[Surly Official] Texas @ TCU Game Thread - 11am on ABC

Pancho

1 minute ago, RollLeft said:

How many sacks and pressures did we get this game?  I've not been one those guys complaining about it but so its out there and i don't have to hear that shit this week.  tia.

Yeah, that last TCU drive was when we saw the lack of a true pass rush. 

8 minutes ago, immamac said:

This is how idiots think. This team couldn't hang with Georgia let alone Alabama. Wins the rest of the season get us embarrassed in the playoffs if we don't correct the mental mistakes we saw today that were enormous. Bijan saved us. Casey started to play hero ball with the drops and Sark reigned him in finished strong. We need to execute properly in the medium to long pass game or we get blown out against anyone that isn't dogshit big XII. 

This team isn't capable of contending regardless of coaching. Absolute ceiling would be a B12 title and semis loss or NY6 win. 

• Hook 'Em 4

2 minutes ago, Ghost of Shag said:

Funny, but this game gave me a lot of confidence in Sark. He had to coach his ass off to get us that win.  I see him paying attention to details and getting angry over details that make or break games. He’s winning despite a lack of talent in almost every area. You can only do so much to overcome a crappy offensive line, a weak receiver room, and a new starting quarterback.

Outside of Not taking the field goal at the end, I like almost all of what I’m seeing out of our coaching.Not taking the field goal at the end, I like almost all of what I’m seeing out of our coaching.

look. I'm not saying Sark sucks or anything of the sort.  I'm trying to figure out if he is the guy to get us out of the Herman, Mackovic, McWilliams type rut.

• Hook 'Em 1

1 minute ago, ztejas said:

This team isn't capable of contending regardless of coaching. Absolute ceiling would be a B12 title and semis loss or NY6 win. 

This. We do not have a championship roster right now.  Not with these lines. 

Edited by Js1
  • Hook 'Em 2

I don't have near the criticism of Sark's play calling today that some do, although I do have some nits to pick for this game. One thought that comes to mind though is what degree does his play calling suffer while filling the role as HC. I think Lincoln Riley probably sets the standard for handling that dual role with aplomb. Sark does pretty well too though and will probably get better at it as time goes on.

It will also be interesting to see how the cockroaches feel about Patterson after today's loss. My thought would be that they made it a game and he should be safe.

Didnt win big enough. W matters, not the only stat that matters. 

This is absurd. You expect this team to be as good as Alabama and Georgia and we are not. They would fucking manhandle us in the trenches.

But that’s ok. Win, recruit better, build the program. It doesn’t happen overnight.
  • Hook 'Em 7

7 minutes ago, immamac said:

This is how idiots think. This team couldn't hang with Georgia let alone Alabama. Wins the rest of the season get us embarrassed in the playoffs if we don't correct the mental mistakes we saw today that were enormous. Bijan saved us. Casey started to play hero ball with the drops and Sark reigned him in finished strong. We need to execute properly in the medium to long pass game or we get blown out against anyone that isn't dogshit big XII. 

If the measuring stick is hanging with Georgia or Alabama this year, I think we're destined for disappointment. I'd like to just see some sustained improvement and a decent final record. Next week will tell us how we stand in the Big 12, and if we play well enough the rests of the year to make the playoffs, I'd be happy even though a quick loss is likely. 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, HtownHorn said:

Yeah, that last TCU drive was when we saw the lack of a true pass rush. 

The lack of holding calls on that last TCU drive mixed with our pass rush is limited and PK not wanting to blitz in a prevent situation made it look like they had all sorts of time 

1 minute ago, Js1 said:

This. We do not have a championship roster right now.  Not with these lines. 

No doubt.

Honestly, it's pretty amazing this team has been able to do what it has so far this year, with these lines.  A credit to all the other talent around them, as well as mostly-good coaching.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

Just now, sith_horn said:

It will also be interesting to see how the cockroaches feel about Patterson after today's loss. My thought would be that they made it a game and he should be safe.

Shit like this won’t help GP

Just now, Laxtonto said:

The lack of holding calls on that last TCU drive mixed with our pass rush is limited and PK not wanting to blitz in a prevent situation made it look like they had all sorts of time 

My favorite was when one official talked the other out of a holding call.

• Like 1
  • Rage+1 4

1 minute ago, utee94 said:

How many years will it take before people get this?

Until Texas starts winning in conference regularly and fans quit making excuses. I don't see you or anyone else talking about how Tech always plays us tough so that's why we only scored 70. We were K state's "superbowl" too until Herman went 4-0 against them. 

TCU was healthier going into today and played worse in most phases. We should have won this by 20+. TCU isn't good just like they weren't last week. Not everything in cfb revolves around Texas. 

• Hook 'Em 1

1 minute ago, Tired Horn said:

If the measuring stick is hanging with Georgia or Alabama this year, I think we're destined for disappointment. I'd like to just see some sustained improvement and a decent final record. Next week will tell us how we stand in the Big 12, and if we play well enough the rests of the year to make the playoffs, I'd be happy even though a quick loss is likely. 

Yep. We have to be consistently good before we can be great.  Just stack wins and go from there.

I'm happy with the W.

To play as shit-tastically as everyone outside of Bijan did and to still come up with a road win against Fat Pat is one by me.

Worthy sucked.

The D sucked

The play calling sucked

Casey wasn't good.

Still got the win.

Hallelujah, Holy shit where is the Tylenol..

• Hook 'Em 3

1 minute ago, utee94 said:

TCU clearly doesn't play against SMU like they do against Texas.  How many years will it take before people get this?

And, OU's defense is ass my dude.

sure, both defenses suck.  Riley is gonna do a better job against our D IMO.

we got the win.  Its great to beat them.  we looked kinda shitty doing it on both sides TBH.  and bonus was we didn't have a second half targeting call I expected to happen.

1 minute ago, sith_horn said:

I don't have near the criticism of Sark's play calling today that some do, although I do have some nits to pick for this game. One thought that comes to mind though is what degree does his play calling suffer while filling the role as HC. I think Lincoln Riley probably sets the standard for handling that dual role with aplomb. Sark does pretty well too though and will probably get better at it as time goes on.

Agree with all this. I put the offensive woes way more on execution than playcalling in this one. Especially in the pass game (and it falls on QB, WR, and OL)

• Hook 'Em 1

8 minutes ago, Ghost of Shag said:

Funny, but this game gave me a lot of confidence in Sark. He had to coach his ass off to get us that win.  I see him paying attention to details and getting angry over details that make or break games. He’s winning despite a lack of talent in almost every area. You can only do so much to overcome a crappy offensive line, a weak receiver room, and a new starting quarterback.

Outside of Not taking the field goal at the end, I like almost all of what I’m seeing out of our coaching.

And for fucks sake use your timeouts 

Just now, ztejas said:

Until Texas starts winning in conference regularly and fans quit making excuses. I don't see you or anyone else talking about how Tech always plays us tough so that's why we only scored 70. We were K state's "superbowl" too until Herman went 4-0 against them. 

TCU was healthier going into today and played worse in most phases. We should have won this by 20+. TCU isn't good just like they weren't last week. Not everything in cfb revolves around Texas. 

Because Tech doesn't always play us tough.  Since they ousted Leach, they've actually played like complete pussies against us.  You're not making the point you think you're making.  You're not making any point at all.

• Hook 'Em 1

2 minutes ago, Tylerocks said:

I'm happy with the W.

To play as shit-tastically as everyone outside of Bijan did and to still come up with a road win against Fat Pat is one by me.

Worthy sucked.

The D sucked

The play calling sucked

Casey wasn't good.

Still got the win.

Hallelujah, Holy shit where is the Tylenol..

Outside of their last 99 yard drive and the short ass field to open the game - D held up okay.  Some questionable penalties extended drives for TCU

Edited by Js1
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, dcar00 said:

look. I'm not saying Sark sucks or anything of the sort.  I'm trying to figure out if he is the guy to get us out of the Herman, Mackovic, McWilliams type rut.

I think you can figure out if he isn't early on but figuring out if he IS probably takes a season to season and a half. 

• Hook 'Em 1