Boo fucking Hoo Brittney Griner

Gil Bang

1 hour ago, InkaUtexas said:

For those who said it is not just about her, the US Embassy issued a statement and she was the only human named. 

That doesn’t change the fact that Paul Whelan was named along with Griner in the prisoner exchange offer. Maybe they only mentioned Griner today because she was the only one receiving a bogus sentence today. 

I get that. My point is CNN/ESPN/MSNBC did not cover live statements from the US President and Embassy in Moscow about the others. 

Is she a pawn? Yes. Did she fuck up? Don't know, but her team (Arizona) said she was using vapes for back pain. 

If we trade, get them all out. And prepare for more fucked up autocrats to start using "arrested or detained" Americans as tools for their policies. 

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, hayden_horn said:

9 years.

for some pot.

they convicted her on drug smuggling. i mean, we knew this was a foregone conclusion as soon as she was arrested, right?

as someone who travels (more past tense since covid, though it might pick up again soon) to many foreign countries, i'm sympathetic to the "don't fuck around and you won't find out" philosophy for the most part, except for a few exceptions, one of which almost landed me in a holland jail, but that's a story for another time.

this situation, however, is amply clear in that the russian government set her up. i don't really even care if she was carrying a couple of thc vape cartridges and is technically guilty of possession. everything about this from the jump was political and that goes to the highest level in russia. putin wanted her guilty. he probably even came up with the number 9 years. 

we should not let the idea that we should not domestically imprison non-violent drug offenders stop us from trying to right this foreign injustice. if she got a commensurate charge and sentence, say possession and 2 years, or whatever, yeah, that sucks, but you play with fire, you'll get burned. 

there are several sacred things in this world that you don't ever mess with. one of them happens to be another man's fries. another happens to be russian largesse. 

I didn't keep up with this story at all until the sentencing was announced. I promptly searched Russian and marijuana. From a simple search, it was abundantly clear that Russia does not fuck around with drugs, including medical marijuana.

If I am wrong, I have no problems with yall calling me a dipshit. She and her team should have been aware of this before she took pot, any amount, with her, medical or not, to Russia. Not to blame her but she simply should have known better. With that said, in light of Ukraine and our severely strained relationship, Russia was going to make an example of her to win political points. I'm sure this news is shown in Russia to much applause from Russians. <6 grams is supposedly an administrative offense with on a wrist. They fucked her with no lube. 

Sucks for her. Wrong decision caught up in the absolute worst time to get caught. 

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 1

I don't agree with trading Bout for her just like I wouldn't be OK with trading him for Sean Penn if he were caught "spying" making his stupid movie earlier this year in Ukraine  Doesn't matter who you are. Don't be fucking stupid and think you are above it all. She was going INTO Russia just like Sean Penn was going into the Ukraine. Both deserve  whatever they would get sadly. I am not OK with Bidens admin offering Bout and it will cause a firestorm here if it goes through. Don't even get me started if Russia wants more of their other criminals freed for Griner and we have to strong arm our allies to release them too, all for a celebrity making an extremely stupid mistake that may change policy forever. 

She was going INTO Russia and was caught. Fafo. 

• Hook 'Em 1

Assuming she had at least 1g in the vape cartridges, I believe that the same thing in Texas would be a third degree state felony, 2 to 10. 

In related news, some NBA star got popped at DFW with 6oz last weekend. This dumbass was flying to LA. Who the fuck takes weed with them to CA?

https://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/34346494/iman-shumpert-arrested-texas-airport-pot-possession

Edited by Anastasis
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 2

2 hours ago, 4th&Five said:

This here is how you skewer the left with legit satire, and not the dumb toddler shit the right uses, and the lameness of the Babylon Bee in general. This is just spot fucking on commentary, especially when you consider Biden's past vis-à-vis the "War on Drugs." 

Edited by 'stache
  • Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, InkaUtexas said:

I get that. My point is CNN/ESPN/MSNBC did not cover live statements from the US President and Embassy in Moscow about the others. 

Is she a pawn? Yes. Did she fuck up? Don't know, but her team (Arizona) said she was using vapes for back pain. 

If we trade, get them all out. And prepare for more fucked up autocrats to start using "arrested or detained" Americans as tools for their policies. 

If you don't know if she fucked up, then you are a dumbass.

She traveled to Russia a month or so after the U.S. State Department said "DON'T FUCKING GO TO RUSSIA".  And now, that same State Department is supposed to secure her freedom. 

I have friends that usually put amounts of coke and weed in their checked on bags that aren’t enough to indicate they’re selling. It’s usually edibles with weed, if it’s coke they’re putting them in capsules and in GNC vitamin bottles. She was wreckless, but had definitely done it a million times before and they chose to stop taking advantage of whatever money Russian womens basketball makes for the country and to attack the demographic that’s most likely to support Joey Beers.

/thread

I killed it. Lock this bitch

Edited by StassneyHorn

11 hours ago, &#x27;stache said:

This here is how you skewer the left with legit satire, and not the dumb toddler shit the right uses, and the lameness of the Babylon Bee in general. This is just spot fucking on commentary, especially when you consider Biden's past vis-à-vis the "War on Drugs." 

Skewer the left? While the onion piece is funny, and US drug laws are fucked up, I still have to ask, who do you think it’s the real impediment to legalization right now, you really think it’s congressional reps and senators from Oregon California Colorado and Washington as opposed to those from places like texas Louisiana Alabama and Mississippi? 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1

6 minutes ago, troph said:

Skewer the left? While the onion piece is funny, and US drug laws are fucked up, I still have to ask, who do you think it’s the real impediment to legalization right now, you really think it’s congressional reps and senators from Oregon California Colorado and Washington as opposed to those from places like texas Louisiana Alabama and Mississippi? 

Biden said he’s sign a bill but hasn’t done much else on the topic. Go find some of his “war on drugs” stuff from the past and his support of disastrous “crime bills.” I know it was a different time but there were plenty of people sounding alarms back then about the horrific consequences. I still like Joe well enough and would vote for him a million times over before ever even considering a modern republican but he’s wide open for valid criticism on stuff like this. The Onion does it just right in my opinion.

Edited by 'stache

Just now, &#x27;stache said:

Biden said he’s sign a bill but hasn’t done much else on the topic. Go find some of his “war on drugs” stuff from the past and his support of disastrous “crime bills.” I know it was a different time but there were plenty of people sounding alarms back then about the horrific consequences. I still like Joe well enough and would vote for him a million times over before ever even considering a modern republican but he’s wide open for valid criticism on stuff like this. 

I’m aware of his past, everyone was anti drugs anti gays anti everything in the past. Talking now, I explicitly said now, and that truth is republicans won’t do it and if dems do they will be roasted by republicans. You can’t be a conservative and honestly say democrats are the problem on drug reform, you can be a democrat and be frustrated dems won’t move fast enough. Intellectual honesty is a good character trait, I know you’ve got it in you. 

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, troph said:

I’m aware of his past, everyone was anti drugs anti gays anti everything in the past. Talking now, I explicitly said now, and that truth is republicans won’t do it and if dems do they will be roasted by republicans. You can’t be a conservative and honestly say democrats are the problem on drug reform, you can be a democrat and be frustrated dems won’t move fast enough. Intellectual honesty is a good character trait, I know you’ve got it in you. 

I’ve never said anything to the contrary. I’m saying the Onion did a great satire on the subject which is much better and different than anything the right tries to pass off as humor which is usually just saying he’s old and stutters sometimes. Hahahahahaha! Morons. It also satirizes the overriding serious issue that we say she’s wrongfully detained for petty drug charges while millions of people are currently incarcerated  here for similar shit. Sure it’s not Biden’s fault entirely and he can’t do much in states that impose this bullshit but the satire is good and relevant. That’s the only point I’m making.

Edited by 'stache
  • Like 1

11 hours ago, 'stache said:

Looks like you did say it. I really don’t care but the spectator sports component of politics one of the biggest problems with our political discourse. 

US drug laws are arcane and need major reform, and at one point both sides supported that crap, even Biden who was a major force back then. It was misguided then and crystal clear now.  every non violent and marijuana only drug offender under a certain quantity of weed should be released now. And BG should come home and no American should be in a Russian prison cell, period. All of the above can be true.  Roast the left? How about the onion simply roasted the dysfunctional politics of drug policy in the US?  Skewer the left? Get the fuck out of here with that shit. 

• Hook 'Em 2

2 minutes ago, troph said:

Looks like you did say it. I really don’t care but the spectator sports component of politics one of the biggest problems with our political discourse. 

US drug laws are arcane and need major reform, and at one point both sides supported that crap, even Biden who was a major force back then. It was misguided then and crystal clear now.  every non violent and marijuana only drug offender under a certain quantity of weed should be released now. And BG should come home and no American should be in a Russian prison cell, period. All of the above can be true.  Roast the left? How about the onion simply roasted the dysfunctional politics of drug policy in the US?  Skewer the left? Get the fuck out of here with that shit. 

But they won’t. That’s the satire. Nobody should be above valid satire. It’s not like it’ll change anyones vote. Those who get it know it’s satire and will still vote for dems. Those who don’t get it or who take it too serious because it’s Biden are part of the hopeless well of fuckstains who will keep voting for fascists. I think it’s the Onion doing Onion things and I appreciate it.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, 'stache said:

But they won’t. That’s the satire. Nobody should be above valid satire. It’s not like it’ll change anyones vote. Those who get it know it’s satire and will still vote for dems. Those who don’t get it or who take it too serious because it’s Biden are part of the hopeless well of fuckstains who will keep voting for fascists. I think it’s the Onion doing Onion things and I appreciate it.

I too love this onion piece, I think it’s sharp, hard hitting and hilarious. But Again - you think this is a slam on the left and Biden, I don’t see that, Biden is the chief diplomat currently sure, but the satire is more in line with Anastasis’ comment about texas drug laws and how she would receive a prison sentence under our laws. It’s a slam on US hypocrisy and our jacked up drug laws. You’re the only one that sees this article as a slam of Biden or a slam of the political left, and while you say you aren’t playing team politics you are continuing to take the position that the failure to legalize weed is predominately Biden and the left’s fault. That’s an insane position when you look at states that have legalized it and what the current Republican backlash would be if the dems pursued this as a major policy initiative. 

Edited by troph

You’re completely misrepresenting everything I’ve said so I guess we’re done here. It’s not a “slam on Biden” or blaming the left, it’s satire, and it’s accurate. That’s literally it. You’re reading way more into my comments than what’s there. I’m comparing this to what the right passes as satire featuring Biden at al. which isn’t satire just stupid juvenile bs.

I've only read this page recently. I checked in after hearing the sentence. It made me sick to think of someone condemned to Russian prison for 9 years over something so small. 

I also see a strange effort to divorce sympathy from the equation because she deserves it or other people less famous are serving similar time or this country has been almost as bad (worse if you factor in racial inequality of treatment). 

I'm appalled that anyone is in jail for using or selling small amounts of marijuana. Even those caught moving bales of the stuff wouldn't even exist if we legalized something so commonly used to no ill effect. (Transparency: I've never used the stuff.)

As for her celebrity, I assume she was picked out largely due to celebrity, but I don't know that for certain. I'm sure her celebrity makes her a juicier subject for the news. I don't see why anyone should hold that against her.

I just wonder if another aspect of our pernicious culture pushes us to show strength by eliminating sympathy. Or perhaps it's because so many advertisements make their appeal through shallow sympathy. I don't know. I'm harder hearted than I was before, I'm sure.

Prison is different from other fates. It's needlessly terrifying, cruel, and dangerous, and we've learned to make it all a joke. I hate that. I hear nine year sentence, and I don't let the abstraction of a number block me from seeing what a huge segment of someone's life that is. I'm mortified.

Maybe she puts a face on the cruelty of prison for such a mild offense. Maybe this shines a little light on the cruelty of our own system. Then all we have to do is decide if we're proud or ashamed of it all.

• Hook 'Em 1

18 minutes ago, troph said:

You’re the only one that sees this article as a slam of Biden or a slam of the political left,

You're arguments are sound in terms of the left's part of the blame. However, the picture on the story is Biden's. He represents the US as a whole, but he is also the leader of the Democratic Party. The absurdity of the US wanting her to serve her sentence here points up our hypocrisy. That's it's Biden makes clear that it's not just Nancy Reagan and the right who bear responsibility.

I think you dig too hard at 'Stache's use of the word "slam." The piece slams us all including Biden and the Dems.

At least that's my interpretation. You're both making sense, and I think your positions are really close.

Edited by RomaVicta

15 minutes ago, RomaVicta said:

You're arguments are sound in terms of the left's part of the blame. However, the picture on the story is Biden's. He represents the US as a whole, but he is also the leader of the Democratic Party. The absurdity of the US wanting her to serve her sentence here points up our hypocrisy. That's it's Biden makes clear that it's not just Nancy Reagan and the right who bear responsibility.

I think you dig too hard at 'Stache's use of the word "slam." The piece slams us all including Biden and the Dems.

At least that's my interpretation. You're both making sense, and I think your positions are really close.

actually I don't think we are close at all. I'm saying the Onion piece is a both sides slam - the entirety of US marijuana drug policy, but 'stache's posts are all saying this is how you skewer the left and Biden.  not even close to the same.

Edited by troph

12 minutes ago, troph said:

actually I don't think we are close at all. I'm saying the Onion piece is a both sides slam - the entirety of US marijuana drug policy, but 'stache's posts are all saying this is how you skewer the left and Biden.  not even close to the same.

Hey, I like you a lot, but between this and the self-employed stuff in the inflation thread, you're kind of going off on people this morning for how you perceive something they said and not what they said. 

It's all good, it's Friday, be happy

13 hours ago, &#x27;stache said:

Would she be going back in time? Not sure what Biden’s past has to do with anything otherwise. She plays for Phoenix. Assuming she makes her home in Arizona, possession of the amount of cannabis oil she had in Russia is legal there. And Biden isn’t prosecuting federal drug laws.

12 hours ago, StassneyHorn said:

I have friends that usually put amounts of coke and weed in their checked on bags that aren’t enough to indicate they’re selling. It’s usually edibles with weed, if it’s coke they’re putting them in capsules and in GNC vitamin bottles. She was wreckless, but had definitely done it a million times before and they chose to stop taking advantage of whatever money Russian womens basketball makes for the country and to attack the demographic that’s most likely to support Joey Beers.

/thread

I killed it. Lock this bitch

Yeah, you did, but not in the way you think.

Sad that so many on the Right are celebrating her prison sentence. Or even if they shrug their shoulders and say that they don't feel right judging another country's laws.

I completely agree that she made at least 2 poor choices but neither should warrant her imprisonment for 9 years. You have to be a jackass to think that is a reasonable sentence.

16 minutes ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

Sad that so many on the Right are celebrating her prison sentence. Or even if they shrug their shoulders and say that they don't feel right judging another country's laws.

I completely agree that she made at least 2 poor choices but neither should warrant her imprisonment for 9 years. You have to be a jackass to think that is a reasonable sentence.

Is it more or less sad than the COVID FAFO thread where the kind hearted people on here celebrate the deaths of people they disagree with politically?

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Fuck You 1

9 minutes ago, Johnny Sack said:

Is it more or less sad than the COVID FAFO thread where the kind hearted people on here celebrate the deaths of people they disagree with politically?

What's political about believing vaccines work? You're allowed to have an opinion, but you're not allowed to be immune from mockery, especially when you fucking die because you refuse to get a safe injection that probably would have prevented it.

15 minutes ago, 4th&amp;Five said:

If you choose not to get a vaccine and die of covid I will laugh at you no matter where you stand politically.

I feel the same about someone who is stupid enough to travel to and carry drugs in Russia.  It's far riskier than not taking a vaccine for a disease that has an IFR of about .1% for those under 65.

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Fuck You 1

3 hours ago, Js1 said:

Hey, I like you a lot, but between this and the self-employed stuff in the inflation thread, you're kind of going off on people this morning for how you perceive something they said and not what they said. 

It's all good, it's Friday, be happy

it's the new and improved troph, why be the nice one here?  message received I'll tone it down. however, saying "SE folks don't pay shit" was 100% false and is insulting to SE folks who are actually the ones that pay through the nose compared to everyone else (this is a fact if you remove cheaters from the equation) and saying that lack of legalization or drug criminal laws is the left/Biden's fault is 100% false.  this is the cloak room and I'm pretty tired of the BS gamesmanship, the fuck the libertards and frankly I have no problem with rational conservatives who aren't christofacists, in lah lah fox news land, or on Q-fantasty island.  but our country is broken and I'm tired of being kind. 

It wasn't THAT long ago that everyone thought Russia was an enemy not to be trusted. there are actual conservatives who fall in agreement with Russia and Putin, that's crazy. This shit at least needs to stop at the shores.

Bring ALL of them home.

speaking of facists like Putin, fuck ken paxton.

Edited by troph
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Fuck You 1

3 hours ago, RomaVicta said:

I've only read this page recently. I checked in after hearing the sentence. It made me sick to think of someone condemned to Russian prison for 9 years over something so small. 

I also see a strange effort to divorce sympathy from the equation because she deserves it or other people less famous are serving similar time or this country has been almost as bad (worse if you factor in racial inequality of treatment). 

I'm appalled that anyone is in jail for using or selling small amounts of marijuana. Even those caught moving bales of the stuff wouldn't even exist if we legalized something so commonly used to no ill effect. (Transparency: I've never used the stuff.)

As for her celebrity, I assume she was picked out largely due to celebrity, but I don't know that for certain. I'm sure her celebrity makes her a juicier subject for the news. I don't see why anyone should hold that against her.

I just wonder if another aspect of our pernicious culture pushes us to show strength by eliminating sympathy. Or perhaps it's because so many advertisements make their appeal through shallow sympathy. I don't know. I'm harder hearted than I was before, I'm sure.

Prison is different from other fates. It's needlessly terrifying, cruel, and dangerous, and we've learned to make it all a joke. I hate that. I hear nine year sentence, and I don't let the abstraction of a number block me from seeing what a huge segment of someone's life that is. I'm mortified.

Maybe she puts a face on the cruelty of prison for such a mild offense. Maybe this shines a little light on the cruelty of our own system. Then all we have to do is decide if we're proud or ashamed of it all.

I missed this. I agree with this 100% and wish I could agree more and if I were nicer today I'd probably say it kind of like you did here but not as beautifully.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

11 hours ago, Johnny Sack said:

Learn how analogies work. If Brittney Griner had laughed off international drug laws, announced she was taking drugs into Russia, was arrested/sentenced; only then would it be the same as COVID FAFO. I don't think she did that, but I'm open to seeing any evidence you can produce.

No one was celebrating people who just didn't believe in vaccines and ultimately died of COVID. The FAFO threads were people that actively trying to get others to also not take the vaccine or take COVID seriously.

11 hours ago, Johnny Sack said:

No. Fuck no…

11 hours ago, 4th&amp;Five said:

If you choose not to get a vaccine and die of covid I will laugh at you no matter where you stand politically.

Exactly.  What a miserable time to be in healthcare.  As if I gave one fuck about how someone voted when they’re being a raging lunatic in the hospital yelling about vaccines and conspiracies.  

• Hook 'Em 1

16 hours ago, troph said:

It doesn’t even take Congress. Biden can direct the DEA to remove THC from the scheduled substances list. 

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...