Active shooter thread

Hugo Stiglitz

1 hour ago, TexLonghorn said:

I think the selling of the weapons legally to an 18 year old is the state's fault.  If you saw the press conference though, how he spoke about Abbott and about the situation, I think it's pretty obvious that he votes in lockstep with the state allowing those gun sales. So he doesn't get to say 'hey, it's not my fault' when it's the approach he supports.

I also think the sheriff indicating there was absolutely no sign that anything was about to happen when an 18 year old buys some $3500 worth of semi-automatic weapons within three days with ammunition and a laser sight is absolutely on him.  He may feel the need to say 'no one could see this coming' so that he can sleep better at night, but the signs were obviously there.  To deny that from a law enforcement officer, is utter bullshit and ass-covering.

Texas has had eight mass shootings in the past 13 years, while lawmakers have steadily loosened restrictions on carrying firearms

16 minutes ago, Starfleet Command said:

It would be interesting to see the trend in popularity of the AR-15 and other semi-automatic rifles having a high capacity.  Never been a big gun person but growing up in Texas have of course known many gun owners.  When I was a kid friends families would have rifles for hunting and/or handguns for home defense.  Now practically every person I know who owns a gun owns at least one AR-15 or something like it.  

It's founded in our violent mythology of the old West, the pitiful insecurity of white men, and the marriage of those two joined to create a new insane mythology and world view that justifies the hate engine and MAGA. 

Abbott and his crew of Trumpist toadies appear en masse to explain that mass murder of children is wrong! Texans are united against it! We're all praying like hell for those poor families! We're all shamelessly dipping our bread in the hot gravy of grief and God, so don't you dare ask this united front of politicians any political or policy questions, asshole!

Absolutely loathsome.

23 minutes ago, Brandywine said:

"Senator Ted Cruz says in a Tweet that he and his wife are 'fervently lifting up in prayer the children and families in the horrific shooting in Uvalde'"

Probably the same thing he said in all the other mass shootings that have happened the last 10 years. Same statement different city. Yeah, you do that Ted. What else you got? Because you're not doing a damn thing to stop it.

Fuck Ted  Cruz.  He’s got a job where he could do something. Everything he’s said after this shooting has been wrong and an insult to common decency.

Prayer? PRAYER?! Prayer is literally the least you can do. ‘I’m a Senator but what I’m going to do is send a message to my imaginary sky god and maybe he’ll do something to fix this problem. Now where’s my check from the NRA?’

Fucking phony, hypocritical douchebag.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2

3 minutes ago, G650 said:

That's incredibly sad, as are all these families stories. The only thing I feel for this guy now is total anguish with what he has to live with.

He should have some anguish.  The people and causes he supported led to the death of 21 people yesterday.  He just can't believe the leopard ate his face.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Rage+1 2

I don’t have a problem with people owning any gun. I just think it should be really, really hard to do. It should also come with the agreement that your ability to own can be removed at any time, down to one shotgun for home protection.

Also, if your gun is used in a crime, you go down too.

• Hook 'Em 2

Just now, RomaVicta said:

It's founded in our violent mythology of the old West, the pitiful insecurity of white men, and the marriage of those two joined to create a new insane mythology and world view that justifies the hate engine and MAGA. 

Abbott and his crew of Trumpist toadies appear en masse to explain that mass murder of children is wrong! Texans are united against it! We're all praying like hell for those poor families! We're all shamelessly dipping our bread in the hot gravy of grief and God, so don't you dare ask this united front of politicians any political or policy questions, asshole!

Absolutely loathsome.

I don't know how historical I would get with it.  Are hispanics in the valley with extended valley still living in Mexico playing out fantasies of violent settler colonialism?  That doesn't make much sense to me.  imo, it's nothing more than branding as part of forming an identity.  In these communities dems/libs are coded amongst men as as degenerate, lazy, and effeminate while repubs/conservatives are coded as humble, hard working, and masculine.  I think it probably goes back to the re-orientation of polarization in our politics around educational attainment.  

• Hook 'Em 1

Just now, Goofyboy said:

I don’t have a problem with people owning any gun. I just think it should be really, really hard to do. It should also come with the agreement that your ability to own can be removed at any time, down to one shotgun for home protection.

I'm ok with this. I'm ok with pretty much anything. What I'm not ok with is nothing - which is all we have done so far

Edited by Longhorn_Fan68
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 3
  • Rage+1 1

siap.

Drive by D'Hanis on the way to Garner St park. I have a friend who lives in D'Hanis. D'Hanis is about 30 miles from Uvalde.

xvo3n0m16m191.jpg

The state trained teachers to shoot.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/world/teachers-gun-training-school-shooters-1.4584612

'It's a big responsibility.'

An obviously shaken Jace Daily stares at her own target. Six of her shots hit the child in the head. 

"It's not very good," she admits. "When I first came up [to the target], of course I looked at my misses. I looked at that precious little baby and all the holes in his head. I obviously did some damage to the bad guy too." 

Texas: We don't trust our teachers to teach about evolution and bad shit white people did but trust them to have perfect aim, except when they don't.

• Rage+1 4

2 minutes ago, wildcat09 said:

An hour. A fucking hour while they waited on a tactical team. 

It’s been discussed over and over and over: they cops tend to consolidate position and wait for SWAT. It’s essentially meaningless, half the time, the adrenaline wears off and the shooters commit suicide before the cops even enter the building. But all the cops made it home alive. So I guess there’s that.

34 minutes ago, Neonmoon said:

You're trying to solve the wrong problem. That's why. 

I have never owned a gun in my life. I could literally go purchase two automatic weapons right now, and walk into an elementary school and murder 30 kids. No one could see that coming because I have no history of that. 

You're trying to predict human behavior instead of arguing gun control, why?

I'm in my 50's and I've never owned a gun either.  I entirely support gun control - to an extent that would possibly make even some other gun control advocates uncomfortable.   My voting history has me being so blue that you'd swear I ate the wrong gum at Willy Wonka's chocolate factory.  

My first post that you reacted to was not about predicting the behavior of the shooter, it was about the sheriff disingenuously saying that there were just no signs that anything was going to happen.  There objectively were signs. You aren't an 18 year old, I assume.  Actions that you do as an adult would be viewed different than the same actions done by a teenager.  An 18 year old buying two semi-automatic rifles should raise concern, whether it's a legal activity or not, and I would even argue that the shop that sold them should have been on alert that something unusual happened and consider reporting even that.  Just like someone buying all of the ingredients to make a bomb should raise concern, even if each element is legal to buy.  But my post was about the sheriff.

That sheriff wants to absolve himself of any responsibility, when in my opinion, he is very much entwined in it.  He, or you, or anyone, could argue that it's the state that allows such gun purchases so there's nothing he can do, but if he is voting and continuing that cabal to be in power, then he is part of the problem.  I can predict  that he will continue to vote the same way, because he does have a history of it, and he should be called out for shirking his responsibility in this situation of uncontrolled gun violence.

We can try to solve more than one problem at a time.  If gun control could be passed tomorrow, great, but I also feel these repubs in office around the state need to start being held accountable for their actions.

Edited by TexLonghorn

4 minutes ago, lemonlime said:

He should have some anguish.  The people and causes he supported led to the death of 21 people yesterday.  He just can't believe the leopard ate his face.

His kid didn't deserve this, but he did. Double fuck him.

Any apologist for this asshole needs another think.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1
  • Rage+1 1

4 minutes ago, Goofyboy said:

According to the state of Texas, this kid was years away from achieving the maturity and wisdom required to operate a can of Coors Light...but a civilized version of a military assault rifle though, that's cool.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1
  • Rage+1 2

5 minutes ago, wildcat09 said:

An hour. A fucking hour while they waited on a tactical team. 

Um, the GOP leaders of our state praised the courage of these brave men and women. The NYT is clearly lying.

This another manifestation of the sacred rule of officer safety. Piss one off and you're forced into the humiliating process of git on the ground!

If you're black...

If you're armed, they call the paramilitary units in. Fucking LaGrange has a SWAT team.

• Like 1
  • Rage+1 1

15 minutes ago, WhatTheBuck said:

Prayer? PRAYER?! Prayer is literally the least you can do. ‘I’m a Senator but what I’m going to do is send a message to my imaginary sky god and maybe he’ll do something to fix this problem. Now where’s my check from the NRA?’

Fucking phony, hypocritical douchebag.

You know what's even more enraging?  He and his wife didn't pray at all.  They just said they did.  It's what they do -- they perform for the media to rally the base.

• Hook 'Em 1

45 minutes ago, Brandywine said:

"Senator Ted Cruz says in a Tweet that he and his wife are 'fervently lifting up in prayer the children and families in the horrific shooting in Uvalde'"

Probably the same thing he said in all the other mass shootings that have happened the last 10 years. Same statement different city. Yeah, you do that Ted. What else you got? Because you're not doing a damn thing to stop it.

There’s no point praying about it if you’re not going to be about it. Fake ass Christian.

• Hook 'Em 2

2 hours ago, C-Man said:

Yes, it was. And it was awesome.

i (hopefully) won't be in Texas to vote in November, and i'd written Beto off as no chance...but he just convinced me to send him some money. 

if democrats were bigger assholes, yada yada yada...fucking A.

Edited by mchookem
  • Hook 'Em 1

3 minutes ago, RomaVicta said:

Um, the GOP leaders of our state praised the courage of these brave men and women. The NYT is clearly lying.

This another manifestation of the sacred rule of officer safety. Piss one off and you're forced into the humiliating process of git on the ground!

If you're black...

If you're armed, they call the paramilitary units in. Fucking LaGrange has a SWAT team.

it's because of that shack just outside...

• Haha 1

15 minutes ago, Starfleet Command said:

I don't know how historical I would get with it.  Are hispanics in the valley with extended valley still living in Mexico playing out fantasies of violent settler colonialism?  That doesn't make much sense to me.  imo, it's nothing more than branding as part of forming an identity.  In these communities dems/libs are coded amongst men as as degenerate, lazy, and effeminate while repubs/conservatives are coded as humble, hard working, and masculine.  I think it probably goes back to the re-orientation of polarization in our politics around educational attainment.  

You're viewing my post too narrowly. I may be wrong, but I wasn't describing the act of only one man, I was also addressing the question of why we're an insane gun culture. The man's t-shirt tells me more than his ethnicity or geographic location.

According to the state of Texas, this kid was years away from achieving the maturity and wisdom required to operate a can of Coors Light...but a civilized version of a military assault rifle though, that's cool.

Right… that would go under the part of it should be really hard to own a gun. Part of that would be an age limit.

Also, I have no idea if it would work. Taking all the guns away ship sailed long, long ago. Let’s try SOMETHING between making it easier to get a gun and taking them all away.

If these ideas (let’s start with the 4 Beto mentioned), fine - we try again. I’m tired of the gun nuts bullshit of “that won’t work…”

17 minutes ago, softlynow said:

Fuck that sentiment. He's not a lawmaker and he was never the deciding vote in an election that prevented the passage of sensible gun legislation that could have prevented this killing.

He lost his child and now his shit is on blast. That's not karma, and these posts are cruelty.

Dems need to be better at fighting, but along the way cannot become the flaming pieces of shit they're fighting against. Be ruthless towards Pub politicians, not poor folks devastated by their anti-life policies.

Karma suggests that his daughter's death was an appropriate reaction to his gun enthusiasm.  That I cannot get behind, and I agree with you.

But he's also put his enthusiasm and political position on gun control out there in the public domain.  While his daughter's death never should have happened, I would hope that this tragedy might cause him to reflect on how he's contributed to a social and political culture that has fostered the epidemic of mass shootings in America and possibly change his beliefs [Narrator: He probably won't], and I think that's suitable for discussion on this message board and other social media platforms.  I don't believe in a "hands off" approach to this guy.

Edited by South Austin

6 minutes ago, softlynow said:

Fuck that sentiment. He's not a lawmaker and he was never the deciding vote in an election that prevented the passage of sensible gun legislation that could have prevented this killing.

He lost his child and now his shit is on blast. That's not karma, and these posts are cruelty.

Dems need to be better at fighting, but along the way cannot become the flaming pieces of shit they're fighting against. Be ruthless towards Pub politicians, not poor folks devastated by their anti-life policies.

I feel sorry for the girl. She didn’t deserve her fate, neither how she died nor having a shitty person for a father. I don’t feel sorry for her dad at all. I hope the pain of his loss makes him rethink his shitty attitude.

I bet it won’t.

• Hook 'Em 2

7 minutes ago, softlynow said:

The death of 10 Black people going grocery shopping in Buffalo didn't keep him up at night.  Neither did 23 at a Wal-Mart in El Paso, or 10 at Santa Fe High School, and I could go on for pages.  

I certainly don't wish this on anyone.  But I'm not sure why Republicans get to gleefully wish for lib tears and support policies whose entire point is cruelty, and then ask for sympathy when the cruelty they cheered on hurts them.

He was fine with these deaths when it was someone else's child being murdered.

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 2
  • Rage+1 1

3 minutes ago, Patricio Swayze said:

Still waiting on our resident right wingers/gun nuts to come and give some suggestions on what to do about this American pandemic. I can’t believe you bunch of pussy cowards love playing toy solider more than you love your kids. Y’all some fucked up people. Make sure you keep them in your thoughts and prayers! Bitch ass bitches.

Dude, this was a statistical anomaly. These kids were more likely to die by choking on an M&M than they were getting gunned down at their school. It's all wasted time and effort to try to prevent these extremely rare occurrences from happening in the future.

-Sack

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

51 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

Bingo -- if you think that utter destruction of every institution, like making elementary schools kill zones, is not PART of the GQP policy plan, you haven't been paying attention.  They want to abolish public schools.  Ensuring that they function as free-fire kill zones serves that goal.

Republicans don't take a single step to reduce the number of school shootings because.....and follow me here, it's SUPER complicated.....they don't WANT to reduce the number of school shootings.  Every dead child serves their purpose.  Don't believe me?  Just ask them -- and read the linked piece.

Animated GIF

• Fuck You 2

6 minutes ago, hobbes2702 said:

Every single person who has voted for or contributed time or money to the Republican politicians in this state has a hand in these murders. Full stop

HOW DARE YOU POLITICIZE DEAD KIDS AT A TIME LIKE THIS

3 minutes ago, Patricio Swayze said:

Still waiting on our resident right wingers/gun nuts to come and give some suggestions on what to do about this American pandemic. I can’t believe you bunch of pussy cowards love playing toy solider more than you love your kids. Y’all some fucked up people. Make sure you keep them in your thoughts and prayers! Bitch ass bitches.

I’m a Republican that’s not a gun nut, so I’m not on the same page as many of my counterparts. Sure I have shotguns because I enjoy shooting skeet/trap, but I’m fine with banning AR’s quite honestly. 

• Fuck You 1

1 minute ago, Poe It Up said:

I’m a Republican that’s not a gun nut, so I’m not on the same page as many of my counterparts. Sure I have shotguns because I enjoy shooting skeet/trap, but I’m fine with banning AR’s quite honestly. 

Then stop voting for politicians that refuse to ban ARs.

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 2

So you have voted for state and federal politicians that support banning AR’s?
  • Hook 'Em 3

14 minutes ago, Patricio Swayze said:

The mayor said they are building a mental hospital.  Not that the shooter was actually diagnosed with any kind of disorder or otherwise found to be a threat to himself or others.  Not to mention that none of these scumbags have enough spine to pass a red flag law in this state.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Rage+1 1

4 hours ago, TexasEd said:

The same people that won't even discuss gun control are the ones that want public schools closed.  As far as they are concerned this is a feature.  Shoot up some schools and maybe more people homeschool and raise their sons to be monsters that cannot think critically and will follow the next fascist.

1 hour ago, wildcat09 said:

There it is. "We'll keep making more and worse school shootings inevitable until you people decide to eliminate public schools."

Yep, I called it a few hours ago.  The same people that refuse to debate gun control are also trying to shut down public schools and create more monsters (Madison Cawthorn's term) in home schools.

Edited by TexasEd
  • Hook 'Em 3

2 minutes ago, Covri said:

I like how republicans accuse Beto of political theatre/grandstanding as they sit up on stage 15 deep to show they care about the children.

BBE23B87-CC91-494E-8083-A7C641D6B213.thumb.png.f52ec4389465a4398796bdc176e761ec.png

That presser was a farce. Bought and paid for by the gun lobby. “Now is not the time...” Blah blah blah. Totally predictable. 

• Hook 'Em 6
  • Like 1

• Pancho changed the title to Active shooter thread