Texas BBQ

Washpark

I think Wayne is a half sibling, or adopted. Mrs. Brat is not up to speed on all the Taylor gossip. She left town in 1963 for college and didn’t keep up with details of what her classmates were doing.

Yes, Wayne is a half-sibling that Trish had before meeting Bobby. I don’t know if he was officially adopted by Bobby or not.

Neither John or Leann cared for Wayne at the time of their passing and I’m pretty sure that was no secret.
  • Hook 'Em 1

16 minutes ago, luke duke said:

Yes, Wayne is a half-sibling that Trish had before meeting Bobby. I don’t know if he was officially adopted by Bobby or not.

Neither John or Leann cared for Wayne at the time of their passing and I’m pretty sure that was no secret.

Yeah, there certainly was some discord in the family after Bobby passed away and Wayne wound up taking over the family store. 
What went on before that is unknown by us. But it’s none of our business anyway. 
I’m sure there will be some mention of it at the Taylor HS reunion in October. About 2 dozen alums from the Class of 1963 usually show up.

7eed203910747084525a1fdbecfa8912.jpg

Brisket and Rice. Must have been an off day. The jalapeno sausage and the ribs were crazy dry. Almost inedible. Brisket was average. Ordered a bbq fried rice to go. The banana pudding was tits. Housemade pickles were a nice touch. Overall, not worth driving to from the heights. Need to go back and try it again I guess…. But right now on par with Big Bertha BBQ down the street. Cant say at this point that its in my Houston top 10.

• Like 1

Brisket and Rice. Must have been an off day. The jalapeno sausage and the ribs were crazy dry. Almost inedible. Brisket was average. Ordered a bbq fried rice to go. The banana pudding was tits. Housemade pickles were a nice touch. Overall, not worth driving to from the heights. Need to go back and try it again I guess…. But right now on par with Big Bertha BBQ down the street. Cant say at this point that its in my Houston top 10.

Bummer.

I haven’t had a bad meal yet.
  • Hook 'Em 1

11 hours ago, GreenspointTexas said:

Agree with swayze; I’ve only been once but it was very very good. The sausage in your pic did not look at all like what I got. Like you said, must’ve been an off day. 

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, futureman said:

image.thumb.jpeg.3b02a7f5d33b1cffb0a9e3a9bb9eccb2.jpeg

interstellar.  very solid but not special.  didn't seem like a #2 in the state #1 in central texas level establishment.  and I had no real complaints about the meat. 

Texas 'cue has really stepped up its game.  We are very fortunate to have so much to choose from these days.  It is hard to believe that Dickey's still has a franchise operation going!

https://franchise.dickeys.com/request-more-info/

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2

I thought more about the earlier discussion regarding La BBQ's statement about being the first women and lesbian owned barbecue joint in the state.  Probably just a post for Pride month as opposed to a specific reaction to Barbs-B-Q's entry into the barbecue scene.

Here's Daniel Vaughn's article about LeAnn Mueller - sounds like a heart attack or something similar. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2

48 minutes ago, Jerry Callo said:

I thought more about the earlier discussion regarding La BBQ's statement about being the first women and lesbian owned barbecue joint in the state.  Probably just a post for Pride month as opposed to a specific reaction to Barbs-B-Q's entry into the barbecue scene.

Here's Daniel Vaughn's article about LeAnn Mueller - sounds like a heart attack or something similar. 

That's a good article and a reminder of how quick this world can end.  Be kind, mend fences and don't forget to tell people you love them.   RIP to the Mueller family. 

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 4

Schoepf's in Belton this past weekend. Probably not quite top 50 caliber, but this is the only place in Bell County that is anywhere close. So much better than Miller's since they upped their game in the past year or so, and Miller's keeps slipping deeper into tourist trap purgatory and lesser bbq where people line up like pigeons to popcorn. Schoepf's doesn't get nearly as crowded.

Still, it was nearly $33 worth of food for not getting stuffed, and that was with water as the beverage. I have to say the ribs were great for St. Louis cut, but they were meaty and delicious. I didn't order burnt ends, but they were left from previous cuts and the pit guy said "would this do?" Not sauced up all foo foo style, just little corner cuts, like real burnt ends. Brisket is really tender and juicy, and quite nice. 

schoepfsjune23.jpg

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 2

Stopped by La BBQ for lunch today.  Ordered ahead online and picked up at 11:45 with no line, no waiting.  There were about 25 people in line when I was there.  No pics because it was to-go.  Moist brisket was cooked well with an incredibly flavorful bark.  Chipotle slaw was way too spicy with both chipotle powder and black pepper.  Probably would have been better without the heavy black pepper.  Glad to see they are still rocking along.

• Like 2

Anyone know how long the wait at Dayne’s typically is?

Got here about noon, stuff was running out quickly once I got closer, but still had brisket.

d619e966368dcb1588bbabe447b1c360.jpg

Brisket is elite, but does need more pepper.

The “cheesy brat” isn’t a brat but was dang good sausage with cheese in it.

797f76859f22d4606f60e5977b9cefcd.jpg

Overall, really damn good.
  • Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 4
  • Drool 1

15 hours ago, futureman said:

image.thumb.jpeg.3b02a7f5d33b1cffb0a9e3a9bb9eccb2.jpeg

interstellar.  very solid but not special.  didn't seem like a #2 in the state #1 in central texas level establishment.  and I had no real complaints about the meat. 

That’s been my read on it, too.  It’s fine but not upper echelon.  

Texas 'cue has really stepped up its game.  We are very fortunate to have so much to choose from these days.  It is hard to believe that Dickey's still has a franchise operation going!

A friend of mine is in upper management at Dickey’s corporate. He had a party a while back and mentioned that he was having BBQ catered. I was pleasantly surprised when Pecan Lodge showed up.
  • Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

Thanks to my in laws. For them Dickey’s and Spring Creek are as good as it gets. We don’t eat together.

We ended up at DFW in the middle of a 36 hour airline trek from NYC to Austin (after a lovely unscheduled overnight in OKC).  Walked up to the gate for our next delayed flight, my wife says "oh look, BBQ!".  My mind defaulted to some local mom & pop that had landed an airport venue, but no, Dickey's.

Uh, I'll have a beer.  Keep 'em coming.

Edited by jimmyjazz
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, conVINCEd said:

Spring Creek used to be ok.   It no longer meets the ok standard.  

My kid worked there for a few months before he got a job at Stanley's.  We ate at SC to be supportive and leave him a good tip (busboy).  The food is beyond ass these days.  The only decent thing if you don't go beg the "dough-ho" (I didn't make that up, but I believe it's the official name for the position) for a hot roll are the pickles.  The rest of it was utter shit.

Edited by dcbc

Panther City still has the best pork ribs. My first time having their turkey and now I get it. 

Sorry for the bad picture. Was in a rush after making my dad wait an hour for lunch on Father's Day.

PXL_20230618_171709081.jpg

Edited by fellside
  • Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 3

On 6/16/2023 at 10:55 AM, hornfan785 said:

Valentina's has moved into their brick and mortar in Buda, and it looks amazing! https://www.instagram.com/reel/CthaLtJJ577/?igshid=MzRlODBiNWFlZA==

Apparently the spot on Manchaca will remain open for the foreseeable future. That's good news to me because I'm not really into driving down to Buda. 

• Hook 'Em 1

46 minutes ago, GreenspointTexas said:

“Down to buda”

9 miles between the two joints

lol, in houston, we have neighborhoods bigger than that

Yeah. That's 18 miles roundtrip on I-35 currently under construction that I don't have to travel. Plus I don't have to be in Buda. These are good things. 

I don't give a shit how far people drive for BBQ in Houston.

• Hook 'Em 4

1 hour ago, hornfan785 said:

Unless you heard something different, this is posted on their website...
6719a1abc634da17ab9a9faf4d8b17af.jpg

Well motherfucker. Their IG account had been saying that they Menchaca location was going to stay open. Maybe I misinterpreted. Well, guess I won't be going to Valentina's that often. But the AC will be nice when we do go there. 

Edit: just checked IG and they said opening weekend was busier than anticipated so they decided to close down the trailer. This sucks.

Edited by irishtexan