Lincoln Riley to USC

Landomatic

6 minutes ago, DefinitelyNotHollywoodColt said:

OK > California is quite possibly the worst take I’ve ever read. Y’all are fucking idiots. No offense.

top college corches work a shit tonne of hours they are not out and about doing all the "cool kids shit" wherever they live

people say LR is worth $25 or $30 million maybe, but that is probably going to generate him an income of less than $900,000 with the tax rates in California and not much more in Oklahoma with conservative long term investing

that is a shit tonne of money on just investment income, but that goes a hell of a lot less far in California and all of his new income leaves a hell of a lot more for him to continue to invest after taxes in Oklahoma vs California

people that work a shit tonne of hours and that are really rich with "FU money" can afford to take a vacation anywhere they wish for all the available vacation time they have when they do get that time......that includes going to California or places much nice, funner, and cooler than that

even people that have major FU money and that live in California (or other "cool places") and have lots of free time still have to put u with some of the bullshit that comes with living in those places and sometimes living in another place and visiting other places makes it a lot easier to put up with a lot less bullshit and for a lot lower cost with the same or more enjoyment

Oklahoma might not be the top place to make that choice, but when that is where the high paying job is well that is the choices you have to evaluate

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I really hope OU doesn't get Rhule or obviously Urban. Both would be upgrades imo.

Kliff rumors seem like bs but would be a boom/bust hire anyway.

After that, if I'm OU I'm looking at Campbell, Aranda, Fickell, and Gundy. They'll probably include Mark Stoops too. I hope it's him.

5 minutes ago, Jive Turkey said:

Lincoln is gonna buy a sweet ass house in Manhattan Beach near the ocean.  His wife will be in heaven.  Not a bad commute to USC from there.  That beats the ever living hell out of anywhere in Oklahoma and/or Baton Rouge.

i'll take one of these:

https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/825-Highview-Ave-Manhattan-Beach-CA-90266/20417444_zpid/?

https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/224-29th-St-Manhattan-Beach-CA-90266/20421029_zpid/?

I like the second one. That first one is a 1.5 million dollar house in the Woodlands.

• Hook 'Em 1

24 minutes ago, quigley said:

There's apparently something in Venables past that eliminates him from being a head coach at a top school. People have brought it up since he was a successful DC at OU. I think he'd be a reasonable choice for OU, if he'd take the job now. I doubt he'd want it actually.

I read a rumor a long time ago that, when he was an assistant at KSU, he fucked the daughter of some very important boosters and they were incredibly pissed about it. So pissed that he's essentially banned from ever coaching there again. So maybe he fucks rich chicks in every college town besides Clemson, and their parents have him blackballed??

2 minutes ago, ButtFumble said:

top college corches work a shit tonne of hours they are not out and about doing all the "cool kids shit" wherever they live

people say LR is worth $25 or $30 million maybe, but that is probably going to generate him an income of less than $900,000 with the tax rates in California and not much more in Oklahoma with conservative long term investing

that is a shit tonne of money on just investment income, but that goes a hell of a lot less far in California and all of his new income leaves a hell of a lot more for him to continue to invest after taxes in Oklahoma vs California

people that work a shit tonne of hours and that are really rich with "FU money" can afford to take a vacation anywhere they wish for all the available vacation time they have when they do get that time......that includes going to California or places much nice, funner, and cooler than that

even people that have major FU money and that live in California (or other "cool places") and have lots of free time still have to put u with some of the bullshit that comes with living in those places and sometimes living in another place and visiting other places makes it a lot easier to put up with a lot less bullshit and for a lot lower cost with the same or more enjoyment

Oklahoma might not be the top place to make that choice, but when that is where the high paying job is well that is the choices you have to evaluate

Stahp.

Lincoln is gonna buy a sweet ass house in Manhattan Beach near the ocean.  His wife will be in heaven.  Not a bad commute to USC from there.  That beats the ever living hell out of anywhere in Oklahoma and/or Baton Rouge.
i'll take one of these:
https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/825-Highview-Ave-Manhattan-Beach-CA-90266/20417444_zpid/?
https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/224-29th-St-Manhattan-Beach-CA-90266/20421029_zpid/?

I lived in MB for a couple of years and it is so so so fucking awesome. With money? Sheeeeeeeiiit.
  • Hook 'Em 1

1 minute ago, ButtFumble said:

Are you listening to yourself?  What are you going to do with 12 million dollars a year in a place like Norman or Baton Rouge.  Even Bob Stoops lives in Chicago part time.  When you get to that level of wealth, you don't want to live in a shithole unless you have major family ties.  Yes, I know there are anomalies.  Basically, Lincoln, like most sane people would rather pocket 7 million in Malibu than 9 million (per year) in Norman.  Don't blame him.  Plus, he could get more endorsements out here.

Now, if you make 50k a year and want a larger house, pocket money and not shit yourself when you order the appetizer at Applebees, yes, go with the LCOL place.  But it's not like Lincoln can take an extra vacation because he lives in Norman over Malibu

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

Just now, mdmost said:

All he's got to do is take the 1 to the 105 and then take the 110 all the way there. He could even take Manhattan Beach Blvd to the 405. 

200.gif

All the time I lived there I never got used to putting "the" in front of the numbers.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, babysdaddy said:

I lived in MB for a couple of years and it is so so so fucking awesome. With money? Sheeeeeeeiiit.

Yeah, I lived there for two years and thought it was great.  Many people who diss LA live in a shithole suburb next to a gas station and trampoline park.

With that said, LA is large and a majority is the same as the most miserable parts of big cities.

• Hook 'Em 2

2 hours ago, ChiTownDoc said:

This.  And at some point OU will crash and burn badly (again).  But I’m ok tuning those years out.  I’m not some hardcore lunatic or I wouldn’t be so happy hanging out w you assholes and all your hot takes about how much OU sucks.  

The first rule of hardcore lunacy is to deny you are a lunatic when no one accused of being a lunatic, which no one ever would, because you hang out here, which by default, makes you a lunatic.

Abracadabra

Praise Bob

Praise the Laser Projekt

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, closetohumping said:

Are you listening to yourself?  What are you going to do with 12 million dollars a year in a place like Norman or Baton Rouge.  Even Bob Stoops lives in Chicago part time.  When you get to that level of wealth, you don't want to live in a shithole unless you have major family ties.  Yes, I know there are anomalies.  Basically, Lincoln, like most sane people would rather pocket 7 million in Malibu than 9 million (per year) in Norman.  Don't blame him.  Plus, he could get more endorsements out here.

Now, if you make 50k a year and want a larger house, pocket money and not shit yourself when you order the appetizer at Applebees, yes, go with the LCOL place.  But it's not like Lincoln can take an extra vacation because he lives in Norman over Malibu

I get what people are saying, but in his case he is young and he is looking at jobs where coaches have not lasted longer than 5 years recently and probably will continue to not last longer than 5 years

he is a bit of an asshole for sure and yes he could go through the "Saban School" if he gets fired from LSU, USC, or OU, but he is not interested in being a coordinator

you can make money while you are young and put it in the bank or you can spend a lot more than half of your after tax income for 5 years to be in the "cool place" and have a lot less money in the bank and a lot less of an investment return on your currently banked income because you are in the "cool pace"

and if shit goes really bad you can lose $1,000,000 or more on your cool house when you pack up and leave

and I doubt Bob has a big ass $8 million dollar place in Chicago he probably has an average to slightly above average condo that he bought at a lot lower price point than now and I would imagine he has some business there to help with that as well

This is actually happening right now?  A debate about the quality of life difference between Southern California and Norman/OKC, Oklahoma?  

We're being serious right now?  On a fucking UT-centric message board?  

And this is not tongue-in-cheek?  This is some of y'all's honest opinions on how people choose to live their lives?  And you same people are allowed to vote, own property, and buy guns?  

Holy Fucking Shit.  A new low for Surly every other week. 

I get some of y'all wanna ride the Stupid Train hard to the SEC for the next several months...but this is not the way.  Embracing quality of life differences between a third world country and one of the best places to live if you're a multi-millionaire?  

Edited by Lobo

5 minutes ago, ButtFumble said:

I get what people are saying, but in his case he is young and he is looking at jobs where coaches have not lasted longer than 5 years recently and probably will continue to not last longer than 5 years

he is a bit of an asshole for sure and yes he could go through the "Saban School" if he gets fired from LSU, USC, or OU, but he is not interested in being a coordinator

you can make money while you are young and put it in the bank or you can spend a lot more than half of your after tax income for 5 years to be in the "cool place" and have a lot less money in the bank and a lot less of an investment return on your currently banked income because you are in the "cool pace"

and if shit goes really bad you can lose $1,000,000 or more on your cool house when you pack up and leave

and I doubt Bob has a big ass $8 million dollar place in Chicago he probably has an average to slightly above average condo that he bought at a lot lower price point than now and I would imagine he has some business there to help with that as well

I'm too lazy to look up Lincoln's salary history or expenditures but the guy ain't hurting for money and he can absolutely be a HC somewhere for the next 25 years of his life, barring a horrible scandal.  

I'll say this, there are a lot of people here in cAlifornia who make a lot less than Lincoln that will never leave.  And they are well aware that their dollar would go further anywhere else.

Also, what makes you think a house in Manhattan Beach would depreciate faster than a very likely custom home in Norman.  If he builds an 8 million dollar home here vs in Norman, which one would get sold faster?  There are a lot more millionaires out here and beach front property, or any California property is a finite resourse.

There are a lot of athletes that live out here and they don't all play for the teams out here. Tiny example, but DYK Odell Beckham and Anthony Davis had homes out here before they were traded to their respective teams.

Edited by closetohumping
  • Hook 'Em 1

2 minutes ago, Scheiss Meister said:

With the announcement coming this quickly after OU's last regular season game, does it occur to anyone else that this may have been worked out, signed, sealed, and delivered when USC fired Helton?

That's gonna be the interesting part, especially with the recruiting ahh focus.  If this was agreed to in principle a while back and Riley has done things the way he has done them recruiting wise that's pretty god damn cold and calculating....and makes me maybe like him just a little.  

• Haha 1