Lincoln Riley to USC

Landomatic

Riley is a great coach who didn’t recruit quite good enough on the defensive side of the ball in Norman, because it’s Norman. In LA, his recruiting will be way better and his teams will be spectacular as long as he has a strong DC.  Great hire. Great move by Riley. 

8 minutes ago, dcar00 said:

well this year yeah. they should have lost to Kansas, lost to Baylor, and lost to OSU with other close calls.

so for context, he still has a better record in his 5 years at OU than Stoops did in his last 5 years.  the OU people trying to say Riley had a bad trend going have a bit of Saban Syndrome.

And that's the other thing - plenty of OU fans are self-aware to realize that OU has gotten plenty of....close calls.  

Stoops quickly turned around a 5-4 conference team.  Do you think that Riley could?

And would Stoops have lost first-round CFP games three years in a row?

Edit: I think he can succeed in California.  But not competing for CFP success.

Edited by atomheartbevo

Just now, ChiTownDoc said:

Kentucky is a black hole.  He’s a great coach.  I don’t want flashy.  Venables as I said above too.  

I don’t know if it’s true or not but there is something keeping Venables from seeking a HC job. I’d moneywhip Aranda or Rhule (he looks lost with the Panthers and the owner is not happy with him at all) or keep Stoops a year and see what shakes down. Stoops can hold the fort until it’s a buyer’s market. 

• Hook 'Em 1

Just now, ChiTownDoc said:

Kentucky is a black hole.  He’s a great coach.  I don’t want flashy.  Venables as I said above too.  

You’d be better off with Fickell. Venables doesn’t seem like HC material to me. Mark is a solid coach and can surprise. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, atomheartbevo said:

And that's the other thing - plenty of OU fans are self-aware to realize that OU has gotten plenty of....close calls.  

Stoops quickly turned around a 5-4 conference team.  Do you think that Riley could?

And would Stoops have lost first-round CFP games three years in a row?

that was 20+ years ago for stoops.  but yes.  and assuming SC beats Cal we are going to find out if he can turn around a 4-5 team.

and yes to Big Game Bob losing 3 CFP playoff games in a row.

Just now, dcar00 said:

that was 20+ years ago for stoops.  but yes.  and assuming SC beats Cal we are going to find out if he can turn around a 4-5 team.

and yes to Big Game Bob losing 3 CFP playoff games in a row.

Yeah, we seem to all be forgetting that Big Game Bob had a terrible run in real big games. Riley’s had a better record than Stoops over Stoops’ last years. And we’re really gonna start talking about games he “could have/should have” lost? 

There’s no guaranteed thing in CFB, but this is as great a hire as USC could have made and a blow for BlowU. 

Just now, Surly Bevo said:

I guess the question will be how fast does OU want to move?  If they want to move quickly Fickell and his quest to guide Cincy to a CFP seem like a non-starter.  I don't think this one would get done quietly enough and if you want to project stability you can't wait until January.  

if the bring in Bob as interim he's probably got enough gravitas to hold a class together.