This is who Steve Sarkisian is.

lilMAC25

So Sark was OC at Bama over the highest scoring offense in their history, or something like that???

After watching the Horn offense completely disappear for entire halves at critical times this year, I can't help but believe that it was Saban on the headset saying,

"...okay, Steve, second down, Smith needs the ball... give me a flair to the strong side that takes advantage of that new Corner they just subbed..."

and stuff like that on virtually every play Bama ran.

Sark (Headset)(Looking at clipboard): "X-25 right, swing 3 yada yada."

Edited by Irish Wrist Watch
  • Hook 'Em 1

9 minutes ago, Irish Wrist Watch said:

So Sark was OC at Bama over the highest scoring offense in their history, or something like that???

After watching the Horn offense completely disappear for entire halves at critical times this year, I can't help but believe that it was Saban on the headset saying,

"...okay, Steve, second down, Smith needs the ball... give me a flair to the strong side that takes advantage of that new Corner they just subbed..."

I had to look it up after this comment.

We had 7 games this year with less than 35 rushing attempts. Bama in 2020 had 3.

In both seasons the offense had two games with over 40 pass attempts, but Bama exceeded 35 rushing attempts in both while Texas was below 35 in both with the egregious 18 in that pathetic performance against Washington.

Saban most definitely told Sark to run the damn ball. The swings in game plan from game to game this year also show absolutely zero offensive identity. Bama was pretty consistent across the board from week to week.

B20CC932-A462-40C6-99BF-5BEA81F99D2F.thumb.jpeg.6dbdfe508ac1643bafcead936fb1de98.jpeg3D84A65C-8165-49DD-8291-F068A11DD329.thumb.jpeg.7f86fe8f3d236744dea085ca3a422c4e.jpeg

• Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 1
  • Rage+1 1

12 minutes ago, Irish Wrist Watch said:

Check out Alabama's 2020 OL and then compare it to ours.

Report back.

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Haha 2

5 minutes ago, David Dennison said:

Check out Alabama's 2020 OL and then compare it to ours.

Report back.

Looking at my post above we outrushed Bama on 6 fewer attempts but fell a slight 1500 yards short passing on 20 less attempts. I wonder what we should have emphasized more?

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Rage+1 1

Jfc not this stupid ass argument again. When you are blowing teams out by 20+ each week you tend to run the ball a lot. When you play close games or have to come from behind you tend to throw more. That’s football.

Here are the games this year (2022) where Bama ran the ball more than 35 times- Louisiana Monroe, Arkansas (Young hurt), A&M (Young hurt), Ole Miss and Austin Fucking Peay. All their close games (Texas, Tennessee, LSU) they *gasp* couldn’t run the ball the whole 4th quarter.

Thinking there is some magic number of carries that guarantees you a win is laughable.

Edited by Hookem2147
  • Hook 'Em 8

So it's clear that Sark as OC needs a real HC to tell him what to call, play-to-play.

That makes things a lot easier to move forward. It looks like an immediate fix might be moving Patterson to new title AD VP for Football and de facto HC and keep Sark as titular HC, but actual OC, i.e. no or limited interaction with DC and STC. 

• Hook 'Em 1

7 minutes ago, Hookem2147 said:

Jfc not this stupid ass argument again. When you are blowing teams out by 20+ each week you tend to run the ball a lot. When you play close games or have to come from behind you tend to throw more. That’s football.

Here are the games this year (2022) where Bama ran the ball more than 35 times- Louisiana Monroe, Arkansas (Young hurt), A&M (Young hurt), Ole Miss and Austin Fucking Peay. 

We were ahead by double digits in at least 2 of the games we failed to run the ball in the second half or even attempt to run the ball. Tech/Ok State. 

It's not about hitting some magical number of rushing attempts for me, it's our decision to completely abandon it. < Response to your edited reply earlier.

Edited by BurntOrange&White
  • Hook 'Em 3
  • Rage+1 2

17 minutes ago, BurntOrange&White said:

We were ahead by double digits in at least 2 of the games we failed to run the ball in the second half or even attempt to run the ball. Tech/Ok State. 

If you take out the final 4 plays of the Tech game (30 seconds left down 3 have to pass) we ran the ball 13 times and passed 9 times in the second half.

If you take out the final 2 drives against OSU (down 7 3 minutes left and down 7 56 seconds left), we ran the ball 15 times and passed 12 times in the second half.

We never abandoned the run until we had to. 

Edited by Hookem2147
  • Hook 'Em 3

6 minutes ago, Hookem2147 said:

If you take out the final 4 plays of the Tech game (30 seconds left down 3 have to pass) we ran the ball 13 times and passed 9 times in the second half.

If you take out the final 2 drives against OSU (down 7 3 minutes left and down 7 56 seconds left), we ran the ball 15 times and passed 12 times in the second half.

No, no, no. You see we needed to run the ball more even when we were not being successful on 1st and 2nd down, and were left with plenty of 3rd and longs leading to three and outs, and the inability to run the ball more.

Edited by HtownHorn
  • Hook 'Em 1

1 minute ago, HtownHorn said:

No, no, no. You see we needed to run the ball more even when we were not being successful on 1st and 2nd down, and were left with plenty of 3rd and longs leading to three and outs, and the inability to run the ball more.

Yeah cause chunking 20+ yard bombs was way more successful than feeding our Doak Walker winner and RoJo

Edited by BurntOrange&White

We never abandoned the run until we had to. 

Pretty sure in both those games we lost possession on downs in enemy territory. Both, if I remember correctly, included 3 runs. It was the most critical possession in the Tech game. And in the 2nd half. It was also the drive that reinforced to McGuire that going on 4th was the right move.

We lost both in part because we failed to use our screen/short game. Generally just lost our creative play calling.
  • Hook 'Em 1

20 hours ago, immamac said:

Love your post, but ok state had no penalties. It was a major factor in them winning. 

They had no penalties called on them. Whether or not there were actually no penalties... haven't seen such fuckery since Teaff's last game at Baylor.

And oh by the way, those same heroic defenders Stillwater are currently officiating the Cheez-It Citrus "Run train on the Boilermakers like they were an LSU staffer" bowl.

Seriously fuck those refs. I hope they all die of combination of AIDS, testicular cancer, and the clap.

• Haha 1

Sark 2023 Report Card

A+ 15-0 National Champions or 14-1 Title Loser

A   13-1 or 12-2 Big 12 Title, Playoff Loser

A-  13-1 or 12-2 Big 12 Title Loser, Major Bowl Winner

B   11-3 Big 12 Title Loser, Bowl Winner

C 10-4 Big 12 Title loser, Bowl Winner 

D 9-4

F 8-5 or worse

Edited by Dbeasy
  • Drool 1

1 minute ago, Dbeasy said:

Sark 2023 Report Card

A+ 15-0 National Champions or 14-1 Title Loser

A   13-1 or 12-2 Big 12 Title, Playoff Loser

A-  13-1 or 12-2 Big 12 Title Loser, Major Bowl Winner

B   11-3 Big 12 Title Loser, Bowl Winner

C 10-4 Big 13 Title Loser, Bowl Winner 

D 9-4

F 8-5 or worse

A "D" is improvement. I'll take it.

If I was a coach I would only call the plays that work and never call the ones that don’t 

In order to do that you must be predictable so that you can break tendency.

That’s why any trick play involving Roy Williams worked. Do that 2-3 times per year and no one ever sees it coming. GDGD = genius.

2 hours ago, Tex Long said:

So it's clear that Sark as OC needs a real HC to tell him what to call, play-to-play.

That makes things a lot easier to move forward. It looks like an immediate fix might be moving Patterson to new title AD VP for Football and de facto HC and keep Sark as titular HC, but actual OC, i.e. no or limited interaction with DC and STC. 

You certainly know how to build a successful organization.

2 hours ago, Hookem2147 said:

Here are the games this year (2022) where Bama ran the ball more than 35 times- Louisiana Monroe, Arkansas (Young hurt), A&M (Young hurt), Ole Miss and Austin Fucking Peay. All their close games (Texas, Tennessee, LSU) they *gasp* couldn’t run the ball the whole 4th quarter.

Thinking there is some magic number of carries that guarantees you a win is laughable.

You make it sound like Alabama ran the ball because they were blowing people out... How about Alabama was blowing people out because they ran the ball more? Not sure, just asking?

FWIW, the Greg Davis philosophy was to crush other teams by running the ball, until the other team scores ONE touchdown, then you panic and pass the ball for the rest of the game.

Sark's philosophy seems to be: Use heavy deception, roll up and down the field early, and jump up on opponents - then when we're ahead by 14, shut the deception down, go basic, and only go big with plays that have a small chance of working, i.e. long bombs.

Once in the lead, or when trying to come back, forget play action on first or second down. Go shotgun and hand it off or pass it. And when it's third and two... never, ever put the QB under center. Pitchouts, swings? What the fuck are those? Pump fakes? Huh? And if you do try a swing, make sure you have a wideout standing around on that side so that the cornerback coving him can clog up the play.

FWIW, I think offense was a little more interesting when the hash marks were set further apart. Then the "wide side of the field" was really wide. Kicking field goals had to be a little tougher. So what? I'm a little tired of seeing a fifty yarder being a gimme.

• Hook 'Em 2

2 hours ago, Hookem2147 said:

If I was a coach I would only call the plays that work and never call the ones that don’t 

If I was the coach I would feature my rock solid tail backs rather than have my Freshman QB chunk the ball to a diva WR that can’t catch.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Rage+1 1

2 hours ago, Irish Wrist Watch said:

Sark's philosophy seems to be: Use heavy deception, roll up and down the field early, and jump up on opponents - then when we're ahead by 14, shut the deception down, go basic, and only go big with plays that have a small chance of working, i.e. long bombs.

Which bodes the question, "Why did Sark eschew his philosophy in the Alamo Bowl?"

On 1/1/2023 at 3:52 PM, Tex Long said:

Ultimately, a Good Coach wins the games he should, and at least occasionally wins a game or two he shouldn't.

A Shit Coach usually loses a game or two he should win, and almost never wins ones he shouldn't.

Oops, sorry to interrupt, fellas... y'all go ahead and get back to Routine Surly.

2-7 against ranked opponents 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 2
  • Rage+1 4

I don’t care for “feelings”, but it wasn’t a good look on Sark coming out of the tunnel with the media guy trying to get the timing right for TV. It wasn’t Sark’s first rodeo coming out of a tunnel for TV, so I’m surprised at his immediate reaction to the guy. I digress.

Hook’em!!!

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Haha 1

13 hours ago, msucolt45 said:

I don’t care for “feelings”, but it wasn’t a good look on Sark coming out of the tunnel with the media guy trying to get the timing right for TV. It wasn’t Sark’s first rodeo coming out of a tunnel for TV, so I’m surprised at his immediate reaction to the guy. I digress.

Hook’em!!!

First bowl game at Texas though.   But actually he’s been to the Alamo bowl before 

Alright @Nicole44 $9.95ers probably gonna ask Sark about this in 2023...

Ryan Day reportedly planning to step back from play calling duties in 2023

DOUG SAMUELS           20 HOURS AGO

Even before Ryan Day and Ohio State kept Georgia's defense on the ropes throughout their College Football Playoff matchup before relinquishing the lead in the game's final minutes, the wheels were turning for Ryan Day looking toward what the Buckeyes will need from him in 2023.

One of the best play callers in college football for years now, Day shared during production meetings with Kirk Herbstreit and ESPN that he's decided to relinquish the offensive play calling duties next fall.

"Ryan Day mentioned in our production meetings that he's going to stop calling plays next year, because he needs to become more of a manager as a head coach, and when you're prepping a game plan there's a lot more that goes into it Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday, Friday to be ready to call those plays on Saturday," Herbstreit shared on-air.

"So he's been thinking about relinquishing those [duties], which would be the first time ever."

With the departure of Kevin Wilson, who held the title of offensive coordinator for the Buckeyes before leaving for the Tulsa head coaching job, it seems like a great opportunity to elevate receivers coach Brian Hartline to the program's play caller spot.

Hartline, the 2021 winner of our FootballScoop Wide Receivers Coach of the Year Award, is one of college football's premier recruiters and has done an incredible job developing the Buckeye receivers over the years and would be a logical odds-on choice to take the reigns of the offense.

If Day decides to go outside to fill the role, the opening would obviously draw significant interest from an incredible cast of candidates.

• Hook 'Em 2

53 minutes ago, 6th Street said:

I thought Kirby Smart sniffing out that fake punt and calling TO was goddamn genius. Then I quickly realized Sark would never possess the in game acumen to make such an adjustment.

Sarkisian wouldn't have even seen it because he would have been looking at his play sheets.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1
  • Rage+1 1

1 hour ago, 6th Street said:

I thought Kirby Smart sniffing out that fake punt and calling TO was goddamn genius. Then I quickly realized Sark would never possess the in game acumen to make such an adjustment.

Didn't Texas call a timeout right as Washington was moving to fake a punt in the Alamo Bowl?  It was hard to tell on TV because they do not show everything, but the announcer suggested as much.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 3