Seems like this La Palma volcano could be kind of a big deal

Fudge Nuggets

For the last few days I've been seeing YouTube video recs about the volcano on La Palma but didn't pay it much attention.  I've always been interested in volcanoes so I would check out the pretty pictures but other than that, life goes on.

Until I saw this bullshit:

I mean 2021 has been trying to one-up 2020 from the get go and this would officially make 2020 its bitch.

5 minutes ago, CooterBrown said:

The real question is how long will it take for the tsunami to travel the distance to the east coast? Im sure even with a week notice, we still leave like 50% of residents behind…because we’re stupid.

Some idiots always stubbornly stick around in the face of a Cat 4/5 hurricane, so yea…

44 minutes ago, CooterBrown said:

The real question is how long will it take for the tsunami to travel the distance to the east coast? Im sure even with a week notice, we still leave like 50% of residents behind…because we’re stupid.

“In the deep ocean, tsunamis can move as fast as a jet plane, over 500 mph (800 km/h), and can cross entire oceans in less than a day.”

26 minutes ago, heso said:

“In the deep ocean, tsunamis can move as fast as a jet plane, over 500 mph (800 km/h), and can cross entire oceans in less than a day.”

Washington D.C. is ~3,400 miles from La Palma.  New York City is ~3,200 miles so we're looking at 6 - 7 hours.

East coast would be proper fucked.

37 minutes ago, Blotto said:

I havent crunched all the numbers yet, but what if we were to immediately shove chris christie into the ocean from somewhere long the atlantic seaboard, creating a wave of equal or greater magnitude? we good, or nah?

Nope, you gotta take that bitch Carole Baskin and shove her into the ocean.  The amount of smugness that permeates every fiber of her being would repel that tsunami.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1

The 1958 Alaska landslide tsunami is one of the wildest stories I ever read. Occurred in a small bay that amplified the wave. Some trees, over 1,700 feet above sea level, were washed out. A few people fishing in the bay lived to tell the story.

to be clear, the wave wasn’t 1,700 feet but between the water and energy, water was pushed that high on the adjacent mountains  

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/1958_Lituya_Bay_earthquake_and_megatsunami

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

The 1958 Alaska landslide tsunami is one of the wildest stories I ever read. Occurred in a small bay that amplified the wave. Some trees, over 1,700 feet above sea level, were washed out. A few people fishing in the bay lived to tell the story.

to be clear, the wave wasn’t 1,700 feet but between the water and energy, water was pushed that high on the adjacent mountains  

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/1958_Lituya_Bay_earthquake_and_megatsunami

You had a huge, steeply sided, bay that held the water, but it sloshed the sides like a bitch.

I posted that same video in the "holy shit" thread in response to someone posting drone footage of the current eruption.  It may not be this particular eruption that causes half of the island to slide into the ocean, but it will happen eventually.  It's a matter of when, not if...same as Yellowstone, Campi Flegrei, and Toba. 

Edited by Hate

13 hours ago, Pescado_Rojo said:

Some idiots always stubbornly stick around in the face of a Cat 4/5 hurricane, so yea…

They evacuated everybody from the (Florida) Keys and everybody leaves except for one guy who’s gonna stay there and tie himself to a tree on the beach, to prove a point; and the point was, he said, that at 53 years of age, he was in good enough physical condition to withstand the wind and the rain of a force 3 hurricane. OK, let me explain something to ya: it isn’t thatthe wind is blowin’. It’s what the wind is blowin’. If you get hit with a Volvo, it doesn’t really matter how many sit-ups you did that morning. If you have a "Yield" sign in your spleen, joggin' don't really come into play. "I can run 25 miles without stopping." "You're bleedin'." "Shit!"

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

56 minutes ago, Buzzrock said:

Turns out it’s kinda bullshit

https://amp.usatoday.com/amp/5783736001

f9bda06b82507a0d19c9c170828ce2de.jpg

It was kind of obvious from the get go. When the “news” cast starts with “But one scientist believes…” you know it is click bait bull shit to stir up the conspiracy theorist hypochondriacs that flip out over everything. They’ll get worked up for a day or two befor their attention gets drawn somewhere else.  

The 4 page “study” this nonsense is based off only predicts 25 meter waves, but thanks to the wonders of the internet, it’s grown to 100 meters or more

• Hook 'Em 1

BS...  This is just a theory and model that has been "poo-pooed" in the geology community...  It assumes the whole island does a "cannonball" (like the image above) rather than a "landslide" into the ocean...  Think of the difference of pouring a bucket of dirt in a lake vs. "dumping" it all at once... Yes, either could cause a tsunami but you aren't going to see a 25m wall of water wipe out the whole east coast...  (Yes, it could happen but the odds are probably as good as me winning the lottery tonight...) Even the Alaska example was a "black swan" event - narrow inlet channel and a seabead bottom that formed a "V" that accentuated the wave...

(That being said, if you have a house say, at Hilton Head, and want to sell it to me for $10, ignore what I said...)

Edited by Grimas
  • Like 1

26 minutes ago, Grimas said:

BS...  This is just a theory and model that has been "poo-pooed" in the geology community...  It assumes the whole island does a "cannonball" (like the image above) rather than a "landslide" into the ocean...  Think of the difference of pouring a bucket of dirt in a lake vs. "dumping" it all at once... Yes, either could cause a tsunami but you aren't going to see a 25m wall of water wipe out the whole east coast...  (Yes, it could happen but the odds are probably as good as me winning the lottery tonight...) Even the Alaska example was a "black swan" event - narrow inlet channel and a seabead bottom that formed a "V" that accentuated the wave...

(That being said, if you have a house say, at Hilton Head, and want to sell it to me for $10, ignore what I said...)

• Hook 'Em 1