Seawolf attack Sub Connecticut "hit something" under the South China Sea

AUS-97HORN

Just now, tbone_ said:

Don’t those things have like radar or something or do they just drive blind?

Typically they'll just use passive sonar and navigational charts since active sonar also let's everyone else know you're there lol

I recall reading about a similar collision where a sub hit an underwater mountain and the investigation found the charts onboard the sub didn't have the the hazard marked for some reason. Just part of the dangers of operating in a stealth ship without windows, I guess

• Hook 'Em 1

Somebody's career just ended.
Navy tends not to fuck around when a ship gets damaged.

Yep. I heard a talk by the captain of the Sun that hit the Japanese? fishing boat. He at least was able to get on the lecture circuit but his navy career was over immediately

1 hour ago, Updawg said:

Yep. I heard a talk by the captain of the Sun that hit the Japanese? fishing boat. He at least was able to get on the lecture circuit but his navy career was over immediately

My great grandfather was captain of a minesweeper in WW2. His ship, the Portent, hit a mine and sank during the Anzio invasion. He survived but was laid up with burns and other injuries for a few months and even then some higher up was trying to drum him out of the navy during wartime for well, hitting a mine while sweeping mines during an invasion. I have these papers somewhere and eventually that assholes CO just ruled that the loss of the Portent was “an acceptable consequence arising from the hazards of naval warfare,” or something like that. He was given another command and life went on, and he returned from the war and went back to Beaumont, albeit as an alcoholic by that time. 

if you want to see some real old school overzealous prosecution of naval officers, check out the British Admiralty back in the 18th and 19th centuries. Not only was your career at stake, they hang your ass for such offenses as “not pressing an attack with sufficient zeal,” even if said attack would have been a suicide mission. 

• Hook 'Em 7
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, MaybeACoordinator said:

if you want to see some real old school overzealous prosecution of naval officers, check out the British Admiralty back in the 18th and 19th centuries. Not only was your career at stake, they hang your ass for such offenses as “not pressing an attack with sufficient zeal,” even if said attack would have been a suicide mission. 

Well they aren’t exactly playing a game of jacks.  War is hell.

• Hook 'Em 2

2 minutes ago, Incredulity said:

Well they aren’t exactly playing a game of jacks.  War is hell.

That particular case was a turning point. The captain who swung was scapegoated and the Admiralty was divided on whether it was a capital offense anyway. 

but guess what? 280 years later tha Admiralty still won’t give him a pardon, though his heirs keep trying. 

laptop is in the shop so I’m not digging up the links for now. 

17 minutes ago, MaybeACoordinator said:

My great grandfather was captain of a minesweeper in WW2. His ship, the Portent, hit a mine and sank during the Anzio invasion. He survived but was laid up with burns and other injuries for a few months and even then some higher up was trying to drum him out of the navy during wartime for well, hitting a mine while sweeping mines during an invasion. I have these papers somewhere and eventually that assholes CO just ruled that the loss of the Portent was “an acceptable consequence arising from the hazards of naval warfare,” or something like that. He was given another command and life went on, and he returned from the war and went back to Beaumont, albeit as an alcoholic by that time. 

Minesweeping seems like a bad job. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Drool 1

It is very interesting in todays Navy that pretty much, no matter what, the Captain is always, always, always at fault.  

I get it, the buck stops there... but  that hidden seamount that USS SAN FRAN hit was absolutely NOT on the Navy's official updated charts that were in use at the time 

didnt matter, the Captain and the 6 officers and ratings on duty at the time of the accident all got shit canned. 

barring this object being a whale, this captain is sure to lose their command as well.

Even Britain is that strict.  back in 2002, HMS Nottingham ran aground,  her Captain was not even on the ship, he was literally flying back to the ship when she ran aground, and he was reprimanded and relieved beause a junior officer managed to accidentally put an external  object on the section of the chart that showed the shallow area so none of the other officers who were in charge at the time knew the shoals were there 

yet.... a man we consider one of, if not THE greatest Admiral's in US History grounded his first command and was court martialed/ convicted of neglect of duty back in 1907.

and 3 years later the Navy forgave and promoted him like nothing happened. 

no chance in hell does any officer in command of a ship ever get a 2nd chance in todays Navy. 

• Hook 'Em 3

7 hours ago, conVINCEd said:

I have a hat laying around somewhere that they made for one of their reunions.  Kula Gulf Swim Club.

Man, find that and preserve it. Dad has his that says Pleiku Club for Wayward Boys- 1967. I want that hat. He can give the rest of his shit to my asshole cousins but not that one. 

• Hook 'Em 3

9 hours ago, AUS-97HORN said:

It is very interesting in todays Navy that pretty much, no matter what, the Captain is always, always, always at fault.  

I get it, the buck stops there... but  that hidden seamount that USS SAN FRAN hit was absolutely NOT on the Navy's official updated charts that were in use at the time 

didnt matter, the Captain and the 6 officers and ratings on duty at the time of the accident all got shit canned. 

barring this object being a whale, this captain is sure to lose their command as well.

Even Britain is that strict.  back in 2002, HMS Nottingham ran aground,  her Captain was not even on the ship, he was literally flying back to the ship when she ran aground, and he was reprimanded and relieved beause a junior officer managed to accidentally put an external  object on the section of the chart that showed the shallow area so none of the other officers who were in charge at the time knew the shoals were there 

yet.... a man we consider one of, if not THE greatest Admiral's in US History grounded his first command and was court martialed/ convicted of neglect of duty back in 1907.

and 3 years later the Navy forgave and promoted him like nothing happened. 

no chance in hell does any officer in command of a ship ever get a 2nd chance in todays Navy. 

Clancy espouses in either Red October or Red Storm that sub captain is one of last truly god-like jobs available.  I guess with great power comes great consequences in that case. 

11 hours ago, MaybeACoordinator said:

That particular case was a turning point. The captain who swung was scapegoated and the Admiralty was divided on whether it was a capital offense anyway. 

but guess what? 280 years later tha Admiralty still won’t give him a pardon, though his heirs keep trying. 

laptop is in the shop so I’m not digging up the links for now. 

The British Government is never going to admit they executed Byng because they needed a scapegoat after a string of military setbacks.

Edited by kevwun
  • Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, Homercles said:

Clancy espouses in either Red October or Red Storm that sub captain is one of last truly god-like jobs available.  I guess with great power comes great consequences in that case. 

When the big missile boomers go out to play cat/mouse under the ice caps, not even POTUS knows where they are.  Completely and utterly autonomous.