Boo fucking Hoo Brittney Griner

Gil Bang

1 hour ago, jimmyjazz said:

Yeah, I think Biden is screwed here.  He holds a hard line, and gets excoriated for not making a deal, and it's entirely possible Trump will jump in and make that deal happen (a la Reagan/Carter and the Iranian hostages).  He capitulates and makes a trade, and he gets excoriated for being a pussy.

Personally, I'd make the trade.  The problem with Russia goes way beyond some asset we have in prison.  There is the theory that you don't negotiate with kidnappers because it just encourages more, but this is a pretty unusual situation, and I'm not thinking it further emboldens Putin.  He's gonna do what he wants to do.

This is why at the very beginning of the invasion I was 100 percent in favor of taking Putin's daughters into custody. And anyone else important to Putin that we could get our hands on. This was a game that was always going to be played the second the invasion started and having powerful trade chips in hand would have been nice leverage. 

1 minute ago, justhookit said:

Her lawyers aren’t denying that she had the cartridge(s). Her wife isn’t denying it. Nobody besides some posters on this thread is alleging it was planted.

Their client/wife is held hostage by a foreign country renowned for murdering political adversaries and you expect them to publicly call Putin and Russian police liars? Are you really this stupid? 

I mean I know not everyone has experience in handling diplomatic issues but just use some fucking sense for a second. 

For 8 years she'd been going back and forth as a 6 ft 9 black lesbian celebrity basketball player living months at a time in Russia. And in that entire time never had one issue with smuggling or possessing drugs. 

Then, suddenly exactly 1 week before Putin begins his invasion and is preparing to battle strong sanctions she's arrested for drug possession? You think that checks out as on the up and up? 

I'm sorry, sometimes I forget the average American is an obtuse, naive complete dumbass and half the population is below that. 

• Hook 'Em 6

I mean I get it, a few times I've had things in my backpack that I forgot to remove before going through airport security like a water bottle or medicine more than 3 oz. I also sometimes keep my "medicine" vape in there and thankfully have never forgotten to take it out before flying or going out of state. I can see it being an innocent mistake. And nothing close to 10 years is remotely fair. It's pure politics from a dictator. Fuck putin and onyone who supports him over this because of your fucking bullshit racism over flags and hatred for anyone who dare speak out on social justice issues. 

4 minutes ago, Hermanator said:

Their client/wife is held hostage by a foreign country renowned for murdering political adversaries and you expect them to publicly call Putin and Russian police liars? Are you really this stupid? 

I mean I know not everyone has experience in handling diplomatic issues but just use some fucking sense for a second. 

For 8 years she'd been going back and forth as a 6 ft 9 black lesbian celebrity basketball player living months at a time in Russia. And in that entire time never had one issue with smuggling or possessing drugs. 

Then, suddenly exactly 1 week before Putin begins his invasion and is preparing to battle strong sanctions she's arrested for drug possession? You think that checks out as on the up and up? 

I'm sorry, sometimes I forget the average American is an obtuse, naive complete dumbass and half the population is below that. 

for real.

either she was used to being above scrutiny or this is a hell of a coincidence. i'm inclined to believe that, like anything else, russian security lulled her (and everyone else they want) into a false sense of security by overlooking tons of shit for years. now that she can be important politically, of course they'll find something on her. but also, 2 cartridges would last her like two weeks with some disciplined intake. and two cartridges is nothing. so i've heard. so she no doubt had a domestic supplier too.  

3 minutes ago, 'stache said:

I mean I get it, a few times I've had things in my backpack that I forgot to remove before going through airport security like a water bottle or medicine more than 3 oz. I also sometimes keep my "medicine" vape in there and thankfully have never forgotten to take it out before flying or going out of state. I can see it being an innocent mistake. And nothing close to 10 years is remotely fair. It's pure politics from a dictator. Fuck putin and onyone who supports him over this because of your fucking bullshit racism over flags and hatred for anyone who dare speak out on social justice issues. 

i once left a lighter in my luggage on a domestic china flight. they pulled me out of line and dragged me into an interrogation room until i found the lighter in my dop kit. they refused to give me any clues as to what i had done wrong. i was sweating to say the least.

that's forgetting something. i get it, going from a state where weed is legal to another state is one thing, but leaving the COUNTRY, one needs to be sure of what is carrying. 

• Hook 'Em 1

36 minutes ago, Hermanator said:

With your history and experience you should know as well as anyone how ridiculous a coerced confession under threat of imprisonment is. Of course she admitted to having it, she has a gun to her head and is being told if she wants it to go easy to do and say what they tell her to do and say.  

Yes, and I know the stupid shit do overseas. I never said she deserves to have the nations back turned on her. I asked what should we do? Yeah, always try and get her back, and all the Americans there. How do we do this? 

5 minutes ago, Skipper said:

Does Trump's base give 2 shits if Griner rots in prison?    But I agree Biden is in a no win situation here.   

Absolutely not. They would probably prefer she die in prison. But the preeminent motivation of these fucktards is to make libs cry. If Trump gets to claim success where Sleepy Joe failed, its MAGA-boner time. Plus they are all working on the assumption that being LGBQT will be a jailable offense stateside in a few years, and then she can be a visitor in the greatest, most tremendous jails the world has ever seen. 

4 minutes ago, InkaUtexas said:

Yes, and I know the stupid shit do overseas. I never said she deserves to have the nations back turned on her. I asked what should we do? Yeah, always try and get her back, and all the Americans there. How do we do this? 

There's no way to get her back without trading assets Putin wants. And there's definitely two legitimate sides to that decision but IMO a basketball player isn't worth turning loose international criminal arms dealers back into the wild. It sucks but that's the reality of this situation. I feel bad for her and her family but the situation calls for waiting and see how things play out.  

• Hook 'Em 3

8 minutes ago, Hermanator said:

There's no way to get her back without trading assets Putin wants. And there's definitely two legitimate sides to that decision but IMO a basketball player isn't worth turning loose international criminal arms dealers back into the wild. It sucks but that's the reality of this situation. I feel bad for her and her family but the situation calls for waiting and see how things play out.  

Isn't he old now? I'm not against an exchange but I hope it would come with others they are holding that shouldn't be there.

2 hours ago, Blotto said:

I'll take the lunacy one step further. Trump and his butt buddy Pootie-Poot will get in cahoots on this one. After a couple of months of the Biden admin getting nowhere, as the midterms approach Trump will make a big show of getting personally involved in the matter, ultimately arranging for Griner to be released. Then the GQP can crow about Biden's diplomatic impotence and the GQP's legendary support for minority women and LGBQT victims. Sound stupid as fuck? Sure, which is why it will probably go down that way. 

And all the anti-gay / racist people on the internet that were saying she should get fucked and the government shouldn't waste resources on her case will bark like seals that this was the greatest piece of diplomatic work in the history of forever.

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, justhookit said:

Why are y’all questioning whether she had the vape cartridges?  She admitted it in court yesterday. They weren’t planted. She was stupid for having them and stupid for being there.   The rest is a  political game and hopefully we can help get her back soon.

I’m sure the advice she was given was to plead guilty and confess to get a lesser sentence since she’d be convicted regardless. I’m inclined to think she was carrying, but her confession doesn’t really mean anything to me. 

32 minutes ago, InkaUtexas said:

a-team-1-4bac746d6d38f0aa6ce70a97629a391

• Hook 'Em 4

1 hour ago, Hermanator said:

This is why at the very beginning of the invasion I was 100 percent in favor of taking Putin's daughters into custody. And anyone else important to Putin that we could get our hands on. This was a game that was always going to be played the second the invasion started and having powerful trade chips in hand would have been nice leverage. 

He probably wouldn't give a shit. I wouldn't exactly be shocked to learn Putin takes the Herschel Walker approach to parenting.

• Hook 'Em 2

13 minutes ago, Hookah Horns said:

He probably wouldn't give a shit. I wouldn't exactly be shocked to learn Putin takes the Herschel Walker approach to parenting.

I'm fairly certain Putin would insist Christian gain an affinity for pussy, or he would rip off his shirt  and strangle him with his bare hands just for the photo op. 

• Haha 1

This thread is a perfect example that despite some former Republicans disowning the current form of the GQP, the roots are still in some of you.

I’ll happily welcome reformed republicans but I’m always gonna side eye you and never let my guard down. Whew.

• Hook 'Em 4

FWIW, here is the purported video of her going through the security line.  It's obviously been chopped up, so not definitive one way or the other imo. But does appear to be her signing off some documents after things are removed from her bag. 

1 hour ago, hayden_horn said:

either she was used to being above scrutiny or this is a hell of a coincidence. i'm inclined to believe that, like anything else, russian security lulled her (and everyone else they want) into a false sense of security by overlooking tons of shit for years. now that she can be important politically, of course they'll find something on her.

I have no trouble believing that scenario, and I am certain that Griner's detention and charges are completely political.  Fuck Russia and Putin with a red-hot poker.  

With that said, she knew it was Russia.  She knew that the whims of those in charge could change at any time.  And she knew that traveling with even a minimum quantity of drugs was technically illegal. 

So while I believe her detention and charges are completely political in nature such that I'm largely sympathetic to her situation, my sympathy is tempered a bit and I would hope that she would take at least some responsibility for her own actions.  There is a middle ground in here, and that's where I'm at.  

Edited by Carl Spackler
  • Hook 'Em 4

21 hours ago, Gil Bang said:

Here's the thing:  She CHOSE to travel to, and accept money from, this "fascist regime".  That's my entire point here. 

BC UMMC Ekaterinburg (Russian: БК «УГМК») is a Russian women's basketball team based in Yekaterinburg competing in the Russian Premier League, and until February 2022 in FIBA Europe's EuroLeague Women. In reaction to the 2022 Russian invasion of Ukraine, in February 2022 EuroLeague Women suspended the club.[1]

Founded in 1938 as Zenit Sverdlovsk, the club had its name changed to Uralmash Sverdlovsk in 1960, like other teams from the city such as FC Ural Sverdlovsk Oblast. Four years later Uralmash reached the Soviet Top Division. In 1973 and 1974 it attained two 3rd spots, the club's best results in the Soviet era.[citation needed]

After Uralmash was merged into OMZ the club was bought in 2000 by the newly formed company UMMC, adopting its current name. UMMC Ekaterinburg in 2002 won its first national championship. The following year it won the Euroleague in its debut season, becoming the first Russian team to win the top European trophy. The team also defended its national title, making it a double.[citation needed]

UMMC is the Ural Mountain Copper Mining Company.  It seems to be privately owned, though no doubt by an oligarch.  But she's not playing for the Russian national team.

Edited by Bullneck

4 hours ago, trauma babe said:

Carts generally have 0.5 to 1g of material in them, so anywhere from 4 to 8 carts.

That would’ve been my guess. I also have a little bit of a problem calling it “hash oil” because I think that’s a prejudicial term and not entirely accurate. It’s an extract. More blonde hash than black hash (the good stuff). But that’s probably a subject for a different thread.

Anyway, I found this:

“Being sufficiently aware that the movement of narcotic drugs is not allowed...no later than February 17, 2022 at an unspecified location under unspecified circumstances from an unidentified person [Griner] bought two cartridges for personal use, which contained 0.252 grams and 0.45 grams of hash oil, totaling 0.702 grams,” said the prosecutor in court last week.

https://www.yahoo.com/entertainment/brittney-griner-pleads-guilty-drug-143636880.html

Less than a gram of THC oil, according to her prosecutors, and she’s being charged like a major drug trafficker. There’s not a chance in hell that there aren’t members of Putin’s circle who are packing more vape oil, or even trafficking in large quantities of it, at any given time.

• Hook 'Em 1

53 minutes ago, WhatTheBuck said:

There’s not a chance in hell that there aren’t members of Putin’s circle who are packing more vape oil, or even trafficking in large quantities of it, at any given time.

True. And how would they be treated here in the US? We’re confiscating hundreds of millions (rightfully) from his buddies right now.  The ones that were dumb enough to fafo, anyhow.  Seems to be a theme. Don’t fafo in countries that are adversarial to your own. 

I had no idea there were so many passionate women’s basketball fans on this board. This is awesome; I never missed a Lady Longhorns game while on campus.

Is there a WNBA thread somewhere on secret squirrel? I can’t seem to find an active one on the basketball board.

• Hook 'Em 1

4 hours ago, WhatTheBuck said:

Less than a gram of THC oil, according to her prosecutors, and she’s being charged like a major drug trafficker. There’s not a chance in hell that there aren’t members of Putin’s circle who are packing more vape oil, or even trafficking in large quantities of it, at any given time.

Shocked Face GIFs - Get the best GIF on GIPHY

Stop it, you silly goose ....... next you're gonna tell me rich people have advantages the common man doesn't. 

Edited by Blotto

4 hours ago, fattyflattie said:

True. And how would they be treated here in the US? We’re confiscating hundreds of millions (rightfully) from his buddies right now.  The ones that were dumb enough to fafo, anyhow.  Seems to be a theme. Don’t fafo in countries that are adversarial to your own. 

Yes, very comparable.

• Haha 1

7 hours ago, Bama Chick said:

This thread is a perfect example that despite some former Republicans disowning the current form of the GQP, the roots are still in some of you.

I’ll happily welcome reformed republicans but I’m always gonna side eye you and never let my guard down. Whew.

CBED26C3-BB5C-46C2-AA72-2945DA8D759C.gif

6 hours ago, elguapo said:

Stupidity Are You Stupid GIF

She vapes. She admitted it and so did her wife. I don’t give a fuck really, actually I give no fucks. Like I said on my very first post on this thread this is entirely political. That should have been my last post.

it’s ok to admit that she got busted for something that isn’t legal, and she’s getting screwed. It’s not mutually exclusive.

I mean if I’m planting shit and in Russia I’m going for a lot more than a little THC.

Edited by justhookit
  • Hook 'Em 1

11 hours ago, Mole said:

I had no idea there were so many passionate women’s basketball fans on this board. This is awesome; I never missed a Lady Longhorns game while on campus.

Is there a WNBA thread somewhere on secret squirrel? I can’t seem to find an active one on the basketball board.

I had never heard her name before her disappearance in Russia made the news. She’s an American citizen. I don’t think her occupation as an athlete is at all relevant. I had never heard of Paul Whelan either until he was arrested by the Russians. 

• Hook 'Em 2

14 hours ago, Bullneck said:

UMMC is the Ural Mountain Copper Mining Company.  It seems to be privately owned, though no doubt by an oligarch.  But she's not playing for the Russian national team.

Talking about any extractive industry in Russia as a private company just doesn’t work in the way those terms are understood in the West.  It almost makes more sense to describe all of Russia as a private concern run for the benefit of a very few men.

As I mentioned before, the interesting question here is why an oligarch assembled a powerhouse women’s basketball team and paid international stars millions to play in front of mostly empty gyms with disinterested crowds.  I know that Griner neither asked or was encouraged to ask these questions. But the fact is that by accepting payment from the Ural Mountain Cooper Mining Company, she became a piece of the creaky machinery that is Russia, Inc. 

And it’s entirely unfair to expert too much of her.  Very few people, even those who are savvy and worldly, are equipped to navigate Russia as an outsider swimming with Russian insiders. 

• Hook 'Em 3

3 hours ago, 956 Worldwide said:

And it’s entirely unfair to expert too much of her.  

Agreed.  I don't think young Americans are any more naive snowflakes than the majority of Americans.  We live in a world where, so far, we enjoy immense levels of personal freedom, and most people just aren't going to be skeptical enough to consider potential consequences abroad for things that would have very little consequence here.

Well she did do wrong. And yes she is a pawn. And I am not talking about her politics. It is her right to protest. I am not judging her life at all, just an action. I am talking about traveling internationally with hash oil. She would be arrested if caught coming into the US with it. 
Support her and the other Americans with all we can. Just don't give Putin shit. 

Someone trusts the Russians.

9 minutes ago, Nivek said:

Someone trusts the Russians.

How do you get that? Where did I ever say that over the past few pages? I said she fucked up and we should NOT sell out to Putin and his fuckery. 

The I support Putin line is negotiate with him, exchange a known war criminal and walk back sanctions. 

• Hook 'Em 1

How do you get that? Where did I ever say that over the past few pages? I said she fucked up and we should NOT sell out to Putin and his fuckery. 
The I support Putin line is negotiate with him, exchange a known war criminal and walk back sanctions. 

I think your first statement, “Well she did do wrong.” seems to indicate that you believe she brought in drugs or residuals into Russia.

I tend to be skeptical of anything out of Russia.

1 minute ago, Nivek said:

I think your first statement, “Well she did do wrong.” seems to indicate that you believe she brought in drugs or residuals into Russia.

I tend to be skeptical of anything out of Russia.

I think she did. It has been admitted by everyone around her. Is she a pawn? Yes. And fuck Russia, but we should not change our policy vs. the war in Ukraine over her.

And what about the other Americans? 

Bending over backwards with Russia, as others have pointed out, would be the MAGA way of dealing with it. I am saying the opposite. 

Who the hell is saying we should lift sanctions or change our Ukraine policy to get Griner out?  That seems to be a rare, if virtually nonexistent perspective.  Some are saying a prisoner swap isn't beyond the pale, but that's pretty much all I've seen.

And you really need to get on board with the idea that the "admissions" are coerced by Russia.  Can we prove it?  No.  Is it possible?  Certainly.

• Hook 'Em 1

I certainly wasn’t advocating deescalation of our support of Ukraine or lifting sanctions. That’s a nonstarter but a prisoner swap? Better that 1000 guilty go free than 1 innocent be convicted. While it can easily be argued she was dumb to be there and super dumb to have weed (assuming it is true), no way is she in that guilty camp when considering a Russian prison for a half a decade. She is way closer to innocent than not in this equation. So we swap a guilty Russian for her and while we are at it let’s clean house and get any others we can out of that hell hole. That’s quite consistent with American values (assuming we still have them). 

Edited by troph
  • Hook 'Em 3

4 minutes ago, jimmyjazz said:

Who the hell is saying we should lift sanctions or change our Ukraine policy to get Griner out?  That seems to be a rare, if virtually nonexistent perspective.  Some are saying a prisoner swap isn't beyond the pale, but that's pretty much all I've seen.

And you really need to get on board with the idea that the "admissions" are coerced by Russia.  Can we prove it?  No.  Is it possible?  Certainly.

I have said that many times. We (The US Department of State) has already called it an unlawful detention. I am not arguing any of that. And yes, the statement that we should negotiate has been made in the public sphere. My point is no. We don't for most Americans locked up overseas. 

2 minutes ago, InkaUtexas said:

I have said that many times. We (The US Department of State) has already called it an unlawful detention. I am not arguing any of that. And yes, the statement that we should negotiate has been made in the public sphere. My point is no. We don't for most Americans locked up overseas. 

You break the law in another country and receive due process and a fair trial with reasonable punishment? Good luck see ya when you get out. That’s not even remotely close to this situation. The State Department should aggressively negotiate within the constraints I explained. It’s pretty crystal clear AND other political prisoners need to be included. We shouldn’t trade one bad due for her we should trade one bad dude for all our people in Russian prisons who did not receive due process and a fair trial or who are being held in inhumane conditions. Again consistent with our values (if we still have them).

• Hook 'Em 3

1 minute ago, troph said:

I certainly wasn’t advocating deescalation of our support of Ukraine or lifting sanctions. That’s a nonstarter but a prisoner swap? Better than 1000 guilty go free than 1 innocent be convicted. While it can easily be argued she was dumb to be there and super dumb to have weed (assuming it is true), no way is she in that guilty camp when considering a Russian prison for a half a decade. She is way closer to innocent than not in this equation. So we swap a guilty Russian for her and while we are at it let’s clean house and get any others we can out of that hell hole. That’s quite consistent with American values (assuming we still have them). 

I am fine with that. The question is what do we give? Trade Bout for all of them? He won't survive long back in Putin land. 

I would also want Navalny sent to the west. 

And we still have them. It is called Consular Support. But that does not mean we open the jail cell for you. I know that is the perception, but it is not the reality. We have Americans locked up around the globe is some pretty shitty countries. 

• Hook 'Em 1

6 minutes ago, Anastasis said:

If this was some MAGA hat wearing idiot nobody on this sub would give a shit. 

I would. Again when due process, a fair trial, excessive punishment and/or inhumane conditions are in play our ideals require we do what we can. Do we always do that? Obviously not. Is the price required sometimes too high? of course so we wait it out. Negotiating for American citizens, whether they be missionaries in the Middle East (I have no sympathy for them), MAGA darlings (no comment), celebrities or Oklahoma freak shows, it doesn’t matter. 

we have ideals and I’m getting sick and god damned tired of them being optional depending on whose team it impacts. Fuck team politics, fuck all of it. Ideals, time we focus on them. Christ almighty. 

Edited by troph
  • Hook 'Em 1

Who do we give, absent strategic national security concerns I don’t care.  And get more in return than you give because chances are we imprisoned a bad guy they just took a dumbnut carrying weed in her bag.

• Hook 'Em 1

Just now, Anastasis said:

Fair enough.  But you know god damned well the sentiments many posters are posting here would be on a merry go round that stopped at 180 degrees. 

And they are part of the problem. 

• Hook 'Em 1