2022 Texas Coaching/Support Staff Thread

RaysBoomBoomRoom

9 hours ago, Zhorn96 said:

In n Out in Southern California is good and generally shit anywhere else.  Ive heard it’s cause they source from local suppliers in SoCal and ship it frozen everywhere else.  Might be urban legend and In n Out is nothing special anyway but whatevs

We hit the In-n-Out near LAX late upon arrival prior to the 2006 BCSCG. We decided to replicate that good luck charm in 2010, but it just didn’t hit the spot. Omen, maybe?

A few years later on vacation with my wife and daughters, traveling up the Central Valley (Tulare?), I decided they needed to eat at In-n-Out. Noone was impressed.

Haven’t eaten there since.

I'll add to the fray here.  I will not drop a burger place if the fries are shit.  I'll just not order them again.

• Mighty Fine is well above average and consistent at that.  Not exactly "fast food" though.
  • I like Phil's, especially the Jollyville burger - french toast bun :)
  • Dan's (or Fran's) is a great burger.
  • HopDoddy is asymptotically approaching mediocre.  The first few times was good and it has gotten less compelling each time.  One of my kids ordered a burger "plain" from them.  It was extremely unimpressive.  And - premium pricing...
  • In the 80s and early 90s, Fuddruckers and Chilis had high quality (and quantity) burgers.  The ingredient quality fell off a cliff about 10-15 years ago.  Fuddruckers had VERY good buns - and of course the pump jalapeno cheese.
  • Whataburger has fallen off lately.  The food quality has dropped.  The service has suffered.  I no longer seek it out.
  • I liked Jewboy, but I do not view it as the transcendent burger that others do.
  • First had In N Out in SoCal.  First visit was OK.  Second visit sucked.  Will not give them my business again.
  • If I recall correctly, PTerry's was modeled after In N Out after the Terry's tried to get In N Out to franchise in Texas.  It's better than In N Out.

Large nationals like Burger King, McDonalds, Hardees, Jack, etc. are typically at the bottom of the list for me.  Their only advantage: reasonably predictable floor.  They'll be mediocre to poor, but seldom worse than expected.  Seldom better, too.

9 minutes ago, Tex-19 said:

I can’t believe how many p terrys haters are in here. Never met someone in real life who doesn’t like it. Best by far imo.

I recently had McD’s for the first time in years and…it was delicious I’ll admit

I like P. Terry’s alright except they managed to buy one of shittiest locations in New Braunfels at Hwy 46 and I-35. If you manage to pull in there good luck ever getting out 

14 minutes ago, Hookem2147 said:

I'm not sure...

Working Conditions

• May work in all weather conditions

• May work in extreme temperatures

• May work around standard office conditions

• Repetitive use of a keyboard at a workstation

• Use of manual dexterity

• Climbing of stairs

• Climbing of ladders

• Lifting and moving

• Haha 5

Mighty Fine gets bonus points for the hand spa when you wash up.  Pretty bad ass.  They also have solid fries.

I am not a fan of Hop Daddy.  My wife went on and on about it.  Took the family to the one off I-10 near Gessner.  Burgers expensive and small.   My daughter ordered a shake and it was $8.  I went all Vincent Vega and asked if there was bourbon in it?  The dolt working the register had no clue what I meant.  That’s ice cream and milk for $8.  On top of that, it sucked.  4 burgers, fries, drink and 2 shakes and it was almost $100.  Total bullshit for what we got.  I will never will go back to that over priced shit hole.  For that price I could have gone to B&B Butchers and had a wagyu burger and a cocktail.  

Edited by Harvdog
  • Hook 'Em 1

Of the drive-thru burger places we've mentioned, I think PTerry's is near the top.  

@Harvdog did a really good assessment of Hop Doddy.  For what it's worth, Larry Foles (Nick Foles's father) was one of the "innovators" behind Hop Doddy.  Larry is one of the principals in "Guy And Larry Restaurants" and their portfolio includes Salty Sow and Roaring Fork (among others).  The burgers at Roaring Fork are quite good...

• Hook 'Em 2

12 minutes ago, boilerhorn said:

Of the drive-thru burger places we've mentioned, I think PTerry's is near the top.  

@Harvdog did a really good assessment of Hop Doddy.  For what it's worth, Larry Foles (Nick Foles's father) was one of the "innovators" behind Hop Doddy.  Larry is one of the principals in "Guy And Larry Restaurants" and their portfolio includes Salty Sow and Roaring Fork (among others).  The burgers at Roaring Fork are quite good...

I like Hop Doddy fries and shakes. I haven't been since covid though and it has probably been 4 years since I've had their shakes.

I used to go to Cliff's off Fountainview in Houston. I'm sure it has changed since 20 years ago when I last ate there.

12 hours ago, SydneyCarton said:

Lol. Ok bud. So “cooked to order” and you think they’re efficient/consistent means it’s not fast food? They have counter service, no waiters, and they’re predominantly in strip centers. It’s fast food, bud. Chick fil a is pretty consistent too, I guess they’re not fast food despite double drive thru lines that snake around their buildings. 

The term is fast casual

The best burger and fries I ever had were at Kieke's Snackbar in Brenham, back when I was in middle school.  It was right across the street from the school, was fast, cheap, and out of this world delicious.  I think that most of Brenham went into mourning when it closed.  Every burger since then has been struggling for second.

19 minutes ago, Michael Knight said:

Hopdoddy went downhill once they franchised, same with Torches. 

When did that happen? I'm thinking I've only been a few times since. I make a pretty good burger so between that and just getting one at the club, I don't get one at a restaurant very often. And I almost never do drive-through burger joints.

11 hours ago, Hookem2147 said:

Details

Special Assistant to the Head Coach

UT MAIN CAMPUS
Full time
Posted Yesterday
R_00017767

Job Posting Title:  Special Assistant to the Head Coach

Hiring Department:  Intercollegiate Athletics

Position Open To:  All Applicants

Weekly Scheduled Hours:   40

FLSA Status:  Exempt

Earliest Start Date:  Jan 16, 2022

Position Duration:  Expected to Continue

Job Description:  Assist Head Coach with special projects.

Job Details:

General Notes

Additional hours will be required to include early mornings, evenings, weekends, and holidays. Interstate and intrastate travel is required to include overnight stays.

Responsibilities

• Assist with special projects assigned by the Head Football Coach.

• Assist with the overall practice and game day preparation, statistical analysis, and video analysis of opposing teams.  

• Assist with self-scouting of offensive, defensive and special team's schemes.

• Travel with coaching staff and team to provide statistical support.

• Consistently exemplify the core values (Diversity, Integrity, Accountability, Loyalty, Excellence, Creativity, Teamwork) and quality standards (Safety, Texas Hospitality, Teamwork, Efficiency) of Texas Athletics. Always act ethically. Proactively seek guidance when unsure or unclear of a law, rule or policy applicable to you or your department/sport program. Actively participate in assigned education and training programs. Comply with all laws, policies, rules and regulations set forth by the Board of Regents of The University of Texas System, The University of Texas at Austin, NCAA, Big 12, or other governing body, including state and federal laws. Annually obtain prior written approval and report all outside activities and outside income. Report knowledge of, or reasonable cause to believe, violation(s) of state or federal laws, policies, rules, or regulations of the University, Big 12 Conference, or NCAA to  IA ARMCS or IA HR. Fully cooperate with any investigation by providing complete and accurate information when requested to do so by Texas Athletics and/or the NCAA and do not influence others in any way during an investigation. As an employee of the university, if you witness or receive information about sexual harassment, sexual assault, dating violence or stalking that involves a current student or employee, you have a duty to promptly report the incident to the University’s Title IX Coordinator or a Deputy Title IX Coordinator. Reports may be made by phone, email or online. An employee who does not report an incident or who makes a false report is subject to termination and may be charged with a criminal offense (Class A or Class B misdemeanor). For more information about employee responsibilities under Title IX, including information about confidential employee reporting exceptions, please visit the Title IX website at http://titleix.utexas.edu.

Required Qualifications

Bachelor's degree.  Experience with football as a former player, on field coach, or support staff member at an elite level. Demonstrated excellent interpersonal and communication skills to enhance interaction with student-athletes, peers, alumni, administrative personnel, and the community. Relevant education and experience may be substituted as appropriate.  Relevant experience as a student-athlete or as a staff member with Division I collegiate athletics football program.

Relevant education and experience may be substituted as appropriate.

Preferred Qualifications

Experience as an Offensive or Defensive Coordinator in a Division I Collegiate or NFL football program.

Driving Required

This job requires a class "C" operator's driver's license. The applicant selected must provide a current three year driving record from the current state of residence. If not currently a Texas resident, a Texas driver's license must be obtained within 30 days of becoming a Texas resident.

Salary Range

OPEN

Working Conditions

• May work in all weather conditions

• May work in extreme temperatures

• May work around standard office conditions

• Repetitive use of a keyboard at a workstation

• Use of manual dexterity

• Climbing of stairs

• Climbing of ladders

• Lifting and moving

Required Materials

• Resume/CV

• 3 work references with their contact information; at least one reference should be from a supervisor

• Letter of interest

Important for applicants who are NOT current university employees or contingent workers: You will be prompted to submit your resume the first time you apply, then you will be provided an option to upload a new Resume for subsequent applications. Any additional Required Materials (letter of interest, references, etc.) will be uploaded in the Application Questions section; you will be able to multi-select additional files. Before submitting your online job application, ensure that ALL Required Materials have been uploaded.  Once your job application has been submitted, you cannot make changes.

Important for Current university employees and contingent workers: As a current university employee or contingent worker, you MUST apply within Workday by searching for Find UT Jobs. If you are a current University employee, log-in to Workday, navigate to your Worker Profile, click the Career link in the left hand navigation menu and then update the sections in your Professional Profile before you apply. This information will be pulled in to your application. The application is one page and you will be prompted to upload your resume. In addition, you must respond to the application questions presented to upload any additional Required Materials (letter of interest, references, etc.) that were noted above.

Employment Eligibility:

Regular staff who have been employed in their current position for the last six continuous months are eligible for openings being recruited for through University-Wide or Open Recruiting, to include both promotional opportunities and lateral transfers. Staff who are promotion/transfer eligible may apply for positions without supervisor approval.

Retirement Plan Eligibility:

The retirement plan for this position is Teacher Retirement System of Texas (TRS), subject to the position being at least 20 hours per week and at least 135 days in length.

Background Checks:

A criminal history background check will be required for finalist(s) under consideration for this position.

Equal Opportunity Employer:

The University of Texas at Austin, as an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer, complies with all applicable federal and state laws regarding nondiscrimination and affirmative action. The University is committed to a policy of equal opportunity for all persons and does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, national origin, age, marital status, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, disability, religion, or veteran status in employment, educational programs and activities, and admissions.

Pay Transparency:

The University of Texas at Austin will not discharge or in any other manner discriminate against employees or applicants because they have inquired about, discussed, or disclosed their own pay or the pay of another employee or applicant. However, employees who have access to the compensation information of other employees or applicants as a part of their essential job functions cannot disclose the pay of other employees or applicants to individuals who do not otherwise have access to compensation information, unless the disclosure is (a) in response to a formal complaint or charge, (b) in furtherance of an investigation, proceeding, hearing, or action, including an investigation conducted by the employer, or (c) consistent with the contractor’s legal duty to furnish information.

Employment Eligibility Verification:

If hired, you will be required to complete the federal Employment Eligibility Verification I-9 form.  You will be required to present acceptable and original documents to prove your identity and authorization to work in the United States.  Documents need to be presented no later than the third day of employment.  Failure to do so will result in loss of employment at the university.

E-Verify:

The University of Texas at Austin use E-Verify to check the work authorization of all new hires effective May 2015. The university’s company ID number for purposes of E-Verify is 854197. For more information about E-Verify, please see the following:

Compliance:

Employees may be required to report violations of law under Title IX and the Jeanne Clery Disclosure of Campus Security Policy and Crime Statistics Act (Clery Act). If this position is identified a Campus Security Authority (Clery Act), you will be notified and provided resources for reporting. Responsible employees under Title IX are defined and outlined in HOP-3031.

The Clery Act requires all prospective employees be notified of the availability of the Annual Security and Fire Safety report. You may access the 2021 report here or obtain a copy at University Compliance Services, 1616 Guadalupe, Suite UTA 2.206, Austin, TX 78701.

• Hook 'Em 2

23 hours ago, Harvdog said:

Shortstop had solid burger's and fries.  I use to go to the one off William Cannon and Menchaca.  Very underrated in my opinion. 

Shortstop is the same as Sandy's. It's the same burger. Not sure why they have different branding. I live around the corner from a Short Stop and I hit it up probably once a month. 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

From FCB:

Sources close to the situation told Horns247 Patterson met Friday with Texas coach Steve Sarkisian and the UT coaching staff, toured the Longhorns’ football complex in the south end of DKR and had a productive, positive meeting.

Patterson, who turns 62 on Feb. 13, was the head coach at TCU for 21 years with a record of 181-79, winning six conference championships, before being let go when the Horned Frogs fell to 3-5 following a loss to Kansas State on Oct. 30. TCU finished the 2021 season 5-7 and hired SMU coach Sonny Dykes to replace Patterson.

Patterson has long been considered one of the best defensive minds in college football and knows Texas defensive coordinator Pete Kwiatkowskifrom their days competing against each other when TCU was in the Mountain West and Kwiatkowski was at Boise State under Chris Petersen. Kwiatkowski was the defensive line coach at Boise State when the Broncos defeated TCU 17-10 in the Fiesta Bowl capping the 2009 season, when the Horned Frogs finished 12-1.

Patterson, however, brings more to the Texas football program than expertise on defense or how to scout Big 12 opponents. Patterson has an excellent working knowledge of how the Texas program works, including booster involvement, thanks to his wife, Kelsey, who worked for former UT athletic director DeLoss Dodds when she was a student at Texas.

Kelsey then went on to work for Lincoln Properties, a highly successful real estate company run by Texas booster Bill Duval.

Gary Patterson also still has a close relationship with Texas athletic director Chris Del Conte, who served as Patterson’s athletic director at TCU from 2009-17. That stretch included a 13-0 season in 2010 (capped by a Rose Bowl win over Wisconsin), two 12-1 seasons as well as the Horned Frogs transition to the Big 12 in 2012.

In other words, depending on how the Sarkisian-Patterson relationship develops, Patterson could serve as a quasi-general manager for Sarkisian in assisting with athletic department matters, booster relations and much more than just football.

According to source who knows Patterson well, Patterson “is excited about helping Texas and Steve Sarkisian any way he can.”

• Hook 'Em 7

9 minutes ago, Hookem2147 said:

From FCB:

Sources close to the situation told Horns247 Patterson met Friday with Texas coach Steve Sarkisian and the UT coaching staff, toured the Longhorns’ football complex in the south end of DKR and had a productive, positive meeting.

Patterson, who turns 62 on Feb. 13, was the head coach at TCU for 21 years with a record of 181-79, winning six conference championships, before being let go when the Horned Frogs fell to 3-5 following a loss to Kansas State on Oct. 30. TCU finished the 2021 season 5-7 and hired SMU coach Sonny Dykes to replace Patterson.

Patterson has long been considered one of the best defensive minds in college football and knows Texas defensive coordinator Pete Kwiatkowskifrom their days competing against each other when TCU was in the Mountain West and Kwiatkowski was at Boise State under Chris Petersen. Kwiatkowski was the defensive line coach at Boise State when the Broncos defeated TCU 17-10 in the Fiesta Bowl capping the 2009 season, when the Horned Frogs finished 12-1.

Patterson, however, brings more to the Texas football program than expertise on defense or how to scout Big 12 opponents. Patterson has an excellent working knowledge of how the Texas program works, including booster involvement, thanks to his wife, Kelsey, who worked for former UT athletic director DeLoss Dodds when she was a student at Texas.

Kelsey then went on to work for Lincoln Properties, a highly successful real estate company run by Texas booster Bill Duval.

Gary Patterson also still has a close relationship with Texas athletic director Chris Del Conte, who served as Patterson’s athletic director at TCU from 2009-17. That stretch included a 13-0 season in 2010 (capped by a Rose Bowl win over Wisconsin), two 12-1 seasons as well as the Horned Frogs transition to the Big 12 in 2012.

In other words, depending on how the Sarkisian-Patterson relationship develops, Patterson could serve as a quasi-general manager for Sarkisian in assisting with athletic department matters, booster relations and much more than just football.

According to source who knows Patterson well, Patterson “is excited about helping Texas and Steve Sarkisian any way he can.”

Gary Patterson doing booster relations is not something I saw coming. GP can give away autographed game used sweat towels for box level donors.   

• Like 1
  • Haha 1