb+ athletes requires some force, and what Dilfer was doing wasn’t going to hurt Dawson. Again, I need more perspective on what instigated the aggression.

• Hook 'Em 1

I've had some pretty toxic coaches in my life so maybe I'm "conditioned" to it but that seemed very, very mild. Drama was happening, coach stepped in to diffuse, it worked. I'm just old enough that I still remember coaches yanking players around by the facemask to get their point across. 

I once had a wrestling coach that took down one of our heavyweights and literally punked him until he cried because the heavyweight had accidentally hurt one of our older coaches with a sneak attack and he inadvertently separated the coach's sternum. Completely accidental and nothing malicious intended but the head coach was an egotistical prick and felt he had to do it I guess. He was an excellent coach but just a fucking terrible person. Found out years later that he was banging a HS girl while his wife was pregnant with twins. A real piece of shit.

• Rage+1 1

26 minutes ago, ElChupacabra said:

I've had some pretty toxic coaches in my life so maybe I'm "conditioned" to it but that seemed very, very mild. Drama was happening, coach stepped in to diffuse, it worked. I'm just old enough that I still remember coaches yanking players around by the facemask to get their point across. 

I once had a wrestling coach that took down one of our heavyweights and literally punked him until he cried because the heavyweight had accidentally hurt one of our older coaches with a sneak attack and he inadvertently separated the coach's sternum. Completely accidental and nothing malicious intended but the head coach was an egotistical prick and felt he had to do it I guess. He was an excellent coach but just a fucking terrible person. Found out years later that he was banging a HS girl while his wife was pregnant with twins. A real piece of shit.

Dude…I mean it was crappy that his wife decided to have twins, but to call her a ‘real piece of shit’…uncalled for.

• Like 1
  • Haha 7

2 hours ago, Deej said:

Maybe he was just excitedly telling him about his dad's kick into the wind to beat Virginia?

This may have been my first game to attend as a kid, at least the first one I vividly remember. Was on the NEZ opposite from the kick and remember just being in awe and the crowd going nuts. Pretty sure we got to walk around on the astroturf afterward. Good times.

15 hours ago, Deej said:

Maybe he was just excitedly telling him about his dad's kick into the wind to beat Virginia?

I was there. Sat on the West Side, upper deck... because a friend was in from UVA grad school and the rest of my group had graduated back when I was supposed to have graduated, so we weren't in the student section.

I do always love the "back when I played 30 years ago with no helmets and we rubbed dirt on our concussions and our coaches were allowed to beat us with tire irons" crowd who liken everything in 2021 to their experience playing ball back when they would ride to games without seatbelts while your mother chain smoked pregnant and your dad was pounding 6 beers behind the wheel. 

Times have changed.  Bad look for Dilfer.  Bad look for posters immediately trying to make Dawson's kid as potentially the bad guy and Dilfer was just giving tough love/coaching.  Dilfer said he was being a hard ass trying to get them to play more disciplined and went too far on a kid who didn't do anything. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2
  • Fuck You 1

17 hours ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

https://nypost.com/2021/08/30/trent-dilfer-goes-ballistic-on-high-school-player-in-viral-video/

no idea what Dawson did, but extremely weak for a so-called coach to act like an idiot. I would also like to see Dilfer try that that with someone larger than him. We definitely know he wouldn’t have the courage to try that with an nfl player.

this post...is weak.

very weak...

2 hours ago, Js1 said:

I do always love the "back when I played 30 years ago with no helmets and we rubbed dirt on our concussions and our coaches were allowed to beat us with tire irons" crowd who liken everything in 2021 to their experience playing ball back when they would ride to games without seatbelts while your mother chain smoked pregnant and your dad was pounding 6 beers behind the wheel. 

Times have changed.  Bad look for Dilfer.  Bad look for posters immediately trying to make Dawson's kid as potentially the bad guy and Dilfer was just giving tough love/coaching.  Dilfer said he was being a hard ass trying to get them to play more disciplined and went too far on a kid who didn't do anything. 

So true. The old days weren't so great. Today's best coaches succeed because they demonstrate that they genuinely care about the players and earn respect through deeds, rather than words. The screamers are the idiots who cover up their lack of coaching talent and leadership ability through the use of fear tactics, which only work for the short-term. Tough-guy coaches rarely succeed or last these days and that's a good thing.  

EDIT: And if anyone thinks the good-old days were great cause everyone was tougher, go watch Band of Brothers and see why Sobel ended up as a Captain and Winters ended up as a Major.  

Edited by TreatyOak
  • Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Js1 said:

Exactly. I recall that coaches only allowed water after practice. Let's run around in the Texas sun for a few hours without water. We also had grown men that seemed to enjoy yelling at junior high boys when the coaches had no idea what they were doing.

My junior high coaches were so bad and offered such little coaching advice that my freshman class initially had 3 show up for freshman football, out of ~70 in the class.  The freshman coach had to call each boy over the summer to talk them into playing. More showed up for basketball and baseball. 

• Hook 'Em 1

4 hours ago, Js1 said:

50 years old.  Called out the behavior by Dilfer.

Still felt like the video was conveniently brief, but I strenuously object to the hands on the player, who seems to have a little "bitchass punk" going on.

Demi-Moore-300x202.jpg

Could be that both parties were in the wrong.   Could be that both parties make amends...  maybe.

Edited by slorch

So true. The old days weren't so great. Today's best coaches succeed because they demonstrate that they genuinely care about the players and earn respect through deeds, rather than words. The screamers are the idiots who cover up their lack of coaching talent and leadership ability through the use of fear tactics, which only work for the short-term. Tough-guy coaches rarely succeed or last these days and that's a good thing.  
EDIT: And if anyone thinks the good-old days were great cause everyone was tougher, go watch Band of Brothers and see why Sobel ended up as a Captain and Winters ended up as a Major.  

Sobel was fucking incompetent and unable to gain the confidence of his men when it came to leading them into combat. The men that served under him stated that he pushed them to be a better unit. They just didn’t trust him when it was time to get killed.
  • Hook 'Em 1

So

the coach was coaching a kid and told the kid to go to the bench but the kid won’t listen and threw his helmet so the coach showed him where the bench is......

its not like he slapped the kids head or helmet.  This is what football coaching is.  I get that a bunch of younguns  want to woosiefy  the game.  The coach has know this kid all his life. Football is supposed to be tough.  Coach did nothing wrong but demand respect from a hot headed player.  I’m guessing most of the “ ohhh the coach is soooo bad” clan have never played football or got there feelings hurt when coached hard.

Probly been coached by getting sat ina corner for a time out.....

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2

7 hours ago, TreatyOak said:

. Today's best coaches succeed because they demonstrate that they genuinely care about the players and earn respect through deeds, rather than words. The screamers are the idiots who cover up their lack of coaching talent and leadership ability through the use of fear tactics, which only work for the short-term. Tough-guy coaches rarely succeed or last these days and that's a good thing.  

Bill Belichick and Nick Saban would like a word with you…

2 hours ago, Hook1997 said:

Bill Belichick and Nick Saban would like a word with you…

Fair point, but I’d be curious if their players consider them screamer types or more from the caring school. You may be surprised at the answer. Turtle Tom Herman wasn’t a screamer but I have read that the players perceived that he didn’t really care about them.

On 8/31/2021 at 10:13 AM, Pam Cummings said:

Its sad that anyone would see "controversy" in that. Like how dumb do you look bitching about a mean coach when you're literally watching a sport that causes fucking brain damage.

Says someone posting on a site that literally causes/promotes/glorifies brain damage…