[Discussion] Mass Shooting at Uvalde Elementary School

That’s because we woefully underfund our public schools. We have decided it’s too expensive (read: we will never raise taxes ever) to retrofit our existing infrastructure to provide the necessary safeguards to protect our children from these kids of tragedies. Fuck, many of the schools in Austin have multiple portables with no more protection than a latch lock. I’d be interested to know what district the poster at the beginning of the thread lives in whose kid goes to a school with bulletproof glass and armed guards at a single entrance.

We can talk about the second amendment all we want. That’s a discussion for the cloak room. But we won’t even consider allocating public dollars to infrastructure improvements that could help make it more difficult for active shooters to successfully carry out these horrific events. We’ve got 35+ kids to a classroom. No armed cops or security guards on campus. Portables. Underpaid and over stressed teachers and administration.

Shit, my wife is an elementary school counselor in AISD and they received literal death threats during pride week. The reasons for which are probably a cloak room thread. But I hope we all can agree that teachers and school administrators shouldn’t have to deal with death threats for political reasons, or from psychotic 18 year old fuckfaces like this guy.

Something has to change. A lot of things have to change.

Nothing will change. Not one. Single. Thing.
You know it and I know it. Fuck this shit.
  • Hook 'Em 1

4 minutes ago, Anastasis said:

Extremely sad and heart breaking. Trying to catch up on this whole thing.  Was the school not controlled access? I have to get buzzed in when I go to my kid's elementary school.  Is this not common protocol?  How was this fuck able to access the school building?   

He probably shot his way inside like the Sandy Hook shooter did.

I see a lot of people trying to rationalize why this could never happen at their kids’ school. There’s been shootings at schools with armed security/police present (virtually all modern ones, even Columbine) metal detectors (Red Lake) bulletproof controlled access (Colorado charter school, sandy hook, maybe this one). If someone wants to hurt people bad enough they’ll find a way. 

• Hook 'Em 2

2 minutes ago, irishtexan said:

Shit, my wife is an elementary school counselor in AISD and they received literal death threats during pride week. The reasons for which are probably a cloak room thread. But I hope we all can agree that teachers and school administrators shouldn’t have to deal with death threats for political reasons, or from psychotic 18 year old fuckfaces like this guy.

One of our nearby elementary schools here in Austin was/is having a pride event for students, and they were having to make extra security arrangements, and a lot of parents were planning on showing up "just in case", because some people elsewhere were pissed off about such an event.  And this was before today.

And I'm not far away from the Jewish temple/school that was targeted by the asshat from San Marco who tried to burn it down, and they've had to have a police/security presence every day that school is in session.

• Rage+1 1

10 minutes ago, Anastasis said:

Extremely sad and heart breaking. Trying to catch up on this whole thing.  Was the school not controlled access? I have to get buzzed in when I go to my kid's elementary school.  Is this not common protocol?  How was this fuck able to access the school building?   

My older kid's school was recently renovated with new security doors. It would not take a motivated shooter longer than 30 seconds to gain access to the school by shooting out the window portions and climbing through. Then the office staff is the first set of targets he would have. Hell, a pissed off parent could easily be buzzed in and then go on a rampage. Fortifying a school isn't the answer. Not in this shit ass state that barely funds anything to begin with. DISD had to pay for the new security measures with bond money. Not state money. So in effect, I'm paying for those security measures with my local property taxes before some asshole in Austin decides to fully fund public schools here. You think all schools will get equal funding for this? In this state? 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Rage+1 2

1 minute ago, mdmost said:

My older kid's school was recently renovated with new security doors. It would not take a motivated shooter longer than 30 seconds to gain access to the school by shooting out the window portions and climbing through. Then the office staff is the first set of targets he would have. Hell, a pissed off parent could easily be buzzed in and then go on a rampage. Fortifying a school isn't the answer. Not in this shit ass state that barely funds anything to begin with. DISD had to pay for the new security measures with bond money. Not state money. So in effect, I'm paying for those security measures with my local property taxes before some asshole in Austin decides to fully fund public schools here. You think all schools will get equal funding for this? In this state? 

Rainy day fund brocephus. That shit is muy importante

• Rage+1 1

26 minutes ago, immamac said:

How many children being murdered would it take for you to spend an entire day waiting in line to register all of your firearms and report how much ammunition you had?

How many children being murdered would it take for you to spend money to annually register your firearms?

How many children being murdered would it take for you to keep your guns somewhere that you had to sign them out to go hunting?

How many children being murdered is it going to take for all of these stupid bullshit excuses that don't prevent recreational use/ownership of firearms to go away?

The answer is clear, there is no amount of American Children we can sacrifice so that we can go buy a gun on the way to a ranch to shoot hogs damnit. Freedom isn't free, the blood of the innocent is required for my convenience. 

Yes

Yes

No

but I'm ready for some change

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, irishtexan said:

That’s because we woefully underfund our public schools. We have decided it’s too expensive (read: we will never raise taxes ever) to retrofit our existing infrastructure to provide the necessary safeguards to protect our children from these kids of tragedies. 

Here.

The shit that happened today isn't going away. Blame the availability of guns. Blame the lack of treatment for the mentally ill. Blame everyone's apathy toward what must have been multiple warning signs. Blame the guy's side of the bed because he happened to wake up on the wrong side of it.  Blame whatever and / or  whoever you want for what happened today. Spin the wheel in that game. It's open season.

Regardless. Again, this shit isn't going away. And if we as a country can't or won't commit, really commit, to funding and protecting defenseless, innocent children from being slaughtered at schools then our politicians - democrats, republican, black, white, brown or whatever - really are nothing but unbridled cunts. 

Edited by Wally Pryor
  • Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, Wally Pryor said:

Here.

The shit that happened today isn't going away. Blame the availability of guns. Blame the lack of treatment for the mentally ill. Blame everyone's apathy toward what must have been multiple warning signs. Blame the guy's side of the bed because he happened to wake up on the wrong side of it.  Blame whatever and / or  whoever you want for what happened today. Spin the wheel in the that game. It's open season.

Regardless. Again, this shit isn't going away. And if we as a country can't or won't commit, really commit, to funding and protecting defenseless, innocent children from being slaughtered then our politicians - democrats, republican, black, white, brown or whatever - really are nothing but unbridled cunts

Truer words….

There is constant pressure from parents for more access to the building for assemblies, events, or just to hang out. Then shit like this happens and they want a super max prison. But then the memory fades and the pressure to open the doors starts up again. There is plenty of funding blame to go around, but part of the problem is that communities are divided on this. It comes up on almost every school tour I do.

And  no, there really isn’t a safe way to do any event that’s going to have more that 30 parents in attendance. Checking people in one at a time would take several hours.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 3

For those of you who haven't figured out - this thread is discussion regarding the aftermath of the shooting at Robb Elementary in Uvalde. There will be lots of talk about things related to policy, news and opinions related to firearm use and ownership. 

There is a cloak room thread for naming and shaming or talking about political parties etc, that is still off limits here - but policy and opinion on current policy are on limits in this thread.

The other DT thread is strictly for updates from news sources and/or updates from posters with sources that are close to the situation - it is also appropriate for that thread to be an outlet for emotions and to celebrate the lives of the victims, but any additional commentary should be in this thread.

• Hook 'Em 6
  • Like 1

I'm far from numb to any of this but I'm not surprised or shocked by it. Not anymore. Think about how fucked that is. This has become completely normalized. Oh, a bunch of 10 year kids got killed by a psychopath who bought some guns on his 18th birthday? Of course they did. That's how we do in this country. Fucking pathetic. 

Say what you will about lockdowns during a global pandemic, at least we got a reprieve from this shit for awhile. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Rage+1 1

1 hour ago, tigol said:

This right here.  You have to pass a driving test to drive a car.  You are required to register your vehicle every year.  You have to pass a safety inspection annually.  Why?  Because given your own free will you wouldn't do it.

Are you saying that people should be able to have whatever they want as long as it is on private property? Because that is how vehicles work.

8 minutes ago, Mitch Cumsteen said:

I'm far from numb to any of this but I'm not surprised or shocked by it. Not anymore. Think about how fucked that is. This has become completely normalized.

6-1/2 years old. That was the average age of the child slaughtered at Sandy Hook. 

Once we ultimately learned as a country to take that in stride then we were going to take another, and another, in stride. Just as we will this one.

• Like 1
  • Rage+1 1

My wife is an elementary special-ed teacher here in Austin, and my kids go to her school. I mentioned to her that there would probably be "extra-security" for the last 3 days of school, not because of any possible threat, but because the school district will want the optics showing how serious they are about school security for situations like this.

(You already have to be buzzed in by someone who sees you on camera to get in, unless someone let's you in.)

She told me they already had an emergency meeting yesterday BEFORE this happened about extra door security procedures because apparently a non-custodial parent who is banned from the school campus somehow got inside. I told her I've been there before to pick up my daughter and had someone who was already going in hold the door for me to piggy-back through. The new policy will be that NOBODY gets buzzed in by office staff looking through the camera. An office member will walk to the door and look outside to verify before allowing them in. Door doesn't open unless everyone in sight is verified.

Edit: it doesn't stop a student who goes out to recess not making sure the door latches when it closes. They usually have a staff member on every door and the start and end of each day, but not during the day. A kid that goes to the "bathroom" could easily go out a door. A few years ago there was a 1st grader who left a school here in AISD during lunch and walked 2 miles home because he "didn't want to be at school anymore". School found out when the mom called saying her kid just walked in the front door.

• Hook 'Em 2

15 minutes ago, Modessit said:

My wife is an elementary special-ed teacher here in Austin, and my kids go to her school. I mentioned to her that there would probably be "extra-security" for the last 3 days of school, not because of any possible threat, but because the school district will want the optics showing how serious they are about school security for situations like this.

(You already have to be buzzed in by someone who sees you on camera to get in, unless someone let's you in.)

She told me they already had an emergency meeting yesterday BEFORE this happened about extra door security procedures because apparently a non-custodial parent who is banned from the school campus somehow got inside. I told her I've been there before to pick up my daughter and had someone who was already going in hold the door for me to piggy-back through. The new policy will be that NOBODY gets buzzed in by office staff looking through the camera. An office member will walk to the door and look outside to verify before allowing them in. Door doesn't open unless everyone in sight is verified.

I get why the school is doing this, but it is insane that we're here

1 hour ago, irishtexan said:

That’s because we woefully underfund our public schools. We have decided it’s too expensive (read: we will never raise taxes ever) to retrofit our existing infrastructure to provide the necessary safeguards to protect our children from these kids of tragedies. Fuck, many of the schools in Austin have multiple portables with no more protection than a latch lock. I’d be interested to know what district the poster at the beginning of the thread lives in whose kid goes to a school with bulletproof glass and armed guards at a single entrance.

We can talk about the second amendment all we want. That’s a discussion for the cloak room. But we won’t even consider allocating public dollars to infrastructure improvements that could help make it more difficult for active shooters to successfully carry out these horrific events. We’ve got 35+ kids to a classroom. No armed cops or security guards on campus. Portables. Underpaid and over stressed teachers and administration.

Something has to change. A lot of things have to change.

Hey @UnivTex34, can you explain what in my post quoted above, that I tried SO FUCKING HARD not to cloak room, that would compel you to neg rep me? 

I've had some whiskey, and I fucking hate bitching about rep, but when you see a giant "fuck you" finger on a post about the challenges that our educators, wives, and children face on a day to day basis, it kinda pisses me off. 

Be better, asshole

• Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, immamac said:

For those of you who haven't figured out - this thread is discussion regarding the aftermath of the shooting at Robb Elementary in Uvalde. There will be lots of talk about things related to policy, news and opinions related to firearm use and ownership. 

There is a cloak room thread for naming and shaming or talking about political parties etc, that is still off limits here - but policy and opinion on current policy are on limits in this thread.

The other DT thread is strictly for updates from news sources and/or updates from posters with sources that are close to the situation - it is also appropriate for that thread to be an outlet for emotions and to celebrate the lives of the victims, but any additional commentary should be in this thread.

Eat your own cooking brah.

1 hour ago, tigol said:

Sanders will win as governor, but Arkansas is much more progressive than Texas.

Hunting and fishing licenses have an app.  Seriously.  And, they renew based on when you purchased it as opposed to the Texas fiscal year.

Medical MJ is legal.  Property taxes are low.  Beautiful lakes and rivers.  They don't shoot up schools as often as we Texans do.

And, once again, there it is.

It’s sad that this is our “new normal” in this country.  Columbine was a massive event that rocked our nation, and now we are so desensitized to these senseless killings that this will be a blip on the news cycle radar by this time next week.  Makes me feel sick.  Innocent children getting slaughtered deserve more.  My daughter is in her last week of kindergarten and my son is not far behind.  These actions are nightmare fuel.  As others have mentioned, it is unlikely that this will be the tipping point to help better safeguard our children and society against future acts of senseless violence.  Two knee jerk thoughts come to mind that I think could potentially make a difference, or who knows, maybe I’m drunk.

1) I would gladly opt into a voluntary city tax of 1%, for the next 3-5 years, to help fortify the public schools in our district.  I’m the last guy who wants my kids to feel like they are attending school in a prison, but I know I’d sleep better at night if there was a barrier to help deter, slow down and possibly prevent this from happening again.  I’m sure that I’m not the only parent of school age children who would do the same.

2) Maybe I’m wrong, but aren’t the “kids” that shoot up schools the kids that can’t get laid and don’t have much luck with the ladies?  I know nothing about the shithead that did this, but I’m guessing that he falls into that category.  Half the country has legalized pot, why not prostitution?  Regulate it and tax it but give the outcasts a legal chance to get their dicks wet and maybe they’d be less angry.  I know it’s a long shot, but why the hell not try?

10 minutes ago, cmontexas said:

Sad when somebodys emotional response to a tragedy like this is to get on his favorite college football website and play thread police

Actually, what’s really sad is watching a poster who used to be a seemingly normal guy, that actually helped others, devolve into a wingnut over the last 6-10 years. Thread policing after a tragedy is just the mildest symptom of a greater problem. 

Edited by SydneyCarton
  • Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

Low hanging fruit that wouldn’t directly address the problem but would help: a requirement for all classrooms to have 2 adults at all times, ideally as part of a dramatic reduction in student/teacher ratio.  This would mitigate the risk of situations like this but would also address a multitude of other problems in our education system.  If I could enact one single change in our country, it would be to reduce student/teacher ratios dramatically.

53 minutes ago, BurntOrange&White said:

I’ll take thread policing over self righteous idiots using tragedy, especially ones such as this which involve children, to push  their dog shit beliefs 8 days a week

Dog shit beliefs like “we should actually do something tangible to actually prevent more tragedies involving children?”

well that’s a take I guess. 

• Hook 'Em 4

2 minutes ago, SydneyCarton said:

Dog shit beliefs like “we should actually do something tangible to actually prevent more tragedies involving children?”

well that’s a take I guess. 

I was more referencing Bernard and those types. Everyone knows we should do something to make a change for the better and continuing to do nothing keeping status quo isn’t the solution. 

What’s crazy is I can be in and out of just about any gun retailer in less than 1 hour with a weapon of my choice and I don’t even have a CHL. 

The system needs to be completely overhauled, more restrictions, more strenuous background checks, psych checks, etc. 

Edited by BurntOrange&White
  • Hook 'Em 4

7 hours ago, irishtexan said:

Hey @UnivTex34, can you explain what in my post quoted above, that I tried SO FUCKING HARD not to cloak room, that would compel you to neg rep me? 

I've had some whiskey, and I fucking hate bitching about rep, but when you see a giant "fuck you" finger on a post about the challenges that our educators, wives, and children face on a day to day basis, it kinda pisses me off. 

Be better, asshole

Lol, neg rep serous business.

Hey asshole, I hit the wrong  rep on a tiny screen after drinking way too much because I'm just as pissed as you. Maybe quit worrying about a single rep on a message board of assholes. 

Let me go change it to make you feel better.

Cross posting from the news thread:

20 minutes ago, BurntOrange&White said:

Jesus fucking Christ. The shooter legally bought TWO rifles a week before the attack. LEGALLY!! 

Something has got to change if the system allowed an 18 year old to just buy a couple rifles and shoot a bunch of children.

Low hanging fruit that wouldn’t directly address the problem but would help: a requirement for all classrooms to have 2 adults at all times, ideally as part of a dramatic reduction in student/teacher ratio.  This would mitigate the risk of situations like this but would also address a multitude of other problems in our education system.  If I could enact one single change in our country, it would be to reduce student/teacher ratios dramatically.

Don’t take this as a personal attack because it’s not, but this post shows just how out of touch you are with reality in regards to the education system and the education system in Texas. The majority of campuses in Texas are operating at a double digit instructor deficit. Not school districts, individual campuses. And I’m not sure that doubling the pay of every teacher would help remedy that problem. Teachers are leaving in droves and they’re not being replaced at even half that rate.
  • Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1
  • Rage+1 1

A few years ago there was a 1st grader who left a school here in AISD during lunch and walked 2 miles home because he "didn't want to be at school anymore". School found out when the mom called saying her kid just walked in the front door.

That kid has management potential