Lincoln Riley to USC

Landomatic

On 11/5/2023 at 10:43 PM, troph said:

If a player wants a percentage of ownership because he plays he can get straight fucked if I’m an owner. 

Why not? Most teams are jointly-owned so they already have legal and administrative structure in place. If dude is supposed to get a 7-digit guarantee or however much, whats the harm in exchanging some of that for equity. No difference from key employees offered shares in lieu of cash. 

1 hour ago, 52-80 said:

Why not? Most teams are jointly-owned so they already have legal and administrative structure in place. If dude is supposed to get a 7-digit guarantee or however much, whats the harm in exchanging some of that for equity. No difference from key employees offered shares in lieu of cash. 

transient services by their very nature. average NFL tenure is 3 years. In the history of the NFL there are only 20 players that have a tenure of 20 years or more. Players are already paid extremely well, especially those that would demand equity. While the entertainment component is extremely important I think the equity value relates to much more of the business - so I think a GM for example and possibly an operations person has a more compelling case for equity compensation.  Also, except for transformative players, I'm not sure how much their on the field success equates to equity value for the long term.  Short term yes. So, I could see profit sharing easily. A player leads the team to SB championships and that increases apparel and ticket sales for a period of years, that player had a direct impact. But outside of a handful of players, I don't see a single player having the same kind of impact on equity value the way the business employees do.  Do not get me wrong, I absolutely think players should be paid handsomely and potentially out of profits. BUT when you strike a $50,000,000 per year deal - and those are the players that could demand equity - you're already being paid handsomely for your talents.

• Hook 'Em 1

10 minutes ago, SubliminalHorn said:

I think I would literally laugh out loud if I was an owner and that demand came from a rookie-to-be. Like seriously laugh

As an Owner, I believe I would inform my GM that, should he be stupid enough to draft Caleb, he would be meeting Chuy y El Flaco, and it would be a very discomforting meeting indeed.

• Hook 'Em 2

3 hours ago, troph said:

transient services by their very nature. average NFL tenure is 3 years. In the history of the NFL there are only 20 players that have a tenure of 20 years or more. Players are already paid extremely well, especially those that would demand equity.

Why does the short tenure preclude being paid in equity? A dollar is a dollar in cash or at agreed valuation. 

if dude wants to exchange his 10M for 1/3rd of a percent of the team or whatever, why not. It’ll mean fuck-all in terms of his control, and too small yo meaningfully create a conflict of interest even if he plays for a different team (which they can contractually stipulate liquidation, if needed). 

throw dude his token bone. 🦴 

2 hours ago, 52-80 said:

Why does the short tenure preclude being paid in equity? A dollar is a dollar in cash or at agreed valuation. 

if dude wants to exchange his 10M for 1/3rd of a percent of the team or whatever, why not. It’ll mean fuck-all in terms of his control, and too small yo meaningfully create a conflict of interest even if he plays for a different team (which they can contractually stipulate liquidation, if needed). 

throw dude his token bone. 🦴 

Because a short tenure cuts against the argument of creating lasting brand value for the franchise which is generally the basis for granting equity comp.  Doesn’t mean a short tenure absolutely means a person won’t create such value. But again that’s only one factor.

Doing yardwork this morning, I came up with a crazy-assed idea that Riley is interviewing elsewhere. The year he left ou, it was apparent in retrospect he was mailing it in. Ou won a lot of games but the team was scraping by games that should’ve been blowouts.

Riley was pissed that ou was going sec. Same thing happened at usc except now he has a lot more travel to the rust belt.  I think he wasn’t into the small town life on norman. Granted, it would be a pain in the ass to get coaching advice when you’re just trying to buy stuff at the grocery store. In a city, no one gives a shit who you are.

I’m calling my shot. Riley to Univ of Miami. It may be the bourbon talking.

13 minutes ago, cmontexas said:

He probably has an NFL job lined up already. I'll call my shot. The Panthers dickhead owner fires Reich after one year and gives Lincoln huge money to fix the Bryce Young mistake. Another easy division too

I’d believe this long before a SC to Miami move.

If he’s smart he’s working on NFL post haste.  SC has repeatedly proven there isn’t patience for rebuilding. A slow start next year would be about it.

On 11/10/2023 at 6:20 AM, Herpa Derpa said:

Watching him sit in the green room for a bit would be glorious. Even not being #1 would be high entertainment.

On the flip side, I don't think he wants to go to the worst team.  The browns ain't in it for a QB but there's some bad franchises up there. 

Bears

Giants

Falcons

12 hours ago, Incredulity said:

I’d believe this long before a SC to Miami move.

If he’s smart he’s working on NFL post haste.  SC has repeatedly proven there isn’t patience for rebuilding. A slow start next year would be about it.

I think NFL owners will shy away from Riley. You need to field a defense in the NFL. Riley has shown he’s incompetent wrt any aspect of defense or choosing a defensive coordinator.

I suspect NFL owners consider Coach Bro’s experience at the cardinals as a lesson in college coaches who know nothing about defense. 

Recruiting to Miami would be easy given the HS talent there. I have no clue if Miami has a NIL program but I suspect there’s wealthy people around miami that just want to be hangers-on and are willing to pay through the nose for the privilege.

Caleb Williams is a great player and sadly, both him and LR chose poorly.  USC is going to be awful next year if LR is there.  They both should have stayed at Oklahoma and worked on improving the defense.  OU is better off with LR moving on.  USC was a total rebuild and nothing in LR's resume suggests he's suited for that.  He's a glorified OC.

LR finished year 2 with going 1-5 in the back half of the season.  Had he done this at a program like Bama, Ohio State, Oklahoma, or Georgia, he'd either be fired or be put on the clock for next season.  

Edited by Aqua Buddha
  • Haha 2

Next season's schedule.  I see a lot of losses:

Sept. 1

LSU

Las Vegas, Nev.

No. 13, 6-2

Sept. 7

Utah State

Los Angeles Memorial Coliseum

3-5

Sept. 14

BYE

Sept. 21

Michigan

Ann Arbor, Mich.

No. 2, 8-0

Sept. 28

Wisconsin

5-3

Oct. 5

Minnesota

Minneapolis, Minn.

5-3

Oct. 12

Penn State

No. 9, 7-1

Oct. 19

Maryland

College Park, Md.

5-3

Oct. 26

Rutgers

6-2

Nov. 2

Washington

Seattle, Wash.

No. 5, 8-0

Nov. 9

BYE

Nov. 16

Nebraska

5-3

Nov. 23

UCLA

Pasadena, Calif.

No. 20, 6-2

Nov. 30

Notre Dame

No. 12, 7-2

Seems he's on the hot seat now.  Even at OU, he was rather aloof behind the scenes.  While no one really hated him, no one really loved him, either.  He doesn't build up any goodwill and there are guys like that and they're good coaches.  That's a tough schedule next season, especially without CW.  Might his last there if things go south.  

https://www.latimes.com/sports/usc/story/2023-11-18/lincoln-riley-usc-coaching-hot-seat-loss-ucla

20 hours ago, Aqua Buddha said:

Seems he's on the hot seat now.  Even at OU, he was rather aloof behind the scenes.  While no one really hated him, no one really loved him, either.  He doesn't build up any goodwill and there are guys like that and they're good coaches.  That's a tough schedule next season, especially without CW.  Might his last there if things go south.  

https://www.latimes.com/sports/usc/story/2023-11-18/lincoln-riley-usc-coaching-hot-seat-loss-ucla

he's not on the hot seat. his buyout is 60-90m and he is like 2 years into a 10 year $110m guaranteed contract.

USC isn't A&M or anyone else who is going to eat 60m+ to buyout a football coach.

you think they are going to fire him next year? christ are you a helobious sock?

Edited by NoName

https://coacheshotseat.com/

1.  Lincoln Riley, USC – One would think in Lincoln Riley’s 26 th game as the Head Coach of the Mighty USC Trojans that the USC program would be ROLLING and we mean whipping the Hell outta folks but actually in that 26 th game against cross-town rival UCLA Riley’s team…

Didn’t even show-up and didn’t seem to ever care that there was a football game on Saturday!

How in Hell exactly can your ass be making over $10M a year and you cannot get your football team ready and motivated to play your biggest rival UCLA?

That’s Is Lincoln Riley’s Only Damn Job and Riley has Totally Failed in his Only Damn Job and if we were the AD at USC we would have fired Riley’s ass on the field right after the game and when it comes to Worthless Arrogant Bastards like Riley who hasn’t worked…

1 Damn Day of his Life in the Real World

…if the Boy is not getting his ass kissed by everyone 24/7 365….think the Dabo Swinney of the West Coast…then in our opinion USC is not going to get…

Damn Anything from Riley from here on out so you might as well run his ass now…or run it one year from today!

In his last 14 games at USC Lincoln Riley is…

7 – 7

…and the Trojans could have easily lost to…

Colorado
Arizona
California

…this season and be looking at a Losing Record in Riley’s second year on the job when many had the Trojans going undefeated in Year 2 of the Riley regime!

Everyone with a 2+ IQ knew that after the 2022 season that USC had to fix their Defense and what does Riley do to address that issue?

Not One Damn Thing leaving Alex Grinch in charge who he had to fire during the season to at least show his ass was doing something but this goes much deeper than just the USC Defense being a Total Disaster because the Trojans Football Team…

Did Not Give 1 Damn Rip about playing against UCLA on Saturday

…and for that Riley’s ass should have already been fired and given 30 minutes to get everything cleared-out and off the USC campus!

We wrote and said and Tweeted and told anyone that would listen for years that Clay Helton was a Total Disaster and was going to Destroy USC Football if allowed to hang around coaching the Trojans but after his first full 2 seasons on the job as the Head Coach at USC Helton’s record was..

21 – 6

Lincoln Riley’s record after 2 seasons with a bowl game left…

18 – 8

In Year 3 Clay Helton went 5 – 7 and Clay had a Helluva Lot More coming back to play for the Trojans in Year 3 than what Riley has coming back in 2024 and…wait for it…

USC is headed into the Big Ten Conference!

USC’s 2024 Football Schedule >

LSU – Las Vegas
Utah State
At Michigan
Wisconsin
At Minnesota
Penn State
At Maryland
Rutgers
At Washington
Nebraska
At UCLA
Notre Dame

How many games you think the USC is gonna win next season realizing now that…

The USC Football Team has already Totally Quit on Lincoln Riley in 2023!

Got another 5, 6, or 7 win season?

That is why Lincoln Riley should be fired TODAY before this gets worse….a Helluva Lot Worse!

• Haha 2

4 minutes ago, NoName said:

i can't imagine he has a "walk way from $0" clause like Jimbo did, but they are private and don't have to release their contracts sadly

I am not a contract lawyer , but I'd imagine if USC and Lincoln Mutually want to change the contract to let him go to A&M they can do that 

Only A&M would be dumb enough to give Reilly another Jimbo / Reilly type contract after his performance at A&M